Username Post: Best Paper Cutter?        (Topic#1598159)
New Kid On the Block

I have been using a basic Fiskars paper cutter for several years. Had to upgrade since they stopped making the blades for the one I had. So I bought the Fiskars rotary cutter (basic one) and I hated it. I simply could not accurately place the cutter where I wanted to cut. My cousin says her favorite is the Cutterpede, but as far as I can tell, it is no longer made. So I would love to hear what cutter you experts like the best. I don't want to spend a ton of money (I've seen some for $100!). I now have another basic Fiskars cutter but I am not totally happy with the quality.

southern lady
Mayor
southern lady
In response to suebee749

Fiskars paper cutter i have this to. but i found at one of my scrapbook store they still have blades there. i would like to know what kind of cutter is good incase i have to buy a new one

rubymillerand
Guru
rubymillerand
In response to southern lady

I used the cricut trimmer for several years and I absolutely hated it. The blades become dull very quickly and would catch and tear the paper. The "arm" piece that held the blade in place would never hold the paper in place properly. The extra rule that would stretch out to measure the full 12 inches never lined up straight and no matter how many times I adjusted it, all my papers came out crooked.

http://store.scrapbook.com/nm-290297.html

This link should show what the trimmer looks like.

Resident
In response to suebee749

I have a Carl DC212 trimmer, which I love....have had it for years, never changed the blade, always cuts straight..did I mention that I love it !!!! Yes, they are quite expensive, but to me it has been worth every cent.
I have tried to use friends cutters over the years, mainly fiskars, and just could not get the hang of them....
I will always be a Carl girl

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 08-21-14 05:47 PM
In response to christiscraps61

I've pondered a Carl .... the size (I live in a tiny apartment) and the cost compared to how much I realistically know I'll use it, have so far kept me from one. But a premium cutter would be a joy to use!

Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 08-21-14 06:08 PM
In response to stick

I think the Purple Cow set I got was my favorite. I "upgraded" to a cutterpillar pro but I am not as happy with it and I find myself digging my purple cow one out regularly. It has a guillotine and a rotary blade and I always got great cuts. I got the cutterpillar because I thought the light would help me but I've discovered that a lot of what I cut, having a light underneath doesn't do any good.

gin1902
Diva
gin1902
In response to Vae

I've got a Purple Cow and been happy with it. I haven't used any of the specialty blades yet, but the guillotine seems accurate and it's been easy to use.

Solitaire
Veteran
Solitaire
In response to gin1902

I love the one by Martha Stewart and use it constantly. It's small and expands to a larger size.

Not sure if the one listed here is the same one I have. They do carry it at Michael's and AC Moore.
Products Referenced in This Post:

RedSquirrel
Diva
RedSquirrel
In response to Solitaire

Wait. The Cutterpede is being discontinued? Nooooooo....

That's what I have (if you hadn't guessed) and I love it. Light, portable, can't cut yourself even if you tried, accurate, clean cut. I could go on.

I suppose I need to go out and stock up on accessories.

RedSquirrel
Diva
RedSquirrel
In response to RedSquirrel

Hubby and I did some investigation yesterday after you scared the pants off me with the Cutterpede "no longer made" comment. It looks as if EK Success have rebranded their Cutterpede as the Straight Edge Trimmer (on their site), or Rotary Paper Trimmer in the Superstore here.

The new one is grey with a yellow cutting strip, but from what I can tell, all the specifications seem identical to the Cutterpede. I'm very much hoping that all the shuttles and cuttings mats are interchangeable - I see no reason why they wouldn't be.

Hmm. Grey and yellow would make a nice change from my pretty lilac workhorse with the cracked arm and broken clip.

New Kid On the Block
In response to RedSquirrel

Thanks so much! I will have to look at EK Success cutters. Seems from the responses here that everyone has her own favorite! I appreciate everyone's advice!

Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 08-23-14 04:21 PM
In response to suebee749

Do you have an LSS nearby that might have some you could try? Or maybe you could go to a crop somewhere and try out other peoples before you commit to one. I lucked into my purple cow ones because they were really cheap at costco and I needed something right away. So I haven't tried most of those other ones.

New Kid On the Block
In response to Vae

My Fiskars trimmers are the best I've used. I had a basic one and I thought it was giving out so I purchased a the cutterpede and didn't like it. I then upgraded to the cutterpillar pro when they had a special promotion. For the price I was really disappointed, mine never lined up right and the blade frayed the edges of my papers. I finally got a replacement but haven't opened it to use. I've gone back to Fiskars but it is the best I've found.

New Kid On the Block
In response to mrsrfwii

I appreciate everyone's comments. It seems like many of the cutters have quality control issues so that some of them are coming out of the factory in less than perfect shape. My first Fiskars basic cutter was great, my second not so great.

Sunnydi
Queen
Sunnydi
In response to suebee749

I love the xacto laser cutter; guillotine style.

for crops I take the Fiskars wider trimmer..

binkiemonstermom
Idol
binkiemonstermom
In response to Sunnydi

I have several trimmers.

My BEST most prized one is my genesis......but I don't even go into detail since it is expensive!!!

I love the cutter pillar as well- very much like the genesis but not as expensive.

But honestly the one I use most often is my Stampin' Up trimmer. I love that the blades last awhile and they now offer a rotary arm for the same trimmer!

Any of these three are great trimmers, I think I use my SU one most because it is portable. The cutter pillar isn't bad, I have taken it to crops, but the genesis NEVER leaves my house- to heavy and delicate.

olleharr
Mayor
olleharr
In response to binkiemonstermom

I finally just invested in a an office guillotine style paper cutter a couple years ago and have never regretted it. No more blade replacing. Sharp, clean cut every time. Plus I can do multiple sheet trimming at the same time which comes in handy for card making. I just got mine at an office supply store.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics