Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: CLOSED/CREATING Altered Ceramic Tiles        (Topic#1579709)
Melissa Birlem
Idol
Melissa Birlem

Hi! Thanks for checking out my swap! This is my first attempt at hosting, so please bear with me. If you notice anything that I forgot or you think of something to add, please let me know!

I had a box of 4" white ceramic tiles layout around after a bathroom remodel, so I decided to see what I could do with them! The first thing that came to mind was to incorporate altered tiles into my new craft space. How fun would it be to have inpsirational pieces from several people scattered about? So, that's where this swap developed from!

TILES: You can use any color or style of tile you find. The only condition is that it must measure 4" x 4" square and it must be ceramic. You can easily find these tiles at most hardware stores. Home Depot sells 4" square ceramic tiles individually - $0.13 for white, $0.48 - $0.58 for colors. Of course, you might also have some laying around from a DIY project!

BASICS: We will be altering these tiles as decor pieces. That means they should be 3-dimensional. Please use good quality embellishments and give your best work. Each tile should feature at least 5 techniques / embellishments. Of course, this is just the minimum. Let your imagination run wild!

QUANTITY: This will be a matched swap. You will get back the same amount that you send in. You must send in at least one tile for each category you sign up for. You may send in more, but please limit it to three tiles for any given category.

PACKAGING: You are responsible for making sure your package arrives safely. Keep in mind that ceramic tiles can break. Please put each tile in a separate bag labeled with your name, SB.com name, and category. Use packing peanuts, paper, bubble wrap, or other packing material around the tiles and in between them. I will try to reuse the packaging you send your tile(s) in. If the packaging is thin, please include a bubble envelope. Make sure to include a return address label.

DUE DATE: In light of the beginning of the school year, I am going to keep this swap open for a while. Sign-ups will close on September 1st, 2012. All tiles must be in my hands by October 1st, 2012. I will have all tiles swapped out within a week and on their way back to you.

POSTAGE: You can either send postage with your tiles (include the amount it cost you to send it plus 3 additional stamps - any extras will be returned), or you can PayPal me the exact shipping cost at the end of the swap. PM me for the mailing address and paypal address if you don't already have them.

Examples:
Altered Tile - Flight of the Butterfly By Melissa Birlem

Altered Tile - RIP By Melissa Birlem

NO FLAKERS please! I am asking everyone to check in at least once a week to let me know you're still with us. If you need to drop out, just let me know.

I will put a smiley next to your name once your package arrives.

Categories:

ATC Style (show us what you've got!)
1. Melissa (hostess)
2. Bonnie (i_heart_scrapping)
3. Anna (Provinca)
4. Tocarra (crafty_lefty)
5. Sassie
6. Rhonda (YourScrapAttack)

Halloween - Creepy and Gory
1. Melissa (hostess)
2. Scrappy_Day
3. Bonnie (i_heart_scrapping)
4. Sassie
5. Michelle (Molson)

Halloween - Fun and Cute
1. Melissa (hostess)
2. Michelle (Molson)
3. Anna (Provinca)
4. Tocarra(crafty_lefty)

Autumn / Fall
1. Melissa (hostess)
2. Ms. Pebbles
3. Scrappy_Day
4. Anna (Provinca)

Creators:
1. Melissa (hostess)
2. Ms. Pebbles
3. Scrappy_Day
4. Bonnie (i_heart_scrapping)
5. Sassie
6. Michelle (Molson)
7. Anna (Provinca)
8. Toccara (crafty_lefty)
9. Rhonda (YourScrapAttack)

Edited by Melissa Birlem on 10-09-12 09:13 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Ms_Pebbles
Diva
Ms_Pebbles
In response to Melissa Birlem

Hey Melissa!
Put me down for Fall for now!

Melissa Birlem
Idol
Melissa Birlem
In response to Ms_Pebbles

Hi, Ms. Pebbles! Thanks for joining!

scrappy_day
Idol
scrappy_day

This sounds fun! I made coasters for Christmas with these tiles so I have some left!
I would like to sign up for the Halloween creepy one and the fall one! Thanks!

Melissa Birlem
Idol
Melissa Birlem
In response to scrappy_day

Awesome! Welcome Scrappy! Adding you now.

Melissa Birlem
Idol
Melissa Birlem

Scrappy, what did you use to coat the top in order to use it as a coaster? Did you use all flat embellishments? I think that's my problem!!! I have a hard time using only flat embellies!

scrappy_day
Idol
scrappy_day

I just put Christmas scrapbook paper on them with flat embellishments and then coated everything with mod podge. When that was dry, I sprayed them with clear spray paint and then put cork on the bottom. They turned out really cute. Everyone loved them. And they made cheap little gifts.

Melissa Birlem
Idol
Melissa Birlem

That sounds cute!

i heart scrapping
Diva
i heart scrapping

What's that I hear calling me? HALLOWEEN-CREEPY and GORY & ATC STYLE! Oh yeah!!!

Melissa Birlem
Idol
Melissa Birlem
In response to i heart scrapping

Hi Bonnie! Thanks for joining! You knew I'd have to make something creepy!

Ms_Pebbles
Diva
Ms_Pebbles

• scrappy_day Said:
I just put Christmas scrapbook paper on them with flat embellishments and then coated everything with mod podge. When that was dry, I sprayed them with clear spray paint and then put cork on the bottom. They turned out really cute. Everyone loved them. And they made cheap little gifts.

That does sound cute!

scrappy_day
Idol
scrappy_day

Melissa, we are neighbors!
I see you live in Milwaukee, WI. I live in Racine, WI - which is about 30 miles away. I guess when I am done with my tiles, it won't take that long to get to you!

Melissa Birlem
Idol
Melissa Birlem

Scrappy, that's awesome! I actually go to Racine a few times a month. It definitely shouldn't take long to get to me! Do you go to the scrapbook store in Oak Creek?

scrappy_day
Idol
scrappy_day

I do!! In fact I was just there on Friday! ha ha I also work in Brookfield so it is kind of on my way home. Well I guess I MAKE it more on my way home!
Is it ok if we do more than one tile for each category?

Melissa Birlem
Idol
Melissa Birlem

LOL! I taught a class at My Paper Playground in July! Perhaps we could meet there for a crop one of these weeks!?!?

Of course, you can make more than one tile, but I ask that you limit it to 3 per category. Shipping these tiles can be tricky and the more tiles in a package, the greater chance there is for breakage.

scrappy_day
Idol
scrappy_day

I thought you meant the store on Hwy 100 - The SCrapbook Store! I just googled My Paper Playground! OMG!! I think I might have to stop there soon!
There used to be another scrapbook store that was in Oak Creek years ago. I didn't know another one opened! Cool!

scrappy_day
Idol
scrappy_day

And I would love to meet there for a crop!

Sassie
Sassie 
Idol
Sassie

ill take 1 in halloween gore - I cant pass up anything creepy ..

scrappy i wanna come with ya & crop to. You bring your googies i'll bring mine - - wed make a store of our very own LOL

Melissa Birlem
Idol
Melissa Birlem

I haven't been to The Scrapbook Store in years! I like My Paper Playground though. It's a small shop - she just opened it earlier this year - but she's friendly and reasonably priced! They have some great classes too.

Melissa Birlem
Idol
Melissa Birlem

Sassie, you must have been typing the same time as me earlier! Sorry I missed it. I'm adding you now! Thanks for joining us.

molson
molson 
Veteran
molson

Please add me to both Halloweens
it's my FAVORITE

Melissa Birlem
Idol
Melissa Birlem
In response to molson

Awesome! Thanks for joining. I'm adding you now!

Melissa Birlem
Idol
Melissa Birlem

Do any of you know any other artists that would be interested in joining us?

provinca
Governor
provinca

I'm stalking this thread and thinking about joining you. I've never done a ceramic tile before, so I'm a bit hesitant. I've been checking them out online, and it looks like it would be pretty awesome.

Melissa Birlem
Idol
Melissa Birlem
In response to provinca

Anna, come and join us! This is the first time I did tiles myself, but I LOVED how they turned out! Honestly, it can go so many different ways. I'm going to have to try Scrappy's idea of using them for coasters. Although that would mean I couldn't use any 3D embellishments which may be a problem.

provinca
Governor
provinca

Oh why not! Sign me up for Halloween - cute and fall. What's ATC style? I may take a spot there too!

Edited by provinca on 08-16-12 01:13 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Sassie
Sassie 
Idol
Sassie
In response to provinca

i have to agree, what is ATC style? I love ATC

Melissa Birlem
Idol
Melissa Birlem
In response to Sassie

ATC basically means anything goes... painting, collage, mixed media, drawings, zentangles, etc. Like it says, "Show us what you've got." All I ask is that it have some dimension to it. For example, if you do a painting, that's awesome, but add some texture.

Anna, thanks for hopping on board! I'll hold off on adding you or Sassie to ATC until you two let me know for sure.

YourScrapAttack
Diva
YourScrapAttack

melissa- what does atc style mean?

im liking this swap but i am NOT a halloween chick. it creeps me out . the hands and bodies and skulls. ekkk. *shivers*

i heart scrapping
Diva
i heart scrapping
In response to YourScrapAttack

provinca
Governor
provinca

Okay, sign me up for ATC as well!

Melissa Birlem
Idol
Melissa Birlem
In response to provinca

Rhonda, I posted right above your post about what I thought for ATC Style. It's pretty open - whatever medium you want, any style you want, just be creative. All I ask is that it has some dimension.

Hi Bonnie!

Thanks Anna, adding you now!

provinca
Governor
provinca

I better go buy some tiles so I can begin to experiment!

Melissa Birlem
Idol
Melissa Birlem
In response to provinca

That's my favorite part!!! I can't wait to see what you come up with!

Melissa Birlem
Idol
Melissa Birlem

btt

Ms_Pebbles
Diva
Ms_Pebbles

Sassie
Sassie 
Idol
Sassie

Anna! See your causing my ATC addiction has went far beyond the paper now! I just bought some wooden ATC isnt that the coolest??? I cant wait till they get here ...

I need to get some tile also to play but that will be a bit

Sassie
Sassie 
Idol
Sassie

oh, yes please 1 ATC my other weekness!

Melissa Birlem
Idol
Melissa Birlem
In response to Sassie

Adding you now, Sassie!! That wooden ATC sounds fun! Where did you find them?

Has anyone started playing with tiles yet? I have a few orders to fill, then it's back to the mortar board...

provinca
Governor
provinca

I'm hoping to pick up my tiles this week tomorrow (I have the summers off), but I have to go back to work. Danged work -- gets in the way of all my fun!!!

Edited by provinca on 08-19-12 03:51 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Sassie
Sassie 
Idol
Sassie
In response to provinca

Melissa I found them on the creative imagination (im probably spelling it wrong) site -- its the company that make id say at least 75% of the ATC things - its thin birch wood Then I have my "chapsticks" aka Geloto's which work awesome on wood *Soo excited*

Melissa Birlem
Idol
Melissa Birlem
In response to Sassie

Anna, work just gets in the way sometimes!!! Unfortunately, it's a necessary evil.

Sassie, thanks!!!! I'll be checking them out right now! I've been using youratcstore.com and collagestuff.com for my supplies.

provinca
Governor
provinca

Love, love, love youratcstore.com!! I'll have to check out collagestuff.com -- although, I had an awakening yesterday. You see, I spent the entire day sorting and organizing (not done yet!) and realized that I have wayyyyyyy too much stuff. I've put myself on a shopping freeze until I go to CKC next spring. I'm only going to buy swap/project specific things and organizational things so I can get a better grip on what I have! I hope I can do it! Hmmmmm, I do need some more holders for my ATC carousel; do those count as "necessities" or "organzational things"???

Melissa Birlem
Idol
Melissa Birlem
In response to provinca

LOL... Anna, I'm in the same boat! Starting in September, I'm not buying anything until March 2013!!! Hopefully I will use up some of this STASH!

ATC holders = NECESSITY!!! AND ORGANIZING TOOL!!!
I'd say you're free to buy SOME of those!

Part of my problem is that I teach classes, so I have everything in bulk. Makes it hard to keep things organized and under control!

i heart scrapping
Diva
i heart scrapping

Melissa, do you teach classes from your home? I applied at our local community college which offers those non-credit courses like sewing and cooking and quilting. I had to submit a course outline and everything but they didn't go for it. I would LOVE teaching classes. I just don't think we'd have the interest in my area though.

Melissa Birlem
Idol
Melissa Birlem

Hi Bonnie,

I do teach classes at my home. I also teach classes at other peoples' houses, schools, churches, rec centers, senior centers, and a local scrapbook store occasionally. I lead a club that meets every other week to craft together as well. Each meeting I teach them a new technique or two. It's a blast. I'm sure you would be an amazing teacher!!! Sorry the community college didn't go for your class. The colleges aren't the best venue for creative classes though. I did a class at a community college in Las Vegas and it was the WORST experience ever! The people signing up for the class did not expect to do any work and my classes are completely hands-on. Needless to say, I didn't do that again!

Try to start a craft group or talk to a LSS to see if you could be a guest instructor there.

crafty lefty
Guru
crafty lefty

You can add me to the group. ABout to re do my bathroom tiles and my hubby has some ready to go. Iwill see if I can get one or two from him.

Melissa Birlem
Idol
Melissa Birlem
In response to crafty lefty

Hi Toccara! Welcome to the group! Which category would you like to join? Bathroom remodels are so much fun! Are you just switching tiles or remodeling completely?

Edited by Melissa Birlem on 08-19-12 05:32 PM. Reason for edit: Stupid iPad auto correct

Melissa Birlem
Idol
Melissa Birlem

btt

Sassie
Sassie 
Idol
Sassie

Ya know - it might be a fun idea to do like a stash swap?? Just so we dont have dups of 10 things, and maybe that would re-fresh some of our mojo?

Im with Anna & You Melissa although Ive not set a un-freeze date yet - I have 1 more group of things to buy (I Know ive said it before) and nothing more until I get all things organized! My problem is when I do get it all organized I pull this n that n this to work on a project -- then it becomes "scrapped" so I dont want that back in new stuff ... and then the bits & piece's accumulate and over again theres my mess!!! HOW do you stop that? Or am I just a messy artist in general?

Ive got to stop - we all have to. Its NO fun not shopping, but I know for me -- I open an organizer drawer or a box laying around and then im like OOOO THATS WHERE THIS IS "Toss it to the left to put it up" then I find more that goes to the right ... oh no wait this has to go up there. Then im overwhelmed again .... its a visious circle of addiction I need to break :/ This is worse then smoking but not as bad for your lungs!

Sassie
Sassie 
Idol
Sassie
In response to Sassie

HuM!! I wonder, if that store youratcstore.com is open or just an online store? There business addy is only 1 hour n 30 minutes from me! :S

Melissa Birlem
Idol
Melissa Birlem
In response to Sassie

Sassie, that sounds about right. I like shopping for new stuff, as we all do. But my studio / stash has already consumed over half of my 1100 square foot basement! My excuse is the bulk supplies... but it's just an excuse and I know it. LOL. Although the bulk supplies do take up a LOT of space!

I have the same dilemma - get everything organized, then start pulling stuff for a project and it doesn't get put back right away (or at all). I mix my new stuff in with my old stuff. That way, when I go to pull out something new, I'm reminded of the old stuff I still have. Some of my stuff is leftovers from a class that didn't fill up. There are only so many times you want to do the same project! So it sits. Ashley's fearless swap has helped me get a few things out of my stash so far. I made it a point to use some of my older supplies / embellies.

One of my serious issue areas: SCRAPS! There's just so many. LOL. After cutting materials for a class, I end up with all the little bits and pieces. I've been trying to use these up to make ATCs and cards, but it's taking a LONG time!

provinca
Governor
provinca

• Melissa Birlem Said:

One of my serious issue areas: SCRAPS! There's just so many. LOL. After cutting materials for a class, I end up with all the little bits and pieces. I've been trying to use these up to make ATCs and cards, but it's taking a LONG time!

I don't think there's ever an end to the little scraps no matter how much you use them. There's always more to take their place. A few weeks ago, I spent an entire afternoon going through small scraps and making a boat load of flowers with them. Now there's more in the box and I've just given up!!!

Melissa Birlem
Idol
Melissa Birlem
In response to provinca

I am NOT good at making paper flowers!!! I really should sit down and practice, but I don't use them enough.

I had my scraps organized in ziplock bags by color. That worked for a LONG time. Now that I have to keep Stampin' Up! stuff separate, I have two different scrap bins. I got a wild hair one evening (few months ago) and took my scrap bin and punch crate upstairs. I punched out tons of little shapes while watching a movie. Afterward, I was so proud to have used half of my scraps. Then I realized I now have a box of little punched pieces to use. They've been finding their way onto cards though. It's been much easier to use the punches than it was all the scraps.

Ms_Pebbles
Diva
Ms_Pebbles

P.A.!
All scraps has a home with me....SEND THEM ON!!! LOL

Melissa Birlem
Idol
Melissa Birlem

Be careful what you wish for Ms. P!!!!

Melissa Birlem
Idol
Melissa Birlem

How is everyone doing?

Ms_Pebbles
Diva
Ms_Pebbles

Hey Melissa!
I still have to get my butt to the store to get my tiles!

Melissa Birlem
Idol
Melissa Birlem

Hi Ms. P! You still have plenty of time. And I'm sure you have other swaps that are due before this one!

scrappy_day
Idol
scrappy_day

I haven't started yet either. Maybe this weekend I will give it a shot!

Melissa Birlem
Idol
Melissa Birlem

Good morning ladies!

Ms_Pebbles
Diva
Ms_Pebbles

Good Melissa!

scrappy_day
Idol
scrappy_day

I was trying to fall asleep last night and thought of a great idea for one of my tiles! I can't wait to try it this weekend! Hopefully it works just like I envisioned it!

Melissa Birlem
Idol
Melissa Birlem

Awesome!!! I can't wait to see it. I'm sure it will turn out wonderfully!

I love sleepy craft thoughts!! Subconsciously, creativity is unbridled!

crafty lefty
Guru
crafty lefty

Jci Melissa I responded to your pm.

Melissa Birlem
Idol
Melissa Birlem

Thanks Tocarra, I'm adding you now.

Melissa Birlem
Idol
Melissa Birlem

There are only a few days left to sign up. Please check the first post to make sure I have everyone in the right groups.

Sassie
Sassie 
Idol
Sassie

could i please get a spot in the ATC

scrappy_day
Idol
scrappy_day
In response to Sassie

I made my tile for fall this weekend. Now I just have to do the Halloween one!

Melissa Birlem
Idol
Melissa Birlem

Sassie, I added you to ATC. Thanks!

Scrappy, I hope you post pictures when you're ready! I have to finish my cute Halloween and ATC tiles yet.

scrappy_day
Idol
scrappy_day

I will be sure to post pictures. I wasn't sure if I should or not. I didn't know if they were suppose to be a surprise or not! he he

Melissa Birlem
Idol
Melissa Birlem

It'll still be a surprise as to which one you get back!

molson
molson 
Veteran
molson

speaking of scraps.... I found this paper flower tutorial yesterday...by accident really but I thought I would share for anyone who could use it http://stacycohen.blogspot.com/2010/08/prima-layout- and...

I haven't started my tiles yet, but I too have been having bedtime thoughts of them LOL

Melissa Birlem
Idol
Melissa Birlem
In response to molson

Awesome, thanks for sharing the tutorial!

LOL - hope you're jotting down late night notes!

Ms_Pebbles
Diva
Ms_Pebbles

Thanks Michelle, I have that one in my gallery as well! I forgot all about those!

i heart scrapping
Diva
i heart scrapping

Got my Halloween one done; now to ponder on the ATC one!

Melissa Birlem
Idol
Melissa Birlem

Awesome! Can't wait to see it, Bonnie!

scrappy_day
Idol
scrappy_day

Here is my fall tile.
http://www.scrapbook.com/galleries/364247/view /3726331/...

Melissa Birlem
Idol
Melissa Birlem

Scrappy - Great work!!! Love the rich colors!

scrappy_day
Idol
scrappy_day

THanks Melissa! It didn't quite turn out like I envisioned but I was happy with it. I have an idea for my Halloween one so I hope to do that one this weekend.
How is everyone else doing on theirs?

Melissa Birlem
Idol
Melissa Birlem

I have to finish a mini album for my Aunt & Uncle's 20th wedding anniversary this weekend. As soon as that's done, I can get back to all of these fun swaps!!!

YourScrapAttack
Diva
YourScrapAttack

ok ill take a atc if possiable.

Melissa Birlem
Idol
Melissa Birlem
In response to YourScrapAttack

Sure thing, Rhonda.

Today's the last day for sign-ups. I hope everyone has fun creating their tiles!!!

scrappy_day
Idol
scrappy_day

I finished my Halloween tile. These are so much fun!
(sorry I don't know how to post the pictures into this post)
http://www.scrapbook.com/gallery/source/36/364 247/00233...

Melissa Birlem
Idol
Melissa Birlem

Awesome tile!!! I love your bat!

To add a photo to the forum, go into your gallery, open the picture you want to post. On the left side, halfway down, there is a link to "link/embed image". Click on that, then click the little circle next to "img code". Copy the code from the box right below "copy and paste the embed code below". Then come into the forum you want to post in, write your post, and paste the code (ctrl+v).

Melissa Birlem
Idol
Melissa Birlem

I started working on my fall tile last night. Not sure I like the background yet.

M's had a ton of stuff on clearance the other day, so I had to check it out. I was so proud of myself! LOL I only spent $26. I walked out with a few new paint colors, some metal antiquing supplies, an acrylic medium sampler pack, some modeling paste, spray gloss sealer, and some crackle paint.

scrappy_day
Idol
scrappy_day

Wow Melissa - that's a lot of stuff for $26!! Good deal! Can't wait to see your fall tile!

provinca
Governor
provinca

I finished my fall tile last night and I must say I'm pretty happy with it. I used alcohol inks for the background. Should I have used some type of sealer over that????

scrappy_day
Idol
scrappy_day
In response to provinca

Anna, I think the alcohol inks should be ok on your tile. I used regular ink on mine and I didn't seal it with anything.

Melissa Birlem
Idol
Melissa Birlem

Anna - Can't wait to see your tile!!!

Because these are being used as decorative pieces rather than 'coasters', a sealant shouldn't be necessary. The first ones I did seal, but they had paper on them. The two I just finished painting aren't sealed. One is paint and metallic finisher. The other is paint and modeling paste.

I would like to open another tile swap after this for coasters if people are interested?? Coasters would need to be sealed to prevent condensation from ruining the designs.

scrappy_day
Idol
scrappy_day

Oh I would be in for the coaster swap! I was trying to find some pictures of the ones I made but I gave them all away for Christmas gifts.

Ms_Pebbles
Diva
Ms_Pebbles

I would be in for coasters too!

Melissa Birlem
Idol
Melissa Birlem

Would you want to swap one coaster or a set of coasters? I'd like to set the next one up as a secret sister swap so that shipping is reduced for everyone. I was thinking of a set of at least 2 coasters.

scrappy_day
Idol
scrappy_day

I agree - at least 2 coasters. I would worry that a set of 4 might break in the mail.

Melissa Birlem
Idol
Melissa Birlem

I think a set of 4 would be fine, but you'd have to wrap each one in bubble wrap and pack it tightly into a box. Two would be easier to manage for right now, unless there's a lot of interest.

provinca
Governor
provinca

Well . . . when I went to buy my tiles for this swap, I bought an extra 4 tiles (just in case), so guess I'm in for a coaster swap since I already have the tiles!!

Melissa Birlem
Idol
Melissa Birlem
In response to provinca

Awesome Anna! I am anxious to see everyone's tiles this round.

Sassie
Sassie 
Idol
Sassie

Grr every time im out & about i forget to buy the tile!!! I even had to go into the hardware store yesterday for a door knob and still forgot!!!

Ive found some awesome embelishments ... now tomarrow JUST a trip to the hardware store!!! LOL Anna, great idea Im going to pick up more also incase i mess up OR i cant stop creating, what a cute halloween gift idea

Edited by Sassie on 09-06-12 04:10 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

crafty lefty
Guru
crafty lefty
In response to Sassie

Jci

scrappy_day
Idol
scrappy_day

Is anyone putting felt or anything on the back of the tiles to protect them? I was just curious!

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics