I found these three green glass baubles at a garage sale and knew they'd come in handy some day...who would have thought they'd be the focal point of an ogre snot potion bottle. They, and the bottle (painted black) have been drizzled with Diamond Glaze (it dried shiny clear) and brown glue from my glue gun. The bottle has one section in the front that I covered before painting so the potion inside can be seen now.
All potion ingredients were mixed in a 4-cup measuring cup with corn syrup as the base. I use enough syrup to fill each potion bottle leaving a little head room at the top. Fine glitter, in the desired color, is then mixed in. I start with a few shakes of glitter, slowly adding more to achieve the desired intensity. Fine glitter stays more evenly suspended in corn syrup as opposed to larger pieces of glitter which tend to settle to the bottom of the bottle, or they can sometimes float to the top. Head room in the bottle can help sluggish glitter to be moved when it's rocked back and forth.
I use a narrow-neck funnel to pour the “potion” into the bottle, and I clean any spills or drips off of the bottle top with a damp cloth.
E600 is my adhesive of choice when securing the cork or lid into the opening of each bottle top which protects the contents. Inking the cork, before gluing into place, helps me achieve the aged-look I desire.
I found most of the labels and tags for the bottles by doing a Google search for “Harry Potter potion labels.” A few were found on eBay, Etsy.com, Scrapbook.com, or they were cut from a sheet of paper (see below). I distressed them with Walnut Stain ink, and many were crumpled and ink added to the wrinkled ridges to give them additional aging. Clear contact paper was added over most labels to preserve them (leaving 1/8” around all edges to help with the seal).
A chess piece, painted black and glued to the wine cork completes the display.