Username Post: Cricut Abandonment        (Topic#1540701)
fatwhippet
Pro
fatwhippet

In a recent thread I was surprised by how many people said they have Cricuts but didn't use them. Now I am curious. How many have Cricuts but don't use them and why.

No, I don't work for PC, just interested.

Katlady
Veteran
Katlady
In response to fatwhippet

I've only used mine a few times. The cuts seem to always look flat. Do I need to do some shading or something on them?

Tigger
Tigger 
Mayor
Tigger
In response to Katlady

I've had one for quite a few years, and can count on one hand how many times I've used it...

Just not into it.

angie girl
Diva
angie girl
In response to Katlady

• Katlady Said:
I've only used mine a few times. The cuts seem to always look flat. Do I need to do some shading or something on them?

I always embellish the cuts in some way or another...inking, distressing, whatever you want. I leave letters as is sometimes.

Penny Lane
Diva
Penny Lane
In response to angie girl

If you worked for PC we'd have to sign an agreement and pay for even answering any questions, then you'd give us a golden charm to prove how special we are so we could be the envy of our friends...

But to answer your question...I still use mine, but BARELY...I am not into the "cricut look" but I like getting to make letters in any size and color I want. I like getting to cut more complicated things like flourishes. But honestly...sometimes I think it's not worth it at all. I HONESTLY feel like it hampers my creativity if I don't back off of it.

meezerpleaser
Diva
meezerpleaser
In response to Katlady

• Katlady Said:

I ink or chalk my cuts -- looks more 3-dimensional to me. Or I cut several of the same cut and stack them up. Or use pop-dots to raise them. That said, I mostly use it for letters and flourishes that I can size. But of course I only got it this year, so we'll see how useful it becomes for Halloween cards, Thanksgiving cards, and Christmas cards!

Edited by meezerpleaser on 08-12-10 12:38 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

lisymarie
Expert
lisymarie
In response to angie girl

I've had my Expression for about 2 years and the only time I've used it is when a friend needed some vinyl letters cut.

foltzy
foltzy 
Governor
foltzy
In response to lisymarie

I use it but not a lot. I have no space for it really. So when I want to use it, I have to bring it from my bedroom and set it up on the kitchen table and use it.

However, we want to eventually move and one of DH requirements for looking for a house is that I need to have my own Office/Craft Room. Then I will use it much more.

jeneppers
Veteran
jeneppers
In response to foltzy

I use mine for fonts and shapes on a regular basis. I'm scared to try other things with layered looks. I have plenty of carts, but am just afraid of having to make all those layers and then trying to figure out how to put them together!! I watched a video someone on here recommended and it helped a little bit, but not enough for me to try it yet!!

Penny Lane
Diva
Penny Lane
In response to jeneppers

• jeneppers Said:
I use mine for fonts and shapes on a regular basis. I'm scared to try other things with layered looks. I have plenty of carts, but am just afraid of having to make all those layers and then trying to figure out how to put them together!! I watched a video someone on here recommended and it helped a little bit, but not enough for me to try it yet!!

Some of those layers get crazy, but once you do a couple it's pretty easy. I made one thing that had SEVEN layers!

melissadam
Angel
melissadam
In response to Penny Lane

Ive had mine for a couple years and didnt use it very much ........just this week i decided it was a waste so I brought it out of my scrap room and into the living room ........while Im sitting here Ive been "playing" with it ......Ive figured out lots of things Ive never attempted before! .......cut out lots of flourishes ......loyered other cuts .......then embellished with ink & stickles .......I can assure you I have turned a corner! I will be using my cricut alot more!!!!

ReginaOklaScrapper
Expert
ReginaOklaScrapper
In response to melissadam

I think I would use my cricut more if I could afford more cartridges. I just don't have that many cartridges right now and the ones I have don't go with the pages I'm working on right now.

StaceyE
Diva
StaceyE
In response to ReginaOklaScrapper

Space is an issue for me as well. I have to make a lot of effort to get it out and set up to use it and I just don't want to bother most of the time.
And a lot of their carts are too cutesy for me...I wish they would make a vintage/shabby chic style cart.

moxiegirl23
Queen
moxiegirl23

• Penny Lane Said:
If you worked for PC we'd have to sign an agreement and pay for even answering any questions, then you'd give us a golden charm to prove how special we are so we could be the envy of our friends...

peenut_23
Angel
peenut_23
In response to moxiegirl23

I had to have one and same thing, can count on one hand how many times I've used it ... kind of a waste of money.

I think mostly I don't like the flat look - it's a pain to ink the edges and glue down the small letters (I have one of the cartridges that has an italicized font, Jasmine).

I really don't like the look of it. I'd prefer to use Thickers or something else.

That said, if I actually got SCAL, I might use it a LOT more!

melissadam
Angel
melissadam
In response to StaceyE

• StaceyE Said:
Space is an issue for me as well. I have to make a lot of effort to get it out and set up to use it and I just don't want to bother most of the time.
And a lot of their carts are too cutesy for me...I wish they would make a vintage/shabby chic style cart.

I believe the heritage cart is more vintage .....commaholly just bought it and was raving about it

debby_westbrook
Queen
debby_westbrook

I use my cricut expression on almost every lo. I only have 15 cartridges but so much variety.

cdjohnson
Queen
cdjohnson
In response to debby_westbrook

I use my cricut a LOT and got mine last November. I LOVE the calligraphy cartridge and do most of my titles with it. I only own 8 cartridges but found out that I can get some really GREAT prices on evil bay for most cartridges brand new in the package and WAY less than the stores. One more thing is that I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it for birthday cards!

leslief
Idol
leslief

I use mine A LOT for my journaling. The "Fabulous Finds" cartridge makes all different style tags that make it really easy for me. I don't use it as much as I thought I would, but enough that I'm happy I purchased it. Of course I'm STILL buying letters and punches-- even though the cricut has MORE than enough to choose from!

Penny Lane
Diva
Penny Lane
In response to leslief

• leslief Said:
I use mine A LOT for my journaling. The "Fabulous Finds" cartridge makes all different style tags that make it really easy for me. I don't use it as much as I thought I would, but enough that I'm happy I purchased it. Of course I'm STILL buying letters and punches-- even though the cricut has MORE than enough to choose from!

Sometimes cricut letters just look flat to me. I buy thickers and other letters all the time. Even if I layer the cricut letters they still seem...cricut-y...

scrapalooza
Diva
scrapalooza

omg, I use mine everyday. lol! I can't imagine not using it.

Luvmyfam
Governor
Luvmyfam
In response to scrapalooza

I have one, but rarely use it. Not by choice, though. I have no space. No space to store it, no space to use it. It's a major production just to haul it out. A long time ago I had space for it, and used it everyday. I need to fix this problem!!

kelsey kay 2012
Veteran
kelsey kay 2012
In response to Luvmyfam

i got one as a gift which was nice because i do not get my money's worth. i bought one cart on sale for $22 and my other seven were gifts...

i prefer thickers or other sticker letters cause its soooo much easier even though with the cricut you can get just the right amount, with the right size and color... i have a texture problem with letters. plus i hate getting out my little glue pen to put the down...

the worst part about the cricut is that when i make die cuts, they are in one color and don't have anything unique to them. i don't have the time, patience or creativity to decorate every die cut on my own....

godschild94
Governor
godschild94

I am really loving my Cricut, especially since I had to teach a class on it at work. I wrote the class handout and it forced me to play with cutting lots of different materials such as grungeboard, stencil material, fun foam, and even adhesive sheets. Since I started playing with all of this I have really found a ton of uses for my bug and are using my cricut to create fabulous pages.

On this layout I used adhesive sheets from Therm-O-Web and the Doodlecharms cartridge to create the glittered dragonflies.
Springtime Blooms By Godschild94

On this layout I used the Storybook cartridge and cut grungeboard with my cricut to make my title letters.
Upside Down By Godschild94

fatwhippet
Pro
fatwhippet
In response to godschild94

Interesting. I kind of know what you mean by "cricut look". I tend to mutate the designs and fonts with the Gypsy. I like mine very much. I use it to cut chipboard then cut paper to cover the chipboard. Also use it to make freezer paper stencils to do shirts, etc. Saves tons of time.

LeeLo
LeeLo 
Diva
LeeLo
  • LeeLo on 08-12-10 07:40 PM
In response to godschild94

I love my Cricut! I don't use it tons, but I haven't been scrapping tons lately. I do use it almost every time I scrap. I've layered stuff and had great results. The last LO I did I made flowers by layering them and using pop dots to raise them up a bit. It turned out great!

Seaexplore
Governor
Seaexplore

I had one given to me about 3 weeks ago by a friend, she upgraded. I LOVE IT! I've bought a few carts but LOVE LOVE LOVE SCAL and think I'll get more use out of that than the carts. I really like the carts for quick cut outs but SCAL rocks it for titles. I used it the other day to make signs for my classroom. I have a friend who made a bikini card svg for me and I used it to make 20 bachelorette party invites! I would have been cutting for almost 5 hours and my bug did it in under 30 for all the cuts! Now, if only it would assemble them for me!

fatwhippet
Pro
fatwhippet
In response to LeeLo

LeeLo, that is the cutest dog! I can't stand it every time I see your posts, so cute!

fatwhippet
Pro
fatwhippet
In response to Seaexplore

• seaexplore Said:
I had one given to me about 3 weeks ago by a friend, she upgraded. I LOVE IT! I've bought a few carts but LOVE LOVE LOVE SCAL and think I'll get more use out of that than the carts. I really like the carts for quick cut outs but SCAL rocks it for titles. I used it the other day to make signs for my classroom. I have a friend who made a bikini card svg for me and I used it to make 20 bachelorette party invites! I would have been cutting for almost 5 hours and my bug did it in under 30 for all the cuts! Now, if only it would assemble them for me!

Haven't you heard? Provo is going to release a new machine next year called "Imagine That"! It will assemble both cards and layouts...

LeeLo
LeeLo 
Diva
LeeLo
  • LeeLo on 08-12-10 07:50 PM

Thanks! She is rotten, but I love her to death!

kelsey kay 2012
Veteran
kelsey kay 2012
In response to LeeLo

i heard the imagine is $599.... No way am I paying taht kind of money!!!

I think i may look in the to Sillhouette SD

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly

• melissadam Said:
  • StaceyE Said:

I believe the heritage cart is more vintage .....commaholly just bought it and was raving about it

Lovvvvvvvvvvvve Heritage! I had two reasons for not using mine for quite some time,,,

1) I wasn't in love with a lot of the carts

and

2) I didn't realize how MUCH the carts could do!

I bought Paper doll dress up and started having a BALL with all the special features,,,,,which sent me to my OTHER carts to see what special features they have,,,,,and then I bought Heritage and fell in love! The only thing Heritage does NOT have that I'd LIKE IT to have, is an old fashioned dress form,,,,oh, and a bird cage Love the hat, love the gates, love it all!

I didn't realize Story book has SHAPES,,,,like squares and circles and scallopped circles! Now i use that and Heritage almost non-stop for something! And that's after not barely touching it for over a year!

Scrapkaty
Mayor
Scrapkaty
In response to CommaHolly

I love my cricut! I don't use in on every layout I do, but on the ones I do, they look great with the letters or the embellies....saves me a bit of money from buying letter stickers...although I do seem to have Thickers in every color and font... now that's a different story and another addiction!

HisGEM
HisGEM 
Diva
HisGEM
In response to Scrapkaty

I use my cricuts every time I can....and I dare say...I am reconsidering my thoughts on the Imagine...I still think it costs too much, but I am going to get one (when the price drops or I can use a coupon on a .com)....what I could do with it LOL

Peg364
Peg364 
Idol
Peg364

Oh my goodness - I use mine ALL the time - I use it for letters, shapes, tags, flourishes - everything - Even for projects that I do with my volunteer work! I can't believe that so many people do not use theirs. I wish I had the expression and had the $ to have more Carts. I have 4 right now, and like I said I use them all the time.

scrapalooza
Diva
scrapalooza
In response to HisGEM

The imagine will be debuted on hsn sept. 14th, I may get one then so I can get flexpay.

HisGEM
HisGEM 
Diva
HisGEM
In response to scrapalooza

Hmmmmm...they may offer 5 flex pays so roughly $124 to bring home? Maybe they are going to offer a great bundle...

flutterbye0419
Diva
flutterbye0419

i have mine. it's a create. i use it mostly for titles. i will start using it more when i get more carts and a new mat. i need a new mat before i can use it but that is what is keeping me from using it.

danielle224
Tenant
danielle224

I bought my Cricut last year....I think I used it twice! I really don't have the space and don't really know how to use it!! Would be nice if it came out with a written manual!! Also the cart are so expensive!

I recently tried cutting chipboard on it and I even bought the "deep housing and blade" specifically to cut chipboard and not only didn't it cut it but it destroyed the chipboard!! ugghh

Anyone with any ideas of how I CAN cut chipboard with the cricut expression it would be much appreciated... :D

Edited by danielle224 on 08-13-10 07:17 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

kelsey kay 2012
Veteran
kelsey kay 2012
In response to danielle224

look through the resources on this site. they can be very helpful

fatwhippet
Pro
fatwhippet
In response to danielle224

Ah, what does the blue "thumbs down" mean?

wilbur
wilbur 
Expert
wilbur

I haven't learned to use mine well. I have so many alphas & stickers in notebooks that are easy to pull from and take to a crop. Maybe this winter I will crop at home more and learn to use my machine.

wilbur
wilbur 
Expert
wilbur
In response to wilbur

Another reason I don't use it alot is I like letters made from printed paper which is usually text weight which doesn't cut as nice as card stock or heavier paper. I still draw on (using template) and hand cut my thin papers.

bj9268 
Resident
In response to wilbur

I received mine for a Christmas gift last year. I have the Expression and have been using mine for cards with the Wild Card cartridge. I've used it for a couple layouts and titles but not as often as I thought I would. I'm still learning how to use the machine to it's fullest potential.

shae516
Guru
shae516
In response to bj9268

I use mine a lot for lettering and basic shapes, but I don't use it as much as I thought I would. That being said, this entire banner was made with it (please forgive the way the name is hung...I didn't have a choice, but don't like it at all!)

Birthday Banner By Mrsspec

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to shae516

mine came with a writen manual,,,,,,

Seaexplore
Governor
Seaexplore

• fatwhippet Said:
  • seaexplore Said:

Haven't you heard? Provo is going to release a new machine next year called "Imagine That"! It will assemble both cards and layouts...

score!

Gelidy Gelato
Diva
Gelidy Gelato
In response to Luvmyfam

• Luvmyfam Said:
I have one, but rarely use it. Not by choice, though. I have no space. No space to store it, no space to use it. It's a major production just to haul it out. A long time ago I had space for it, and used it everyday. I need to fix this problem!!

I had this exact same problem. It was either use the 1 cartridge I had or lug the whole thing & paper upstairs to use SCAL on the computer. Because I have moved I now will be able to have my cricut connected to a computer and be set up in my scrapping area.

Penny Lane
Diva
Penny Lane

• fatwhippet Said:
  • seaexplore Said:

Oh good! I was waiting for them to completely remove all raw creativity out of scrapping! LMFAO!

Gelidy Gelato
Diva
Gelidy Gelato

• Penny Lane Said:
  • fatwhippet Said:
  • seaexplore Said:

Oh good! I was waiting for them to completely remove all raw creativity out of scrapping! LMFAO!

Hey in some case removing that raw creativity could be considered a good thing! Hate to admit it but I have made a few "raw creativity" disasters myself. Thank the stars for UnDo.

weekend scrapper
Pro
weekend scrapper
In response to Gelidy Gelato

i used to use mine more, but I find it takes time to set up/print and punch out all the letters. I can get so much else done in that amount of time using stickers, chipboard or my computer.

I also don't like to repeat the fonts/shapes over and over again in LOs, but cartridges are expensive so I don't buy new ones.

dotfree
Guru
dotfree
In response to LeeLo

I scrap in spurts, so I use my Cricut in spurts. I have owned the Original for about four years and rarely used it until a year ago. In Feb. I bought the Expression and now I use both of them all the time.

flagirlof4
Guru
flagirlof4

I originally got my cricut to cut letters and yes I use mine a lot. This past Christmas my husband got me the Expression. I use it when I need more of 1 item.

creater1
Diva
creater1
In response to flagirlof4

OMG I could not imagine not having my Cricut. I love it and I do use it alot. I think so far out of all the electronic cutting machines it is the one that is the most user friendly, best customer support and most sturdy.
Comparitively speaking I think the Robo?, Wishblade and Silhouette offer the feature to cut your own fonts from your computer with the exception of Silhoutette but the mechanics of the Cricut out weigh the others.
I would love to see PC come out with cartridges that are more adult themed and less animated. Although I have to say I do love and own a good majority of their cartridges.
I only buy them when they are a steal, look around you will find lots of under 25 dollar cartridges and when you see what all comes on a cartridge you will find that most of the time it is well worth it. I hate looking for clip art on the computer and then looking for other items to match the style of art. JMO for those of you that understand the vectorizing etc I envy you as I don't get it and therefore my Pazzles Inspiration sits unloved.

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to creater1

I agree Creator,,,,I'd LOVE to see some more adult themed carts,,,my two favs are Storybook and Heritage,,,,,would love to see some more on those same lines! Another Heritage/Victorian cart would be awesome!

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly

Hum, Paper doll dress up is ALSO a fav, although i'd hardly call that "adult themed"

momofaym
Veteran
momofaym
In response to foltzy

I'm with Liz, mine is in the original box, when I want to use it I have to take it out, put it on the table, it just seems so time consuming. If I want letters I'll use rub-ons or stickers. I've used mine probably 15 times in the YEARS I've had it... just too much to take out and set up.

Expert

The other thing that amazes me is hearing about people who have had a machine (Cricut, Sil, Wishblade, etc.) and after several months have finally gotten around to getting it out of the box and setting it up for the first time-----what?! When I ordered my Sil last year I was tracking it every minute of the day waiting for it to arrive so I could play! The only waiting I could handle was the 5 minutes it took for me to finish washing the dishes after hearing the UPS guy put it on the stoop...only because I figured I should probably not leave a sinkful of dishes...

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to HuskerMom98

you're better than I am, Husker I left the dang dishes!!!!!

Seaexplore
Governor
Seaexplore

I left mine in a box for a week because I was scared to even take it out and set it up. Oh, and I didn't have any carts- had to wait for the one I got on evil bay to show up so I could play. I was a BIT intimidated but the learning curve is quick and LOVE LOVE LOVE it!

Now to find a home in my scrappy room where I can keep it set up all the time rather than take it out and put it in the living room to use for 2 weeks and then when the house keeper comes, put it back on my desk only to pull it out later that night and use it again.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics