Username Post: Obstacles That Prevent You From Scrapbooking        (Topic#1580841)
t-scraps
Expert
t-scraps

Please pick one.

Obstacles That Prevent You From Scrapbooking
Overwhelmed By Choices of Products
Perfectionism - My LOs Have To Be Perfect
Lack of Design Know How
Time Constraints - Takes A Long Time To Prepare/Scrap
Easily Distracted - Other Pulls For Your Time
Disorganization
You may choose one option.
Votes accepted from 09-18-12 05:56 AM to 10-18-12 05:56 AM.
View results
You are not allowed to vote in this poll.

ScrappyMama6
Mayor
ScrappyMama6
In response to t-scraps

Are you writing a book?

Kidding!

I think I have INTENTIONS of getting to the scrap room, and the kids, bills, BF, phone, email, the GALLERY HERE etc.....all call my name and I cant get there. Or if I do lock my self away and try to work on a page, they FIND ME!!

Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 09-18-12 06:17 AM
In response to ScrappyMama6

What? We can only pick one? Hmm, I can't decide.

kelseymel
Idol
kelseymel
In response to Vae

For me, it's the internet. I'm addicted.

Our power went out for 3 hours one day last week and I got 4 cards done.

pugs223
Idol
pugs223
In response to kelseymel

It's difficult to pick just one but if I have to then it's definitely Time constraints.

April - October is hit or miss with scrappy time because I live in WI and those are our good weather months and I garden and preserve our harvests.

Also, DS is older now so he doesn't go to bed by 8 anymore, which would give me a couple of hours to scrap.

Oh and work. My job definitely gets in the way of my scrappy time

scrappercaz
Governor
scrappercaz
In response to pugs223

I'd say inspiration, at the moment at least.

Manda_K
Queen
Manda_K
In response to scrappercaz

Time, that is my worst enemy when it comes to being able to scrap!

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to Manda_K

I'm on the same page Carolyn is - my problem is inspiration. And add motivation.

I have two pages on my desk right now that I would like to do something with and I'm clueless as to what! One is the arrangement of roses from my kids at mothers day and the other is a copy of the menu from one of our favorite seafood restaurants (in St. Pete) and journaling to start a trip. Going to be very hard to get it to tie together. Also a funny story where my husband picked up the glue roll for my stockings I need when I'm on my feet a lot and thought it was a new deodorant and almost put glue under his armpits.

Guess I will go take pictures of the deodorants and the glue bottle and they could work on the layout.

Seafood paper maybe - I don't know - I have lots of crab and lobster embellies but I don't think I have clams but I never know until I look.

My mind wanders, the internet calls - I'm easily sidetracked. Maybe I will do the flowers and then a title page for the Key West trip and then the first page will be the seafood restaruant in St. Pete on the Way to Key West.

Just not getting into it like I would like too.

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to Henri Jean

nothing. I scrap when I want to,,,,sometimes I'd rather be here. Sometimes I'd rather watch television, and sometimes I'd rather read a book, spend time with my husband and kids, or go to Disney World,,,,,,,but I scrap when I want to,,,,

all my kids are grown and I my work is very flexible and done from home, so I'm lucky that way.

kiyawinn
Guru
kiyawinn
In response to CommaHolly

I wouldn't say that I'm "easily distracted" but there are definitely other pulls on my time....
I run a business with my DH, homeschool my son, am currently taking my mom to chemo and taking care of her.....
I try to get a bit of time on the weekends but that doesn't always happen either...
It's funny too because the times when I am particularly busy and stressed is the exact time when I NEED to scrap!

Alison

pugs223
Idol
pugs223
In response to kiyawinn

• kiyawinn Said:
I wouldn't say that I'm "easily distracted" but there are definitely other pulls on my time....
I run a business with my DH, homeschool my son, am currently taking my mom to chemo and taking care of her.....
I try to get a bit of time on the weekends but that doesn't always happen either...
It's funny too because the times when I am particularly busy and stressed is the exact time when I NEED to scrap!
Alison

THIS for sure. I can tell when I need scrap therapy. Of course, retail therapy helps too. I now have more supplies than I'll probably use in a lifetime but it doesn't keep me out of HL.

