Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: Distress Inks        (Topic#1598165)
Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 08-21-14 06:26 PM

Is anyone else kind of torn over getting the new mini distress inks? I have the entire set of 48 regular distress inks. I've had them for a year or two now, but in all that time I've never found a storage solution that I liked. Well now there are these mini distress inks with those adorable little tins. I'm totally kicking myself for buying all the large pads now... and even though it would cost a small fortune, I'm contemplating buying the minis/tins and getting rid of my big ones. I'd love your opinions on these... is there a reason to still have the larger pads? Is there anything you can do with these that the minis wouldn't do?

AmyWho
AmyWho 
Mayor
AmyWho
In response to Vae

The mini ones are cute and all, but I can't think of a really good reason for me to switch to them.

olleharr
Mayor
olleharr
In response to Vae

I totally get what you mean. I have a few of the large ones but I am kinda liking those minis too. I got lucky and won a set to try out and would definitely buy those over the larger ones any day. But I don't know if I can get rid of the large ones just yet. I hate to waste the money.

950nancy
Diva
950nancy
In response to Vae

Vae, I have the first 9 out of 12 mini sets and love them. I store 12 of them in a 5 x 7 plastic photo container (maybe IRIS). The inks are about 1.25" I put a thick layer of black foam on the bottom and a 1/2 layer of foam on the side so they are snug and do not move. They fit perfectly. They also make tin cases for them for $9.99. I didn't want to spend $40 on cases for them. But they look really nice.

Luvmyfam
Governor
Luvmyfam
In response to 950nancy

The minis are so cute, and I would buy them if I were just starting out. My big ones are a pain to store and take to crops, but I have no plans to replace them until they up and die.

M.mouse
New Kid On the Block
M.mouse
In response to Luvmyfam

I have all the big ones and love them. I am not getting rid of them. But I love the minis. I am slowly getting them all and already bought the tins for storage.

susanlk
Veteran
susanlk
In response to M.mouse

I'm still on the fence. I don't like re-buying something I already have, but it would be so much easier to take to crops. I wouldn't get rid of my larger ones. But if the larger ones got worn out, I wouldn't replace them if I had the minis.

I may start out with the neutral mini set since I use those colors the most.

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 08-22-14 06:58 AM
In response to susanlk

I have all the original Distress Ink pads. I won some minis here on INSD, and they're cute and obviously easier to store and to travel with (which I do almost never) but I certainly wouldn't want both sizes. If I were just starting out .... I'd probably buy the small ones solely because they're cheaper, but at this point I think I have a preference for the larger ones. And of course I love my storage box (it's full now, lol). It doesn't hold ALL of the inks (it's 3 shy, as I recall), but I have a second box with those and other brands of ink.

Distress Ink storage, closed By Stick

southern lady
Mayor
southern lady
In response to stick

i have a few big ones. I am kind of liking those minis too. I think I will buy the little ones when I have the money for them

RedSquirrel
Diva
RedSquirrel
In response to southern lady

Stick I LOVE that storage box!

Vae, I only have 12 large ones and I'm not happy with my storage for them either. They're just in 3 stacks of 4 in a drawer. I know which are in each stack, but getting them out is a PITA. The lids come off when I try to lift them out and I get coloured fingernails. I love that they stack for space saving, but picking up the one you want from the stack is so awkward. Or maybe I'm just uncoordinated!

Having said that, as the others said, I wouldn't buy duplicates. They cost half a mint here.

Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 08-22-14 08:36 AM
In response to RedSquirrel

• RedSquirrel Said:
Stick I LOVE that storage box!

Vae, I only have 12 large ones and I'm not happy with my storage for them either. They're just in 3 stacks of 4 in a drawer. I know which are in each stack, but getting them out is a PITA. The lids come off when I try to lift them out and I get coloured fingernails. I love that they stack for space saving, but picking up the one you want from the stack is so awkward. Or maybe I'm just uncoordinated!

This is exactly the problem I have as well. I find myself not using them as much unless they are the ones on top, because the lids come off so easily when I'm trying to dig one out.

Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 08-22-14 08:39 AM
In response to Vae

Kara I love that container too! If my OCD weren't so out of control I'd get that, but I have this thing about having all 48 of them together.

Thanks everyone for your replies. I'm glad I'm not alone in this. Hubs said he would help me build a storage rack for my bigger ones if I wanted. I think I'm going to price out how much it would cost to build one and how much time it would take. Right now mine are in a shoebox that sits on it's side and it frustrates me every time I need to get to it.

andrea m
Diva
andrea m
In response to Vae

I have all the distress inks and I have an ink shelf for them. I was considering the minis because the pad seems to be raised higher. I was thinking they wood be good to quickly grab and ink edges without the inking tool. For those that have them is this true or do they have the same pad thickness?

I find myself not using mine just because of having to use the tool. Grabbing my prima chalk edger is so much easier.

Expert
In response to Vae

I have about 25 of the regular size pads and I store them in an 8x8 Iris box along with some brushes, sponges, and blenders that I use with the inks...but it's just a little too full and doesn't like to close easily! I would much rather try to store the minis, but I can't justify buying new ones. Had I known the "limited edition" sets would be released as minis I would have waited on those along with a few other colors, but I do like the regular size for my regularly used ones. If I went to as many crops a year as I used to go to then I might consider getting some of the ones I use a lot as minis, but I only go to a couple now.

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 08-22-14 01:59 PM
In response to HuskerMom98

The little pads are quite easy for inking edges, but I don't have any problems using the big pads for this either.

Recently got a set of the Primas and I'm quite liking them, I think I'll be needing more

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 08-22-14 02:03 PM
In response to stick

Vae, I'm pretty OCD about having all the same things together, but since I have other brands of ink pads as well, I just think of my two boxes as "all the ink" and the 3 Distress that don't fit in the first box don't bother me at all.

SherylEb
Idol
SherylEb
In response to stick

I don't have quite all the large ones, but close. I'm not a big fan of using them to ink edges straight from the pad. For me, it's that the pad is firm. No give to it. Probably just my technique. But I love using them with the blending tool. When I do a whole background with the blending tool, I like the larger pad, just because I think there is more ink. I use the big blending tools and the mini tools. I have foams for both I velcro to the bottom of the ink pad and just switch out with a few of the wooden tools themselves. For me to ink edges only, I like Prima.

I store mine in this holder below.

Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 08-22-14 05:37 PM
In response to SherylEb

I have never tried the prima inks. Maybe I should pick up a few of them. I agree, I don't ink edges directly from the distress pad. I tried that last weekend on the minis and they were kind of the same as the bigger pads and I used the round blending tool instead. I don't know why, but I like the round blending tool so much better than the rectangle ones. They just seem to blend better for me.

I'll also admit, a big reason I want the minis is just because they're so darn cute. I love anything in a mini size. lol

950nancy
Diva
950nancy
In response to Vae

The minis come in 48 colors. That is a plus. My favorite inks are the Primas. They are like little paint buckets. They store easily in see through plastic containers.

Resident
In response to 950nancy

This is coming from someone who has one distress ink pad total, so take this with a grain of salt, but wouldn't it take longer to ink the edges (if you inked the page directly from the pad) with a mini than it would with a large one? Would that be the advantage (that and they don't wear out as fast because you have more ink in the bigger ones)?
Just thinking out loud here.

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics