Page 1 of 152 
Username Post: Texas        (Topic#998911)
Kels
Kels 
Marketing Goddess
Kels
  • Kels on 03-31-05 02:08 PM

Welcome to Texas!

rothko
rothko 
Veteran
rothko
In response to Kels

excellent! austin in the hizzouuuuse!!

TX_Dot
TX_Dot 
Guru
TX_Dot
In response to rothko

Conroe here!

ChandraLa
Diva
ChandraLa
In response to TX_Dot

Houston

rothko
rothko 
Veteran
rothko
In response to ChandraLa

speaking of houston, i've gotta make an IKEA run at some point. oh, and visit the rothko chapel (it's a holy pilgrimage, you see) and the deMenil collection and and and...

TXAngie
Guru
TXAngie
In response to rothko

Hello from Denton!

Resident
In response to TXAngie

San Antonio

ChandraLa
Diva
ChandraLa
In response to dat2197

I've wanted to check out the Rothko chapel. The one time I went to the Menil for an art history project, they were doing construction around the painting I came to see. I don't live far from it, so you would think that I would go there more often.

I love Ikea. Don't love the construction in the area. But Ikea is a blast. Especially since they recently made it BIGGER!

rothko
rothko 
Veteran
rothko
In response to ChandraLa

chandra, did you major in art history? if i could do it all over again, i would have done that (or german language/literature). once i got my head screwed on straight, i loaded up on as many art history classes as i could before graduating.

i became obsessed with rothko my freshman year in the required arts appreciation course we had; when i discovered the internet the next year, it was clear i'd need a nickname, and i just picked "rothko" completely in a hurry off the top of my head. it sounds pretty pretentious now (doh!) but i've been using it for so long it's kind of taken on a life of its own! i go by rothko offline too -- it just fits me so much better somehow than my given name.

RoxyAg04
Idol
RoxyAg04
In response to rothko

Though I'm no longer in Texas now, I lived in College Station until last May! Just thought I'd say hi!

ChandraLa
Diva
ChandraLa
In response to RoxyAg04

No, I didn't major in Art History. I would love to, though. I haven't finished school yet (I got married when I was a junior). I took a lot of "fun" courses when I was a freshman and a sophomore when I became disappointed in my major the first week I had theatre production class. I had a friend who was an artist (we worked in a bookstore together) and we would spend hours talking about who I was studying in class that week. I was going to major in English until I took a writer's workshop and found myself out-witted, out-melancholied, and out-storied. So, I'm drudging through the core classes that are required, and taking pre-business courses. I have this crazy idea of getting a degree in finance and accounting.

Rothko is actually one of the few artist's I can pinpoint on sight. There are a few others (Impressionists, mostly), but Rothko always had a distinctive style to me. I think your avatar suits the name very well.

rothko
rothko 
Veteran
rothko
In response to ChandraLa

heh, thanks; my avatar's pretty close to what i actually look like -- or at least, when i keep my hair cut! it's a little shaggy right now...

i did everything the wrong way around and took most of my major classes my first two years, then the first week of my junior year realized i hated it and it was the hugest mistake i ever made, etc... and i still had to finish my generals! so i thought about transferring or switching majors, but it would've taken me at least 5 years to finish my degree at that point, so i decided to just stick it out and finish in 4. thing is, either way i would have ended up in the same office cubicle afterward...

rothko
rothko 
Veteran
rothko
In response to rothko

Hey ladies -- I got an email from Picture It! up in Cedar Park (north of Austin) that says they're going out of business and having a huge sale. They're also selling their fixtures, racks, etc. They're closing on the 28th of this month. Thought I'd put the word out.

Taterdawg
Diva
Taterdawg
In response to rothko

Born in El Paso and raised in Paris and Jefferson Texas. Live in Louisiana now

Judyn
Judyn 
Guru
Judyn
  • Judyn on 04-04-05 05:38 AM
In response to Taterdawg

Spring Texas here...Right in the middle of Old Towne Spring! A shoppers paradise!

ChandraLa
Diva
ChandraLa
In response to Judyn

Rothko, what major did you end up with? I have a cubicle job, but it's in a house. I get a window to look out of.

This morning my coworker called me into the other room and told me to look out the window. She said there was this crazy woman standing in the middle of the street flinging her arms around. I looked outside, and finally saw her. I cracked up. We have a jogging trail running down the middle of Heights Blvd with trees and benches, and of course birds and squirrels. I told her the crazy woman was indeed crazy, but she was a secretary from across the street who was smoking a cigarette, and talking on the phone. She was flinging her ashes to the side, which caused the birds to flock down and investigate. I thought it was funny.

My avatar looks nothing like me. Well, except for maybe around the middle a bit. Do you always walk around with a coffee cup in your hand

rothko
rothko 
Veteran
rothko
In response to ChandraLa

Quote:

ChandraA said:
Rothko, what major did you end up with? I have a cubicle job, but it's in a house. I get a window to look out of.

uh, i have a degree in biblical and theological studies with a minor in new testament greek (different from classical greek) from a baptist college in minnesota. it's a very long story involving untreated bipolar disorder and religious mania. i'm not even a christian anymore, which is the real irony there.

i had a cube with a window, once very long ago. it looked out onto a little courtyard with lots of birds, though i never saw them attacking anyone (except through certain natural digestive processes, eww)! then our office moved to another location and i was left completely windowless. then i switched jobs and still had a cube -- but it had really high walls, which was nice from a privacy aspect!

Quote:

My avatar looks nothing like me. Well, except for maybe around the middle a bit. Do you always walk around with a coffee cup in your hand

well, i DO drink a ton of coffee...

ChandraLa
Diva
ChandraLa
In response to rothko

I'm taking French from a woman who's first language is Greek. She teaches modern greek at UH. She speaks Greek, French, English, German, Russian, and Spanish.

I would love to have walls for privacy. However, I've become quite adept at alt+tab. I just have to make sure I don't have too many "unworkly" windows open.

I grew up with bible classes, but that's as far as it went. I never had a religious home. I wish I knew more about the bible (and not just because my MIL knows EVERYTHING), but because I find the similarities between Christianity and other religions interesting. Especially with cultures dating to BC (or BCE if you want to be PC).

rothko
rothko 
Veteran
rothko
In response to ChandraLa

man, that's a lot of languages! i've studied german for a bazillion years -- other than that, i have a little spanish kicking around in my brain from back in high school, and i've taken a couple polish classes, but i'd never say i really "speak" either one! as far as modern greek goes, it's completely beyond me -- all i can do is sound out the words, but they mean nothing to me! same with russian, except that i don't know the alphabet quite as well...

i got to be pretty good at "alt-tab" too, except that i think most people i've worked for or with know that routine already, which is kind of a bummer...

there are so many similarities between a number of religions -- it seems that all people want to do is focus on the differences these days, but there's so much to learn from each other! i never did take a world religions class and i really wish i had now (you would *think* it would be required of bib/theo majors, but it wasn't -- i avoided it because the guy who taught it had a reputation for being heinously borrrrring).

rothko
rothko 
Veteran
rothko
In response to rothko

So is anyone going to San Antonio for the GASC? I have to say, I'm just not that excited about any of the workshops listed on the website. Does anyone else feel the same way, or am I just a freak?

Page 1 of 152 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics