Username Post: The cost of patterned paper these days.        (Topic#1598061)
Mia1979
Diva
Mia1979

Excuse me but are ALL the new papers $.99 and up????? Paper is so expense these days. I have papers from 10 years ago I remember they were so reasonable but now the new stuff costs much more. Anyone notice that??

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 08-13-14 01:08 PM
In response to Mia1979

Well, everything's more expensive than it was ten years ago Packs are probably a better deal, as long as you like the majority of it.

Veteran
In response to Mia1979

It is frustrating and annoying, I agree!
Spare a thought too for us Aussies, we pay even more than you gals.....

RedSquirrel UK
Diva
RedSquirrel UK
In response to christiscraps61

Yup, and in the UK too. DCWV stacks retail at £19 (US$32) in London, I discovered the other day to my horror.

Everything's gone up though.

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny
In response to RedSquirrel UK

Sugartree paper is still 69 cents, American Crafts is frequently on sale her for that amount, and the patterned papers at Joann's are frequently on sale for 25 to 50 cents (I know a lot of people have a problem with the freshness of their product, but some of it has served me well over and over, and I find it refreshing to, for once, find paper I like and not have to fear that it will disappear from the market forever within a few months).

Expert
In response to aquabunny

Unless I'm buying store brand paper from Hobby Lobby, almost all of the paper I buy these days is double sided which explains why it's all at least a dollar...getting pricey, but that's life...

950nancy
Diva
950nancy
In response to HuskerMom98

I love a good sale at J's. When they have 6 for $1, I stock up. If I want the new stuff, I know I am going to pay at least a buck for it.

ashley.calder
Veteran
ashley.calder
In response to 950nancy

At a dollar a sheet, I can't just buy everything. I usually wait for a sale and buy what I know I'm going to use or hopefully enjoying having in my stash for a good long while.

I seem to think paper was around 50 cents a sheet when I started buying it around 10 years ago. Given that it was thinner paper (actual paper, not cardstock like pretty much all open stock patterned paper is today), and that it was 10 years ago, I think .90-1.00 a sheet isn't TOO unreasonable.

Mia1979
Diva
Mia1979
In response to ashley.calder

I bought alot of paper over the years and I've seen the prices creep up. I am a paper hoarder so I have new paper that I bought in 2012 and 2013 big names I love to collect. I would buy and buy but now my available income is less so I can't shop willy nilly I'll just use what I have until I see something I think I may want but these prices are crazy high now.

Doreena
Governor
Doreena
In response to Mia1979

• Mia1979 Said:
I bought alot of paper over the years and I've seen the prices creep up. I am a paper hoarder so I have new paper that I bought in 2012 and 2013 big names I love to collect. I would buy and buy but now my available income is less so I can't shop willy nilly I'll just use what I have until I see something I think I may want but these prices are crazy high now.

"When I was a kid..." PP used to cost a dime! LOL!
JK...
But truly it's most likely just inflation...
Everything goes up!
Except our pay! Errrrr!

*Oops! Didn't mean to "quote" you...just meant to "reply" I guess I hit the wrong button!

Edited by Doreena on 08-14-14 08:39 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

andrea m
Mayor
andrea m
In response to Doreena

I love that most papers are double sided and a cardstock thickness. I don't like thin papers. I know that the cost went up when the quality went up. I don't mind paying more for better paper.

olleharr
Mayor
olleharr
In response to andrea m

I never buy paper unless it is on sale. I have so much now I could probably go a couple years without buying any. But what fun is that?

provinca
Mayor
provinca
In response to olleharr

I'm with most of the other ladies here -- I have so much that I really could go a LONG time without having to buy . . . but I still do I've become much more selective in what I buy as well as more price conscious though. I don't HAVE to have the newest lines as soon as they come out, and have learned (the hard way - LOL) to wait until they go on sale. I do love to buy collections so that I have coordinating papers (and sometimes embellishments) so I buy a few pieces at a time when I find them on sale.

Although I haven't bought here in a while, but sb.com used to have a good clearance deal every so often. Every 4th clearance item was free -- that was a good way to get some collections. Also, I do love Webster's Pages, and they have an awesome warehouse sale deal every year -- it's next week I think -- and I always get a boat load of paper then!

OlesyaK.
Diva
OlesyaK.
In response to RedSquirrel UK

• RedSquirrel Said:
Yup, and in the UK too. DCWV stacks retail at £19 (US$32) in London, I discovered the other day to my horror.

Everything's gone up though.

not to mention the shipping!!! it's soo heavy and being 12*12, not a standard shipping size.
I recall seeing a very good deal on very good paper just recently, but the shipping fees were more than the price of the paper!!!

thelightupnorth
Tenant
thelightupnorth
In response to OlesyaK.

I switched to 8x8 LOs and love getting a full LO plus scraps out of one 12x12 paper... (That's not why I switched, but it ended up being a nice side effect...) I've also switched to using patterned paper along with card stock - layering and cutting out the back/hidden bits, making sure to punch tags or other simple shapes out of scraps... Anything to help stretch what I can get from one sheet of paper...lol

bonprof
Mayor
bonprof
In response to olleharr

I buy paper often; Im so worried that it will be discontinued.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics