Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: Cuttlebug question        (Topic#1598169)
RedSquirrel UK
Diva
RedSquirrel UK

I have had my Cuttlebug since 2008 - love it to bits. But... has anyone else found that they don't cut through some of the really intricate dies?

I had a Spellbinders D-Lites Whimsical Tree die which has never cut properly. Last week I really wanted a tree silhouette so I tried again. And again, and again. Moved it all round the edges of the plate. Added a shim. Added another shim. THEN my C plate cracked. And it still hadn't cut through.

I returned the stupid die and ordered a new C plate and a different brand die, similar size and design. I just tried out the new die - and I've got the same problem. It cuts the outside edges and the trunk, but not the middle. Multiple passes moving the die around the plate, then one shim, and I've finally got it to come out with about 10 minutes of tweezing, teasing and tearing. I'm SO disappointed.

All my existing dies are fine, and I have a ton. Many are really detailed, but cut with no problem.

So is it the die, or my bug? Could something have come adrift inside? Are Cuttlebugs adjustable?

Please tell me about your experiences with this kind of die?

Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 08-22-14 08:44 AM
In response to RedSquirrel UK

I don't have a cuttlebug, but I had a similar issue with my Vintaj big kick. Pretty much from when I first got it, it didn't cut or emboss evenly... it cut through on the outside edges and was so shallow on the inside. I finally called customer service (who was amazing, btw) and they said that the bearings inside can wear out. Even though mine was new, they said it was probably that. So they sent me 2 sets of bearings (free of charge because it was still under warranty). I couldn't figure out how to take the thing apart but I turned it over to the hubs and he had it apart in no time. But then he asked me which ones needed replacing. Apparently, there are 4 sets of bearings in there. I don't remember which ones he replaced but it seemed to work better after that.

Since the cuttlebug isn't made by the same company as the Big kick, I don't know if the issue would be similar.

Edited by Vae on 08-22-14 08:48 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

andrea m
Mayor
andrea m

I have had this problem with some of my intricate spellbinders dies and thinner dies. I have a real problem with some of the th dies. I have tried all the things you mentioned above and still do not seem to get a clean cut. I have also had my cuttlebug as long as you. I am not sure what the problem is. It is really frustrating and I hate to have to buy something else.

flintridgescrapper
Diva
flintridgescrapper
In response to andrea m

Rosey, I had the exact problem with my Cuttlebug. It's so annoying. I asked this question quite a while back, and the only thing that worked for me was to use blue painters tape over the areas that don't cut. This gives just enough extra bulk that it works.....sometimes I'll see if I can find the thread and link the answers for you.

flintridgescrapper
Diva
flintridgescrapper
In response to flintridgescrapper

http://www.scrapbook.com/forums/showtopic.php?tid/15941...

susanlk
Expert
susanlk
In response to flintridgescrapper

I have that tree die, but haven't used it yet.

The intricate Prima flower dies are giving me fits. I also have some intricate doily dies (can't remember which brand) that I had trouble with. I was going to pull out my Grand Calibur for the doilies, but now I can't find the doily dies.

I will have to try the painter's tape or washi tape on my Prima flower dies the next time I have time to experiment.

RedSquirrel UK
Diva
RedSquirrel UK
In response to susanlk

I'd forgotten the painter's/masking tape. I will try that. However if the shims cracked my C plate, it must already be pretty tight in there. I'll try it with my cracked plate just in case.

Thanks Judy. Did that do the trick for you?

Susan, I haven't any doily dies - I'm scared to try them! Good luck.

Vae, I wonder whether Cuttlebugs have bearings too? I suppose they must have.

Andrea, let me know whether the masking tape works for you?

mrsdriver5
Diva
mrsdriver5

One site also mentions using a metal plate. Some people just cut some roof flashing to make the plate. I have no idea if it works, but quite a few people claimed it helped get the troublesome dies to cut better~ I recently bought a metal plate, but haven't used it yet.

MisasMom
Resident
MisasMom
In response to mrsdriver5

I just crank it back through a 2nd time without removing the plates from the machine. It usually does the trick.

RedSquirrel UK
Diva
RedSquirrel UK
In response to MisasMom

Pat, I always crank it through a 2nd time. Not working this time, or the other 6 times!

I've been investigating the metal plate Judy. It costs a tenner here, quite a lot. I need to think about it, but I might have to invest in one.

mrsdriver5
Diva
mrsdriver5

Rosey—I don't know if you have a home building/improvement type of store near you? They might have something small in the roofing dept. I was just thinking that many people say they use roof flashing, but they probably have repair flashing instead of needing to buy a whole roll of it.

olleharr
Mayor
olleharr

I've never had a problem with my cuttlebug. I have used a wide variety of thin and intricate dies but haven't tried the D-Lites yet. For a few of the dies running it through the 2nd time usually helps.

Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 08-22-14 05:39 PM
In response to olleharr

I have one of those metal plates, but I always forget about it. It's still in the package I think. I don't use my big kick very much for dies.. I always go to the cameo for that and I don't have very many actual dies. But I do have some d-lites which is why I got the metal plate. Guess I should try it one of these days.

mrsdriver5
Diva
mrsdriver5
In response to Vae

Most of my dies have to be run through the Cuttlebug a couple of times, but with Rosey's problem, I'm kind of worried since I have at least 10 of the d-lites, including a very intricate doily. I love the cameo, but I still use the 'bug more since it's so fast and easy.

ckair 
Veteran
  • ckair on 08-23-14 08:00 AM

I am just getting into card making and I have bought several Spellbinder dies and have had trouble getting them to cut out cleanly. I have one of the first cuttlebugs. Do you think it would help if I upgraded to the new Sissix die cutter? Thanks for your response

CrimsonMama
Mayor
CrimsonMama

Okey,

You probably tried this but.....I have a Grand Calibur and no matter what brand die, some of the more intricate ones don't cut well in the CENTER. I use my junior plates mostly, I run them thru' and then turn it and run thru sideways and this usually works.

RedSquirrel UK
Diva
RedSquirrel UK
In response to ckair

• ckair Said:
I am just getting into card making and I have bought several Spellbinder dies and have had trouble getting them to cut out cleanly. I have one of the first cuttlebugs. Do you think it would help if I upgraded to the new Sissix die cutter? Thanks for your response

My D-lites tree die was put through another original Cuttlebug, a V2 Cuttlebug and a Sizzix Big Shot with the same results. I have a suspicion, based on that, that it's unlikely to make much difference.

However all machines are different, even different machines of the same make/model/age. So it's very hard to advise.

Have you tried all the tips mentioned in this thread?

Juansmom
Idol
Juansmom

Hm, my guess is its the die, especially if it didn't cut correctly in all three of the machines.

Rosey, did you try fresh, clean plates? My B plates were warping, even though i flip and rotate them often. I noticed one of my Sizzix alpha strip dies were not cutting well, especially in the middle. I flipped, i rotated, i did the hokey pokey, nothing. so i eventually bought new B plates to use with the strip dies, no problems so far.

But...i still think perhaps its the die that's defective, especially if other dies cut properly.

RedSquirrel UK
Diva
RedSquirrel UK
In response to Juansmom

I was using my original and only A and C plates, and a fairly new B plate. I only cut into the B plate, not the C. I tried with the old warped, cut-up B plate as well, no different.

CorrieW
Guru
CorrieW

When my cuttlebug did that it progressed to non intricate dies quickly. I bought a big shot (better warranty). I didn't like the new version of the CB, the only complaint is that the big kick isn't as easy to take to crops. Otherwise I prefer it to the CB

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics