Username Post: Geneva Dairy Retreat Indiana....any experiences lately or in the past?        (Topic#1428097)
New Kid On the Block

Has anyone been the the Olde Geneva Dairy in Indiana for a scrapbooking retreat? I have seen some positive and negative...although they are not dated. Any experiences recently or in the past you can share?

Marilee55
Idol
Marilee55
In response to scrappin4memories

I have not, but would be interested in any replies.

Tenant

Stay away from this retreat.

It does not have operating licenses and the guy (Craig Bridgers) is still taking reservations and promoting it as viable business.

See separate post regarding recent experiences with this retreat in Indiana

Veroncia
Expert
Veroncia
In response to nadonnell

Don't go!!!!!!! I was supposed to go 7-6 with two other girlfriends. But the owner never confirmed my reservation or returned any of my e-mails or phone calls. My credit card company did credit my account for the money I paid because they never responed the AmEx either. The property is having issues with zoning and the health deapartment.

We ended up going to a wonderful retreat house in Tipton, IN called Cornerstone Memories. Fantastic service, and very attentive to the guess. I highly recommend them to anybody. There are pictures on my blog of the house.

creativedesign
New Kid On the Block
creativedesign

HI,

I am so glad I found the posts about Olde Geneva Dairy! I have been so angry for a year, and there weren't any posts. I'm so glad there are now.

I had a terrible experience. I booked the place through his website, then I found out that it was his ex-wife running the place (with a different website) and that he was fraudulently accepted my payment. He wasn't supposed to have anything to do with the business, but was taking reservations and money just to try to mess with his wife and take peoples money.

I reported it to the police, but didn't get very far.

I have a family member who is in law enforcement. He found out that Craig (first real name is Anson) has a police record with multiple felonies including battery.

I would not recommend this place, you will likely have a bad experience or lose you money all together.

creativedesign
New Kid On the Block
creativedesign

OH MY! After I made the earlier post, I decided to do a google search about Geneva Dairy and look at this.

I saw this on another message board. I really felt it necessary to spread the word for other women's safely. Looks like I got off easy just losing my money.

Here is the post I saw on Two peas in a pod....

I got these Olde Geneva Dairy emails from the Indiana Scrappers Yahoo Group today so I thought I would pass them on as a warning! I have never been there myself, but I don't think I'll be visiting anytime soon!
----

I was there in November 2006 with 3 of my friends. It was REALLY in need of deep cleaning at that point so I'm not surprised it is closed. The place was definitely not handicapped accessible. The stairs going up to the crop room were dangerous for just walking putting aside getting scrapbook totes up it. It is a really old farm house and would require thousands and thousands of dollars to convert to a safer place. I feel bad that the guy running it is now deceiving people. Earlier this spring he was having the retreats off site while working on "zoning issues". He was an odd bird. Through a couple other people who have stayed there twice in the past I heard about the divorce stories but I thought the divorce was over before I went 11/06....One other thing I thought was strange about the weekend was that he had no one stay with us over the nights. Basically after dinner he and his helper left and didn't come back until morning. It was a bit creepy knowing no one was there but those of us visiting.......

---and----

I got this from a friend, who got it from the cku board. I think it's important to spread the word since according to the website, this place is still taking bookings.

Here's what it said....

Anyway....wanted to tell you all about my Friday. I had booked the Olde Geneva Dairy Scrapbooking Retreat in IN for the weekend for me and 4 others. We arrived there about 4pm Friday, after about 4-5 hours on the road. (We are from Western KY)

The owner ran out to meet us-- rushed us to unload b/c "a pregnant woman was coming and needed the parking" He then proceeded to hide our vehicles in the woods.

After we had been there about 30 min.....just settling in to crop all weekend --the cops showed up and said we needed to get out in a hurry....the building had been condemned and the owner had pulled off the signs and that was why he hid our cars. We quickly had to pack ALL the stuff back down the steps and reload and leave!! It was horrible. We were relieved that we didn't have to stay the night and this happen in the middle of the night.

The place used to be nice, but now it's not. The cops said that the owners had divorced and he got the business and now it's in shambles...

Tenant
In response to creativedesign

If any of you ladies out there have had dealings with this guy in the last 6-7 months I encourage you to file a complaint with the Indiana Attorney General's office. The only way we are going to shut this guy down is to make as much noise as possible.

He does not have any type of Bed & Breakfast License or Certificate, in the state of Indiana B&Bs are only allowed up to 14 people, yet he is advertising up to 18 in a pinch.

He now has in "small" print the following statement on his website, as a disclainer to get him out of hot water with the state............the County Health Department and the State HAVE NOT issued new licenses/certificates to this person. He does not hold a Merchant Certificate for this business, the surrounding counties have no records of applications for new certificates or licenses. He has no insurance for this business. The other Retreats in Indiana are dumbfounded and appaled that the state can't seem to shut him down.

Attention friends and all serious scrapbookers – We’re moving! As you could expect, there comes a time for all business that have outgrown one location to face this situation and our time has now come. In early 2004 we thought hosting 6-8 guest 2 or 3 weekends a month would be great but we love to do what we do and thanks to the many scrapbooking friends we’ve made that love what they do also, things just got a little faster and bigger than we expected before we knew it. Everyone loved the old dairy barn for sure, but when looking at expansion needs, update possibilities and new zoning considerations it made more sense to chose a location already suited to accommodating “the most popular weekend scrapbooking retreat in the world.” Yes, we’ve actually lined-up a bigger and better location for the Dairy and can’t wait for you to see it. Still the same great amenities, food, free equipment and work area just a location much better for keeping up with the number of scrapbook guests we have hosted for several years and just a few miles away from the original location! We plan to have the move complete in just a few days and all guests that could be effected during the moving process have already been contacted. At this time, ALL pictures and property descriptions on this website relate to our OLD location that we do not hold retreats at any more. New pictures and property descriptions will be put up in short order as soon as we have the new location ready for the guests and we’re putting of course all efforts into that goal as we hope you understand. For more information on the move please CLICK HERE. – Otherwise, please enjoy the site and rest assured that if you like what you see now, it’ll only get better. Reservations are still being taken as normal. Thanks!

My group of 16 have lost their reservations and some of them the entire fee for our weekend the 26-29th of July of this year. I personally have been down there, frankly I didn't see any place "a few miles down the road" being set up as a new location. On the response to mine and all the other gals cancellation email, this person signed the names of his 3 daughters under the age of 13 as staff (this is per the Health Department).

PLEASE do not be taken in my this website.

Susan8555
Tenant
Susan8555
In response to creativedesign

We went to OGD in Feb 2006, when Talitha was still running it. It was very nice, albeit cramped with a house full of women and only 2 bathrooms. I did have a run in with Craig stealing my deposit, and then arranging for me to be picked up from the airport, which Talitha knew nothing about! She was awesome though! She honored the fact that I did pay my deposit and she had transportation to pick us up. Apparently at the time Craig was not supposed to have ANY contact with any of the scrapbookers. So when I got there, I filed a police report against him for harassment.

Since then my girlfriends and I have found another scrapbook retreat that we are in LOVE with. Gotta Scrap Inn in Manchester, MI! Every room has their own bathroom, and the crop room is HUGE!!!! Food is delicious, and we always felt safe!!!!!!

Tenant
In response to Susan8555

More dirt on this place. The Shelbyville News just did an article on it.

http://www.shelbynews.com/main.asp?SectionID=1&SubS...

Tenant
In response to nadonnell

btt

Tenant
In response to nadonnell

squeak

squeak

squeak

Tenant
In response to nadonnell

the squeaky wheel is working

http://www.shelbynews.com/main.asp?Search=1&Article...

Tenant
In response to nadonnell

squeak...................there are still people out there who have reservations for the future dates.

be sure to check out www.oldegenevadairy.blogspot.com

Tenant
In response to nadonnell

This still hasn't gone away..............Craig Bridgers/Olde Geneva Dairy Scrapbooking Retreat, is still scamming the scrapbooking community.

Eight women call the police on Craig Bridgers

If you have had dealings in the last year or so and have lost money to this place I urge you to file a complaint to the Indiana Attorney General and the other agencies that deal with this type of fraud, you can find links to those websites and other info at Say NO to the Olde Geneva Dairy Retreat

Tenant
In response to nadonnell

btt

scrappinmac
Expert
scrappinmac
In response to nadonnell

Yikes! You'd think he'd be shut down by now!

scrappinmac
Expert
scrappinmac
In response to scrappinmac

Some scrappers ought to go in there with hidden cameras to get him on tape!

Why do the hotels in Greensburg keep letting him register his "guests" there? They should be notified about this, so they don't do business with him.

Edited by scrappinmac on 11-13-07 09:23 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics