AUGUST PL

• Jess E
    Welcome to the August Pocket Letter Swap. My name is Jess, and will be your hostess.

Please read the rules and guidelines for this swap CAREFULLY before joining.

1. Participants need 20 or more posts (check under your avatar, photo).

2. Participants need 3 or more projects in their gallery,

3. If you are brand new to this swap or pocket letters, please send me a DM before signing up,

4. Participants please check in and share something in the thread once a week or more. Please do not sign up then disappear. We enjoy getting to know you and it makes the swap fun.

5. If you are joining Please post I'm in, USA or international.

6. Partners will be assigned August 1st.

7. Participants please mail by August 20, 2020. Use a padded envelope. Postage is $3.50 and up.

This month's themes are:

(repeating) SUMMER- camping, boating, ocean, beach, ladybugs, picnics... you name it for a summer theme
    Sunflowers/Bees
    Summer dressed Julia Nutting Doll-

ROUND ROBIN PAIRING: MARCI will make for JESS, who will make for SUZANNE, who will make for GERRY, who will make for KRISTINE, who will make for MARCI.
  • Krizzy05
    I'm in Jess! How fun to think of the Julie Nutting dolls as a theme!
  • Jess E
    Thanks to Peggy's PL!
  • MarciLB
    I am in ...I will send to Peggy if she signs up!
  • Geraldine Ross
    Wow I am in Jess, sounds like fun themes to pick from.
  • Eapipkin
    Cute themes, Jess. I will think about joining...
  • Jess E
    sorry, I haven't been around! We did a bunch of running around over Friday and Sat, and then our Dell keyboard was acting up last week, so I bought a Logitec, that one wouldn't work at all, and then I bought another more expensive logitec keyboard, and that one isn't working either, although the mouses are. I've searched high and low, did the keyboard trouble shooting, did the windows updates it needed, and nothing. So, I guess it means a trip into best Buy.
  • Eapipkin
    Sorry about your keyboard trouble, Jess. That's so weird!

I'm blanching beans right now. BBL
  • Jess E
    I'm thinking people are losing interest in these... plus it's summer. I got my new Instant Pot brand convection oven/air fryer yesterday, and it's super nice...rather intimidating though. Thank goodness for a FB group by the company, where you can ask all kinds of questions. Still haven't been in the mood for crafting. Our summer here has been really wonderful, even with our hot days. We're in a bit of a cool down, which was needed, and we got an inch and a half of rain yesterday, thankfully.

What's everyone up to?
  • Krizzy05
    I wish there were more swaps like there used to be, but sadly others seem to have left the site or are not interested. Good luck learning your new appliance Jess! It's crazy how our technology today both complicates and simplifies our lives! My dad is coming after work today to start my new garage door installation. Instead of two single doors, he'll be putting up one double door and redoing the front woodworking. Should make for a whole weekend project so no crafting for me!
  • Eapipkin
    I hope you like your InstaPot, Jess! Let me know how it goes. I do have an air fryer that I use occasionally. It's pretty fast compared to using an oven.

While I love making pocket letters, I just need to take a break from them. I really have very little room left to have another binder out, which makes 3 altogether. I am so busy with helping Kenneth in the garden and prepping and putting up vegies, amongst all my regular chores. It has been in the low 100s four days in a row here and just too hot to cook.

Sounds like you have a good project going there Kristine. I think you will probably like having just one garage door instead of two!

I think this Covid thing has really put the dampers on people being interested in swaps, and just all around chatting, plus people are usually much busier in the summer months anyway.

I have to snap green and yellow beans this morning after doing the bookkeeping/banking. I will blanch them tomorrow to vacuum seal. I like to start that process first thing in the morning when it is still halfway cool! We are getting some okra now, enough so far for a good sized mess. Love fried okra!

Have a great weekend, my friends! xo
  • Jess E
    I know summer is rough. Kristine, hope you and your dad get your project done w/o any complications. It sounds like your house will be really updated and revamped, with you being there.

Elizabeth, my package of bush beans, was supposed to be bush, but were actually climbing. What a mess I have in that section of the garden and they still don't have any beans on them. It was a packaging mistake. I have lots of tomatoes coming, thankfully. Oh, about the instant pot.... I have 2 of that brand pressure cookers, and this is from their appliance line, so it air frys, toasts, bkes, broils, roasts, slow cooks, proofs bread, and dehydrates- for which there are hardly any online posts about...dehydrating in the air fryer.

Steve just washed the front of our house, under the porch. It really needed it with spider webs and insects caught in them, and it looks so much better now!
    Hope everyone has a good weekend.
  • MarciLB
    Hi everyone....I have an air fryer/toaster oven combo unit by Emeril so I really like it since I can use it for many things.

I LOVE pocketletters, ATCS, tags, Dex cards and have been swapping with individuals that I just message on Facebook or Instagram and I did sign up for some groups on facebook and then you just sign up if you have time.

Honestly, ever since scrapbook.com "hid" the forums and now even more since they changed them completely with ever reducing participation-I became one of those people who "left". In addition, I think you all know that I have been traveling from NJ to Florida (about 23 times in 2 1/2 yrs) to help care for my mother-with COVID-I havent traveled since March 9 and fortunately we have 2 excellent live in caregivers. My husband just had a reverse shoulder replacement; crafting is super relaxing for me though!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • MarciLB
    Oh--if you want to cancel it-no worries from me!...But I am still in if you dont!!!
  • Geraldine Ross
    Same with me Jess if you decide to hold off for a month or two I will understand but if you want to keep going I am in!
    Enjoy your new pot it sounds amazing.
  • Eapipkin
    Your instant pot sure does a lot of stuff!!! As for the dehydration, I imagine just putting stuff in there at about 220-250 degrees would be about right. We have a dehydrator and that's the average temps we use.

Your front porch looks beautiful! I saw the pictures Steve posted!! So warm and welcoming! Wish I could sit in one of your chairs and enjoy the peaceful scenery!! <3
  • Eapipkin
    Marci, I don't like what they did with the new platform or forums either. Also, their getting rid of public comments. That was a real disappointment. I recently sent them a message about the stupid iCaptcha. Dawna did tell me about a way to bypass that and it does work, so I'm happier now! Lol
  • Sroseberry
    Meeee!!!!
  • Jess E
    Oh my, the days have slipped by! I start orientation for the new job tomorrow. First two days of orientation are on zoom, Wed and Thurs I have to drive an hour away for the computer training, and then Friday, is in the clinic I'll be working at.

This month, we'll do a round robin, instead of pairing up for partners: MARCI will make for JESS, who will make for SUZANNE, who will make for GERRY, who will make for KRISTINE, who will make for MARCI.
  • Krizzy05
    Sounds like a fun way to swap this month! Good luck with your orientation Jess!
  • Geraldine Ross
    I will make for Kristine but I will need her address. Good luck with orientation Jess.
  • Eapipkin
    I hope your orientation is going well today, Jess.
  • MarciLB
    Hi Everyone!
    Good Luck at your new job Jess! and I am creating a PL for YOU! Will send you a DM....
  • Eapipkin
    Anxious to see the beauties you gals create!
  • Krizzy05
    Hi everyone! Just checking in. I haven't started my pocket letter for Marci yet but I have a few ideas stirring in my head! I've got a few other projects I'm hoping to finish first, but would like to get started this weekend.
  • Eapipkin
    Just stopped by to let you gals know I put out a feeler for a tag swap for next month in the swaps category. It depends on what kind of response I get whether or not I host one.
  • Geraldine Ross
    I am starting my P/L for Kristine this afternoon. Excited to get started!!!
    Elizabeth if you have a tag swap I would be interested in joining in sounds like a great challenge.
  • Dawna.s Place
    Hi Jess, Just popping in to say hi to everyone! It's been ages since I've chatted with you gals, missing everyone! Congrats on the new job, hope it goes well for you! Things in our neck of the woods have been fine, we're staying home, safe and sound. Look forward to seeing all the wonderful creations! Enjoy the day!
  • Eapipkin
    Sounds great, Geraldine! I will probably open it for signups in the "Swaps" category on the 20th to give plenty of time. With you joining, that would make six! :-)
  • Sroseberry
    Yay!!! Gerry! I'm going to start tonight!
  • Jess E
    Thanks for the well wishes! Orientation was a long, process with a ton of info presented... typical hospital orientation. Tomorrow will be my first day in our eye clinic tomorrow. My hours are 8:30 till 5, so I don't have to get up till 7 am! I used to have to get up at 5:15, leave at 6:15, and then drive for 75 minutes.... so thankful for not doing that now.

I have not started yet either, but hopefully maybe tonight!
  • MarciLB
    Excited Kristine! I haven't started yet for Jess but I will in a couple of days...Hope you all had a nice weekend!
  • Geraldine Ross
    Hi Suzanne looking so forward to receiving one of your beautiful Pocket Letters.
    Elizabeth, I am looking forward to your tag swap!!!
    Jess, cutie so glad your orientation is over now comes the fun part getting your feet wet.
    I created a birthday card for my Son-In-law his birthday is on August 13, 2002. I put it on my gallery. Wish we could go visit
    our family but our Daughter, Son-in-law, and three amazing Grandkids live in St. Cloud, MN. Which is
    About 75 miles away from the Twin Cities where they do not have any police on the street just rioting and looting.
    The Mayor told the citizens if someone comes up to you and asks for your phone, or money, or credit card just
    give it to them so they do not do harm to you if possible. If they want in your house let them in before they burn it down.
    This is out of control and Jean and I will not drive the 7 hours to get there form our house because we have to go through the Twin Cities to get to St. Cloud. Life is not fair!
  • Jess E
    That is so awful Gerry. I'm sorry you even have to worry about that!

• Eapipkin
    That is terrible, Gerry! I'm so sorry! If anyone came to my house to do anything destructive they would be facing our guns!!!
  • Geraldine Ross
    I would love to visit my family but it makes me so angry that the Governor and the Mayor in MN is so far left and can not stand up for the Good people who live in his state.
    Believe me if any one comes to our house that wants to do harm will meet sudden death from our fire arms. We do not put up with anyone trying to take over all we worked for and my husband is an amazing shot since he was a hunter since he was sixteen years old. He never misses!