* 1 package Duncan Hines Moist Deluxe Butter Recipe Golden Cake Mix
* 1 container Duncan Hines Creamy Home-Style Cream Cheese Frosting
* 3/4 cup purchased lemon curd
* Lemon Drop candies, crushed, for garnish (optional)
Tip - You may substitute Duncan Hines Vanilla or Vanilla Buttercream frosting for the Cream Cheese frosting, if desired.
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Grease and flour two 8- or 9-inch round cake pans.
2. Prepare, bake and cool cake following package directions for basic recipe.
3. To assemble, place one cake layer on serving plate. Place 1/4 cup Cream Cheese frosting in small resealable plastic bag. Snip off one corner. Pipe a bead of frosting on top of layer around outer edge. Fill remaining area with lemon curd. Top with second cake layer. Spread remaining frosting on sides and top of cake. Garnish top of cake with crushed lemon candies, if desired.
Makes - 12 to 16 servings
Note: Lemon curd is a creamy mixture made of lemon juice, butter, sugar, and egg yolks cooked together until it thickens. The mixture thickens even more as it cools; it is then used as a filling or topping for cakes, breads and other baked goods. Lemon curd is usually sold in jars and is found in gourmet shops and some supermarkets.