This is for the April Ugly Papers challenge. I even used the scissors embellie that was sent along with the papers.
Let me tell ya...the papers were so bad that the only thing I could think of was to cut them up and make a quilt pattern to try and defuse to badness!!
I made the background by mimicking the actual quilt pattern that the story reflects.
I punched 1" square pieces from the uglies, white cs, and scraps I had laying around.
The stitched pattern is the one I've started on the quilt in the photo. I thought it would be fun to use the same stitching.
I also used the uglies on the scalloped border at the flap opening to the hidden journaling as well as to make the 6 flowers w/ button centers.
To make the flowers: I cut 12"x1/2" strips, ran terrifically tacky tape on the back and folded it onto itself. Then I rolled it tightly and let it uncurl slightly and secured them with TTT. I used my thumb to push down the sharp looking edges so that a little bit of the paper detail would show.
As for the journaling: It basically tells in detail how I started this quilt when my ds was graduating the 5th grade and I failed to complete it by then. I then wanted it for his 8th grade graduation and failed, again. I shot for his high school graduation...failed! And how my goal now is to have it finished before I have great-grandchildren...