This is the lo I did for the Boys Challenge and the October Gallery Challenge. The lo I was given to use as inspiration was Rae_M's "Follow Your Heart" lo, which can be found here http://www.scrapbook.com/galleries/234311/view/3319895/-1.html
I loved how she did the woven strip corners on her page. I wanted to take her beautiful, florally lo and see if I could use it for a different style. I decided the woven strips could represent roads, so I cut narrow strips of gray cs, then cut slightly wider strips of white cs. I adhered the gray strips on top of the white strips, then used a stitching ruler to help pierce evenly spaced holes down the center of the gray strip. I used a single strand of yellow sewing thread and did, basically, a running stitch down the length of each of my strips.
I loved the way her background paper looked and the distressing she did, so I selected my map pp that was light in color like her background and I distressed the edges. I decided to mat my background pp onto black cs..just because that's the way I am. LOL I liked her brown distressing on her page, but decided to go for a similar feel with a different technique, so I used brown/white bakers twin and used it to border the page, adhering it to the page with copper mini brads at each corner. I realized the state of MO on the map would be hidden by my pics, so I carefully cut it out to use on the page. I adhered my 'roads' and wove them at the corners..a little tricky and my layered strips didn't weave quite as smoothly as hers looked, but it worked for me.
I liked the way she had matted her pic with the white and brown mats, so I used white and brown for my main pic and just brown for the second pic. I distressed the edges of the brown mat on the main pic..just because. I adhered those pics to the page. I took my third pic and used my tag making tool (that I've had FOREVER and have very seldom used) and used it's template to crop the pic into a circle, the used the tool to ad the metal rim to the pic. At the time, I was thinking I would use that pic as a keychain, but then I couldn't find the key stickers that I thought I had and the only other types of keys I had were the antique door key type. I added the title by using some very old clear alpha stickers and some black alpha stickers. I adhered the clear stickers to the background, then used a Distress pen to outline them and then used the brush end to add a little more interest. I added the black letters, using some capital ltrs and some small ltrs.
I found my sheets of road sign stickers and thought they would work as a replacement for the florals on the original page. I was just going to layer the signs on the page, but when I placed the 'stop' sign, the road behind it looked like a pole, and I liked that look, so I cut more thin strips of the gray cs to use as poles for the signs. I drew my journaling lines onto the page, then started placing the the signs. I used foam adhesive on some of the signs and poles to give a little dimension. I decided to add my 3rd pic to look like another sign and added mini brads to it. I decided to tuck my MO map next to the journaling and slightly behind a sign. I added the journaling. Since there are reflections of budding branches in the windshield, I decided to pay homage to the original lo and add a few flowers to the page. I found some tiny key charms and sewed them to the page just for fun.