Username Post: How much do you spend?        (Topic#1441797)
chicky9914
Resident
chicky9914

Just outa curiosity, I was wondering how much everybody typically spends on each page they create? I'm working in my first job outa school and don't exactly have a ton of money to spend on this expensive hobby. Also, any money-saving tips you guys have would be greatly appreciated.

What do you splurge on? What do you save on? Do you get most of your stuff in bulk? Online? Thanks!

Puppydog Jammies
Diva
Puppydog Jammies
In response to chicky9914

I buy most things either on sale or with 40% off Coupons at M's or HL. I think Joanns does % off Coupons too. I guess you could say I buy "bulk" when things are on sale. It's not really bulk, it's more like stocking up cause I don't buy a lot of the same thing. I don't buy "bulk" cause I'd never use that much of one product.

$3 - $5 would be a good average for me per page. Sometimes less. Sometimes more. Depends on how many extras I use.

Scrapbook Queen
Mayor
Scrapbook Queen
In response to Puppydog Jammies

I would say anywhere between $3-$10 a page. It depends how extravagant it is! I definatley wait for sales, especially on things like cs because you go through so much. And the % off Coupons are great for bigger items.
Happy Scrappin'

missbabie
Diva
missbabie
In response to Scrapbook Queen

$3 - $10 per page is about my cost too.

I went on a mini-spree when I first got started, and bought all the "must-have" tools like the paper trimmer, good scisors, different kinds of adhesives, a small mountain of pp and cs, a few different kinds of stickers and letterings... stuff like that.

Now I spend about $50 every 6 months or so to keep me going. (I'm just cheap like that now that I've got the basics). I buy according to my needs, and based on what pages I'm about to create. I stock up on lettering when it's on sale, and paper.

diamonddeb
Guru
diamonddeb
In response to missbabie

Wow! That is a loaded question. When I first started, I bought a little of everything that I thought I would use then and in the future. Ha! I have used very little of those saved items. Now I tend to plan my layouts more carefully and spend as little as possible by using what I do have. If it is a really spectacular page, and I don't have what I need I usually spend $5 tops (includes enough for 2 pages). Coupons are good and trading w/people at scrap nights or camps is fun,too. It is an expensive hobby but very rewarding. Have fun!

Edited by diamonddeb on 11-11-07 01:16 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

ELynn
ELynn 
Angel
ELynn
  • ELynn on 11-11-07 01:09 PM
In response to diamonddeb

not much. I don't buy single sheets of paper, I buy paper packs from walmart and I don't have any tools.

though, i could do more if I spent more.

SspGrandma
Expert
SspGrandma
In response to missbabie

I spend somewhere between $2 - $5 a page, i try to keep it down to around 2 but sometimes it's really hard, i get most my paper at hobby lobby for around 25 cents a page, but my downfall is all the embellishments! You can save a lot by watching out for the sales and Coupons , another way is to make your own embellishments, I have done that a few times, but I don't think i'm all that good at it yet! Mostly i have splurged on the tools, die cutting machines,paper trimmers ect.

NoirCat
Guru
NoirCat
In response to ELynn

I would say that an average of $5 per page is not out of line. However, I often make a fancy LO with all the amenities and then just have following pages with little or no embellishments, just matting and journaling.
When I first started out, I never purchased anything that wasn't 40% or more off. I always kept a small savings waiting for the 50% off Coupons . When they came I purchased the large items like my sizzix or the dies that went with it. I also asked for large items as birthday gifts or christmas gifts when someone would ask what I wanted. Just go slow and remember the memories are the important thing, not the style, the stuff or anything like that.
I recommend good cardstock, glue, a good paper cutter, a good black pen and have a good time.

Edited by NoirCat on 11-11-07 01:19 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Here Kitty
Mayor
Here Kitty
In response to NoirCat

$1-$3 per page for me. I make my own embellishments and I also get free products from my Degisn Team each month.

kellyintn
Resident
kellyintn
In response to Here Kitty

Mine probably average about $5.00, but sometimes for special pages, I splurge.

Check out the sales at all the Craft stores in your area. They often heave really great sales and Coupons . Also check with your local scrapbook store . Many of them have yard sales a couple times a year where you can buy from other scrappers.

Try to aviod the trendy tools of the moments. I have brought some, and hardly use. When you can find Coupons or sales, stock up on the essential tools such as trimmers, scissors, an eyelet set, etc. Buying the better essentials will probably save you later.

Keep all your scraps!!!

Lamby
Lamby 
Veteran
Lamby
  • Lamby on 11-11-07 02:20 PM
In response to kellyintn

I work at Joanns and use my discount and Coupons

I make a ton of my own chipboard shapes and alphas using Cereal, pop tart etc boxes

JoanE
JoanE 
Idol
JoanE
  • JoanE on 11-11-07 03:57 PM
In response to Lamby

I think the average is $5.00 for a 2 page lay out. It depends on the embellishments, but I have a sizzix and make a lot of them myself.

Nancy Keslin
Queen
Nancy Keslin
In response to JoanE

I have no idea how much each page costs...I guess some are free because I received the products free. Others can be quite expensive. I know my dh says I spend a lot on supplies! But I don't know how many of them I use...seems they just accumulate. Maybe $3-$5?

TonyaB
TonyaB 
Idol
TonyaB
In response to Nancy Keslin

$1-$3. I purchase a lot with Coupons or clearance items. Something to remember with tools and stamps are they are an up front cost but you use them over and over. My mil and I also exchange alot. I might purchase a sticker sheet for one to two stickers and she wants the rest so that way we aren't really wasting money on emblish. that we won't use.

andtyler
Guru
andtyler
In response to TonyaB

I don't track spending per page since most items I purchase can be used on multiple layouts... I do try to track monthly scrap spending...

Scrapperdays
Resident
Scrapperdays

I've found that ever since I invested in a die cut tool, my costs have gone down. I also try to buy my other embellishments on sale, but sometimes you just have to pay full-price.

darksideme
Queen
darksideme
In response to Scrapperdays

Probably about .75 to $3 a page

Puppydog Jammies
Diva
Puppydog Jammies
In response to darksideme

It may be a pricey hobby, but it's a heck of a lot cheaper than therapy!!!

Gelidy Gelato
Diva
Gelidy Gelato

I don't track what each page costs me but now I do put down any sticker, die-cut or embellishment, that is intended for only one page, that is over $4. I may have spent it in the past, but now I think $4+ for a page of stickers is just plain nuts.

retrojulie
Governor
retrojulie
In response to Gelidy Gelato

I tend to use a lot of different pp on each LO. If I don't hit my scrap stash, I easily spend around $2.00 in paper just on one LO. However, I use scraps whenever I can.

I tend to only buy embellishments when they're on a great sale (at least 40% off) unless it's something that I *really* want.

If I splurge on anything, I'd say it's Cricut cartridges (again, though, I wait for a sale).

Guestimating, I'd say a normal page runs me *maybe* $5. Most expensive LO I have is one I did for Biltmore Estate. I purchased a $15 charm (from the gift shop) to add as embellishment to the page. That will never happen again! That was when I was new to scrapping and dumb... dumb... dumb...

Grumpy Girl
Mayor
Grumpy Girl
In response to retrojulie

I spend anywhere from $2.00-5.00 on a page! I love to shop almost if not more than I love to scrap! I love to buy sizzix alphabets!! I use Coupons whenever I have them, and my LSS has
military Mondays where I get %10 my purchase so I do try hard to spend less!!

Guru
In response to Grumpy Girl

I would say the average is about $1-$5 but I typically do two page layouts. I try to get everything when it's on sale/clearance and stock up then. Occasionally, I'll splurge on a more expensive item like some of the more expensive Jolees.

Now that I'm married and have a little one on the way I have cut down on what I buy and am really trying to use up what I have now, unless it's a sale I can't pass up.

Tenant

*looks around suspiciously* Are you a spy for my husband??

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics