Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: whats the cheapest way to get letters in every font.        (Topic#1598205)
Veteran

Ok, so I started scrapping determined not to have to buy any tools. But now that I've seen how professional and awesome letters cut from diecut machines, I'm realizing that I really do need one at least for letters and words.

So that leads me to the question do I invest in a cameo sillhoutte so that I can hook it up to my computer and download the fonts, or do I look for an older used cricut and SCAL software. Which is cheaper?

Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 08-25-14 09:08 PM
In response to preraphaelitess

As far as I know, you can't really get the SCAL software anymore for a cricut, even if it's an older cricut. I tried for a long time with my cricut to find a version online anywhere and never could get it to work.

I eventually got the cameo and have never looked back. It's SO easy to get any font you want online. You just install it on your computer the same way you would to use it in a word processor, and there it is in the silhouette software, all ready to go. I get most of my fonts for free on various font sites, but there have been one or two I've paid for because they were perfect for what I needed.

Also with the silhouette, you can import regular images and trace them, or design your own. I confess that I buy a lot of images through the cameo site (just for sheer convenience) but you don't have to in order to get a lot of use out of it. No cartridges needed, and you don't have to pay anything monthly unless you want a subscription for images.

You can download the silhouette software from their site for free (for the regular version) and play with it and see how you like it before you invest in the machine. I highly recommend doing that, and watch a few youtube videos as well to see the basics.

RedSquirrel UK
Diva
RedSquirrel UK
In response to Vae

You already know that I would go with the Silhouette every time!

NMscrapper
Governor
NMscrapper
In response to RedSquirrel UK

Cameo! I agree with Vae, you can download any font you need free from the Internet. Plus, you can easily manipulate them to fit your project.

But that's not nearly all the Cameo has to offer. The possibilities are endless and such fun to play with. In fact, I have my Cricut Expression and about 100 cartridges for sale right now, because I haven't touched it since the Cameo came into my life, LOL.

Expert
In response to NMscrapper

I'm with Red Squirrel---I will always and forever recommend a Cameo (unless someone doesn't own a computer...). Being able to cut almost any TTF is fabulous, along with the other benefits fo Print & Cuts, importing and tracing designs, etc.

southern lady
Governor
southern lady
In response to HuskerMom98

I'm with Red Squirrel---I will always and forever recommend a Cameo
I just got mine in June my mom bought it for me. I am still get use to it.

anda11
anda11 
Governor
anda11
In response to southern lady

I am a happy Cameo user too..:) you might as well take the plunge:)

Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 08-26-14 09:06 AM
In response to anda11

Another thing to mention about the silhouette is the customer service. I'm not sure how cricut's newest product handles fonts, but I know that in the past, I've heard so many more issues that people have had dealing with cricut. With silhouette, when there are issues, seems like all I hear are good stories about how wonderful and helpful the people were. I've only ever had one issue with my cameo (bad blade) and they made it right immediately. In my book, that's worth quite a lot.

Cloverlady
Queen
Cloverlady
In response to Vae

I have the cricut explore and I love it it does fonts beautifully. I do agree that their customer service is not he best though.

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny
In response to Cloverlady

Cameo all the way. Even if it isn't the cheapest way (I have no idea), it is certainly less convoluted and time consuming.

ChansGram
Queen
ChansGram
In response to aquabunny

I agree with everyone so far- get the Cameo!!
I have the Cameo, Cricut Expression and Cricut Explore.
The Explore is by the the best of all the Cricuts.
But if you don't already own any of the cartridges to use with the Cricut cutters, I'd go the other direction and get the Cameo.
Had the Cameo been around ( or if I had known about it) I would of went for the Cameo from the get go. You won't be disappointed with the Cameo! Good luck with your decision.

ashley.calder
Veteran
ashley.calder
In response to ChansGram

I don't know the answer to your question about which system is cheaper. But I do want to say that my Silhouette Cameo is the only die cutting system I've ever had, and I absolutely love it. I always recommend it to anyone considering buying a cutting system!

New Kid On the Block
In response to ashley.calder

Not to enable or anything, but the cameo and portrait bundles are on sale right now.

RedSquirrel UK
Diva
RedSquirrel UK
In response to Momtomy2

Veteran
In response to RedSquirrel UK

Hey, I'm all for enabling. LOL! I guess I was trying to see if there was a way around getting a cameo. It would be my birthday/Christmas/scrapb ook budget for a year. So I was thinking if I could get a used cricut with some SCAL software from ebay, and then maybe one of these
http://store.scrapbook.com/fisshap.html
so I don't have to buy all those expensive cartridges.
Products Referenced in This Post:

Edited by preraphaelitess on 08-27-14 07:40 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny

Yeah, I really think you'll come out ahead with a Silhouette instead. It wouldn't have to be the Cameo, it could be the Portrait, which is smaller but also cheaper.

Veteran
In response to aquabunny

ooh! Checking out portrait right now!

Veteran

Thank you, aquabunny! I think that is the perfect solution. It's a much better price for me and still will execute the main functions I need it to peform.

Juansmom
Idol
Juansmom

Imho, that fiskars shape cutter is a waste of money...you can have mine if u feel u must have it!! Very Low Mileage!!

Juansmom
Idol
Juansmom
In response to Juansmom

I'd suggest a manual die cut machine like a Cuttlebug and some alphabet dies, bc it seems like a reasonable starting point, which is what I did. However, being a new Cameo owner...I'm wondering why I didn't get the Cameo a LOT earlier!!! I've spent a LOT of $$ on stuff that can approximate what the Cameo can do, Thickers, journal cards, borders, die cuts, punches...and in hindsight I wish I'd been ballsy enuff to just make the initial investment earlier. BUUUT, then I wouldn't have as many toys....

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics