Scrapbooking Savings Week!
Free Gift + Take an Extra 9% OFF with code: CRAFT

Lacking Creativity in Scrapbooking, but have the Desire and Interest to Create

• TeckelMom
    Scrapbooking (is it still called that?) has been an area of interest for me for a long time. Over the years (just turned 60) I have amassed a large collection of supplies. BUT, they sit in storage bins and drawer units unopened and unused, much like my creativity. I'm starting a new chapter in my life, and would like to embark on a journey of Scrapbooking (and soap-making, but that's another talk show). It's much like my desire to learn to paint. I know what I want the finished product to be, but getting there is the challenge.

The interest is strong, the creative spark, not so much. I'm open to ideas on how to feed my creativity with other's experiences, tips, and knowhow that you care to share. I will be relocating to the San Antonio, TX area in the next few months and would love to find workshops that I can attend with like-minded individuals who enjoy scrapbooking. But, because of my level of creativity, I need to start with a beginner type of environment. Is there such a thing?

I have looked at videos on YouTube, but most seem to be geared towards a specific product being used and for those who are more advanced in the 'art'.

I believe I would eventually like to get involved with one of the scrapbooking companies that offer home-based business opportunities. But obviously I can't do this without the largest missing ingredient (in my mind)....creativity.

Thanking you in advance for your feedback, suggestions, etc. slightly_smiling_face emoji
  • ArtsyLC
    To get back into it, I'd look in the gallery and start by scraplifting (kind of copying) things you like. Maybe that would be the spark you need to get going. It might not be all your own ideas, but at least you'd be creating.
  • Lisn2cats
    Sometimes it helps to just touch all your pretty things. Take out a few sheets of gorgeous papers, pair of scissors, a couple of stickers or embellishments, etc. - the goal is not to take everything out but just enough to get something started, not overwhelm you (which looking a full bin will do!) I like to then just admire my little pile and flip things around to see what they look like together. Then, find a picture you want to use (or don't - I have a bunch of layouts done that are just waiting for the right photo) and tweak your pile. Then, like ArtsyLC said, you could look in the gallery (or find a few magazine layouts you like and use those as a launch point) or Pinterest (or do a Google search - ex., scrapbook layout green brown chipmunks - and see what pops up). I think you'll find that once you start cutting here and there, you'll start branching out to your own style. I've noticed that, over time, some scrappers have started with very simple layouts (2 rectangles, a tag, and a sticker) and their pages have evolved into some really creative pieces of art with inks, fibers, etc. Come play with us in the Forums (I'm still a relative newbie there but, oh my gosh, I get so many ideas looking at what others have done and the community there is so so supportive and kind!) Another group to look at is the Scrapbook Layout Facebook group (I think that's what it's called) - lots and lots of shares at all levels are posted there.
  • Ppilgrim
    You've got everything you need, except a bit of confidence. Stop judging yourself and just do it! I've never been creative when it comes to the visual arts but I love to paper-craft despite that draw-back. Haul out some of those old supplies and just mess around with them until you feel more comfortable with your abilities.

AND, If you're looking for a supportive community of like-minded crafters, you've come to the right place. Welcome. hug emoji
  • Rabbits3
    It can be overwhelming when you don't know where to start. But there are so many videos out there … some easy and some harder to do layouts. Use simple scrapbooking products like paper, stickers and embellishments. Adding a few diecut ephemera pieces to your layout will make a piece of art, easily and quickly! Just have fun! In no time you will be using inks, sprays and paints in your projects.
  • Dawna.s Place
    A lot of good advice has been given here. I like what Lis has suggested with one exception, start your search for paper and goodies with your desired photo in hand! Having your photo at the ready to guide you (color choices, embellishment choices, etc.) can be very useful and inspiring. Don't worry about your skill level, that will come over time and experience. There is no shortcut so don't fret about it. We all started at the beginning, so no worries there, we've all been right where you are starting. I remember being so excited when I invested in a package of 6 scissors that had different edges on them. Gosh, I cut every paper in sight for months till I knew exactly what those tools would do and how I best like to use them! Give yourself the freedom to do the same.

Layouts that are done up can be intimidating, so another suggestion I would make is to start by looking at "scrapbook sketches." Bev Code on here posts new ones every week and the "Sketch Challenge" under the site Menu (go to Challenges) has sketches for 1, 2, 3, 4, or 5 photos every month. Plus, if you join, you'll get to know your neighbors. Others post sketches too. You can find them easily under the Gallery Menu (just under Scrapbooks name in the left upper corner) and select Featured. Scroll down near the bottom and there will be a section dedicated to sketches. You might find them more helpful than actual layouts. You can always change up squares for circles, straight lines for jagged lines, big titles for handwritten tiles, etc. Whatever you'd like to do. Don't look for perfection, just pick something pleasing and go for it.

Be patient with yourself and above all else, have fun learning! Welcome aboard, it's a marvelous community to belong to!
  • Terestrife
    I used to feel this way. I learned that at first your work won't look like everyone else's. There will be faults that you'll look back on and want to fix. But the more you use practice the better you get.

Look at online examples and then try to make something not exact, but similar. Set aside time and you'll eventually feel inspired and motivated.
  • Scrapjanny
    I think sometimes we expect too much from ourselves. Setting expectations that are too high (e.g. layouts that we see on social media, in magazines - the few that remain - and that others create) can stifle our own creativity and imagination. Try not to aim for a "professional" look in what you create. Inspiration from these sources is good, but feelings of inferiority or frustration aren't. I don't see imperfections as faults, but rather as opportunities for growth and improvement. Your layouts shouldn't look like everyone else's. You have to do you. Try to be happy with what you're creating now, and embrace growth as it happens. Don't rush it. Happy scrapping!