Username Post: Done with Ms        (Topic#1570697)
Scrap Princess72010
Expert
Scrap Princess72010

I was in Ms today, to use my 50% coupon, I was going to get the Smash book but decided to wait til March when the new ones come out. On one of end caps they had neon shirts, marked 2 for $6 well after I got to the checkout they rang up $7.99 I said they are marked and they said it excludes neon shirts. I said the end cap is marked and the only thing on the end cap is neon shirts. She looked at me like I was crazy. I walked out without half my stuff I was so mad!

I e-mailed them and will be calling in a day or so if I have not received and e-mail response. I will not be shopping at Ms for a while atleast! And that was my favorite store! UGH!!!!

madmatter
Diva
madmatter
In response to Scrap Princess72010

I have been done with M's for a while now ... their service is so horrible that's it's just not worth the aggravation

designguyKORY
Guru
designguyKORY

LoL, Princess- sorry, I hate to laugh- but I couldn't help it- you're done with M's in the subject line, but by the end of your note, it's down to 'awhile, at least.'. Hahahaha you know you'll be in there by Sunday!

;-)

Kory
(yeah, you can hit me)

madmatter
Diva
madmatter
In response to designguyKORY

not me Kory ... I have taken my scrappy dollars elsewhere and have written M's a lovely letter explaining why they have fired me as a customer

designguyKORY
Guru
designguyKORY

Oh, I was so busy being smart that I forgot to ask- which new Smash book are you waiting on?

Didja see the new Smash tape, called Swatch, that comes out next month? I'm freakin out about it!

Kory

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean

Don't give up Michaels over the actions of one employee who didn't know what they were doing. Next time demand to see a manager! They will almost always make it right at Michaels.

I had an awesome coupon at Michaels and bought several hundred dollars worth of stuff.. the day before the sale.

They told me to come back the next day with my receipt and explain what happened. They took care of it!

Sunnydi
Queen
Sunnydi

I have had similar thing happen and I just calmly asked for the manager and showed her the in-store price sign. I got that price and the employee at the cash register was educated to change the price until they could correct their error in the computer.

Hope they contact you; that would be good customer service.

CrimsonMama
Governor
CrimsonMama
In response to Sunnydi

I must be lucky because for the most part at the Ms near me, the service is really good. I think a lot has to do with the store manager. I'm not always happy with their inventory but it's the store that is close to me so they will continue to get some of my biz, baring a major snaffoo.

All the other choices, HL, J's and A's are all farther....and you can drive yourself to death around Atlanta.

madmatter
Diva
madmatter
In response to CrimsonMama

my issue with M's is about what happened when I called Customer service ... their basic response was "sorry ... nothing we can do" even after I told them they were losing a customer

I guess since I work for a retail company that prides itself on customer service and on fixing the problem (if there is one), I hold the stores where I shop to a certain standard ... and M's just doesn't meet that standard for me

Just G
Just G 
Queen
Just G
In response to madmatter

I have an M's, HL and Archivers near me in KY and I NEVER go to M's. they're selection is weak and their prices are ick so I wouldn't shop there without a coupon. Customer service is lack luster to say at least.

scrappin 2
Queen
scrappin 2
In response to Just G

I get upset with our Michael's all the time. Customer Service is lacking everywhere. Coupons: ya gotta check the day, exclusions, only good on second Tues of next month...grrr! We no longer have a local scrapbook store so my choices are Michael's, Hobby Lobby and Jo ann's. I want NEW products.

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 02-15-12 07:05 PM
In response to scrappin 2

The employees at my M's are mostly quite nice, they're just clueless, and for most of them it's obviously just a job, they don't understand the products nor do they really want to. And considering the salary they're probably getting I don't blame them one bit, nor do I expect any more, because they are at least nice and they do at least try to be helpful. They just have no idea what they're selling, lol.

A 40% off one item coupon doesn't make a huge difference, and for what I mostly buy there it doesn't even make up for the gas to get there.

So - I give my hard-earned money to companies that do deserve it. Thanks sb.com!!

moxiegirl23
Queen
moxiegirl23
In response to stick

I haven't spent money at Ms since the brouhaha over them opening on Thanksgiving and I don't miss it. I went inside a couple of weeks ago and left without seeing a single thing that wanted to come home with me.

MrsAnnieS
Mayor
MrsAnnieS
In response to moxiegirl23

I prefer Js if I am going to a big box craft store, the customer service has always been pretty decent at my Ms, but it feels so dirty. I would love a closer HL though!

riorabbit
Queen
riorabbit
In response to MrsAnnieS

Goodness knows it has been a while since I have bought any scrapbook related supplies. However, I had to go in there to buy some kid craft stuff for the kids I volunteer with not too long ago.

I could hear the staff members talking to each other over their headsets. Basically they were warning each other of customers they suspected would come back in to use a second coupon. Really? They care that much about a second coupon being used that they are going to radio each other and give the details of what the person they just rung up looks like?

Just seemed so pathetic to me...

kelseymel
Idol
kelseymel
In response to riorabbit

I love my M's and have never had any sort of problem there.

If you're unhappy . . . write letters, emails, call corporate, etc. If that doesn't resolve your issues then simply don't shop there. Otherwise you are rewarding them for treating you like garbage.

madmatter
Diva
madmatter
In response to kelseymel

• kelseymel Said:
I love my M's and have never had any sort of problem there.

If you're unhappy . . . write letters, emails, call corporate, etc. If that doesn't resolve your issues then simply don't shop there. Otherwise you are rewarding them for treating you like garbage.

that's exactly what I did Melissa .. I complained, called corporate, wrote a letter and voted with my feet and my wallet

I am also happy to spread around what type of company I believe they are

kelseymel
Idol
kelseymel
In response to madmatter

And that's why I you, Mad!

madmatter
Diva
madmatter
In response to kelseymel

right back at you

KVRLVN
KVRLVN 
Governor
KVRLVN
In response to madmatter

I have never had a problem with my M's. We have 2 stores 30 mintues apart. I do agree they have employess that don't know about the products and could care less, but they have always been nice and helpful when needed. We only have M's and HL, so I go between them and a few on-line companies to get everything I wanting.

BTW, my M's must be the only stores they have that don't carry any SMASH books or materials. I've asked people that work there and they have no clue what a SMASH book even is. I want to see them up close before I would consider buying one.

prittb
prittb 
Diva
prittb
In response to KVRLVN

So far no problems at my Ms either. I did not have my 50% off coupon with me this week and the sales clerk pulled one out and used it on an item for me. Sometimes I have my GS with me and he uses a coupon for me

I also have a great Js near me too.

designguyKORY
Guru
designguyKORY
In response to prittb

Sometimes I have luck with cashiers, sometimes I don't. It all just comes down to life. It's either a big pile of torn paper or it's a fresh, sealed, brand new pack.

kory

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda

-Don't give up because of one employee.

In theory, I agree with this, however.... my experience, and reading of other people's experience (all OVER THE COUNTRY), this is NOT simply one employee or one incident!!

It seems GOOD customer service at M's is the exception, not the rule. And, like Mad and Moxie, I'm finished with supporting that kind of store.

chocolateaxel
Mayor
chocolateaxel

Seems this is a topic that gets cussed and discussed very often
I've posted before about the M's in my area, but I'll gladly post it again. They are horrible, the absolute worst! Extremely poor customer service, management that seems to know less than even the kids who work the aisles (if you can find one), and since phone calls and emails to the corporate office provided even less help than what was found in the stores, I am on a total M's boycott.
From what I've read on several threads here, it seems there are a lot of inconsistencies with M's across the country. But I can say if anyone is ever in OKC, don't even bother going to M's.

designguyKORY
Guru
designguyKORY
In response to chocolateaxel

hahaha, especially the Ms at 50th and May!!! Ohhhh there's one cashier I'd love to toss a Martha Stewart punch at!

k

chocolateaxel
Mayor
chocolateaxel

Oh, yeah, probably the same one I have had trouble with! Ya know, if this were an isolated incident, it would be different, but it seems to be the norm. So stick a fork in me, I'm done!

CrimsonMama
Governor
CrimsonMama

If you throw a MS punch at a clerk, please have someone ready to take a photo!

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to chocolateaxel

• chocolateaxel Said:
Oh, yeah, probably the same one I have had trouble with! Ya know, if this were an isolated incident, it would be different, but it seems to be the norm. So stick a fork in me, I'm done!

EXACTLY!

amancuso
Diva
amancuso

• designguyKORY Said:
Sometimes I have luck with cashiers, sometimes I don't. It all just comes down to life. It's either a big pile of torn paper or it's a fresh, sealed, brand new pack.

kory

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to KVRLVN

My Michaels has two ladies that pretty much runthe scrapbook section - Judy and Sandy. They are both awesome. If I go in they say hi to me by name and ask what they can do to help. They can always answer my questions and find things for me if I'm looking for something specific. They can even advise me on papers or something to do on one of my pages if I've hit a block.

They both scrapbook themselves and love it!

designguyKORY
Guru
designguyKORY
In response to Henri Jean

I wish my Ms had someone who ran the SB dept!

Hey Henri! I made you somethin' on my blog! A sketch just for you!

-k

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean

I'm excited - going over there now!

Oh my! I love it! I can put 3 pictures and it has two journaling blocks! I'm in love with this sketch! Awesome Kory! Will be so easy to mirror it and make it a 2 page!

Now I'm sitting here with China pages all around me to work through and I don't want to work on travel layouts - I want to move right on to doing something with "my sketch"! Maybe a special Hawaii page?

Okay - I have an idea - stay tuned!

rubyc
rubyc 
Expert
rubyc
  • rubyc on 02-16-12 11:49 AM
In response to KVRLVN

I have also quit going to M's... They really have to change their policy or at least train there employees a little better.

Megan - ForumTech
The Janitor
Megan - ForumTech
In response to rubyc

While I would never advocate throwing something at someone - that's assault - if you're gonna do it...

....video, not photo. YouTube.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to Megan - ForumTech

I can see it now!

designguyKORY
Guru
designguyKORY

hahahahahaahahaha

That really REALLY made me laugh. No false LOL, SWEAR.

But if anyone is really concerned- I would never throw anything at a M's employee. No matter how many eye rolls she gives me.

-kory

designguyKORY
Guru
designguyKORY

...but I did almost grab her hand once and MIRACLE WORKER style sign S-P-E-L-L-B-I-N-D-E-R-S into her palm when she kept giving me a blank stare when I was trying to get LABELS #8!

-kory

KVRLVN
KVRLVN 
Governor
KVRLVN

LOL. I have to agree. I have tried many times asking an employee about a certain product or line and get the blank I have no clue what you are talking about so therefore we don't have it stare. It is very frustrating, but in my area I don't really have a choice for places to shop. They're good for getting some things when I need it now and not have to wait for an on-line order.

riorabbit
Queen
riorabbit

• Megan - ForumTech Said:
While I would never advocate throwing something at someone - that's assault - if you're gonna do it...

....video, not photo. YouTube.

Oh my goodness...I have not been around this place in forever. Seeing your mop just made my day. Crazy how it reminded me of so many memories.

Megan - ForumTech
The Janitor
Megan - ForumTech
In response to riorabbit

950nancy
Diva
950nancy

My M's lost a couple of my favorite employees since Thanksgiving. The new people they hired really seem to know their department. This may be a first.

scrappnmom2il
Expert
scrappnmom2il
In response to 950nancy

I have 4 Michael's all in my vicinity. The one closest to me is the dirtiest and the employees are very rude. I ran out of adhesive (never will this happen again) and had to run in. I was at the adhesive section trying to decide which adhesive to buy, because I just needed it for that day and to finish something, when an employee came up with her ladder and proceeded to park it in my view of the adhesives. No excuse me no nothing. The other M's is bigger, but again not a great selection of sb stuff. The one I like is 30 minutes driving, but at times worth the trip. I find the stuff I need on clearance. I haven't been there in a while, but that is a stop that I plan to make tomorrow since I will be in the area. If I get the same feeling as in the other 3 M's I will also go on strike against M's. I've got HL, Jo's and Archiver's.

beejo
beejo 
Tenant
beejo
  • beejo on 02-21-12 09:03 AM
In response to scrappnmom2il

So it's not just me then? I live in a small town so I have to travel an hour to go to the city. There's one M's store there and no-one knows a thing about scrapbooking. I said to my hubby, "Just watch, she won't know what I'm talking about" I asked her if they sold Scorpal. I got the blank look and a "what's that?" Half the time, they can't find what you want. i.e. you pick up a card from the wall for a die or cricut cartridge, take it to checkout and guess what? They don't have it! The only reason I go there is because of the coupons. There's a great store called *Scrapbookers Paradise* here in Alberta, Canada. The employees are all scrapbookers and are so helpful, but their prices are higher. Oh well!!
Babs

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny
In response to beejo

To be frank, I don't know what you mean by "Scorpal" either, and I've been scrapbooking for over ten years.

Momto3infinity
Pro
Momto3infinity
In response to aquabunny

It's the 'Scor-Pal' and is the predecessor to MS Scoring Board. Scrapbooker's Paradise is awesome! I used to get most of my supplies from there when we lived in Elk Point and Edson, I'd take the two and half hour commute just to get stuff
Products Referenced in This Post:

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to Momto3infinity

I would not have know either. Sounds like it would be more for cards and I don't make cards.
I always prefer the local scrapbook stores - when we travel I try to visit everyone I can.

But still, our Michaels does really well. Mostly I love the scrapbook department ladies, Judy and Sandy. They are so knowledgeable and helpful and both scrapbook.

Momto3infinity
Pro
Momto3infinity
In response to Henri Jean

In defense of M's, J's and HL employees - I think it is unfair to expect them to know everything about scrapbooking (just because we do ). Perhaps they work there just because it's a job, maybe they applied there because they're into making cakes or knitting, or ___ (you fill in the blank). It could be for any number of reasons. Whenever I'm in an M's, J's or HL, I think to myself what a nightmare it would be doing inventory in a place like this. Now, I do expect them to know how to handle coupons properly and I would hope that they would know what the specials of the week are.

chocolateaxel
Mayor
chocolateaxel
In response to beejo

I could be wrong, but I don't think Scor-Pal is sold in stores, the last time I checked you could only buy it from their website. But the Martha Stewart score system is sold at Ms and HL, or at least it was last time I looked.
I love my Scor-Pal, I use it tons! The Martha Stewart one has more options for scoring but I'd rather flush my money down a toilet than give any to her company
And I agree with the post that I don't expect the Ms employees to know everything about a particular craft, but I do expect common civility and a modicum of respect, which the employees at Ms in OKC don't give. They are rude, surly and totally unpleasant to be around.

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to Momto3infinity

• Momto3infinity Said:
In defense of M's, J's and HL employees - I think it is unfair to expect them to know everything about scrapbooking (just because we do ). Perhaps they work there just because it's a job, maybe they applied there because they're into making cakes or knitting, or ___ (you fill in the blank). It could be for any number of reasons. Whenever I'm in an M's, J's or HL, I think to myself what a nightmare it would be doing inventory in a place like this. Now, I do expect them to know how to handle coupons properly and I would hope that they would know what the specials of the week are.

I completely agree!

However, I WOULD appreciate hearing, "I don't know, but I will find someone who does." Or, "I will find out for you."

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to Bxr-Linda

And, I also have to admit that I don't know what Scorpal is either.

Qweenofthecrop
Expert
Qweenofthecrop
In response to Bxr-Linda

Yeah M's pretty much sucks where I live too. You know what I really hate? - Now they have the "return" price listed right on your receipt so even if you return something WITH the receipt you will NOT get back what you paid for it..... Since I am lucky enough to have two LSS near me and a nice Joanns - I rarely go to M's.

Momto3infinity
Pro
Momto3infinity
In response to Qweenofthecrop

The 'return value' is the amount you will get back for one (1) specific item on your receipt because the coupon you used was applied to that item.

scrappnmom2il
Expert
scrappnmom2il
In response to Bxr-Linda

I thought it was just my local 5-20 minute drive Michael's that I have in the area, that are rude. I have 3 and 1 is 30 minutes away and I discovered another one today which is 25 minutes away, that must have just opened up recently. So, I stopped in. Nice size Michael's. Looked organized. I picked up some clearance items, that I really didn't need, but I did. When I got to the cashier, I told the cashier that I have my teacher's id. She told me, that they don't honor the teacher id's. I asked to speak to a manager. The manager told me, that they do honor it but only on regular priced items. I told her that this wasn't true and that the other M's always honor the discount. In a very snippety way, she said, "not at this Michael's". Then I saw the sign and pointed it out to her and she said, "that should've been taken down". So, I left. Left my items right there on the counter. So, then, as I was getting into my car, a lady comes up to me and says, that they did the same thing to her right after me. And informs me, that she used to work at M's, for a short time, during the summer. She quit after 2 weeks, because she was treated like she had the plague when she tried to help a cusotmer. She told me that a customer was confused about what types of wire to use for a necklace. This x employee helped the customer for a while. When the customer left, after making a large purchase, she was told by the manager that she was not to do that, that she should be stocking the shelves not helping the cusotmers. SO, what is that all about? Is M's trying to lose their customers?

FreeYourFears
Tenant
FreeYourFears
In response to KVRLVN

Ugh. I had the same problem at Ms on Sunday! I picked out about ten different 12 x 12 papers that were all marked on sale for $0.19 and when I got to the register, they all came up as $0.69. I told the cashier that they were marked at 19 cents and he shrugged and said "Well they rang up as 69 cents." I asked him to fix it and he said he "didn't know how." I left because I was tired of wasting my time.

madmatter
Diva
madmatter
In response to Bxr-Linda

• Bxr-Linda Said:
  • Momto3infinity Said:

I completely agree!

However, I WOULD appreciate hearing, "I don't know, but I will find someone who does." Or, "I will find out for you."

I sort of agree ... while I understand they may not know every term, part of working at a store is knowing what you sell and where to find it. If I go to the supermarket and ask where to find an item, I would hope that every employee in the store should be able to tell me what aisle to find it in..

Yes, at the very least, you should do what Linda said, but a store should be training their employees to have SOME knowledge about the product sold in the store they work in.

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny
In response to madmatter

Sure, but in the case of an item they don't even carry? (in reference to the discussion about the Scor-Pal) Expecting them to know about products that aren't even in their inventory really is not fair.

KatieAnna
Tenant
KatieAnna
In response to aquabunny

I must be lucky. I have only one Michaels in my area (and it's closer to work than it is to home) and I enjoy shopping there. Generally, I don't ask for help as I usually can find what I'm looking for...as far as coupons go, no problems there either. I have my doubts as to whether the staff knows that much about scrapbooking products but that's OK, too. There's also a Js and an ACM in my area. To tell the truth, I like my Ms better. HL opened up about a half-hour's drive away and I really like that store. My DD, friend and I plan special trips to HL. As far as LLS, I'm not sure there are any in my area anymore. There used to be one but I don't know if it's still open. A stamping store just recently went out of business.

Our Ms hasn't had much as far as SMASH products. It seems that they stock them and before you know it, they're down to only a few items. But...ACM has a good selection of SMASH so I got my stuff there.

CrimsonMama
Governor
CrimsonMama
In response to KatieAnna

A couple of weeks ago I could not find any velum pawowper and a lady that works in the flower arranging department not only knew what it was, but she found the last pack they had in stock for me.

I still say it goes to the store manager. I worked in retail and I had a store manager that made sure we were trained to sell all the product lines. She trained and she called in manufacturing reps to train.

I will say that one of my client's has a daughter who just graduated from a very fine university with a degree in graphic design. She has not found a appropriate job with the economy being what it is. I mentioned to him that she should look at scrapbooking paper companies as I see jobs for graphic designers there. So unbelievably she is working for a M's right now. Does she know everything about knitting, jewelry making, scraping, etc.? I doubt it.

My M's is so good, it is always busy and right now their inventory of embellishment is just cleaned out. The racks are bear and the amount of single sheet paper is low as well although yesterday I did see some new items there. That's the problem I have with them is the inventory is so low sometimes. I went in yesterday to get another Iris photo case that holds 1600 photos and they did not have one in stock.

They definitely miss sells because of that.

SmartyPants
Diva
SmartyPants
In response to CrimsonMama

I have 3 M's by me - each one is a bit different - but I really like them all! I have never had any problems with them. I really like their Recollections embellishments and the fact that they put them on sale for 50% off a lot!!

With all the box stores - I wish they would expand their scrapbooking sections - but with products changing so quickly - I know that it's hard for them to keep up!

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny
In response to SmartyPants

Honestly, I would be perfectly happy if products DIDN'T change so quickly. By the time I find out I like something, it's already out of print or no longer easy to find in stores.

KatieAnna
Tenant
KatieAnna
In response to aquabunny

• Quote:
Honestly, I would be perfectly happy if products DIDN'T change so quickly. By the time I find out I like something, it's already out of print or no longer easy to find in stores.

Yes, I've had this problem, too.

Mr Mister
Veteran
Mr Mister
In response to aquabunny

M's and HL are discounters and I expect to get the same level of help I would in a Home Depot or Target. They're there to move a volume of product, not help us craft. If we get help from them that's an added bonus. That's why I like to patronize the independent LSS's first - they are the REAL scrapbookers. But we all like that 40%-50% off needle they keep offering to put in our arms don't we?

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 02-24-12 06:06 PM
In response to Mr Mister

Well put, Mister, and I totally agree - except to add that staff should ALWAYS be courteous, even if they can't be helpful. Which luckily they mostly are at all the big box stores I go to, although obviously other people here have worse experiences.

What I don't like about M's is just their inherent big box problem - huge variety of different products but not much of any one thing or even one type of thing. Just like Home Depot and Target. And the current marketing scheme for all of these types of stores seems to be "move everything around as often as possible" ... I suppose in a misguided attempt to make the customer browse through more of the store, but in reality it just makes one frustrated, confused, and/or irritated, so NO shopping results. And as much as I love a 40% off coupon, I do get really irritated at how often I have a coupon (i.e., always) and walk out empty-handed.

designguyKORY
Guru
designguyKORY
In response to Mr Mister

wow, amazingly put, Mister!

Where are all the, "I went to Wal-MARKS and asked for a Cricut and they sent me to the pest control aisle!"

lol, no, y'all, I'm not talking smack- I've complained about the help at Michael's too (especially if it involved getting some Spellbinders out of their prison and into my hot little hands) - but I am also one who doesn't like help when I go somewhere- I don't even like to call places. If I can't order a pizza online, I won't eat.

But seriously, and it's not the boxed wine talking, very well put, Mister. I never thought of it that way.

And you're right- when I go to an LSS, I get the help everyone wants.

And I also understand the argument that they're still a business and should provide good service for the products they sell-

but, oh well, I lost my train of thought. I'm gonna go back to trying to organize my work area. I've finally managed to get letters and sticker letters into one bin...

k

designguyKORY
Guru
designguyKORY
In response to Mr Mister

also, I hafta add, the needle in the arm analogy had to be the funniest thing I've read all week- and how freakin true!!!

k

Mr Mister
Veteran
Mr Mister

• designguyKORY Said:
also, I hafta add, the needle in the arm analogy had to be the funniest thing I've read all week- and how freakin true!!!

k

Yeah but now I have the picture of an M's clerk putting needles in our arms stuck in my head. Any more wine in that box?

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics