Fort Charles, which was originally named Fort Cromwell,
is the first of the six forts to be built for the protection
of Port Royal, Jamaica. The building of the structure was
begun in 1655, not long after the British assumed control
of the island. Towards the end of the 17th century it had
500 men and 104 big guns, and was well stocked and
prepared to defend. In later years the fort served as a prison.