GMFTS
GMFTS 
Governor
GMFTS
  • GMFTS on 09-18-12 07:51 AM
In response to pugs223

Wish you offered an "all of the above" or ability to pick multiple choices.

Doreena
Governor
Doreena
In response to ScrappyMama6

• ScrappyMama6 Said:
Are you writing a book?

Kidding!

I think I have INTENTIONS of getting to the scrap room, and the kids, bills, BF, phone, email, the GALLERY HERE etc.....all call my name and I cant get there. Or if I do lock my self away and try to work on a page, they FIND ME!!

ME TOO!!!!!!!!!!

daschweder
Veteran
daschweder
In response to Doreena

Time constraints and easily distracted. I have a lot on my plate right now. I am getting ready for a craft bazaar and that is taking most my time away from scrapping. I have 1 month to get ready for it and that is my top priority for right now. Then after its over with then I will get back to scrapping and finding out what I have to work with.

thehappyscrapper8
Veteran
thehappyscrapper8
In response to daschweder

Time is definitely the issue for me. Two kids and a full time job and trying to start my own business make it very hard to have scrappy time. I am planning on scrapping tonight but you never know. Sometimes after all is said and done I just crash.

moxiegirl23
Queen
moxiegirl23
In response to thehappyscrapper8

Time, but not because of takes a long time to prepare/scrap. I'm transitioning to a new career so I'm working multiple jobs at the moment, plus being the mom, housewife, financial person, shopper, etc that I normally am. I need to study for a life insurance license exam, suppose I should also schedule the exam. Today I was up at 6 (because I slept late), worked as a crosswalk sub from 7:45 to 8:45, merchandised 4 stores for a co-worker who is on vacation from 8:45 to 1, picked up a sick kid 45 minutes ago and I'm about to go back to the crosswalk until 3:15. Then it's home for a bunch of cold calling for a different job and hopefully I'll have some time to eat dinner before I go to the school Open House tonight. next week will be slightly easier because I won't be subbing at either job, but I'm also hoping I'll be booking more client meetings for the afternoons as a result of cold calls. I have 5 projects organized and ready to be worked on, but I don't have the time or energy to work on them.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to moxiegirl23

Oh Liz - don't know how you do it, but I do understand - you do what you have to do.

You are one busy woman but it looks like there is light at the end of the tunnel when you pass the insurance exam!

ncyankee
Queen
ncyankee

My choice isn't there -- LIFE. It gets in the way.

Manda_K
Queen
Manda_K

I have managed to scrap twice this year at a good pace, once at a crop in CO and then this past weekend. Other than that, I have done a page here and a page there, but nothing like I used to.

Between work, home schooling and getting house work done, plus all my migraine issues this year, I haven't had the time that I have had in the past. Hopefully I will be able to eek out more time!

Plus, I got a new DSLR camera, so I want to play with that and see if I can get my photography mojo back!

moxiegirl23
Queen
moxiegirl23

• Henri Jean Said:
Oh Liz - don't know how you do it, but I do understand - you do what you have to do.

You are one busy woman but it looks like there is light at the end of the tunnel when you pass the insurance exam!

I put one foot in front of the other and keep my coffee mug filled! I've got one exam and license accomplished, I just need Life to round out Accident and Health. The light at the end of the tunnel is actual enrollments.

pamela.tx
Guru
pamela.tx

Mine is definitely time constraints! I work full time, and have 2 kiddos actively involved in activities, school activities, helping with homework, and I can't forget the migraines I am been having lately.....the list goes on and on. I haven't been able to find the time to scrapbook as much as I would like.

Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 09-18-12 01:39 PM
In response to pamela.tx

I guess I'm at the same spot as Henri - I stand there looking at pictures for days and have no ideas. No inspiration. I had a 3 day weekend this past weekend and nothing on my to-do list except scrapbook (don't hate me!) and I couldn't come up with a single thing on Friday or Saturday. On Sunday I was finally able to do one single page. One of my friends say I overthink it, but I wish that were the case. Most of the time I just look at the photos and my mind is a total blank!

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly

• moxiegirl23 Said:
  • Henri Jean Said:

I put one foot in front of the other and keep my coffee mug filled! I've got one exam and license accomplished, I just need Life to round out Accident and Health. The light at the end of the tunnel is actual enrollments.

she's being modest. There's an S on her chest.

lisaloveshearts
Veteran
lisaloveshearts
In response to Vae

I kinda feel the same way. I don't feel like my ideas are fancy enough, like my LO's are too simple. I only have basic supplies, no cricuts or sizzix machines.

Edited by elizabeth97 on 09-18-12 02:31 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to lisaloveshearts

I have to admit, after the post I made this morning I decided I was going to do those layouts. One on my mother's day flowers only took 5 minutes once I decided what I wantd to do and I love it! I had one of the pre-bought shaped things - very fancy. The picture in the middle bordered in red and put the shaped thing on a red cardstock and I like it. But I had to force myself to start going through my book of embellies and things I had to hand. Third turn of the page - I had it.

For the other, I decided I didn't want to look at it all day today and tomorrow so made a collage of the upcoming trip to Key West and pulled several pircure from the trip, including a Key West sunset and the menu of the restaruant we ate at on our first night on the road. I titled it "Road Trip". Before this morning I didn't even think about making a title page for Key West.

Done.

Then started 2 more. One is another I pushed around a bit and after this thread I decided I wasn't going to let motivation get in the way. The take out menu (very pretty) from the restaurant and some photos and one paragraph of journaling and it is what I would have done if I had worked on it for a week. Took less than an hour one I focused.

Now I'm on the deodorant layout. No ideas but I took pictures of my deodorant, my husbands and the glue he thought was a 3rd deodorant and would have put it under his armpits if I hadn't stopped him. I have to play with that one but it will be the story and one picture.

Just have to run to Walgreens now and get the 3 deodorant pictures developed.

This thread has made me address the lack of motivation problem and get into the gallery and my file of layouts that I like and pull out patterned papers and start working on them.

I've had to force myself, but I'm quite pleased with the results on the 3 completed and I can't wait to see how the deodorant layout turns out.

dollscrap
Queen
dollscrap

Most of them fit me but I could only narrow it down to two...I am overwhelmed with all my scrapcrap and I am so easily distracted..I have scrappers ADD...oh wait..there is the third one too which is perfectionism. Right now they're all combined and I just cannot scrap...and I've been staring at the same photo and some pretty pps for THREE days....just now I did one of GabrielleP's eggshell mosaic embellies hoping doing SOMETHING...ANYTHING would get me started.
Jarvae's explanation fits me this week

Resident

None of the above.. it is time constraints but now becuase it takes me a long time to prepare and scrap its because I am a single mom with a 2.5 year old and I work 45 hours a week

mrsdriver5
Diva
mrsdriver5
In response to must_love_paper

I think I picked Time Constraints...or maybe Easily Distracted...but all of the answers fit. I don't have as much going on as everyone with kids home, but it also means that since not only my kids, but even most of my grandkids are grown up, I just don't move as fast as I used to. Also I have a full-time hubby home, which is great, but kind of messes up the time sometimes. Plus, there are so many different things I'm working on...designing a kitchen remodel is a biggie right now, but it will be nice once we get it done. Lots of home projects going on that we're trying to get done before our bodies just don't let us do some of them anymore.

However, I'm with Jarvae. I've got one page to finish for one section of my Tahoe album and I just can't figure out what I want to do with it. I've got three pictures staring me in the face and no clue what to do with them.

Henri and others say when they finally do those pages, they're their favorites. Not me. Once I get a brain-blocked page done, I usually hate it, but it's done and I don't want to mess with it anymore.

It's so much easier to shop for new stash, so maybe I'll do that instead...but sometime I have to show something for all the money I spend ~Judy

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to mrsdriver5

Shopping - when ya want to go Judy? That always helps!

Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 09-18-12 06:12 PM

• mrsdriver5 Said:

It's so much easier to shop for new stash, so maybe I'll do that instead...but sometime I have to show something for all the money I spend ~Judy

THIS! LOL!! I have been shopping like CRAZY this summer. I have a TON of stuff but then I FINALLY get an idea for a layout and I just need more rhinestones. Or I just need some black ribbon. Hubby asks what's wrong with the 3 types of black ribbon I already have, and I have to explain that it's not the right width or texture and I have GOT to go to M's RIGHT NOW before it closes. Occasionally he might cautiously casually mention that I might just work from my stash and use all the stuff I already have.

Of course, he always does agree with me after the fact that I really did need that other kind of ribbon or whatever, but I don't know if it's because he really sees the difference or if it's because he's just well trained.

Bottom line though is I think I do it as a way to procrastinate on actually doing my pages. "I can't figure this one out so I'll subconsciously come up with some random reason why I can't, and I'll go shopping instead." and when I get home, the pictures are still there. Staring at me. Waiting. Tapping their foot impatiently.

Eh, I'll get there. Some day.

Luvmyfam
Governor
Luvmyfam

My reason isn't on the list. It's my cat. I totally blame my cat. I can't leaving anything out for even a moment. I leave a layout to go to the bathroom and when I come back, she has stuff stuck to her (and pawprints on the layout). I've tried working in a room with a shut door, but the beast tries to tunnel under the door. So....I only scrap when I have time to get stuff out, play with it, and put it all away. Sometimes it's just not worth the effort.

Acrobat
Tenant
Acrobat

My first thought was "all of the above"
But seriously, I think it depends. At any given time it could be at least one of those.
For me lately though, perfection has become an obstacle of sorts. And I thought I was past that whole feeling.

bj9268 
Resident
In response to Acrobat

It's time constraints and motivation. I noticed I haven't scrapped as much as I have in the past since my mother and father passed away. My mother passed in Aug. 2011 and my father on March 2012. I started to work on my son's school scrapbook but had difficulty getting started. I've was ill last week so I was able to get 3 pages completed. Now I'm the keeper of my mother's pictures she left behind to scan and provide copies for my siblngs. It's kind of over whelming. I'm trying to get back into it again.

Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 09-18-12 07:55 PM
In response to bj9268

• bj9268 Said:
It's time constraints and motivation. I noticed I haven't scrapped as much as I have in the past since my mother and father passed away. My mother passed in Aug. 2011 and my father on March 2012. I started to work on my son's school scrapbook but had difficulty getting started. I've was ill last week so I was able to get 3 pages completed. Now I'm the keeper of my mother's pictures she left behind to scan and provide copies for my siblngs. It's kind of over whelming. I'm trying to get back into it again.

I'm right there with you. My mother passed away in May this year and I have a small storage unit full of pictures and memorabilia from her. Much of it is in really bad condition, so I've been procrastinating on sorting through it. I finally decided to just let it sit there for a while and work on a happy album and I'll just get to that project when I get to it. It was hard for me to come to that decision because at first I felt like I needed to go through all those things right away. But then I thought, if she was still here I wouldn't be going through them now, so I don't need to rush myself.

My thoughts are with you and hoping you can find the motivation again.

NMlady
NMlady 
Governor
NMlady
In response to Vae

My problem is it's been almost a year since I moved in with my mom and I still do not have my supplies, or anything else for that matter, organized. I did get some space cleared off on my table to scrap a few layouts in May but it took forever to track down the supplies I wanted to use since they are in several places.

Tenant

For me it's time, I'm in a relationship that brought 2 kids (one who's 10) so there's school, art, cadets, sport plus my partner doesn't drive (yet) so there's work runs as well. I'm on disability from my depression and use to have tons of spare time. But this kind of busy makes me so happy and fulfilled.

Resident

Right now, I have the time, but need some money to buy supplies!!! I just got inspired for a new project for my daughter. Hopeing I can start on it soon!!!

LeeLo
LeeLo 
Diva
LeeLo
  • LeeLo on 09-19-12 06:32 AM

• elizabeth97 Said:
I kinda feel the same way. I don't feel like my ideas are fancy enough, like my LO's are too simple. I only have basic supplies, no cricuts or sizzix machines.

To be honest, sometimes I feel like I was more creative before I got my Expression or my Big Shot. Don't get me wrong, I love my machines, but I feel like I came up with some cooler ideas before it was so "easy" to just make what I want. I actually scrap less since I bought those...I guess it's a little of all of the options with time being a big one, but sometimes I want to just put those machines away for a while and see what I can come up with!

lisaloveshearts
Veteran
lisaloveshearts
In response to LeeLo

That's really interesting, thanks for saying that to me. I will keep that in mind. I am thinking about buying a dye cut machine.

jellyziva
Governor
jellyziva

• moxiegirl23 Said:

Liz.. you're just amazing!!! I agree with Holly on the S thing... there are a couple of you like this around here...

I picked.. taking long time to ....

Part of that is time-constraint, but then I notice that when i had to finish DD's bday album, I did it right on time, before her bday! So I guess my low incentive these days has nothing to do with others or time or other variables, it is just me.

After the NSD, I had a great few weeks where I got my mojo back and started scrapping again... and I've been encouraged in some various ways and really have no excuse for slacking..

To be honest, I don't know what's wrong with me. I do want to scrap, and I think I should .. but I just don't!?!

Booknook200
Expert
Booknook200

For me, I get overwhelmed by my stuff. Plus, I just can't seem to figure out how to do things, I'll watch youtube videos and look at the galleries, to no avail. Then I look at all my stuff again, and sigh, lol. I do get there eventually.

Kim222
Kim222 
Mayor
Kim222
In response to Booknook200

Time. Not time to prepare, but carving out time to sit in my room and scrap. I have a great room filled with stuff, but when I scrap at home, there always seems to be "one more thing" to do. Have to work on that.

CrimsonMama
Mayor
CrimsonMama
In response to Kim222

Definitly distracted by all sorts of projects around the house. I feel like I have ADD because I jump from one thing to the next.

Tenant
In response to Booknook200

I'm the same way. I love my end results when I create but I am inhibited by a drive to be perfect.

Ursula Schneider
Veteran
Ursula Schneider

For me, it often has to do with how I'm feeling emotionally.

RedSquirrel UK
Diva
RedSquirrel UK
In response to ncyankee

• ncyankee Said:
My choice isn't there -- LIFE. It gets in the way.

^^^ This.

But I voted Easily Distracted, although I'm not. It's just that most things have a closer deadline.

Debbie2006
Resident
Debbie2006
In response to RedSquirrel UK

We moved about a year ago and that fact I cannot even believe....its been a year. I cant say kids as my daughter is a senior at UNO and my husband just left for his two month tour overseas so its just me and our 15 yr old cat. I was feeling sad - missing dh and daughter and I told him I was flipping through my scrapbook magazine and he made a comment that made me think....he said "good I am glad to hear that, scrapbooking always makes you happy". He purchased me a scrapbox when we moved and everything is set up I just need to do it! Thx to all of you for inspiring me to dive back in!

Diva
In response to jellyziva

For me is time as I work full time, energy as I am going thru chemo treatmensts every other week for three days in a row for Colon Cancer and the motivation to sit and do the work. Once I start working on a project, I can't stop until is done. My layouts are simple, but I like them that way. Since I decided that due to money limitations, I will use what I have on hand, I went back to use letter stickers, etc. It is fun to do so! Lots of chipboards and paper that I have accumulated for years! Only go to the stire to buy adhesive!

CSMmom
CSMmom 
Expert
CSMmom
In response to bayamonesa1

Its definitely time. I'm a stay at home mom and this is my first year that all 3 kids are in school 5 days a week. My youngest is in preschool so I only get about 2.5 hrs but its more than I've had in 8 years! We've only been in school 2 weeks so things will settle down but I haven't even managed to use one of my mornings to scrap! The problem is between volunteering at the schools, sports (3 kids play and my dh is VP of the league and the fields coordinator), cub scouts (2 boys in it, dh is den leader and I'm taking over as pack treasurer), homework, taking care of the house, cooking, laundry, bills, grocery shopping, etc and just every day life things/emotions, I find that by the time the house is settled for the night, I'm ready to crash. I tried getting up earlier in the morning but that didn't work well either. Just too tired for anything once life is taken care of. And I'm supposed to be training for a half marathon and that isn't going to well either. Again, its time and energy. I'm going away to a scrap retreat in 3 weeks and I don't know how I'm going to manage to get ready for it.

I'm hopeful that in a couple weeks things will settle down as we get use to the routine and I'll get to have 1 morning a week just for scrapping. 1 of my major issues has been taken care of.

dwelch
dwelch 
Diva
dwelch

CARDS! I almost wish I'd never started them. They go so much faster than a scrapbook page. Every time I sit down to scrapbook and have the slightest block, I make another card instead. I now have a bazillion cards, and haven't done an actual scrapbook page in a couple months!

simplycrafty
Veteran
simplycrafty

I get a lot of of scraping done I just distract myself and start new projects that I don't finish!! I'm trying to work on that!!

mrsdriver5
Diva
mrsdriver5
In response to simplycrafty

This answer has probably been given, but I haven't gone back to re-read all the answers, but as of this afternoon I can give my answer—this forum is keeping me from working on my LOs OK...I'm gonna get busy...as soon as I read one or two more threads~Judy

Seaside Dreams
Veteran
Seaside Dreams

Time, for sure. Between full time work, a family, and graduate school, it's just crazy. I get home and I just want to veg.

I made myself scrap last weekend, and it was great. I think I just have to make it happen, because if I wait for timing, it doesn't.

mj scrappin'
Veteran
mj scrappin'
In response to t-scraps

I saw a response that said the internet and yes...if I spent my time doing rather that collecting ideas of how to do it, I would have a lot more pages done! But my biggest obstacle ihas been a lack of energy. I am feeling better now and have done more pages in the last three months than in the last three years! I have a sleeping disorder and after several sleep study tests, the Dr. has figured out what I need and I have way more energy!

Lamoo12
Governor
Lamoo12

i chose time but not because of how long it takes to make something. it's more lack of time to myself because family/life usually come first.

pamela.tx
Guru
pamela.tx
In response to Lamoo12

• Lamoo12 Said:
i chose time but not because of how long it takes to make something. it's more lack of time to myself because family/life usually come first.

Here, here, sister! I am usually cramming so much for the kiddos and I almost never have time for myself......although I made time yesterday for me(after helping one of my kiddos with a school project). I was only able to finish 1 layout, but I will take it. It might not be much but at least it's a little something.

Mama2Thomas
Pro
Mama2Thomas
In response to pamela.tx

The usual... need to make time for the kids, work, household chores and just found one more...

Following scrapbooking blogs, looking for ideas. Next thing I know, looking online for a sketch turns into an all afternoon affair :-)

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to Mama2Thomas

My main obstacle for not scrapping more is becuase we are away from home so much - sometimes for months at a time!

When I'm actually home, I get a lot of scrap time in.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics