Username Post: Info on altering a birdhouset        (Topic#1597999)
mindygail
Expert
mindygail

Hi I just bought a cute 9 " birdhouse and I want to give it to my Mom for Christmas so I am waiting a few months or weeks to do it but I am curious how do I alter it I don't think I want to paint it I would prefer to cover it with paper I guess. If anyone has ideas about this please let me know!!
thanks
mg

southgirl
Veteran
southgirl
In response to mindygail

Paint it first, a neutral color like beige and then ink the edges (with the closest color to your paper. I make templates out of scrap paper then cut to fit the house letting the inked edges show a bit. (it is really hard to get the paper to go all the way to the edges.)

Veteran
In response to mindygail

What a lovely idea for your Mum!
I haven't altered a birdhouse, but I have done other wooden things, and what Southgirl said is absolutely the best way to start!
Looking forward to seeing the finished project....

southern lady
Mayor
southern lady
In response to christiscraps61

why don't you look at the gallery here

mindygail
Expert
mindygail
In response to southern lady

thanks guys, oh I went to your link southernlady and I did not see anything other than a blog but nothing about a birdhouse. Don't know what it up with that.
I bet the edges are hard to get a smooth edge on , and are you saying ink the edges of the patterned paper or ink the birdhouse itself -(not sure hope I don't sound naïve)
ok well I am going to try out the ranger melting pot that I got today wish me luck!!!

mindygail
Expert
mindygail
In response to mindygail

should I cover it with gesso or paint?? I do not have any paint well I have two bottles of peach paint would that be better than gesso?Not sure.
thanks
mg

Veteran
In response to mindygail

Hi Mindy,
I have always used craft acrylic paint...usually Kaisercraft or JoSonia. I always use the small ink pads like versacube to ink the edges of the wood after it is painted...they are small and spongy so they work well for that!

southgirl
Veteran
southgirl
In response to christiscraps61

I inked both the edge of the birdhouse and the paper.

mindygail
Expert
mindygail
In response to southgirl

oh ok will do !

northcarmen
Veteran
northcarmen
In response to mindygail

I think the person who mentioned the gallery meant the scrapbook.com gallery, not the blog in her signature. If you search "birdhouse" under "other" (ie. not layouts or cards), there are 682 images.

Gesso works similarly in this case to the primer you would use when painting a wall -- it prepares the wood to receive the paper or paint, and gives a blank slate to work from. If you put peach paint directly on wood, then the colour would not be true peach, it would be peach with a wood undertone. Here is some information: http://www.artistsjournals.com/instruction/gesso.htm

There are also examples of altered birdhouses on Pinterest or Google Images.

Carmen.

southern lady
Mayor
southern lady
In response to northcarmen

• northcarmen Said:
I think the person who mentioned the gallery meant the scrapbook.com gallery, not the blog in her signature. If you search "birdhouse" under "other" (ie. not layouts or cards), there are 682 images.

Gesso works similarly in this case to the primer you would use when painting a wall -- it prepares the wood to receive the paper or paint, and gives a blank slate to work from. If you put peach paint directly on wood, then the colour would not be true peach, it would be peach with a wood undertone. Here is some information: http://www.artistsjournals.com/instruction/gesso.htm

There are also examples of altered birdhouses on Pinterest or Google Images.

Carmen.

yea I meant the gallery here. you might find some on here

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics