Username Post: Paper, Paper, Paper        (Topic#1546327)
jaxxan
jaxxan 
Mayor
jaxxan

Just out of curiosity.....what are your paper buying methods?

When you buy paper is for a specific project/layout/card?
Is it because you love it and will find something later to use it.?
Do you buy cardstock to have on hand or only to match up with your pp?

I do all of the above but then when I go to scrap I feel like I have nothing I need.......am I alone with these paper issues??

One final question....how much paper would you estimate you have????
You can list it by pieces or weight whichever you makes you comfortable.
Even better if you have a photo of your paper stash you want to share, I would love to see it!

madmatter
Diva
madmatter
In response to jaxxan

I usually buy pp because I think it's pretty and has colors/patterns that I tend to use. No matter how pretty some pp is, I won't buy it if it's not really my style.

Sometimes I buy for a specific project, but usually I buy the paper first and then head to my stash when I scrap.

I buy CS to have on hand ... I rarely buy it to match my pp. I can always find something that's close enough.

I have a decent amount of paper, but not nearly as much as others seem to. I have 4 Cropper Hoppers full and then about a dozen partially used stacks ... more than I need, less than I'd like ...

NVyankee
Queen
NVyankee
In response to madmatter

I'd have to say I'm also an "all of the above".

Sometimes I have a specific project in mind -- but funny thing is I usually end of using something else for that project. At least paper doesn't have an expiration date.

StarsNSparkles
Queen
StarsNSparkles
In response to madmatter

I buy for all three reasons too...but mostly just because I like it and I like to have a bunch on hand!

I buy both CS and PP randomly...nothing to match anything, just to have and use.

In the pic, you can kind of see my paper...this is just the 12 X 12...8 1/2 x 11 and scraps go elsewhere...but I don't have a ton of the smaller stuff.
View from doorway - left side By StarsNSparkles

pugs223
Idol
pugs223
In response to jaxxan

I have a slight paper addiction - I buy whatever I think is pretty and will figure out a use for it later. Which is why it then takes me at least 30 minutes to pic paper for each LO. Sometimes I buy single sheets when I have a specific project in mind or again just when I like it. I buy cardstock when it is on sale to have on hand (packages) or when I remember I like certain shades that don't often come in packs.

I just packed up all of my paper (minus a few plain packs) for a retreat I have this weekend and I have one standard rubber maid tote full of pp (standing upright) and about 8 mat stacks, a 13x10x18 (ish) suitcase full of plain cardstock with my ziplocs of scraps and a few other packs in a tote. And I still can never find paper so use....

jaxxan
jaxxan 
Mayor
jaxxan
In response to NVyankee

Here's to no expiration dates!
Love the "more than I need, less than I'd like...." statement!

So nice to know I am not alone!

peenut_23
Angel
peenut_23
In response to madmatter

I typically buy paper because I LOVE it and will find a use for it. I tend to stick to the brands that I love.

I also occasionally buy paper for a specific project but usually only if I have seen someone else do something with it that I want to replicate ... this rarely happens now though.

In regards to CS, I only buy black, white or dark brown. I use quite a bit of white.

I have this much paper:

but that doesn't include my bin of paper scraps, my bin of cardstock or about 8-10 paper packs I have but never use!

MrsAnnieS
Mayor
MrsAnnieS
In response to peenut_23

I love buying papers! I usually hit up the clearance pp section at my LLS and buy whatever I think is pretty. I also buy for pages I have in my head. So I guess I can say I do all of the above also.

Cardstock I tend to stock up on because I never know when I will need a certain color! But I always find myself back because the colors I have on hand never quite match what I'm working on! I say about a third of my budget gets spent on papers!

Rileysmom06
Mayor
Rileysmom06
In response to MrsAnnieS

All of hte above for me. I think i am up to about 5 feet in paper.

Scrapsaholic
Mayor
Scrapsaholic
In response to Rileysmom06

All of the above for me too. I freakin love paper! I have more cs & pp to last me a lifetime but I always buy more, lol! I usually just buy whatever I think is cute/pretty and I always find a use for it later. On the other hand, sometimes I go through my paper stack and wonder "why on earth did I buy this?" and end up giving it away. I'm a big scrap paper hoarder too...I have too much!

Scrapsaholic
Mayor
Scrapsaholic
In response to Scrapsaholic

By the way Becky, that picture of Riley is so stinkin cute!!!

meezerpleaser
Diva
meezerpleaser
In response to jaxxan

• jaxxan Said:
When you buy paper is for a specific project/layout/card? I've done that, especially for my Christmas cards, but not usually.
Is it because you love it and will find something later to use it.? Yeppers... I'm a sucker for the pretty, pretty pp. Buy it sometimes just because it's eye candy! And then I hesitate to use it because it's just too pretty!
Do you buy cardstock to have on hand or only to match up with your pp? I have cs in many different colors to have on hand for a variety of projects I might get into. I absolutely HATE not having cs in the right color. Blocks me right up.

One final question....how much paper would you estimate you have???? Well, I've got about 2 linear feet of cs, and I've got 4 horizontal paper sorters full of pp in many different categories. And I have one whole Cropper Hopper full of just pet/cat pp -- I'm a collector (of pp, not cats!).

siameseplease
Angel
siameseplease
In response to meezerpleaser

I currently have 13 of the cropper hopper paper files full, plus two cardboard boxes (the kind that 10 reams of paper come in) and another small bin. Yeah...I have lots of paper.

I used to buy anything that I liked, no matter if I had a project to go with it or not. Now, I am trying hard not to do that. When I look at a piece of paper now, I try to think if I have any pictures for LOs or stamps for cards that might work with that paper. If not, I try to refrain from buying it. Some paper, though, just magically jumps into my cart, even if it does not meet criteria. I think it must be lonely or something, because it just jumps in there and begs to come home with me!

siameseplease
Angel
siameseplease
In response to siameseplease

Oh, as for CS, I have lots of that, too and continue to buy it because I never seem to have just the right color.

ChansGram
Angel
ChansGram
In response to meezerpleaser

I buy because its pretty, I buy because its on sale. I hardly ever buy singles -( altho, I do have a good supply of it )whatever the case may be...I have more pp than I will ever need. As for cs- I also have tons of that- but I feel I use/need more of that because i use it for more things- the base of my LO, matting, making borders and flowers and all my Cricut cuts.

This is an old pic - those pp slots are alot fuller now! I ran out of room on the verical storage pp stacks so I now have more stacks down below out of view on here.
my scrap space By ChansGram

pugs223
Idol
pugs223
In response to ChansGram

• ChansGram Said:
I buy because its pretty, I buy because its on sale. I hardly ever buy singles -( altho, I do have a good supply of it )whatever the case may be...I have more pp than I will ever need. As for cs- I also have tons of that- but I feel I use/need more of that because i use it for more things- the base of my LO, matting, making borders and flowers and all my Cricut cuts.

This is an old pic - those pp slots are alot fuller now! I ran out of room on the verical storage pp stacks so I now have more stacks down below out of view on here.
my scrap space By ChansGram

LOVE this!

scrap4brains
Queen
scrap4brains
In response to pugs223

I usually buy collections of pp with a series of pages in mind. I am too lazy to pick out one sheet at a time. You can see my card stock in my avi. I tend to use up most of my stash then buy a bunch at once. (poem not intended).
My newly organized paper stash. By Scrap4brains

rockmom
Queen
rockmom
In response to scrap4brains

Trish, that is an awe-inspiring space. I must say the green-eyed monster is making itself felt.
Congrats on an accomplishment creating a wonderful working-space.

Nikki Dee
Resident
Nikki Dee
In response to peenut_23

• peenut_23 Said:
I typically buy paper because I LOVE it and will find a use for it. I tend to stick to the brands that I love.

I also occasionally buy paper for a specific project but usually only if I have seen someone else do something with it that I want to replicate ... this rarely happens now though.

In regards to CS, I only buy black, white or dark brown. I use quite a bit of white.

I have this much paper:

but that doesn't include my bin of paper scraps, my bin of cardstock or about 8-10 paper packs I have but never use!

Where did you get those paper racks?? I want something like that when I get my scrap room.

Lal
Lal 
Diva
Lal
  • Lal on 11-04-10 01:49 PM
In response to Nikki Dee

How do you embed a picture in your post?

CMLeach
Governor
CMLeach
In response to jaxxan

- Sometimes. When I make gift albums, then I specifically buy for them as they're normally themed in some way. I am also now buying specifically for photos I know I have or know I will be taking (in the case of Christmas photos at this point).

Is it because you love it and will find something later to use it?
- Yep. This too. I bought K & Company's Blue Awning papers strictly because I LOVED them. But, I've used them on a number of projects now, so they have not been wasted in the slightest. Everything from photos of Norway to pregnancy/ultrasound pics.

- I typically buy DCWV cardstock stacks, so I always have a bunch on hand. Very rarely do I buy specifically for layouts.

How much paper would you estimate you have????
- I have one iris box filled with cardstock and two with pattern papers. I think I may have one stack that does not fit in the boxes, but that's all. So...about 3" of cardstock, and about 6-7" of pattern paper, I'm guessing?

Scrapsaholic
Mayor
Scrapsaholic
In response to Lal

• Lal Said:
How do you embed a picture in your post?

Right above the posting box is 2 lines of things you can do. You will see "bold" "underline" etc. On the bottom line, the 3rd over from the left is the URL link. Click on that and paste the link of your photo (or website), then you will be able to change the name of it if you choose. I really hope that made sense!

Lal
Lal 
Diva
Lal
  • Lal on 11-04-10 03:55 PM

My Paper Storage By Lal
Ah, finally got it! This is all my paper excluding paper scraps which I have in a large bin in Cropper Hopper folders seperated by brand. The last cubby in the top row is now filled with 12x12 paper and all the bottom cubbies are filled with my albums. I think I have about 4 feet of paper...more than I'll ever use I'm sure, yet as someone stated, sometimes I feel like I just don't have what I "need"! When I first started out scrapping, I'd buy tons of stacks and paper because it was "cute" or on sale, ect, but now that I've developed a certain "style" or I know what I like and what I'll use, I've become a whole lot pickier about what I buy. I don't buy cardstock except for white and black or Kraft. I do have quite a bit of other colors that I bought when I first started out, but I never use those, but just can't seem to get rid of them "just in case". Every now and then (when my cubbies seem TOO FULL), I will look thru all my papers and pick out the ones I haven't looked at or think I won't be using and pass them along to my sister or other friends who scrap. I do admit that I am a paperholic

styme123
Resident
styme123
In response to Lal

I hope this works here's a picture of just some of my paper stacks. I'm storing them in my bedroom until my new scraproom is completed.

Link

Edited by styme123 on 11-04-10 05:27 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Scrapsaholic
Mayor
Scrapsaholic
In response to styme123

• styme123 Said:
I hope this works here's a picture of just some of my paper stacks. I'm storing them in my bedroom until my new scraproom is completed.

Link

That link didn't work. Try uploading the photo to your sb.com gallery

styme123
Resident
styme123
In response to styme123

I still can't figure out how to do the picture thing.

Scrapsaholic
Mayor
Scrapsaholic
In response to styme123

• styme123 Said:
I still can't figure out how to do the picture thing.

I could be wrong, but I don't think you can link a photo here from Facebook.

styme123
Resident
styme123

Here goes another try.

http://www.scrapbook.com/gallery/uploads/29216 9_paper28...

styme123
Resident
styme123
In response to styme123

still not the picture ughh. but at least its the link. sorry

Scrapsaholic
Mayor
Scrapsaholic
In response to styme123

• styme123 Said:

Good Lord, how on earth do you find a sheet you need for your project? LOL!

ChansGram
Angel
ChansGram

That is quite the stack!!!!

jaxxan
jaxxan 
Mayor
jaxxan
In response to styme123

• styme123 Said:

Holy Moly is that all paper??? Please tell me there is something on the bottom that all that is sitting on! Wow!

jaxxan
jaxxan 
Mayor
jaxxan
In response to jaxxan

Ladies thank you so much for not letting me feel alone in my paper addiction and providing some great laughs!

Kepp the pictures coming! I love seeing all the paper.......drool drool!

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to Lal

Mostly I just buy it because I love it and when I look at it and touch it, a project comes to mind,,,,

Occasionally, I have the project in mind first, and have to go looking for paper and do not have anything that will do, so out I go to buy paper for a specific project.

I rarely buy singles, I almost always buy the entire stack, although I might buy singles for a specific project.

DaisyButton
Mayor
DaisyButton
In response to CommaHolly

double sided paper gives me fits.... I buy 4 sheets... then I don't have to decide... LOL I never buy singles... always 2 sheets if its single sided... mostly I buy it because I like it, but I do buy for specific layouts too.

I've bought about 6 to 10 pads, and I've bought a few complete lines -- mama razzi and june bug come to mind... I love basic grey and bo bunny and graphic 45 so I have boxes for them. My other catagories are themes and a few just color boxes for stuff that dosen't fit in a vendor, or theme... within each box, I divide catagories with a piece of 12 x 12 cardboard. I put the catagories on the outside with my dymo label maker. I have one box for scraps and its always on top. I try to go to it first for small mats or letters or cards...

I went through all my paper last spring, and gave away about an iris case full to scrap friends and to a friend who is a librarian at an elementary school for die cuts, art, etc. I had to make some room to buy more this year! LOL

I don't have a house beautiful scraproom, but here's my 10 iris cases of pp, and the stack that needs to be filed under it... i keep my stock in cropper hoppers -- I'm low on neutrals... time to stock up... LOL and I also cut a stack of cardstock to keep by the cricut handy...

My Paper Addiction - patterned paper storage By DaisyButton
My Paper addiction - cardstock storage By DaisyButton

I've used all my mama razzi, and have started using june bug up too... I think most of it will eventually get used... and its fun to collect, but of late I've been trying to shop my stash first!

km37 
Tenant
  • km37 on 11-04-10 08:16 PM
In response to DaisyButton

I find that if i have the photo first - i can then spend time searching for just the right paper -- and it will get used.

If I buy the paper first, sometimes I find it hard to match the photos (without turning them to black and white of course). I find this way 'cheaper' then just buying all the pretty paper that I see with no layout in mind

TheCharmedOne
Pro
TheCharmedOne

I buy paper that I like and find use for it at later stage. Graphic 45, Basic Grey and K&Company are me most bought paperbrands. For the CS, I buy to have on hand but mostly buy the stacks by DCWV. They have beautiful colors in them stacks that match up with eachother and with other stacks. As for how much paper I have, I have about 60 paperholders full. Those holders that ya find at Scrapbook stores to display their papers in. I so need to make a picture of me cabinet and post on here. I still have the feeling I dont have enough as I am still missing certain themes n such. The last bought papers were by Graphic 45, Hallowe'en in Wonderland. Just too gorgeous! Plus I love Alice.

Mia1979
Diva
Mia1979

most time i just buy it because I LOVE PAPER!!!

pugs223
Idol
pugs223
In response to TheCharmedOne

The only problem with so much paper is when going to a retreat or crop - it's heavy and I need a u-haul. I'd limit what I bring, but I never know what I'm going to be in the mood for.

cshortel
Guru
cshortel
In response to pugs223

Except for fall stuff (I'm a sucker for anything with a leaf, pumpkin, gourd, etc. on it) I buy for projects.

That being said, I need to remember to buy Christmas paper when it goes on clearance next year so I have some to start projects earlier than I could this year.

dollscrap
Queen
dollscrap
In response to jaxxan

Hi Jill. Your pp habits sound like mine.. I buy whatever strikes my fancy. I will buy pps for a certain layout but most often I wander around the stores putting pps in my basket thinking I will find a photo to go with them. Then when I get out my photos...I got no pps for it..so I go shopping again. I get assorted colored card stock sometimes just to have.
I love seeing the huge huge stacks of pps other members have...then I don't feel so bad. I only have half of the hallway closet for storage.if I stacked up my pps, all sizes, they'd probably measure between 2 and 3 feet..imagine the damage I could do if I had a scraproom.

Edited by dollscrap on 11-05-10 04:53 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

jaxxan
jaxxan 
Mayor
jaxxan
In response to dollscrap

Hi Jeannine, yes we are paper buying twins. I couldn't have said it better myself!
Wow 2 to 3feet this is a lot for not having a scraproom!

I love how supportive (aka enablers) this is site is to our addictions. I am really enjoying the pictures of everyone's stash!

CarrieBH
Veteran
CarrieBH
In response to cshortel

When I first started scrapbooking, I bought every piece of patterned paper I saw that I thought was cute OR that reminded me of something that occured that I wanted to scrap.

Once I had a lot of layouts under my belt (and a ridiculous amount of patterned paper), I was buying patterned paper the same way, but only when I needed it for something specific. I was never a fan of the paper stacks. I thought they would be too matchy-matchy and I'm not that kind of person at all!

After 5 scrapbooks under my belt, I bought my first paper pack specifically for my Spain trip album (the designs reminded me of Spain). I can't believe how quickly it helped me finish that album!! It didn't turn out matchy-matchy at all because I felt like I could still be creative and original with embellishments, and again, I still had the occasional page where a single, non-thematic, purchased piece of patterned paper (or plain cardstock) worked better. I will still buy plain-colored cardstock by the sheet (I'm picky about the brand I prefer, and I can't buy it in bulk unless I buy a full ream at a time online) but now I'm completely hooked on paper packs!! I'll be using those now on as my base, with only the occasional "single patterned sheet" when I need something particular that isn't in a stack.

I have my next 4 albums' worth of paper stacks picked out already (I stack per album), and I can't wait to get those purchased so I can get started!

styme123
Resident
styme123
In response to jaxxan

Nope unfortunately not! It's all paper and I have 2 iris container full of other papers that were to delicate to stack. The pile is waiting for its new home in the scrapbook room in the basement. So I really don't have to worry about getting a piece out yet.

Guru
In response to styme123

I've got too much. I think it's 10 Cropper Hopper paper holders full to the point I can't add any more paper. I know I have a few stacks floating around and some other paper in random places. My paper is every where.

An idea for older "out of style" paper. Use them for mini book projects etc. I had some paper that I would never use in my scrapbooks (I bought them 8 or 10 years ago and just don't like them anymore). I did a mini album for a gift and it came out totally cute! The paper looked tons better when cut smaller. The person I gave the gift to LOVED it.

lstory 
Mayor
In response to ihacodb

I buy at random and then shop my stash when I'm doing layouts. This means I have to rethink my storage asap because the paper is piling up quickly.

As for the overstock, I make envelopes out of the single-sided sheets that I don't like anymore or that came in stacks (DCWV, here's looking at you). Not so helpful if you're not a card-maker, though.

Lisa

Mia1979
Diva
Mia1979

• Scrapsaholic Said:
All of the above for me too. I freakin love paper! I have more cs & pp to last me a lifetime but I always buy more, lol! I usually just buy whatever I think is cute/pretty and I always find a use for it later. On the other hand, sometimes I go through my paper stack and wonder "why on earth did I buy this?" and end up giving it away. I'm a big scrap paper hoarder too...I have too much!

I hear you! I am such a paper freak. I buy paper because I love it. Im always thinking of projects in my head. Im always searching for new ppr @ Michaels...

outsidechic
Diva
outsidechic
In response to Mia1979

i tried that, but then gave it up and get paper when i have some spending money. and because i like it and can see a future for it. also i rule myself to only buy one sheet of each, double sided what ever, one sheet. i do make a point to get different sheets from the same line, and i do have a tendancy to buy paper packs where i get one of each sheet in the line ... that way i can mix and match, and im usually shopping online too.

i have one of those multi bazzill paper packs, where you have like 4 of each color and it equals out to like a 100 sheets. but i can tell you the exact colors that i USE ALL THE TIME. and those i buy in 25 - 50 sheet packs at a time. so i guess i have my CS in stock. and no it doesn't usually match my pp, i do like the plainish pp that comes with packs and on double sided paper i use that stuff far more than i ever have used my CS ... i bought the CS 2 years ago and 95% of it is still in my isis containers.

oh and i have 8 isis containers (what 3" each) worth of 12x12 paper, a few stacks of the smaller papers. and a hudge basket of scraps that i go to more than my paper when making pages.

Edited by outsidechic on 11-09-10 04:21 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

jaxxan
jaxxan 
Mayor
jaxxan
In response to outsidechic

hey using scraps is good at least you are getting the most out of your investment. But wow that alot of paper.

We should have paper contest on here maybe by weight? Who has the most pounds of paper.

jaxxan
jaxxan 
Mayor
jaxxan
In response to outsidechic

oops double post!

Edited by jaxxan on 11-09-10 07:39 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics