Username Post: ~*~February Design Seeds Color Challenge~*~        (Topic#1584535)
GentlewoodFarms
Mayor
GentlewoodFarms

Back by popular request from the players. The 2013 Design Seeds Color Challenge.

Basically, it's an open ended color challenge where the rule is simply that you have to include EVERY color in the palette in some way on your project.

It's easy play - no pressure, no voting, no front page updating. It's a low impact forum! Just post by the end of the month and we'll see what happens.

Use the photo itself as an inspiration to a twist.

Here's our February inspiration. Enjoy the play!

beck_bear
Diva
beck_bear
In response to GentlewoodFarms

love these colours, i will have to think about the twist though, i'm in

GentlewoodFarms
Mayor
GentlewoodFarms
In response to beck_bear

Let's see --

I see fabric, leaves, gooey stuff, a glass jar (or vial), stitches, food, layers, folds...

Tracy F
Governor
Tracy F

Love these colors! I'm in!

klweist
Diva
klweist
In response to Tracy F

I commented on the January challenge but I thought maybe I should leave a note here. These colors will work great for the photos I'm scrapping for my parents' trip to Alaska. For Christmas, I told them I would create a scrapbook for them. So far, I'm only a month behind..

GentlewoodFarms
Mayor
GentlewoodFarms
In response to klweist

Creating an album is a work of the heart. I had so much fun doing my darling nephew's first year baby book, my "sisters" Italy mini book for my mom, and my dad's heritage book.

It's a LOT of work, but when you're doing it for someone you love, it's also a lot of fun.

klweist
Diva
klweist

Pat, that is so true. Maybe that's why I have procrastinated so far. I am excited but I want it to be my best work because they deserve that.

GentlewoodFarms
Mayor
GentlewoodFarms
In response to klweist

Well, Kelly, here's something to think about.

People who do not scrapbook have absolutely NO idea how much work is involved, so you can KIND of get away with "not your best" and instead do "just good enough." You're going to have to really move to get an album done, and if you keep thinking "best" or "perfect," two things are going to happen.

Thing 1 is that you're going to end up spending more money than you expect.

Thing 2 is that you're going to second guess every decision you make about everything you are doing.

If you're working against a time constraint - you want to have the album done by a certain date - MY advice is to do this.

#1. Get a pile of sketches. Maybe go to PageMaps and choose a month. Do every sketch in the pile. Stay as close to the sketch as possible because the work is already mostly done.

#2. Get all the paper layers and basics glued down for all the pages. I call this step the "skeleton" because it's the foundation that the rest of your page is built on. Get ALL the skeletons done for the entire album. That way, you're not dealing with embellishment decisions one page at a time.

#3. Once your skeletons are done, you can put away your paper trimmer and papers and ruler. Then you can pull your major embellishments out - flowers, flourishes, chipboard, etc. Get those put on your pages. I call this step the "muscles."

For MOST non-scrappers, this step is the "good enough" stage, and you'll have a lovely album done in a decent time frame.

#4. But you also have the option now, if you have time left over, to do the final "skin and makeup" step which is all those small detail embellishments - bling, stitching, metal bits, tags, stickers, brads... etc.

Now - if you aren't working against a time constraint and you want to play each page of your album in the challenges forum here, that's a different thing altogether. I did my darling nephew's album that way - one page at a time, playing them as I went. It was more fun, but I still had to REALLY hustle to get it into my brother and sil's hands by his first birthday.

klweist
Diva
klweist

Thank you SO much! That is great advice and I think I will use it. I may take some time and play some of the pages here. I always appreciate your wisdom and years of scrappy experience.

klweist
Diva
klweist
In response to klweist

Oh, Pat. I have a question. What do you do when you get to the muscle and skin part and realize the embellishment might look better tucked under the skeleton? Do you try to lift up glued down paper or revise your plan? I'm a "straight-lines-and-lists -make-me-happy" kinda gal. Scrapping already stretches me, creatively. That's one aspect of it that I love.

Faithscrapper
Mayor
Faithscrapper
In response to klweist

great colors!! I'm in again!

Tracy F
Governor
Tracy F
In response to klweist

• klweist Said:
Oh, Pat. I have a question. What do you do when you get to the muscle and skin part and realize the embellishment might look better tucked under the skeleton? Do you try to lift up glued down paper or revise your plan? I'm a "straight-lines-and-lists -make-me-happy" kinda gal. Scrapping already stretches me, creatively. That's one aspect of it that I love.

Kelly, when I make skeleton pages, I only glue down the middle part of the papers so that I can tuck things in when I get to the embellishment stage. Then when I'm all finished I go back and glue everything down better. Hope that helps!

PamStewart.Iowa
Governor
PamStewart.Iowa
In response to Tracy F

Wow! What great advice and would work so well -even on digital.
I'm hoping to do this one this month.

klweist
Diva
klweist
In response to PamStewart.Iowa

Thanks Tracy...that is very helpful. I'm not sure why I didn't think of that. As my 10 year old dd would say...'DUH'! I will definitely use that advice.

GentlewoodFarms
Mayor
GentlewoodFarms
In response to klweist

• klweist Said:

For starters, I don't glue the edges until I'm positive that I'm happy.

But yep. I pull up what I can and stick it under. If that's not completely possible, I'll try trimming the piece that's going to go under until it's just BARELY under. And if that won't work, I trim so that they butt up against each other and lap something over the seam.

I know it might be easier to plan it all ahead, but that sure seems to stifle me creatively.

GentlewoodFarms
Mayor
GentlewoodFarms
In response to Tracy F

• Tracy F Said:

Kelly, when I make skeleton pages, I only glue down the middle part of the papers so that I can tuck things in when I get to the embellishment stage. Then when I'm all finished I go back and glue everything down better. Hope that helps!

GMTA (great minds think alike)

under5feet
Mayor
under5feet

I found this challenge really challenged me and it came out so pretty. This is a fun one!

GentlewoodFarms
Mayor
GentlewoodFarms
In response to under5feet

Thanks...

It was a fun one in my head, so I was hoping that others would think so too. Glad you are happy with your last project!

Miss CA
Mayor
Miss CA

I'm going to try and get this one done this month. I didn't get Jan's done but still might if I find the right papers.

Thanks for the great insight on how to do a whole bunch of LO's Pat. I need to do about 200 zoo photos and I'm going to scrap them that way. Thanks!

Faithscrapper
Mayor
Faithscrapper
In response to Miss CA

Happy Friday!!

AuntJo
AuntJo 
Queen
AuntJo
In response to Faithscrapper

Oh do I love this color pallette! I'm in! Let's hope I can get one done this month!

jazzescrapper
Governor
jazzescrapper
In response to AuntJo

I love the colors and the inspiration. Now to get scrapping. I've been out of the swing of things I have to get motivated again.

AuntJo
AuntJo 
Queen
AuntJo
In response to jazzescrapper

ok...so last night I just jumped in here and signed up but didn't read all the chatter.

Pat thanks for the input on the skeleton pages. That may help me out in doing this heritage book too...just not sure if my mind will let me do it that way since I am not sure what photos I will be using on each page. But in some cases it sure will be worth a shot!

I may have to use this color pallette ona card or two. Is that ok? or does it have to be a layout?

AuntJo
AuntJo 
Queen
AuntJo
In response to AuntJo

read the first post!

Tracy F
Governor
Tracy F
In response to AuntJo

mms

AuntJo
AuntJo 
Queen
AuntJo
In response to Tracy F

shhhh. it's too noisy around here!

beck_bear
Diva
beck_bear
In response to AuntJo

here is my entry with the twist (texture and fabric)

Easter Bunny 2012 By Beck_bear

AuntJo
AuntJo 
Queen
AuntJo
In response to beck_bear

ACU!

sasload4
Governor
sasload4
In response to AuntJo

JCI

AuntJo
AuntJo 
Queen
AuntJo
In response to sasload4

mms!

Miss CA
Mayor
Miss CA
In response to AuntJo

acu

AuntJo
AuntJo 
Queen
AuntJo
In response to AuntJo

I'm hoping to get this done over the weekend! We'll see!

GentlewoodFarms
Mayor
GentlewoodFarms
In response to AuntJo

Anybody willing to let me get away with this?

It's not QUITE as orange as it looks on screen, but it's not quite RED enough either....

If you call foul, I'll go back to the drawing board...because, honestly, I don't think it qualifies. It was just "almost" enough.

SMILE - First Haircut by GentlewoodFarms

AuntJo
AuntJo 
Queen
AuntJo

remember you said....this is a relaxed board. I'll let the almost red not orange color stay. Hey there is the red in his shirt!!!! I am really wondering if I will ever get unstuck from the page I am working on!

Tracy F
Governor
Tracy F
In response to AuntJo

I agree with Becky!

GentlewoodFarms
Mayor
GentlewoodFarms
In response to Tracy F

Thanks girls. That means I can check this one off into the "done pile."

I finished my Paper Mixing Bowl project today - I think I'm tired of goo and mist and mucky mess and ready to do something just dry bones and glue.

I have to get caught up on my Project 52 - I'm three weeks behind on that one!

AuntJo
AuntJo 
Queen
AuntJo

Well was hoping to work on this this weekend...but didn't happen! Hoping I can incorporate these colors in a layout I have in mind. However, I feel my mojo slowing down...but I will just try to lift someone or use a sketch!

AuntJo
AuntJo 
Queen
AuntJo
In response to AuntJo

almost done! Maybe tomorrow?

klweist
Diva
klweist
In response to AuntJo

JCI...

Faithscrapper
Mayor
Faithscrapper
In response to klweist

Pat, he's way to cute to argue about!!! I think it's great!!

AuntJo
AuntJo 
Queen
AuntJo

Yay! Gotta er done!

Al & Marie Burger Marriage~50th Anniversary Page By AuntJo

Hope the colors in here aren't too dark or muted with gray for the palette. If so I can go back to the drawing board.

under5feet
Mayor
under5feet
In response to AuntJo

JCI
Surprised more people aren't doing this cool challenge!

AuntJo
AuntJo 
Queen
AuntJo

jci...me too!

GentlewoodFarms
Mayor
GentlewoodFarms
In response to AuntJo

It's because it's a "no pressure" forum. There's no pressure to DO it, so ...

You know, it's kind of like management by crisis lifestyle - oh wait, that's MY lifestyle.

It might be that not many people have actually FOUND it yet. Talk it up in some other forums maybe. ;-)

Faithscrapper
Mayor
Faithscrapper

Happy birthday AuntJo!!!

Faithscrapper
Mayor
Faithscrapper

Hope to get this one done today!

GentlewoodFarms
Mayor
GentlewoodFarms

Happy Birthday, Becky! Hope it's fantastic!

AuntJo
AuntJo 
Queen
AuntJo

Thanks ladies! Had a great day with just the family and getting to hear my sweet gk's voices over the phone.

Ok...we will have to talk it up!

beck_bear
Diva
beck_bear
In response to AuntJo

jci

AuntJo
AuntJo 
Queen
AuntJo
In response to beck_bear

hi!

Tracy F
Governor
Tracy F
In response to AuntJo

Good Morning!

under5feet
Mayor
under5feet
In response to Tracy F

Giddy Up By Under5feet

klweist
Diva
klweist

jci...

GentlewoodFarms
Mayor
GentlewoodFarms
In response to klweist

Gorgeous project, Corky!

AuntJo
AuntJo 
Queen
AuntJo

jci...and acu! Adorable page Corky!

GentlewoodFarms
Mayor
GentlewoodFarms
In response to AuntJo

AuntJo - I missed commenting on your project. It's beautiful. I don't think there is anything wrong with using the grey to tone things down! :-)

I'm off work today. It's raining ice. Off to make a pot of coffee and then see what adventures lurk at my scrap desk!

Tracy F
Governor
Tracy F

I plan on working on this today.

Tracy F
Governor
Tracy F
In response to Tracy F

Got it done. My version of the twist is the burlap ribbon.

Montezuma Castle By Tracy F

grandma_sue
Angel
grandma_sue
In response to AuntJo

If you count the colors in the pictures and embellishments, I think I got them all. If not, let me know!
Oceanside By Grandma_sue

AuntJo
AuntJo 
Queen
AuntJo
In response to grandma_sue

ACU!

GentlewoodFarms
Mayor
GentlewoodFarms
In response to AuntJo

Great projects, girls.

Next month, I've added a front page update - I know, I know, but I thought it would be nice to have a place where we could all SEE these projects together in one spot. They're SO pretty!

klweist
Diva
klweist

Thanks for going the extra mile, Pat.

klweist
Diva
klweist
In response to klweist

Here's my submission for February:

Majesty By Klweist

pale blue - bg paper
aqua blue - matting (yes, it is a different color. You just can't tell on the photo)
cranberry - strip
plum - hexies and half circle
lime green - title

I love the addition of lime green. It was a great accent color for my title.

Edited by klweist on 02-22-13 10:25 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

AuntJo
AuntJo 
Queen
AuntJo
In response to klweist

Great LO Kelly! That pic makes me miss my home of Colorado!

Tracy F
Governor
Tracy F

• GentlewoodFarms Said:
Great projects, girls.

Next month, I've added a front page update - I know, I know, but I thought it would be nice to have a place where we could all SEE these projects together in one spot. They're SO pretty!

Thanks for doing this! I know it's extra work for you but it will be much appreciated!

GentlewoodFarms
Mayor
GentlewoodFarms
In response to Tracy F

It's not THAT much more work. ;-)

klweist
Diva
klweist
In response to AuntJo

• AuntJo Said:
Great LO Kelly! That pic makes me miss my home of Colorado!

Aww, thanks. Colorado must be a gorgeous state. My mom took dozens (well, that might be an exageration ) so look for more in the future. I hope it doesn't make you sad, though.

AuntJo
AuntJo 
Queen
AuntJo
In response to klweist

No it won't make me sad....just wish I could go! But we will be going in June for a big family reunion. So all is good. We usually go back every couple of years.

Faithscrapper
Mayor
Faithscrapper
In response to AuntJo

great colors this month, I'm sorry I didn't get it done! This has been a busy month!! Enjoy your week, everyone!

GentlewoodFarms
Mayor
GentlewoodFarms

Girls, there's still almost a week left in February, so you've got lots of time to get this in.

But - NO PRESSURE. If you don't get it done, so what?

If you're looking for the March inspiration, here it is.

~*~March Design Seeds Challenge~*~

AuntJo
AuntJo 
Queen
AuntJo

off to check it out!

GentlewoodFarms
Mayor
GentlewoodFarms

Closing the doors on this forum at midnight. If you're planning to play, you'd best do it!

Or if you can't get it done here, just post it in the forum next month - shoot, we don't care! It's low impact, no pressure, all for fun.

Whatever you want to do.

AuntJo
AuntJo 
Queen
AuntJo

Thanks Pat for hosting this!

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics