Username Post: Polaroids?        (Topic#1411999)
*Bri*
*Bri* 
Tenant
*Bri*
  • *Bri* on 03-30-07 05:42 AM

I'm going to be doing an album for my grandmother with her old pictures and a lot of them are polaroids. Any suggestions on how to scrap them? Or should I just scan them and make copies of them on regular photo paper? Thanks in advance for your help!

pieces of me
Expert
pieces of me
In response to *Bri*

definitely DON'T cut them apart or crop them. It will ruin them. I scanned my grandparents ones and then reprinted them on photo paper. It's not the greatest solution, but it works.

New Kid On the Block
In response to *Bri*

I had some of these also. I color copied some of mine. That was before I had a scanner.

What I wanted to suggest is that I saw somewhere that Becky Higgins made a layout actually cropping and matting some of her photos to look like old Polaroids, to "give them a vintage polaroid look". Maybe that would be a fun way to approach the project.

Just an idea.

Jenny from the Crop
Mayor
Jenny from the Crop
In response to janquilts

photo corners, non adhesive attachments, pockets... get creative. I think it would be kinda cool to use the polaroids because it would look totally retro! play with it. I say don't be afraid, but don't crop... I've heard that's not good.

good luck and be sure to let us know when you've done some work and posted in your gallery!

Julia2000
Diva
Julia2000
In response to *Bri*

I have had to scan and reprint them before... also, I have taken them to my LSS and used their color copier to make duplicates for scrapbooking. Their color copier has toner safe for sbing

Angie Lanigan
Resident
Angie Lanigan
In response to Julia2000

Actually, it's perfectly safe to crop your polaroids!

• Quote:
Q: Are Polaroid photos safe to cut? Will they release some kind of chemical that will ruin my scrapbook or harm my other photos?

A: Polaroid photos are absolutely safe to cut for use in both craft and scrapbook projects. Polaroid recommends waiting 24 hours after the photo is emitted from the camera to crop the photo. At this time, the image has fully developed and the internal chemicals have neutralized, making them safe to cut for creative use. To achieve the best cut edge, Polaroid recommends using a sharp, straight-edged cutting tool.

Additionally, Polaroid photos are developed with water-soluble compounds. If the photo is cut prematurely, simply rinse your hands with water and wipe the material off the photo. This compound will not damage your scrapbook in any way. Uncut Polaroid photos are completely pH-neutral, while cut Polaroid photos are pH neutral (6 to 8.5) within the picture area.

• Quote:
Q: Can Polaroid photos be archived? Do they last as long as traditional 35mm prints?

A: According to the American National Standard�s Institute, it takes more one than 100 years for a Polaroid photo to fade, especially if properly stored in an album. Additionally, Polaroid photos do not fade any faster than other photography mediums. In fact, each Polaroid photo has a built-in protective polyester outer layer, so fingerprints can easily be wiped off, making them perfect for archiving memories in a scrapbook or for use in kid-friendly crafts.

Kiber
Kiber 
Pro
Kiber
  • Kiber on 03-30-07 10:43 AM
In response to Angie Lanigan

I have cut mine after reading above type articles, but before you do I recommend getting a Xyron that they will fit into once you cut them because getting adhesive to stick to the back is not easy. I cut mine and actually pulled off the old backing because it was old and fell off anyway and then I ran the entire piece through my Xyron and it sealed it.

luv to scrap
Pro
luv to scrap
In response to Kiber

I recommend copying them. Polaroids deteriorate a bit over time (the colors fade - or maybe it's just how mine were stored).

Kiber
Kiber 
Pro
Kiber
  • Kiber on 03-30-07 07:41 PM
In response to luv to scrap

Mine have not deteriorated that I can tell...they are from the 80's ...but, it would not hurt to copy that is for sure.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics