Page 1 of 3 
Username Post: Can of Worms Question...blog pimping        (Topic#1543179)
Just G
Just G 
Queen
Just G

Not trying to offend anyone....but I keep coming across what appear to be interesting forum topics only to see an advertisement or a link to someones blog. I can't comment on the stuff and refuse to sign up for all the emails it requires.

Why not just post what you have to say here? You opened an account to be part of THIS forum.

What are the advantages to leading people to your blog instead of making friends here?

So my question to the general population is: if you come across a blog link do you go join or do you just ignore?

Edited by Just G on 09-20-10 12:53 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to Just G

It seems to be a new epidemic!
It irritates me. I do NOT click on the links.

I'm starting to avoid the general forum, because so many threads are "come look at my blog." No -thank you!

CorrieW
Guru
CorrieW
In response to Bxr-Linda

A lot of the advertising is spam, and I don't mind if someone who has been a long time member starts a blog and asks us to look at it, but I don't like when people join for that reason and don't contribute to the site. the advertising is against the rules but I am not sure about the blogs

Just G
Just G 
Queen
Just G
In response to CorrieW

whew. i thought i was gonna get my ******** chewed for this question. glad i'm not the only one.

i'm not picking on the bloggers but have respect for a site that is a 'community' and participate.

lstory 
Mayor
In response to Bxr-Linda

Pretty much never go. In the gallery I often see descriptions that say, "Details on my blog." If I'm super-duper interested (which is rare to never), I'll make the effort to cut-and-paste the address, but sometimes the blog doesn't have any real details, either. Then it's just annoying.

In the card-making world everybody has to have a blog in order to link their cards to challenges and contests. And I suppose if you want to be on somebody's design team you have to have a blog to get additional eyes on your creations.

Lisa

sunrenay
Guru
sunrenay
In response to Bxr-Linda

I only visit blogs if a friend tells me to go check them out. I always intend to follow blogs or even start my own but I never get around to it. If the only content of the post is a link, I rarely follow it.

scrappercaz
Governor
scrappercaz
In response to sunrenay

I have no interest in blogs generally and I agree, asking people to keep going to yours for whatever reason, isn't good IMO. I always think it's a shame when people use places like this site just to further their own interest rather than becoming friends with people here when traffic would probably naturally.

Doreena
Governor
Doreena
In response to sunrenay

• sunrenay Said:
I only visit blogs if a friend tells me to go check them out. I always intend to follow blogs or even start my own but I never get around to it. If the only content of the post is a link, I rarely follow it.

ditto... to be honest, i don't even understand how to follow a blog...LOL!

Just G
Just G 
Queen
Just G
In response to Doreena

most of them are very cluttered with advertisements

Nancy Keslin
Queen
Nancy Keslin
In response to Doreena

I have a blog, I follow quite a few blogs. I use my blog to talk more about what is going on in my life, on top of my scrapping. I also have done product reviews, tips, and tutorials. I don't really have a place here to go into detail on how to do a specific technique. I also use my blog to give away prizes and for dt work.

scrappercaz
Governor
scrappercaz
In response to Nancy Keslin

But Nancy, I would view that differently because you are part of the community here, you join in other discussions etc and aren't here just to promote your blog.

debby_westbrook
Queen
debby_westbrook
In response to scrappercaz

I got tired of going to most of the blogs. They want you to comment and become a follower. I wouldn't mind, but most of the blogs wont let me comment.

dotfree
Guru
dotfree

I have a couple of blogs:one for scrapbooking and the other for travel. I only mention them on this site if there is something that will be helpful to a person asking an opinion. For example a listing of people with a Cricut or Gypsy whose blogs I follow.

disneylisa
Mayor
disneylisa

I'm OK with people who participate here posting lets say a photo or 2 in the project gallery and then saying "details on my blog" if the blog has a tutorial or more photos of the project, etc. and similarly I'm OK with people posting a layout and then "details on my blog" if in fact they have more details on their blog, such as using it as a daily journal with photos. Although I don't blog and do 90% of my posting here, I do belong to 3 forums. I understand people who blog may be members of multiple forums and rather then post details 3 places they refer to their blog. I'm OK with that.

I do not like people who post merely "see my blog for more details" and then it goes to a page where its the exact photo and they want to SELL you the tutorial or the jewelry, etc. I'm not against the selling per se if they would just say "To buy the "x" see my blog." It probably is inappropriate of them to advertise like that but thats an issue for the site, not me personally to determine.

hotroding scrapbooker
Diva
hotroding scrapbooker
In response to disneylisa

I ignore them. I'm not a blogger.

scrappymomof4
Veteran
scrappymomof4
In response to disneylisa

My blog is attached to my Signature. I haven't written on it in awhile, but when my book came out last year I did link my blog for book giveaways. I don't ever ask anyone to follow my blog, but hey are welcome to if they want. I only link through to others if I really want to see what they say. No big deal for me to see them on here. I either ignore them or not. Up to me.

scrap4brains
Queen
scrap4brains
In response to scrappymomof4

I don't usually link to blogs, they are just not that interesting to me unless it contains a new technique. I only follow one because she does post new techniques all the time. Even then it is not attached to my email. I don't blog myself, there is not that much to tell.

akentuckygal
Diva
akentuckygal

If someone wants a blog I am happy for them. I do not have one nor do I want one. If I went to blogs, I would get nothing done all day. If a layout says "details at my blog", I am not going there unless its a tutorial that I am interested in which is also rare.

Edited by akentuckygal on 09-20-10 12:21 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

lstory 
Mayor

• scrappymomof4 Said:
My blog is attached to my Signature. I haven't written on it in awhile, but when my book came out last year I did link my blog for book giveaways. I don't ever ask anyone to follow my blog, but hey are welcome to if they want. I only link through to others if I really want to see what they say. No big deal for me to see them on here. I either ignore them or not. Up to me.

Your way is the way that seems most reasonable to me. If someone consistently posts interesting/informative comments and participates on the boards in an organic fashion, and if that person has a blog link in their signature, I might be inclined to click through.

It's the "Hi, look at me! Check out my blog!" type of comments that grate.

Lisa

Just G
Just G 
Queen
Just G

• scrappercaz Said:
But Nancy, I would view that differently because you are part of the community here, you join in other discussions etc and aren't here just to promote your blog.

Exactly.

Just G
Just G 
Queen
Just G
In response to scrap4brains

• scrap4brains Said:
I don't usually link to blogs, they are just not that interesting to me unless it contains a new technique.

Yes. If i see a LO here and want to know a technique (which i do for some) I will visit. But I hate the lead on forum posts where you think there will be a discussion and there's one line of 'come visit my blog' where the story actually is.

Just G
Just G 
Queen
Just G
In response to lstory

• lstory Said:
  • scrappymomof4 Said:

It's the "Hi, look at me! Check out my blog!" type of comments that grate.

Lisa

exactly. There's one person who i noticed does this a few times a week and it grates my nerve.

Just G
Just G 
Queen
Just G
In response to Just G

So would it be rude to call someone out on it?

scrappercaz
Governor
scrappercaz
In response to Just G

Penny Lane
Diva
Penny Lane

• homesclscrapper Said:
I have a blog, I follow quite a few blogs. I use my blog to talk more about what is going on in my life, on top of my scrapping. I also have done product reviews, tips, and tutorials. I don't really have a place here to go into detail on how to do a specific technique. I also use my blog to give away prizes and for dt work.

Yeah, I have a family blog that I post pics and news on because my husband's family is on Ma. It's easier than making 1000 phone calls or sending 1000 photos. But I NEVER pimp it out because it's not that kind of blog, it's just a private family thing.

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to Just G

• Just G Said:

I have to say, yes that may be rude.

Penny Lane
Diva
Penny Lane
In response to Penny Lane

I used to have a scrappy blog. I deleted it once I found this website. There was no need IMO for it any longer.

I'm not such an innovative scrapper that I can cultivate a huge following. LOL!

My old blog was mostly so I had an online place to post my layouts...but TA-DA! I found this place and it's PERFECT. I can share, chat and obsess over scrapping in one centralized place.

The only thing I miss about my blog was the name I came up with; Paved With Paper

I LOVED THAT! lol

siameseplease
Angel
siameseplease

I only have a problem with it when it's the only reason that they joined this site. Many members here have blogs. I don't even mind if they pimp their blog, as long as they are people who also post here, share here, and make themselves known here on forum posts and such.

I get very irritated with those who seem to have joined this site simply to promote a blog. I never visit those blogs.

akentuckygal
Diva
akentuckygal
In response to Bxr-Linda

• Bxr-Linda Said:
  • Just G Said:

I have to say, yes that may be rude.

I don't think it would be rude at all provided you were just giving your opinions.

siameseplease
Angel
siameseplease
In response to siameseplease

BTW, I have a blog. Go check it out. Link in my siggie!

LMBO...just kidding. I'm being facetious now, because I'm in that kind of mood.

MommaSaid
Mayor
MommaSaid

I believe I'm grateful that this topic was brought up. Late last Spring, I started my own blog. Primarily, it was because there's always some sort of story that goes into the making of LO X,Y or Z. There's never enough space for me journal the whole story. Secondary, I really missed my old blogging days; where I wrote reflective pieces with a point; thought I'd try that again. Occasionally, some of my friends read and enjoy my blog now.

What's been said already makes loads of sense and is really appreciated by this new(ish) blogging newbie. Since I don't actually have any ground-breaking techniques for tutorials...and I know I like my up-close pics; but they're not everyone's cup of tea... This is good thought to ponder.

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to MommaSaid

I think I'm on the same page with Glenda on this one... (correct me, if I'm wrong)

So many threads get misunderstood and end up off on a tangent... I think this one may be in danger of that.

I don't think the issue is WITH anyone's blog or linking a layout in the gallery to your blog. The comment was about multiple threads in the forum "Look at my blog" "look at my blog" "check my blog to win this-or-that"

THAT gets annoying to me.

RhondaR
Diva
RhondaR

I VERY rarely will click on a blog link...and I'm pretty sure I know who it is who posts the links Just G was talking about....I'm sure most of us do. I may not post on the forums often but I am here a LOT lol

Lily Lou
Tenant
Lily Lou
In response to lstory

I agree that having someone ask you to "check out my blog" can be very irritating, especially when you take the time to do it and it wasn't worth going there. I find that most blogs are a waste of time, but I have run across some that are very interesting. I do enjoy the forums, though.

KellyCali
Governor
KellyCali
In response to MommaSaid

I've said it before & I'll say it again.

I think part of this problem could be solved, if only we had some sort of Blog Corner.

Otherwise, sadly some people are just going to continue mucking up the General Scrapbooking Board with their frequent blog links (which are many times more than often really just for personal sales, challenges & promotions for other sites!)

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to KellyCali

deja vu

Isn't this the "posting in the wrong gallery" question/problem all over again???

candy.queen
Expert
candy.queen
In response to Just G

I dont follow blogs, they're all in so many different formats I just find them confusing to read!

I once thought about trying to blog but it felt like I was talking to myself and I felt silly so I deleted it!

Babys Got Blue Eyes
Governor
Babys Got Blue Eyes
In response to Lily Lou

I get bugged when I see the same person, every week pimping their blog. It's just dumb to me.

akentuckygal
Diva
akentuckygal
In response to KellyCali

This may be a little off the subject but yet along the same lines. In a layout description I am glad people put where they got homemade items such as someone's etsy (I have done it myself). I am also glad when they post they have a tutorial on a flower or something. What I get angry about is when I have to go to the blog to find anything out about the layout.

What irks me the worst is posting here in the forum their advertisement for their blog or etsy.

I think we know who your talking about Glenda.

akentuckygal
Diva
akentuckygal
In response to akentuckygal

I am cracking up now "they are just pimpin", ha

Penny Lane
Diva
Penny Lane

I'll just throw this out there...see if I get smacked down...

I don't care if people have a blog...but unless you have something really innovative, really amazing and really unique you shouldn't be pushing your blog on a bunch of scrappers who have been there, done that.

*ducks*

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda

• akentuckygal Said:
This may be a little off the subject but yet along the same lines. In a layout description I am glad people put where they got homemade items such as someone's etsy (I have done it myself). I am also glad when they post they have a tutorial on a flower or something. What I get angry about is when I have to go to the blog to find anything out about the layout.

What irks me the worst is posting here in the forum their advertisement for their blog or etsy.

I think we know who your talking about Glenda.

THAT is actually against the forum rules.

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda

• Penny Lane Said:

I don't care if people have a blog...but unless you have something really innovative, really amazing and really unique you shouldn't be pushing your blog on a bunch of scrappers who have been there, done that.

*ducks*

I agree with you, but....

How do you decide what's great or innovative? What I find boring may be new and innovative to you? just sayin'...

Have a blog that details how to use glue sticks, for all I care, just don't post a thread in the forum saying, "go look at my glue stick blog."

meezerpleaser
Diva
meezerpleaser
In response to Just G

I almost never go to blogs. I can't navigate them and find them frustrating, for the most part. I've noticed the trend to "advertise" a blog here, too, and I just ignore it and click somewhere else more interesting.

KellyCali
Governor
KellyCali
In response to meezerpleaser

• Just G Said:
Why not just post what you have to say here? You opened an account to be part of THIS forum.

What are the advantages to leading people to your blog instead of making friends here?

Another way you could sorta look at the blog in question, is to say...

Hi Facebook Friends!

To find out what I'm up this week, be sure to check out my My Space Page!

MommaSaid
Mayor
MommaSaid
In response to Bxr-Linda

• Bxr-Linda Said:
I think I'm on the same page with Glenda on this one... (correct me, if I'm wrong)

So many threads get misunderstood and end up off on a tangent... I think this one may be in danger of that.

I don't think the issue is WITH anyone's blog or linking a layout in the gallery to your blog. The comment was about multiple threads in the forum "Look at my blog" "look at my blog" "check my blog to win this-or-that"

THAT gets annoying to me.

Point taken!

Nancy Keslin
Queen
Nancy Keslin
In response to MommaSaid

I think that sometimes bloggers just want to share give aways and prizes. I know that there are some bloggers I follow who have giveaways every week. Sometimes they are paid by manufacturers, stores, kit clubs, etc. (sometimes in product, sometimes in cash) to "pimp" for them. It is their job. If you don't want to look, don't look. Some people like to win prizes and contests...me!!! And so I click. If you don't like it, don't click.

I also have been known to pimp my own blog by offering prizes...why? because it get's me more followers. I am not eligible to get paid for advertisements on my blogger, but many make money that way. Also, if you have enough followers, enough visits, manufacturers, stores, etc will often provide free products and $$$ to get you to pimp for them. It can be a great way for some families to earn a little extra income, or in the case of someone like Pioneer Woman, millions! (I don't really know how much $$$ she makes, but she has millions of people reading, a book out and a potential movie deal).

JMHO

Penny Lane
Diva
Penny Lane
In response to Bxr-Linda

• Bxr-Linda Said:
  • Penny Lane Said:

*ducks*

I agree with you, but....

How do you decide what's great or innovative? What I find boring may be new and innovative to you? just sayin'...

Have a blog that details how to use glue sticks, for all I care, just don't post a thread in the forum saying, "go look at my glue stick blog."

That's true. There are few blogs that I find inexplicably popular...lol

SheCre8s
Expert
SheCre8s
In response to Just G

nope IF I see your work here and I like it then chances are I will go check out your blog invited or not but if I have nothing to look forward to just your word then no.

moxiegirl23
Queen
moxiegirl23
In response to SheCre8s

y'all need to read my blog.

disclaimer: I've been following this thread today and something someone said really resonated with me to the point where I had to blog. and yes, my tongue is firmly in cheek. Oh, and I am sick of the blog pimping and people wanting customers/readers/etc without wanting to build relationships here first.

http://www.scrapbook.com/blogs/126041/view/169 079.html

scrappercaz
Governor
scrappercaz
In response to SheCre8s

As said above - having a blog isn't a problem, nor is having a link in your siggy - it's promoting it in the guise of starting a discussion such as "Hey, guess what happened to me today" or "I think I've found the answer to a scrapper's dilemma!" so you open it thinking it's a genuine topic of interest but guess what...no! it's someone's blog being pimped...again

byondbzr
Queen
byondbzr
In response to SheCre8s

I find the posts you're talking about off-putting because it is someone that isn't really active here at all and doesn't seem to care. (If I'm thinking of the right person!) I bet it is because DT's require that she spread the word as many places as she can.

On the subject of blogging in general, yes, I do have a blog. I had to start one 2 years ago when I made a DT. I do post tutorials from time to time and if so, I link those into the description under my gallery images. That way is the best way I think. If someone likes it, they can look at it and I'm not screaming out "LOOK AT ME AND TELL ME YOU LOVE ME!"....

I am also active in a few COF's and challenges where I have many good friends here. I will share the link with them , cause I think they may be interested. I've never considered that to be pushy, but maybe I shouldn't do it anymore. Don't want to ruffle feathers here, it's my scrappy home!

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to moxiegirl23

• moxiegirl23 Said:
y'all need to read my blog.

disclaimer: I've been following this thread today and something someone said really resonated with me to the point where I had to blog. and yes, my tongue is firmly in cheek. Oh, and I am sick of the blog pimping and people wanting customers/readers/etc without wanting to build relationships here first.

http://www.scrapbook.com/blogs/126041/view/169 079.html

Liz -I you!!!

lstory 
Mayor
In response to KellyCali

• KellyCali Said:
  • Just G Said:

Another way you could sorta look at the blog in question, is to say...

Hi Facebook Friends!

To find out what I'm up this week, be sure to check out my My Space Page!

I'm always slightly taken aback when people remind me that MySpace is still around.

Lisa

KellyCali
Governor
KellyCali
In response to lstory

Here Ya Go Lisa...Hopefully this makes the point, but sounds a little bit better & or up-to-date.

Hi Facebook Friends!

To find out what I'm up to this week, be sure to check me out on The Twitter!

Note: Yes, I know. I purposely added, the word 'The'.

MeliMedina
Queen
MeliMedina

• homesclscrapper Said:
I think that sometimes bloggers just want to share give aways and prizes. I know that there are some bloggers I follow who have giveaways every week. Sometimes they are paid by manufacturers, stores, kit clubs, etc. (sometimes in product, sometimes in cash) to "pimp" for them. It is their job. If you don't want to look, don't look. Some people like to win prizes and contests...me!!! And so I click. If you don't like it, don't click.

I also have been known to pimp my own blog by offering prizes...why? because it get's me more followers. I am not eligible to get paid for advertisements on my blogger, but many make money that way. Also, if you have enough followers, enough visits, manufacturers, stores, etc will often provide free products and $$$ to get you to pimp for them. It can be a great way for some families to earn a little extra income, or in the case of someone like Pioneer Woman, millions! (I don't really know how much $$$ she makes, but she has millions of people reading, a book out and a potential movie deal).

JMHO

What you said, Nancy. I am in total agreement. I don't use my blog for money making, but sometimes I have giveaways and I do like to share those with the scrapbook.com community. So do some others. I just don't click the links I'm not interested in.

KellyCali
Governor
KellyCali
In response to KellyCali

I know it's not the blogs themselves per say, that are truly in question. As the ladies said above, it's the way it's being pimped, pushed & presented to others here on this site.

If they are 'repeat offenders' I just ignore them entirely.

For me, I actually like to frequesntly pimp sb.com on mine. Would that possibly be considered 'reverse-pimping' in some way?

lstory 
Mayor
In response to KellyCali

• KellyCali Said:

Hi Facebook Friends!

I believe it's spelled Teh on the Interwebs...

Lisa

MeliMedina
Queen
MeliMedina
In response to byondbzr

• byondbzr Said:
I find the posts you're talking about off-putting because it is someone that isn't really active here at all and doesn't seem to care. (If I'm thinking of the right person!) I bet it is because DT's require that she spread the word as many places as she can.

On the subject of blogging in general, yes, I do have a blog. I had to start one 2 years ago when I made a DT. I do post tutorials from time to time and if so, I link those into the description under my gallery images. That way is the best way I think. If someone likes it, they can look at it and I'm not screaming out "LOOK AT ME AND TELL ME YOU LOVE ME!"....

I am also active in a few COF's and challenges where I have many good friends here. I will share the link with them , cause I think they may be interested. I've never considered that to be pushy, but maybe I shouldn't do it anymore. Don't want to ruffle feathers here, it's my scrappy home!

I'm pretty sure I can speak for our whole CoF when I say it isn't pushy at all and if you stop telling us I will cry!

KellyCali
Governor
KellyCali
In response to lstory

• lstory Said:
  • KellyCali Said:

Hi Facebook Friends!

I believe it's spelled Teh on the Interwebs...

Lisa

Hence the knickname 'twits!'

LOL!

byondbzr
Queen
byondbzr
In response to MeliMedina

• MelissaW Said:
  • byondbzr Said:

I'm pretty sure I can speak for our whole CoF when I say it isn't pushy at all and if you stop telling us I will cry!

Hee hee, OK girlie!

KellyCali
Governor
KellyCali
In response to KellyCali

In review

Blogging/Sharing/Details/ Informative Tutorials = Good

Prizes & Giveaways = Bonus/By All Means/It's The Cherry On Top!

Constant/Continued/Impers onal Pimping = Annoying/Leaves A Bad Taste Behind

Having A Dedicated Place to Post Em = Priceless!

Just G
Just G 
Queen
Just G

• siameseplease Said:
I only have a problem with it when it's the only reason that they joined this site. Many members here have blogs. I don't even mind if they pimp their blog, as long as they are people who also post here, share here, and make themselves known here on forum posts and such.

I get very irritated with those who seem to have joined this site simply to promote a blog. I never visit those blogs.

those are the ones i mean

Just G
Just G 
Queen
Just G

• Penny Lane Said:

*ducks*

yup

Just G
Just G 
Queen
Just G
In response to byondbzr

• byondbzr Said:

Yes. See there is a blog spot here and i used to use it just fr general info or a technique or to praise a scrapper. I don't mind those blogs.

I'm talking about "The find of the century" posts and you open it and it says "Go to my blog"

and there's NOTHING there but self promotion and spam

SuperAllyFan
Angel
SuperAllyFan
In response to Just G

hate the links, close them down immediately

KellyCali
Governor
KellyCali
In response to SuperAllyFan

I say we just start reporting them.

If I click on something only to find other scrap stores, that's exactly what I do.

This forum isn't meant to be used as ones own personal '4 SALE 4 U' bullentin board.

moxiegirl23
Queen
moxiegirl23
In response to KellyCali

• KellyCali Said:
In review

but what about the glue sticks???? i need to know how innovative they are!!!!

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to moxiegirl23

• moxiegirl23 Said:
  • KellyCali Said:
In review

Someone over on the Baaadddd scrapper thread mentioned using glue sticks, but now know they are a no no.

I wanted to say, "my friend MoxieGirl123 has a fabulous blog about glue sticks. You should definitely check it out!"

Just G
Just G 
Queen
Just G
In response to KellyCali

• KellyCali Said:
In review

that sums it up

Just G
Just G 
Queen
Just G
In response to KellyCali

• KellyCali Said:
I say we just start reporting them.

If I click on something only to find other scrap stores, that's exactly what I do.

This forum isn't meant to be used as ones own personal '4 SALE 4 U' bullentin board.

i just reported the one person that annoys me weekly LOL....sorry i'm so

Just G
Just G 
Queen
Just G
In response to Bxr-Linda

• Bxr-Linda Said:
  • moxiegirl23 Said:
  • KellyCali Said:
In review

Someone over on the Baaadddd scrapper thread mentioned using glue sticks, but now know they are a no no.

I wanted to say, "my friend MoxieGirl123 has a fabulous blog about glue sticks. You should definitely check it out!"

Glue stick lovers and blog pimpers...NO NO NO (j/k i will still be friends with a glue stick lover...i may laugh at you daily but you wont' annoy me)

Edited by Just G on 09-20-10 04:05 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Just G
Just G 
Queen
Just G
In response to Just G

I get that DTs need to spread the word but they would get more response if they actually participated in stuff here and then people would WANT to see their stuff

Edited by Just G on 09-20-10 04:12 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

siameseplease
Angel
siameseplease

• homesclscrapper Said:

JMHO

Nancy, I see where you are coming from and I do agree with you. I don't mind checking out a blog from an active member here. I love blogs. I love reading personal viewpoints, getting more detail on how to do things, etc. However, I just get my panties in a wad when someone joins this site for the express purpose of pimping their blog. To me, that's just plain old irritating. If you don't want to take the time to check out anyone else's blog or interact with anyone on this site, then don't join.

Seaexplore
Governor
Seaexplore
In response to Just G

haven't read thru all the comments but I'm a blogger. I rarely send people there since it's life and jewelry and crafting stuff and if someone wants to check it out, they can always click on my link in my siggy line. I do follow blogs but I'm VERY selective about the ones I follow and don't have time to comment on all the blogs. I know people read mine and don't comment. Whatever- I don't require it. I have it for people to see what I'm up to and for my beading bloggers program I'm in. So, take it or leave it as far as I'm concerned.

Gelidy Gelato
Diva
Gelidy Gelato
In response to Seaexplore

This thread is getting blogged down...
Where is that horse pic?

lisymarie
Expert
lisymarie
In response to Gelidy Gelato

The moderators or whatever they are called used to be more on top of things when I first joined sb.com in 2006. Maybe it's b/c they membership has grown, but it seems like promotions and SPAM hang around forever anymore.

As for give-aways and contests, there is a Contest board. They belong there, not only General Scrapbooking.

Cica
Cica 
Pro
Cica
  • Cica on 09-21-10 02:36 AM
In response to Just G

• Just G Said:

Not sure. But I can think of someone on this site that does this all the time and I always think its an interesting topic until I click on the link and realise its just a link to her blog.

madmatter
Diva
madmatter
In response to queenofstash

If I see a LO I love with a link to a blog for tutorials, I go check it out. The others, not so much, but there existence doesn't bother me. I just ignore them.

Manda_K
Queen
Manda_K
In response to madmatter

What's a "blog"?

Just G
Just G 
Queen
Just G
In response to Cica

• Cica Said:
  • Just G Said:

Not sure. But I can think of someone on this site that does this all the time and I always think its an interesting topic until I click on the link and realise its just a link to her blog.

I have asked a few of the posters who commented here and we're all talking about the same person. LOL.

Cica
Cica 
Pro
Cica
  • Cica on 09-21-10 05:02 AM
In response to Just G

• Just G Said:
  • Cica Said:
  • Just G Said:

I have asked a few of the posters who commented here and we're all talking about the same person. LOL.

scrap4brains
Queen
scrap4brains
In response to Just G

I must be good at ignoring the blog thing because I'm on here a lot and don't know for sure who you refer to.

I did see one where if you send her and 8 x 8 album she'll put your name in for a drawing for a Circut. Say what!?? How in the world can you tell if that's on the level? Here's a new album for.....nothing.

akentuckygal
Diva
akentuckygal
In response to Manda_K

• Manda_K Said:
What's a "blog"?

lstory 
Mayor

Sondra, she's just being silly, ya know? If you look carefully at Manda's sig you'll notice she has one herself.

Lisa

Foamy
Foamy 
Mayor
Foamy
  • Foamy on 09-21-10 05:46 AM

This is interesting thread.
I have a blog & I am one of those that always has a description of the "inspiration" behind my lo.. then I always say " details on blog if you would like to take a peek". I do this for various reasons. Often I have used a kit, I can give detailed description, share links of products & sketches that I have used, various techniques & tutorials etc etc. Nothing for personal gain, I do not do Google adsense on my blogs, but feel no offense if some one does. Myself- I LOVE blogs. I have found a whole world of talented people via blogging- Many are mixed media artists & not on SB.com I love this site & am grateful for all the imspiration I have recieved from the awesome people that share on this site... but I also love blogs & the personal feel to them!
I never intended to offend people by linking my blog it my description & apologize if anyone see's it as being offensive. I simply want to share the awesome warm & fuzzy feelings that scrapbooking gives me!

Edited by Foamy on 09-21-10 05:47 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

_pink_glitter_hearts_
Guru
_pink_glitter_hearts_
In response to Just G

i usually ignore the links, especially if it's their first post and they have zero images.

lojay7
lojay7 
Veteran
lojay7
In response to Just G

I don't follow blogs. I don't care if they are on here. I just ignore them. I do go to some if they have a tutorial on how to make something that I am trying to make, or for new techniques.

akentuckygal
Diva
akentuckygal
In response to lstory

• lstory Said:
Sondra, she's just being silly, ya know? If you look carefully at Manda's sig you'll notice she has one herself.

Lisa

Lisa, I know, I was being funny also. I know Manda through here and the good ole days of American Idol with Adam Lambert.

Edited by akentuckygal on 09-21-10 06:06 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Manda_K
Queen
Manda_K
In response to lstory

• lstory Said:

Lisa

I do??!! What the heck is up with that?!

akentuckygal
Diva
akentuckygal
In response to Manda_K

Manda, you are hilarious girl.

dwelch
dwelch 
Diva
dwelch
In response to Just G

I actually DO enjoy blogs, and on occasion even seek them out. I some of them have teriffic tutorials. Those are my favorites. I'm picky, however. One visit is enough for me to determine whether I'll ever visit again.

PhotobearSam
Idol
PhotobearSam
In response to Just G

I hate it. There is one in particular on here that everytime, it's a "See my blog"

It's irritating. I came on scapbook.com to see things HERE not to go to your blog.

To me most blogs are boring unless you know the person PERSONALLY....I don't care that your car broke down, that your friend came by for lunch, etc....I am here to know about scrapbooking....Not your private life.

someone PM cause I want to know if the person I am thinking of is the same one you are all mentioning.

lstory 
Mayor

• akentuckygal Said:

Lisa, I know, I was being funny also. I know Manda through here and the good ole days of American Idol with Adam Lambert.

Sorry! It's hard to read the intent behind the crazy-finger-circle smiley.

Lisa

akentuckygal
Diva
akentuckygal
In response to lstory

• lstory Said:
  • akentuckygal Said:

Sorry! It's hard to read the intent behind the crazy-finger-circle smiley.

Lisa

I hear you Lisa and apology accepted, it is hard sometimes to know the humor behind things. NO worries.

Manda_K
Queen
Manda_K

Yeah, it is tough sometimes out here in the wilds of teh internets.

PhotobearSam
Idol
PhotobearSam

YUP....same person. Thanks all.

MommaSaid
Mayor
MommaSaid
In response to PhotobearSam

Oh, Jimmeny Cricket! Now my lil big nose is all perked up to find out if it's the same one I suspect, too! But then, it begins to feel like the elephant in the room and if he's going to sit in this room much longer, I'm going to have to wrap him in lace and spritz some Glimmer Mist to make him all pretty and presentable-like.

Just G
Just G 
Queen
Just G
In response to MommaSaid

I PM'd you. I guarantee it is. I've reported her.

Just G
Just G 
Queen
Just G
In response to Just G

To sum it up

Blogs are good. They are better if they involve techniques that we can learn from

It's not about the blog. It's about the forum posts here where you think you are going to have a discussion and it's a blatant DT member saying "See my blog" and that's ALL there is to the thread. Literally.

If you're a member here, discuss things HERE. Don't say stuff like "I got the best birthday present...." and then you open the string and all it says is "See my blog"

Page 1 of 3 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics