Username Post: I did it OMG!        (Topic#1489469)
miniscraper
Idol
miniscraper

I felt so bad...
This Was NOT at Michaels.

I've not said anything about this for fear it might come back to bite me in the ********..Back in fall a store had scrap stuff on sale I really wanted the DCWV "All Dressed Up"stack they had it.I picked it up,thought it was a tad heavy, My mind is trying to think of WHY this is..The light went on....there was more than one stack in this pack,well knowing this i went and paid for my "one" stack..I get home and after i opened it their were 3 stacks all done up ,they hadn't taken it out of the package/wrapping..I laughed,but at the same time felt bad...lol ~ I don't normally do stuff like this either I'm as honest as they come.

New Kid On the Block
In response to miniscraper

I have done something close to that. When I got home I saw it was a bundle of packages. I have also been a stockperson at a retail store. Sometimes its hard to tell what needs to be opened and what sells as a bundle. I have also had customers grab the bundle before I had the chance to open it properly.

Mlr0607
Resident
Mlr0607

i did something like that once! I bought a Heidi Swapp clear stamp at target. i couldnt understand why the stamp said love but the back of the package said happy birthday! when i got home i looked at it and there was 4 packages all stuck together!!! all different ones too!

Mississippi Queen
Diva
Mississippi Queen
In response to Mlr0607

I bought a purse once (this was a loooong time ago). I was in a hurry, so I didn't bother to open it and look inside. Got it home and discovered that someone had stuffed it full of scarves!

Diva Scraps
Idol
Diva Scraps
In response to Mississippi Queen

I think this kind of stuff happens to everyone at one point or another.

I was at Target and I had bought a makeup kit for my DD...this was just for last years Christmas actually...the kit felt kind of heavy for what was in it...opened it up before I went to wrap it and someone had put a TON of different nail polishes and higher brand makeup in it. I felt AWFUL. Like $500 worth of stuff. THAT I did call about, but the manager never returned my call. He probably thought I was a lunatic.

dollscrap
Queen
dollscrap
In response to Diva Scraps

I bought some We Are Memory Keepers chipboard tags that match some papers. They come in a molded plastic package. I didn't use them for a long time and when I finally decided to check them out for a potential layout, there were two packages stuck together. Now I have two packages I never used. I think I bought them at an expo and maybe they were meant to be sold like that...I'll never know.

Keleia
Keleia 
Guru
Keleia

I must be THE most pathetic person ever! I went to Wally World and was looking for some craft magnets. I realized that I had only paid for one set, as they were stuck together. I told the clerk and actually paid for the other set before I left the store. THEN, went to Freddy's and found the magnets that I really wanted in the first place and they were a lot less expensive. So, now guess who is going to return the other magnets? Sometimes, you just can't win!!

Hannah S
Expert
Hannah S
In response to Mlr0607

• Mlr0607 Said:
i did something like that once! I bought a Heidi Swapp clear stamp at target. i couldnt understand why the stamp said love but the back of the package said happy birthday! when i got home i looked at it and there was 4 packages all stuck together!!! all different ones too!

The same thing happened to me!

JennAboo
Expert
JennAboo
In response to Hannah S

OMG! now see....no need to feel so bad. I also have done the same thing. I bought several packs of paper, and when I got home I realized 2 packs had not been seperated and there were three pack in the package. I did feel bad at first. However I put them in my buggy, put them on the counter and the checker rang them up as a single package. I ended up giveing them to a couple of friends who wanted to start scrapbooking but had no material. It's not shoplifting. It's an unexpected gift from the scrapbook fairy. lol

gmanscrap
Veteran
gmanscrap
In response to JennAboo

I know this sounds TERRIBLE, but....I can't tell you how many "bags" of grocery items I've left behind: tp, even meat that is "bad" when I've opened it out of the package. I live in the country, so.....I'm not "hiking a trip" back to the store to complain or "repack" my items once I've gotten home. I figure if this happens....not your fault or choice. These things have never happened to me, but then again, I rarely "shop" at the store (mainly online). Maybe I should store shop more often....would increase my odds! LOL!

flowerdisco
Idol
flowerdisco
In response to gmanscrap

I would take it as my lucky days and for the holidays I would think is from Santa

Now, seriously, Once I went to ACM , can't remember what I was buying, but I did noticed it was more than one and I put it back because I did not want them to think I was trying to pull one on them and get in trouble. But, if I did not notice, yes, I will take it as my lucky day!

rubyc
rubyc 
Expert
rubyc
  • rubyc on 12-19-08 12:32 PM

• miniscraper Said:
I felt so bad...

I've not said anything about this for fear it might come back to bite me in the ********..Back in fall a store had scrap stuff on sale I really wanted the DCWV "All Dressed Up"stack they had it.I picked it up,thought it was a tad heavy, My mind is trying to think of WHY this is..The light went on....there was more than one stack in this pack,well knowing this i went and paid for my "one" stack..I get home and after i opened it their were 3 stacks all done up ,they hadn't taken it out of the package/wrapping..I laughed,but at the same time felt bad...lol ~ I don't normally do stuff like this either I'm as honest as they come.

The same thing happened to me. Funny thing is that the lady that scanned it told me that it was alot of paper for the price. I went home and noticed that it was 3 stacks wrapped in plastic.

Judy_Scraps
Mayor
Judy_Scraps
In response to rubyc

I recently placed an order with another online store. One of the items was similar to the chipboard tags posted below. When it arrived the tags were in a plastic box that contained two packs. I guess whoever packed the order didn't realize they were sold individually. I gave away one as a gift.
Products Referenced in This Post:

Mimmy96
Veteran
Mimmy96
In response to Judy_Scraps

i have done the same thing... went to michaels eo get a pack of cardstock to come home and see that 3 packs were together... it happens to all of us... Santa was good to you

scrappin addict
Resident
scrappin addict
In response to Mimmy96

goodness i need to go buy paper at michaels!!! I was sent the wrong order from Cropper Hopper and when I called to see where mine was they said I could keep it. and would get mine soon.

PaperPrincess13
Expert
PaperPrincess13
In response to scrappin addict

Windfalls ladies, I don't think we set out to intentionally think ohhh, what can I get extra, but we all make mistakes and sometimes they are all in our favor, count it as my lucky day and say thanks! Have had it happen even at Starbucks when the girl was talking to much and actually gave me back my money and than some. I didn't realize it either till I was already somewhere else. Hey free coffee!

johnsusan8
Diva
johnsusan8
In response to PaperPrincess13

If I notice this kind of stuff, I draw it to the cashier's attention. Sometimes it's a "2 for 1" sale or something. If I don't notice until I get home, I call and tell the store staff what happened and tell them I'll pay for it the next time I'm there. Most of the time, they will tell you to keep it.

annoniemous
Veteran
annoniemous
In response to PaperPrincess13

I made an order from another scrapbooking site, and I received an item that I didn't order. I also did NOT receive two items that I ordered. The item I received was much cooler and cost a lot more ($25 instead of $10 for the other two), so instead of bothering them to send me the right products (the ones listed on my invoice and that I had paid for), I kept the mistake. Is that so bad...? I mean, if you only do it once...

Judy_Scraps
Mayor
Judy_Scraps
In response to annoniemous

Joann's once sent me a pack of MM alpha rub-ons that I didn't order. I contacted them about the order for some reason (maybe they left something out) and they told me to keep them.

This is NSBR but I ordered a Cherished Teddie from an ebay seller a couple of years ago. When I received it they had put an extra figurine in the box (different from the one I ordered). I contacted the seller asking if she had meant to do that or maybe she put it in my box by mistake. She said it was a gift because she delayed shipping the item for a few days. I didn't even notice the delay. I thought that was very nice of her. The original bear I ordered was a gift for a friend and I kept the second one for myself.

KatieJo
Governor
KatieJo

I had the same thing happen with a pack of photo corners I bought from a discount store. They too were not taken apart properly. What is more is the clerk gave me what I knew was too cheap a price on them because she couldn't find the UPC to ring them up properly. This was after I had already indicated that the price in the location had been such and such and not the price she was ringing them up at. So, when I got home and discovered that I had multiple packs of them bound together I felt a little guilty. But I figured that at the time I had tried to be as honest as I could be and calling back about them would probably be more trouble than it was worth.

Of course I am also the type who will let myself be double charged for things or put up with faulty products without complaint... many times anyway. As has been said here already, I figure it averages out. And it isn't the same thing as intentionally walking away with something you knew you were paying too little for. Of course if you absolutely can't live with the guilt, there is always the phone... you can call them and tell them what happened and try to set it right.

LilScrappy22
Expert
LilScrappy22

thats crazy i'm so broke these days i need something like this to come along...here's to hoping

bramma
bramma 
Tenant
bramma
In response to LilScrappy22

That happened to me once at JoAnns. I bought the summer stack. The whole shelf was full of shrink wrapped packs so I grabbed two, not really thinking about it. When I got home I found that each package contained 3 stacks. I called the store to tell them that one of their employees had messed up by not opening the packages. I figured they would tell me to keep the extras, but the manager asked me to return them.

scrapnread
Guru
scrapnread
In response to KatieJo

I am not trying to sound condemning, but doesn't anyone think about taking the unpaid-for-items back into the store? I have made many trips or phone calls back to a store that didn't charge me enough, or didn't ring up an item, or maybe it was on the bottom of the cart and I forgot it. I am very surprised at how many people on this board seem to think it is okay to keep the merchandise because it is scrap supplies I guess. What are we teaching the little eyes and ears that follow us around?

Meak72
Meak72 
Mayor
Meak72
In response to scrapnread

• scrapnread Said:
I am not trying to sound condemning, but doesn't anyone think about taking the unpaid-for-items back into the store? I have made many trips or phone calls back to a store that didn't charge me enough, or didn't ring up an item, or maybe it was on the bottom of the cart and I forgot it. I am very surprised at how many people on this board seem to think it is okay to keep the merchandise because it is scrap supplies I guess. What are we teaching the little eyes and ears that follow us around?

I was wondering the same thing as I was reading this. I mean 3 packs of paper? What on earth will you ever do with that many packs of the same kind of paper? And with this economy, that is just one more thing that store has to take a loss on.

Judy_Scraps
Mayor
Judy_Scraps
In response to Meak72

• Meak72 Said:
  • scrapnread Said:

I was wondering the same thing as I was reading this. I mean 3 packs of paper? What on earth will you ever do with that many packs of the same kind of paper? And with this economy, that is just one more thing that store has to take a loss on.

My post above says that I contacted Joann's online store and the ebay seller that put extra items in my packages. I was told to keep them. As far as the other store I got a duplicate item from, I didn't notice there was an extra in the pack until I went to use it. My experience with most online scrap stores is that they usually let you keep it when it's not an expensive item. It's their error and it's not the customer's responsibility to cover the cost to return it. The store would spend more money than the item is worth to have it sent back. The same is true for regular stores that neglect to unpack multiples when stocking their shelves. In a perfect world the customer is honest and drives all the way back to return it. Yet, at the same time she paid for it with good intentions. It's not the customer's fault they weren't unpacked properly. If the customer gets all the way home and then realizes the mistake, are they required to drive all the way back to the store using their time and gas to correct the store's error? Would the store reimburse them for their honesty with a small gift card or store credit for their trouble? Probably not. This really isn't a case of stealing and it's not done on purpose. It's because the store made a mistake.

Judy_Scraps
Mayor
Judy_Scraps

I just reread the original post and she did know there were more than one in the pack when she paid for it. Everything I just typed applies to those who paid for something not knowing it wasn't unpacked correctly.

randasue
Guru
randasue

i agree with this poster. i could not keep something that i did not pay for, whether it was a mistake in packaging, or just not rang up somehow. for example, i bought 6 cases of diet rite, and told the girl 3 times that i had 6 of them, but only had the one on the counter, so i didn't have to put them all up there, and she said ok. i was buying a ton of stuff, and didn't add up how much i was spending. so later when i checked my receipt, i realized she had only charged me for one. so i went back and paid for the others. the clerk thought i was crazy, but i had to do the right thing. i am not trying to sound goodie goodie, but right is right and wrong is wrong...even if it is scrap related!! by the same token, i wouldn't want the store to overcharge me, and it should work both ways. hope i don't offend anyone, but just wanted to express my opinion.
  • scrapnread Said:

Kitty_wOlf
Guru
Kitty_wOlf

• scrapnread Said:

\

well- as a General role- i would return. and as it's been- sometimes i get things insted of what i orderd- and they send me the other stuff- and told me to keep the stuff that i did'nt order.

if i know that there's a mistake- i will point it out- but if I I'm home- then no- I don't have to make a special trip back because THEY MADE A MISTAKE.

Keys
Keys 
Diva
Keys
  • Keys on 12-21-08 02:01 AM
In response to Meak72

• Meak72 Said:
  • scrapnread Said:

Thats right.

Whether you call it the Golden Rule or Karma or whatever, you will pay for it in one way or another.

* Julie *
Diva
* Julie *
In response to Keys

Hi,Miniscrapper!

If you are still feeling bad about the extra paper, go to the store, explain the situation, how its still weighing on your mind, and pay the difference. It's an easy fix if your conscience is bothering you.

I used to get those small packets of scrap supplies in the mail - unsolicited - with a note that if I don't like the supplies, I can send them back or I'll be billed for a membership to whatever company sent them. I never knew if that meant I had to pay for the supplies if I kept them or if I had to pay to ship them back or whatever. I ended up tossing the packages because the stuff was low-quality, but it really bothered me - do I pay or what?? And is that even legal for them to send me stuff I didn't want or request??

Judy_Scraps
Mayor
Judy_Scraps
In response to * Julie *

Julie, anything that's sent to you unsolicited through the mail is legal for you to keep, no strings attached. You don't have to feel guilty for not paying for it because you didn't ask for it to be sent to you.

From USPS:
Do I have to return unsolicited merchandise?
If a company sends you a gift in the mail, but you didn't request it, the item is yours, and you are under no obligation to pay anything (regardless of the mail class).

You, the consumer, may only legally be sent two types of merchandise through the mail without your consent or agreement:

Free samples which are clearly and conspicuously marked as such.
Merchandise mailed by a charitable organization that is soliciting contributions.
And in these two cases, you can consider the merchandise a gift if you wish. In all other situations, it is illegal to send merchandise to someone, unless that person has previously purchased or requested it.

If you do not wish to pay for unsolicited merchandise or make a donation to a charity sending such an item, you may do one of three things (in each case, by law, you have no obligation to the sender):

If you have not opened the mailpiece, you may mark it "Return to Sender," and the United States Postal Service will return it with no additional charge to you.
If you open the mailpiece and don't like what you find, you may throw it away.
If you open the mailpiece and like what you find, you may keep it for free. In this instance, "finders-keepers" applies unconditionally.
Furthermore, it is illegal for a company that sends you unordered merchandise to follow the mailing with a bill or dunning communication.

If you are aware of violations of the federal law prohibiting the mailing of unordered merchandise, or if you have personally had difficulty with such items--especially if you are sent statements insisting on payment for the merchandise--you should contact you local postmaster or the nearest Postal Inspector.

* Julie *
Diva
* Julie *

Judy, that is GREAT information! Thank you!

ScrapperSara22
Guru
ScrapperSara22
In response to * Julie *

• * Julie * Said:

Ditto that. Thanks a ton! I was kind of assuming that, but never saw it in black and white. I'm pretty sure I know exactly which company you're talking about, Julie. I always end up throwing it away. I think it's such a horrible gimmick. I already pay for two of their magazine subscriptions. I don't need some crappy fonts cd or the same recycled card kit.

As for the rest of the convo- it's happened to me, I'm sure it's happened to all of us. I was Jo's and picked up a thing of K & Co. Bling, when I got home, I realized there were three of the same packets packaged together. At first I thought, WooHoo, my lucky day. And then the guilt set in a few happy thoughts later. I called the store, explained what happened, and they said don't bother, just keep it. Then it was guilt-free pleasure from there!

* Julie *
Diva
* Julie *
In response to ScrapperSara22

• ScrapperSara22 Said:
  • * Julie * Said:

Ditto that. Thanks a ton! I was kind of assuming that, but never saw it in black and white. I'm pretty sure I know exactly which company you're talking about, Julie. I always end up throwing it away. I think it's such a horrible gimmick. I already pay for two of their magazine subscriptions. I don't need some crappy fonts cd or the same recycled card kit.

We are talking about the exact same company! I've canceled both mags, too, and I no longer get all the junk.

Kitty_wOlf
Guru
Kitty_wOlf
In response to * Julie *

i was thinking....how there's nearly no chance that a store here could have that mistake.... it's so isreali.... and there's like a work to discrabe how you would be a sucker for returning....

Anonymous 
  • Anonymous on 12-21-08 01:15 PM

• scrapnread Said:

I was just sitting here reading this thread thinking almost the exact same thing. Two weeks ago I went to buy some of the BG paper pads that were on sale at Michaels. I also bought ane SEI Christmas paper pad as well. I had, in my mind, 4 paper pads in total. That's what I paid for. When I got home I realized I had 6. Two extra BG paper pads were bundled together with the one BG pad. Sorry, I got in my car and took them back with the receipt. I went to the customer service counter and talked to the manager. They were amazed that I would even drive back and do that.

Long story short: I ended up being able to pick up two packs of Bazzill cardstock because I took them back. And I walked out feeling pretty good about myself.

I've done the same thing at Walgreens and Walmart. And each time that I've gone back to say something, I've received something in return. I don't look for getting something back. I just look at it as not wanting to feel guilty and I would feel guilty.

But everyone is different and I certainly don't condemn anyone for keeping anything either. I don't live that far from any of these stores but some people don't live close to them either.

cindy312
Diva
cindy312
In response to GrandmaMichelf

I must be the only person who's never had something like this happen.... at least not that I'm aware of.

Cindy

miniscraper
Idol
miniscraper
In response to cindy312

I didn't set out to scam them.besides Are you saying if this had happened to you you'd go back?

Keys
Keys 
Diva
Keys
  • Keys on 12-21-08 08:01 PM

• miniscraper Said:
I didn't set out to scam them.besides Are you saying if this had happened to you you'd go back?

I would go back and I have gone back. It was only a $1 item in my case. It doesn't matter if you set out to do it or it happens as an accident.

It doesn't matter if someone purposely rear ends your car or they rear end it by accident, you still expect them to do the right thing by you. Same thing.

scrapnread
Guru
scrapnread

• miniscraper Said:

Absolutely. I have and I will. And I live more than an hour from the nearest store. I would rather set a good example than have to explain why I am exempt from honest behavior.

scrapbookbuzz
Diva
scrapbookbuzz
In response to * Julie *

It's one thing to NOT know you're getting extra and discovering it AFTER it's too late to take it back.

But if you KNOW you're wrong...well, that's just being dishonest.

Kitty_wOlf
Guru
Kitty_wOlf
In response to Keys

on the other hand- if you park you car in such a way the blocks- and that's why it happens...

if they do a miastake- and I have to go out of my way- time and money- then it's not my fualt. when it happen vie mail- i called in- and since it's not wroth the shipping ( which I pay a-lot! for)- they telly me to keep it.

but why do i have to spend my time and my money and gas to fix their probalem? (I'm not refering to very expensive things....)

Meak72
Meak72 
Mayor
Meak72

• miniscraper Said:

Um, yes, you did. See your original post below.

• miniscraper Said:
I felt so bad...

kiwiholly
Expert
kiwiholly
In response to Meak72

I think it's obvious that the honest thing to have done would have been to have brought it to the attention of the shop assistant.

I'm kind of surprised that it took so long for people to stand up and say that it's dishonest to "sneak" away with products you KNOW ought not to be packaged together.

Keys
Keys 
Diva
Keys
  • Keys on 12-22-08 04:04 AM
In response to Kitty_wOlf

• Kitty_wOlf Said:

but why do i have to spend my time and my money and gas to fix their probalem? (I'm not refering to very expensive things....)

It is now your problem because you now have something in your possession that is not yours that you took without paying for from a store.

Price is irrelevant. Good character has no price tag.

People need to get over the jealous "I deserve it mentality" when dealing with companies and such. You didn't win the lottery. The supply fairy did not heap blessings upon your head. It is the every day nickel and dimeing of the places like this that make the prices go up. It is what makes the little Mom and Pop businesses (like scrapbook store s) go out of business.

Have the character to at least call the store and tell them what happened. Let them tell you what to do since it is THEIR goods. In most cases they probably will tell you to keep it but this also allows them to mark their books properly and to FIX the problem.

lilmrmaid
Angel
lilmrmaid
In response to Keys

I placed an order online a long long time ago and when I got my order, there were 6 of the one item that I ordered, I emailed them and they said to just keep them, that it was their mistake and it would cost me a lot to send them back when it wasn't my fault. It was nice of them. BUT I did tell them.
Products Referenced in This Post:

Anonymous 
  • Anonymous on 12-22-08 07:17 AM

• Kitty_wOlf Said:
on the other hand- if you park you car in such a way the blocks- and that's why it happens...

if they do a miastake- and I have to go out of my way- time and money- then it's not my fualt. when it happen vie mail- i called in- and since it's not wroth the shipping ( which I pay a-lot! for)- they telly me to keep it.

Just because you park your car the wrong way (where it blocks two parking spaces instead of just one), anyone with good sense wouldn't park next to your car. And if that person hits your car, it's still their fault no matter that you parked cattywonkers. It's called "reasonable care".

I just disagree with all this "getting something for nothing". To me it's the same as stealing. That's why I take things back if there's a mistake on my part or the store's part. It's a chance to rectify the mistake. And something good always comes out of rectifying these kinds of mistakes.

Anonymous 
  • Anonymous on 12-22-08 10:57 AM
In response to Meak72

• Meak72 Said:
  • miniscraper Said:

Um, yes, you did. See your original post below.

• miniscraper Said:
I felt so bad...

I have to agree here...and it's things like this that cause prices to increase for other shoppers, too.

Mimmy96
Veteran
Mimmy96
In response to KatieJo

When this happened to me at michaels, I did call the manager when I got home and realized it... They couldn't stop thanking me...

Mulan05
Expert
Mulan05
In response to Mimmy96

If I notice it I take it back or try to anyway. I've been given extra change at a store, and did not notice until I got home. I took it back the next day (was like $10) and the cashier was never so happy to have it back. They gave me a coupon for the next time I shopped there

I think most places are likely to reward honesty. But that's just me.

Croppin4Christ
Guru
Croppin4Christ
In response to Mulan05

Once I bought some items and didn't pay attention when I paid for them. When I got home I went over my receipt, as I always do. I was undercharged about $10. The next time I went to the store I took a list of the items I purchased with the receipt and showed the owner (LSS). She was surprised!!! I felt good about doing that!

I feel that stealing is wrong no matter how it happens.

JoJorenee
Queen
JoJorenee
In response to gmanscrap

• gmanscrap Said:
I know this sounds TERRIBLE, but....I can't tell you how many "bags" of grocery items I've left behind: tp, even meat that is "bad" when I've opened it out of the package. I live in the country, so.....I'm not "hiking a trip" back to the store to complain or "repack" my items once I've gotten home. I figure if this happens....not your fault or choice. These things have never happened to me, but then again, I rarely "shop" at the store (mainly online). Maybe I should store shop more often....would increase my odds! LOL!

At least once a week I go into the store after picking up my ds and forget what I purchased. I call the store and they say hey you didn't even bag it either!

kiwiholly
Expert
kiwiholly
In response to Croppin4Christ

• Croppin4Christ Said:
Once I bought some items and didn't pay attention when I paid for them. When I got home I went over my receipt, as I always do. I was undercharged about $10. The next time I went to the store I took a list of the items I purchased with the receipt and showed the owner (LSS). She was surprised!!! I felt good about doing that!

I feel that stealing is wrong no matter how it happens.

IMO, THAT'S the sad thing, people being surprised when others manage to do the right thing and conduct themselves in an honest manner!

Luvmyfam
Governor
Luvmyfam

If I see a mistake taking place, I will tell the checker. If I pick up a pack of items that I think should be charged separately, then I will ask about them before being rung up. However, if I don't see the error until I'm already home (I live far from most everything), then I let it go, unless it's a huge mistake. That goes either way, whether it's in my favor or theirs. I do a lot of online ordering for things, and I always call when a mistake has been made. Every time I was told to keep the item as shipping it back would be expensive for them, and bad customer service for me.

* Julie *
Diva
* Julie *
In response to Luvmyfam

Oh ... another that causes me guilt are those free address stickers that come in the mail from various non-profits asking for donations. I already donate to some of the organizations, but I really can't donate to all of them. So I feel bad using the stickers, believing some poor kid with cancer created the smiley face in hopes I'd donate, yet the eco-friendly part of me can't toss them either, knowing the paper and manpower used to create the stickers were all wasted if I do toss them. Yet, they are so handy when paying the bills ...

Ugh. The guilt that comes with those things is HUGE.

elleemae
Tenant
elleemae
In response to * Julie *

I think that if a store gives you something that you know you didn't pay for, then you should contact them. More often than not they will tell you to keep it if it would cost more to ship it back than for them to eat the cost of the mistake.

I had a pkg of magnetic refrigerator frames that I bought and the clerk was having a hard time ringing it up. I didn't think too much about it because this it happens all the time. I got it home and put it away. Months later I went to use them and when I openened the package, I realized that it should have been opened and separated. I felt horrible about it. I'd thrown out the receipt. I called the store and tried to explain the problem to them and they were clueless. When I went there the next time, I went to that area to make sure that the items had been put out properly and they were.

I felt horrible about the whole thing.

Needless to say, I had a company send me 6 Xyron cartridges and a bunch of other stuff instead of the $20 order that I placed. I called them to correct the error.

I just can't fathom feeling *okay with it* when these things happen *if you haven't tried to correct the error*.

It's not karma, it's not a gift...it's someone else's mistake and you don't know that in the long run they won't get into trouble and potentially lose their job because of it.

Dancing Queen
Idol
Dancing Queen
In response to * Julie *

• * Julie * Said:
Oh ... another that causes me guilt are those free address stickers that come in the mail from various non-profits asking for donations. I already donate to some of the organizations, but I really can't donate to all of them. So I feel bad using the stickers, believing some poor kid with cancer created the smiley face in hopes I'd donate, yet the eco-friendly part of me can't toss them either, knowing the paper and manpower used to create the stickers were all wasted if I do toss them. Yet, they are so handy when paying the bills ...

Ugh. The guilt that comes with those things is HUGE.

You can't donate to them all...

I haven't had this happen to me, I'm TERRIBLE at checking my receipt or paying attention to things - so maybe it has happened. I'm sure I've been "ripped off" WAY more than I've gotten "deals", lol.

Phoebe Kates
Expert
Phoebe Kates
In response to Dancing Queen

Ugh....

I'm really disgusted by the "its their mistake and my gain" attitudes. And the excuse of, "I don't live close by."

You can completely rectify the situation by calling the store. Credit or debit cards can be taken over the phone to pay for the merchandise. Or if you cannot afford to keep them, ask to speak to a manager. Depending on the store and its corporate policies you may be allowed to keep it (and their inventory gets adjusted correctly) or you may be asked to return it on your next visit.

Its a matter of integrity and honesty.

scrapnread
Guru
scrapnread
In response to Phoebe Kates

• Phoebe Kates Said:
Ugh....

I'm really disgusted by the "its their mistake and my gain" attitudes. And the excuse of, "I don't live close by."

You can completely rectify the situation by calling the store. Credit or debit cards can be taken over the phone to pay for the merchandise. Or if you cannot afford to keep them, ask to speak to a manager. Depending on the store and its corporate policies you may be allowed to keep it (and their inventory gets adjusted correctly) or you may be asked to return it on your next visit.

Its a matter of integrity and honesty.

Exactly.

MomWolf
Idol
MomWolf

• Kitty_wOlf Said:
  • scrapnread Said:

\

well- as a General role- i would return. and as it's been- sometimes i get things insted of what i orderd- and they send me the other stuff- and told me to keep the stuff that i did'nt order.

if i know that there's a mistake- i will point it out- but if I I'm home- then no- I don't have to make a special trip back because THEY MADE A MISTAKE.

I would take the extras back to the store, with my receipt to show I only paid for one but actually had 2 (or more) extras.

Maybe it's because of the Threefold Law my beliefs teach, or the thought of good karma by returning the items.

I would equal keeping the items to stealing (you know you didn't pay for them, yet you kept them anyways).

coffeenow
Expert
coffeenow

I know just what you are talking about.... I stock that stack every week. I can't imagine the clerk not catching it when they were stocking let alone the cashier but then again the cashier might not have any idea about the paper stacks. I do know that the smaller packs are easy to do that with because they are glued together at the binding and we have to separate them....But lucky you!!!!

scrapnread
Guru
scrapnread
In response to coffeenow

• coffeenow Said:
I know just what you are talking about.... I stock that stack every week. I can't imagine the clerk not catching it when they were stocking let alone the cashier but then again the cashier might not have any idea about the paper stacks. I do know that the smaller packs are easy to do that with because they are glued together at the binding and we have to separate them....But lucky you!!!!

Or more appropriately "dishonest you".

Yuyis
Yuyis 
Idol
Yuyis
  • Yuyis on 12-29-08 07:32 PM

This definitely has mixed opinions; yes it may seem 'lucky' but IMO I'd not keep it.

I had something similar happen to me with the Martha S cutting mats @ Ms, DH bought 'one' for me and when he got home I opened the pckg and it had 3 so trying to do the right thing I called the store the next morning (it was a store about 3 hrs from home) and the Mgr understood I could not return it right away so they allowed me to keep the other two mats thanking me for the honesty and adjusting their inventory list accordingly.

I'm not saying that I'm a saint or always do the right thing, but you know what? it does make me feel good knowing that I didn't cheat someone else knowningly.

So I guess it comes to one's values and integrity.

EdnaLegume
Tenant
EdnaLegume
In response to Yuyis

there's a reason you have a guilty conscience... it lets you know right from wrong. and you can't hide from it either.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics