Username Post: Whar do you do when you have too much stuff?        (Topic#1581615)
Mia1979
Diva
Mia1979

I mean paper, embellishments, whatever I feel so swamped and don't know where to begin. I really need to downsize, I have too much stuff. I am not prepared to tackle anything, what the heck do I do????

Here Kitty
Mayor
Here Kitty
In response to Mia1979

Have a give-away?
Gift some to a friend who would like to papercraft?
Donate to a local school or organization?
Have a garage sale?

Cindyckj
Pro
Cindyckj
In response to Mia1979

I move other stuff out of the way to make room for more scrapbooking supplies. lol Since were finally done with cub scouts I moved all my leader stuff into boxes and under the bed it went to make room on the bookshelf for more scrapbooking stuff.

lol May have to more the aquarium to another room someday to make more room. lol

I have a hard time parting with scrapbooking stuff. I keep thinking someday i'll need it.

moxiegirl23
Queen
moxiegirl23
In response to Here Kitty

I was in your position... I stopped spending and made kits until I got my stash to a more manageable size. There's still a bunch of stuff that I don't use, but I'm not ready to get rid of it, so it's off by itself in a corner. I used some of my stash to fund the prize tote for my getaway weekends and donated a bunch of stuff to an art teacher friend for her classrooms.

Mia1979
Diva
Mia1979
In response to Cindyckj

Hi, I'm Mia and I'm addicted to scrapbooking supplies.....

moxiegirl23
Queen
moxiegirl23
In response to Mia1979

• Mia1979 Said:

If you decide that you need "help" and go on Hoarders Buried Alive to deal with your stash, you need to let us all know so we can plan a viewing party...

Cindyckj
Pro
Cindyckj
In response to Mia1979

• Mia1979 Said:

Tell me about it. lol

Being a divorced mom and money being tight I keep telling myself that even if I don't like the 10 year old sheet of scrapbooking paper with a cat bed on it that I haven't figured out how to use that someday i'll figure out how to use it.

and the way my luck is that as soon as I get rid of it that's when i'll need it.

Cindyckj
Pro
Cindyckj
In response to moxiegirl23

• moxiegirl23 Said:
  • Mia1979 Said:

If you decide that you need "help" and go on Hoarders Buried Alive to deal with your stash, you need to let us all know so we can plan a viewing party...

I'm sure we'd all come and help you thin your stash out. lol

Maybe you can find a good storage system to help organize it better so you don't have to thin it out?

Kathy Edwards
Veteran
Kathy Edwards
In response to Cindyckj

Hi, I'm Kathy and I'm addicted to scrapbooking supplies..... and I'm keep it all!!!!!!!!!

Kathy Edwards
Veteran
Kathy Edwards
In response to Kathy Edwards

who said I had to much!!!
no I need that!!!
wait I'll find somewhere for that!!!!
It mine all mine!!!! but if you come over and scrap with I'll share with you.LOL

chocolateaxel
Mayor
chocolateaxel

Oh, you poor thing! There is no such thing as "too much" in the Land of Scrapbooking!

Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 10-10-12 02:47 PM

I'm trying to make kits with mine. Not like perfect kits where I have everything planned out. But what I have learned is that I have a bunch of things and when i look at them, I had a very specific thing in mind when I bought it. Then when I go to make that page, I have forgotten about that thing. So now, I'm looking at my stash first, gathering together things that I got for a particular project or topic, and THEN I will add the pictures and make a page. Otherwise I stand there for hours staring at all my ******** not knowing where to start.

New Kid On the Block
In response to Mia1979

I think that you just have to sit down and go thru each stack and decide if you will realistically use it or not. If you will use it, either make little kits, where the paper and embellishments coordinate or share a theme, or organize it by type of product such as a cardstock section, patterned paper section, stickers, stamps, etc.

Then what you don't want any longer, you can either donate to a woman and children's shelter or sell.

Hope that helps!

dwelch
dwelch 
Diva
dwelch
In response to createwithcare

Organize/label! Even though I have waaaay more stuff than I need, I can put my finger on just what I'm looking for in an instant. Believe me, that really cuts down on the frustration. Of course, I'd be willing to take off your hands what you can't use!

Pouncedeleon
Veteran
Pouncedeleon
In response to moxiegirl23

• moxiegirl23 Said:
I was in your position... I stopped spending and made kits until I got my stash to a more manageable size. There's still a bunch of stuff that I don't use, but I'm not ready to get rid of it, so it's off by itself in a corner. I used some of my stash to fund the prize tote for my getaway weekends and donated a bunch of stuff to an art teacher friend for her classrooms.

How do I make kits?

kiyawinn
Guru
kiyawinn
In response to Pouncedeleon

• Lunareclipse Said:
  • moxiegirl23 Said:

How do I make kits?

Making kits is just putting pp and cardstock, embellishments, photo mats etc. together to make a page sometime in the future. Everything matches and is all together. Lots of people make kits to take to crops so you don't have to take your whole scraproom with you to the crop....
You can add a page design with it if you like and put the whole thing in a plastic bag so it's ready to go....

Alison

kiyawinn
Guru
kiyawinn
In response to Mia1979

I have lots of stuff myself....I think scrapbookers tend to buy lots and hoard lots...haven't met a scrapbooker yet that has been doing it awhile and doesn't have tons of stuff!

I don't like clutter, though....I go through my stash once a year and weed out old stuff, things I no longer like or wonder why I bought in the first place.....
I sometimes sell stuff in my LSS garage sale (they have one twice a year) or donate to our children's hospital.

I like feeling that everything I have, I really love....I can't hold onto things just for the sake of holding on to them. I just got to the point where I could look at an item and ask, "Do I really love this?" instead of asking "will I ever use this?"
The former is more likely to make me throw it away, the latter will make me hold onto it in case I can ever use it....

Everything is really organized as well. Everything is in bins, labelled on shelves so I know where everything is. If a bin is getting too full, I know it's time to start weeding....
I work better when I'm happy with everything I have as well...
The big plus to weeding stuff out once a year or so is that I can BUY MORE STUFF!

Alison

ncyankee
Queen
ncyankee
In response to kiyawinn

I sent a ton of stuff to the art teacher at my son's school --- she was beyond thrilled.

I gave lots of stickers to the little girl next door -- kept her pretty busy.

Luvmyfam
Governor
Luvmyfam
In response to Mia1979

• Mia1979 Said:
I mean paper, embellishments, whatever I feel so swamped and don't know where to begin. I really need to downsize, I have too much stuff. I am not prepared to tackle anything, what the heck do I do????

Easy.....start using it! Pick up the nearest item and start scrapping with it. Don't buy anything new until you make a considerable dent!

This comes from my "Do as I say, not as I do" collection

Kathy Edwards
Veteran
Kathy Edwards
In response to chocolateaxel

I say amen to that!!! Thanks you know me so well!!!! LOL

KellyCali
Governor
KellyCali

1. (If it's not already organized)...organize it!...Clutter can be a major mojo-stealer! Sometimes you have to clean it/sort it before you can create. And more often than not, cleaning/organizing/purgi ng produces inspiration.

2. If you don't plan on keeping it all, donate it, swap it, sell it, use it or do without.

3. Shop your own stash! Resist the urge to buy another single thing (except adhesive). Use it up!

Tips...

- If you have too much 12x12 paper, cut it down

- Make mini albums

- Make cards

- Use your punches to use up scraps

- etc!

Hope That Helps & Good Luck!

p.s. Like almost everyone else here, I have waay too much stuff as well. I simply stopped buying things & trust me, I still have a long way to go before I just might need another item of any sort!

Diva

I do spcecial projects to donate, cards, bookmarks, mini albums, etc. All for donations and I will use what I have, Ony buying adhesive. This way I am getting rid of paper that I will not use in my pages, lots of letter stickers and other chipboard.

t-scraps
Expert
t-scraps
In response to bayamonesa1

Stop buying and stop looking. If you don't see it, you won't want it.

Join some Challenges on the Interactive Fun thread. There are some that you use specific colors/items. That will help you stay focused.

When your stash is down to a manageable size, don't buy stuff just cause you like it. Take the photos you want to scrap to the store with you and only purchase items for those layouts.

elsje2
elsje2 
Expert
elsje2

I have a friend who just started to scrap and it is a good place to bring all the items I will not be using! He needs to start somewhere with collecting, so why not help him out?

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean

I'm part of one scrapbook group that is very involved with breast cancer awareness and does a lot to raise money for them. In fact the $5 we pay for the crop every month goes to breast cancer awareness.

They have a big sale every year and I donate anything I don't think I will use to them to help raise money for breast cancer awareness. Since my mom is a breast cancer survivor I have no trouble going through my stuff and taking a nice stack of things I'm not going and dontate it when I go to the monthly crops.

And I enjoy scrapping so much more when I'm not totally overwhelmed - I just like the stuff I really love around me. If I'm not going to use it I get rid of it.

arteshamac
Queen
arteshamac
In response to Henri Jean

I have wayyyyy too much stuff as well! A lot of it I had before I became a member of scrapbook.com. I have learned to start buying kits. Someone mentioned making kits. That's an awesome idea! My main problem is that I can't pass up CLEARANCE scrapbook items! I don't want to get rid of anything, though. I am having a storage issue. I feel as if I get my organization under control, I won't feel so overwelmed by all of the stuff I have. So...I really can't help you, Mia! I may be in WORSE shape than you! LOL!

arteshamac
Queen
arteshamac
In response to Mia1979

Hi, Mia. I'm Artesha and I'm addicted to buying scrapbook items on CLEARANCE! Pleased to meet you:) LOL!

arteshamac
Queen
arteshamac
In response to createwithcare

creater1
Diva
creater1
In response to arteshamac

I challenge myself by saying that I can't go shopping or even look at new stuff until I have completed so many LO's (even at that I still can't tell I used anything)usually by then I am still in a gotta use it mode and feel so good about using up some on my stash that I just want to keep going.
Then old habits creep back in and I find myself shopping but usually for less stuff and for something specific.
I also find that because I have too much stuff to choose from that it does distract me from being creative. Lots of times I will just grab a specific paper pad or single pp and embellies that all coordinate put them in a organizer and that is all that I will work from.
Once I whittle that down I restock and start again.
I find that I am more cretive when I have less choices.
It is like putting some the toys away that your children don't play with and then when you rotate them they act like they have never played with them before. HTH

arteshamac
Queen
arteshamac

Oh, and I rarely use flat stickers anymore, so I gave them to a little girl at the beauty shop who is a beginner scrapper. That thinned out a little dent in my stash, but I still have wayyy too much stuff! Mia, thanks for posting this in the forum. The ladies gave ME a lot of helpful tips, too. I need to STOP buying and start using because I feel like I have some GREAT stuff already. I just need to USE it!

KellyCali
Governor
KellyCali
In response to t-scraps

• t-scraps Said:
Stop buying and stop looking. If you don't see it, you won't want it.

This!

• t-scraps Said:
Take the photos you want to scrap to the store with you and only purchase items for those layouts.

This is how I hope to someday scrap! Not only do I think I would enjoy shopping more (with a focused purpose)...But, I also think I would be much more productive (with much better seen results!)

Mia1979
Diva
Mia1979

I went to Michaels and I found NOTHING! In the last few weeks, I haven't seen anything thrilling there--- probably because I have more than enough. So I have been picking small items off Ebay or online shopping. I'm so overwhelmned @ the thought of organizing and downsizing. I do challanges monthly but it doesn't seem to make a dent as I keep buying. Sigh.....I will get it together. My weakness is paper, letter stickers and butterfly stamps :).... HELP ME!

arteshamac
Queen
arteshamac
In response to Mia1979

My weakness is pretty paper, Thickers, and stamps and anything on CLEARANCE! So rest assure that you are not alone! I need to organize my stuff. I get so overwhelmed at times that it slows down my scrapping. I really need to stay out of Hobby Lobby! I haven't found anything at Michael's the past few times that I have been.

arteshamac
Queen
arteshamac

Last week, I found a $15.00 distresser on clearance for $5.00 at Hobby Lobby. Because I have been wanting one,I don't feel so bad about that purchase:) Shrugs shoulders...I need more tools:)

Bev1
Bev1 
Guru
Bev1
  • Bev1 on 10-11-12 07:43 AM
In response to Luvmyfam

All these years I've heard you can never have to much stuff:)

GIGIGI30
Expert
GIGIGI30
In response to KellyCali

• KellyCali Said:
1. (If it's not already organized)...organize it!...Clutter can be a major mojo-stealer! Sometimes you have to clean it/sort it before you can create. And more often than not, cleaning/organizing/purgi ng produces inspiration.

2. If you don't plan on keeping it all, donate it, swap it, sell it, use it or do without.

3. Shop your own stash! Resist the urge to buy another single thing (except adhesive). Use it up!

Tips...

- If you have too much 12x12 paper, cut it down

- Make mini albums

- Make cards

- Use your punches to use up scraps

- etc!

Hope That Helps & Good Luck!

p.s. Like almost everyone else here, I have waay too much stuff as well. I simply stopped buying things & trust me, I still have a long way to go before I just might need another item of any sort!

^This! I haven't buy anything new in months 'cause I've made the decision of shopping my own stash and use what I already have except for last month when I got new stuff for my SS in a swap here. I know, it's hard as it is but it feels so good when you complete a mini album, card or LO all from your scraps!

t-scraps
Expert
t-scraps
In response to KellyCali

• t-scraps Said:
Take the photos you want to scrap to the store with you and only purchase items for those layouts.

This is how I hope to someday scrap! Not only do I think I would enjoy shopping more (with a focused purpose)...But, I also think I would be much more productive (with much better seen results!)

That's how my sister used to shop til I brought her over to the dark side! Now she stores some of her scrapbook stuff at my house.

t-scraps
Expert
t-scraps
In response to t-scraps

I just saw an October Hoarder's Challenge in the Challenges forum under Interactive Fun. Maybe we should all join it!

arteshamac
Queen
arteshamac
In response to GIGIGI30

So there IS hope for me! LOL! I will make a conscious effort to use all of my scraps before I buy new embellies and paper...

scrappy_day
Idol
scrappy_day

I actually have been making Christmas gifts with things I already own. Granted I have to buy small things to complete the gifts, most of it all came from my stash.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to scrappy_day

I guess I am fortunate that the words "sale" and "clearance" hold no attraction for me. When I buy things on "sale" or "clearance" is when I am most likely to buy things I don't want or need.

I have the apps on my phone for Michaels, Joanns and Hobby Lobby and I do use their coupoons.

But I know from experience, the scrap supplies I don't use, the food in my pantry that is out of date, the clothes in my closet I don't wear - most were on sale or clearance. Seldom to I purchase sale or clearance - its seldom what I want or will use or will wear.

I will buy one thing I really want rather than a shopping basket full of clearance things I think I might use at the moment but in reality, will never use.

If I am looking for a particular item and it is on sale - I will buy it at the lower price (like my Big Shot) but I will not look at clearance or sale items to see what jumps out at me - because I will come home with some and it will end up being donated somewhere.

A sale or clearance item is only worth buying to me if I would have really wanted it at the full price too. If not, then I really don't want it at the reduced price.

Can't help it - that is just the way my brain works. I learned as a teenager making baby-sitting money that I'd rather have one really nice blouse that I really really wanted than 2 or 3 less expensive ones that I didn't like as well. To this day - that is still my mindset.

kiyawinn
Guru
kiyawinn

Totally agree, Henri! That is why I purge my stuff once per year....I do buy stuff that I don't end up using and I'd rather get rid of it (to someone that WILL use it) and have just the stuff there that I know I will use!
Just like those clothes in your closet that you won't wear....I would rather get rid of those rolls of ribbon that I won't use and make room for the ones I really will use.....

Alison

arteshamac
Queen
arteshamac

The words "clearance" or "sale" get me in trouble every time because it is ALWAYS something AWESOME and I do use it! It's just so much! LOL! But now I need to use of all of the awesomeness that I have so I can downsize my stash:) I need to make a conscious effort to stay away from the clearance aisle. Great advice, Henri:) Thank you.

Mia1979
Diva
Mia1979
In response to t-scraps

• t-scraps Said:
I just saw an October Hoarder's Challenge in the Challenges forum under Interactive Fun. Maybe we should all join it!

I tried, LOL but I don't feel like going through the stuff. Hahahaha. Is there any hope for meeee

RedSquirrel UK
Diva
RedSquirrel UK
In response to Mia1979

When my stash outgrew my tiny corner, I set myself a "no-buy challenge". That meant that I had to complete so many LOs and so many cards (I think I set 50 LOs and 100 cards, but it is up to you) without buying anything except adhesive. Then I added page protectors and albums to the list of exceptions, because I had a heap of LOs with nowhere to put them. I ran out of white card-stock and made myself use the colours instead.

It worked. And because so many of them were cards, that meant that a lot of my stuff left the house rather than just getting moved from stash to albums.

While I was "stash-starving", I allowed myself virtual shopping with wishlists, but I wasn't allowed to buy until I had finished the challenge. No hexagon punch? Too bad - I had to cut my own hexagons by hand. It wasn't difficult. When I finished my target, I discovered that most of the stuff I had put on my wishlist when I was going through withdrawals, I no longer wanted. Interesting huh?

But yes, I'm afraid you do have to get organised first. You have to treat your stash like a store, and know where everything is, so that you can find it all and use it.

Shall I come and give you a hand? I LOVE organising scrapping goodies!

Diva
In response to RedSquirrel UK

Same with me. I was able to visit Michaels yesterday and walked away with nothing in my hands! It was a true miracle!

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean

I'm the exact opposite. I'm old enough that I'm retired, I've payed into the system for a lifetime and now get a nice social security check and don't have a penny of bills coming out of it so if I want something, I treat myself to it and if I have way too much - its okay as long as I love the stuff I have and plan to use it.

I've never been in this position before and I'm enjoying it so I don't want to put myself on budgets or restrictions.

I just beware of sales and clearance where I get things impulsively that I'm not going to use or want because my personal history tells me that is the stuff I mostly don't use and wonder why I bought it.

I love to purge and get rid of stuff, give it to someone else who may use it. That makes me feel good too.

But even though I have thousands of pieces of patterned paper, if I see some more I love, I will get them. I may never use them but a young mother who is the daughter of one of my best friends will get everything when I die and and with 3 kids - she will use them!

I am finding though that I buy fewer and fewer tools and less and less inks. My weakness in patterned paper and pre-made diecuts. I go nuts over those and buy them on line almost always.

If I see a punch or nestie or embossing folder I want I get it, but very few really jump out at me anymore.

I seldom use my Cricut carts but still pick up a new Cricket cart or Slice cart from time to time, but in 4 years I've only bought 12 Cricut carts. Its not the tools that grab me - its the paper and cute die cuts.

I frequently go to Michaels or Hobby Lobby or Joanns and come home with nothing because there wasn't really anything I fell in love with - no new papers and nothing else I really wanted.

Rosey - I love organizing my scrap stuff too. Its as much fun as actually using it!

I also put wishlists on line and when the get really high - $200 or $300 I go through them before I push send and sometimes almost half are things I don't really want anymore and take them off. I do that with Amazon and other sites I buy online from too. I let the balance get up there before ordering and then I've lost interest in some of it.

Diva

You do really have self-control! I need some therapy!

Gelidy Gelato
Diva
Gelidy Gelato

What works for me is have a handy "ready to donate" box and when I come across things I don't ever see myself using into the box they go. If I have duplicates, I force myself to hold onto only the best. Example: "red, white & blue" patriotic themed items. Sure it's great to have some in your stash but how many 4th of July pages will I ever make? So instead of keeping the 25 odd items I had, I narrowed it down to the best 5.

Then about every 6 months or so I pack up my donate box and actually donate it. I have NEVER regretting giving away anything.

Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 10-12-12 09:57 AM

• Henri Jean Said:
I love organizing my scrap stuff too. Its as much fun as actually using it!

THIS!!

Kim222
Kim222 
Mayor
Kim222
In response to Gelidy Gelato

• Gelidy Gelato Said:
What works for me is have a handy "ready to donate" box and when I come across things I don't ever see myself using into the box they go. If I have duplicates, I force myself to hold onto only the best. Example: "red, white & blue" patriotic themed items. Sure it's great to have some in your stash but how many 4th of July pages will I ever make? So instead of keeping the 25 odd items I had, I narrowed it down to the best 5.

Then about every 6 months or so I pack up my donate box and actually donate it. I have NEVER regretting giving away anything.

THIS is a GREAT idea!! I am going to start a donate box in my room!!

I can't throw things away, but I have no problem giving them away to someone that will use them.

Thanks for helping me clean up my scrap room

Kim222
Kim222 
Mayor
Kim222
In response to Vae

• Jarvae Said:
  • Henri Jean Said:
I love organizing my scrap stuff too. Its as much fun as actually using it!

THIS!!

What they said!!

Manda_K
Queen
Manda_K
In response to Kim222

I try to be as organized as possible....which for me, isn't very organized.

Also, I really don't buy A LOT of scrap stuff anymore, just my monthly kit from Swirlydoos and the occasional pack of Prima flowers. I think once you have scrapped for so long, you hit a supply plateau. Well, so to speak. I still buy inks.

LeeLo
LeeLo 
Diva
LeeLo
  • LeeLo on 10-12-12 11:11 AM

• arteshamac Said:
Hi, Mia. I'm Artesha and I'm addicted to buying scrapbook items on CLEARANCE! Pleased to meet you:) LOL!

You are SO me! I have the hardest time passing up on something that is on clearance! I have had to learn to really analyze it and ask myself if I am REALLY gonna use it. No matter what the price tag, it's too expensive if it is something that I do not need or would never use!

I have way too much stuff! It is semi organized, but I feel like I've wasted so much money buying stuff that I didn't really need (or because it was on clearance...ha ha). I think it started out because I needed to build up a stash. I didn't have much at all but I kept buying and buying and now I don't even have room to work on it! Also, lately I've been getting into digital scrapping...if only I'd really discovered that a long time ago! It's so much less messy and takes up so much less room. I just can't let go of the actual supplies though.

Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 10-12-12 11:45 AM
In response to Manda_K

• Manda_K Said:
I try to be as organized as possible....which for me, isn't very organized.

Also, I really don't buy A LOT of scrap stuff anymore, just my monthly kit from Swirlydoos and the occasional pack of Prima flowers. I think once you have scrapped for so long, you hit a supply plateau. Well, so to speak. I still buy inks.

I did kind of hit my limit for the summer. I still check the usual suspects during lunch breaks and whatnot but I find myself not really wanting anything in the stores. I have a harder time with online shopping because there are still so many cute things out there.

I'm addicted to patterned papers and die cuts as well, but I also like trying new techniques and tools and stuff. I put myself on a spending freeze at the beginning of this month and I am going to try to not buy things between now and Christmas so I can use up my stash. I find that when I get frustrated with a page and it's not coming together for me, my first instinct is that I need something I don't have and I must go to the store right now! But I know that I'm just stalling and now I'm trying to push myself through it. It's hard, but fun too.

fknapoleon
Pro
fknapoleon
In response to Vae

I have to clean out my scrap space cause we'll be moving in a few short months. I've cleaned out my scrap space twice in the last four years and that's nothing to compared what other people do.

My suggestion is to be honest with yourself. Sure it's nice to have three feet of paper. But if you don't know half of what you have, and you just go out and buy more, what's the point? So one day pick up a half inch of paper and go through it, deciding which paper you actually see yourself using. Donate the rest. Next day, another stack of paper.

Donate, donate, donate!! There are so many avenues that would love the supplies and will be well used. The last clear-out went to my church and guess what? The next Sunday I recognized the paper from my donated stash. It was awesome seeing that the items were actually being used.

As for items, you "might use," make page kits. Page kits are easy to make. Or make a fun blank album. You can give the album as a gift, use your supplies, and have someone benefit all in one.

Lamoo12
Governor
Lamoo12

There is a group on facebook called S.H.A. Scrapbook Hoarders Anonymous. The whole purpose of the group is to sell/buy scrapbook things. Maybe you can put some things on there.

http://www.facebook.com/groups/32306322109126 5/

dollscrap
Queen
dollscrap

I give stuff to my sister and then friends and leftovers I usually take to the retreats I attend for the trade table...anything left over the hostess gives away to different groups and charities.

When I have too much stuff, which I usually do, I forget what I have. I'll come across some cute embelly or pp and think geez I coulda used that on this or that layout. I've even been known to buy something I already have. However I continue to shop for more scrapcrap.

Pouncedeleon
Veteran
Pouncedeleon
In response to Mia1979

• Mia1979 Said:

You can never have too much stuff...unless your great dane can get lost in it...

timon
timon 
Veteran
timon
  • timon on 10-12-12 08:14 PM

too much stuff? is there ever such a thing as too much stuff? just reorganize and make room

Mia1979
Diva
Mia1979
In response to timon

I will try!!!

CorrieW
Guru
CorrieW
In response to timon

Lol I just got raided by DD's friend. My dd was upstairs asking to use something and her friend helped herself to some of my good stuff. We had a talk and I have lots but I wouldn't want it happening again.

anda11
anda11 
Governor
anda11
In response to Mia1979

organizing really helped me maintain my huge stash. I agree with the others... there is no such thing as too much. lol

pugs223
Idol
pugs223
In response to t-scraps

• t-scraps Said:

• t-scraps Said:

This is what I realized in the past week as I am trying to put page kits together for my upcoming weekend crop....

I have a lot of stuff (not going to say TOO much, but yes, it probably is), the stuff is pretty and I like/love most of it. HOWEVER, the pretty paper that I just had to have doesn't match any photos I want to work on.

Based on how I scrap, I really need to buy supplies based on the pics. I am more of a themed scrapper, meaning my paper and embellies have to match the theme of pics. I've always been that way and don't see myself changing. So while that pack of distressed/vintage/steamp unk is wonderful and on my shelf, it doesn't match the photos of my DS learning to ride his bike without training wheels to me.

So once I use up some of my stash and get my pictures more organized, I am going to attempt to shop that way.

The pp that I have had for 10 years that I'm sick of looking at will remain in my stash because I know the stacks by heart and actually just pulled a sheet for a LO I'm going to do. It's also great for cards. And furthermore, most styles/colors come back around again right? At least that's what I'm telling myself.

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny
In response to pugs223

• pugs223 Said:
  • t-scraps Said:

• t-scraps Said:

This is what I realized in the past week as I am trying to put page kits together for my upcoming weekend crop....

I have a lot of stuff (not going to say TOO much, but yes, it probably is), the stuff is pretty and I like/love most of it. HOWEVER, the pretty paper that I just had to have doesn't match any photos I want to work on.

Based on how I scrap, I really need to buy supplies based on the pics. I am more of a themed scrapper, meaning my paper and embellies have to match the theme of pics. I've always been that way and don't see myself changing. So while that pack of distressed/vintage/steamp unk is wonderful and on my shelf, it doesn't match the photos of my DS learning to ride his bike without training wheels to me.

I am also heavy into using the theme of the pictures, but for me, steampunk stuff has been really great for bicycling stuff because of all the gears.

pugs223
Idol
pugs223
In response to aquabunny

Aquabunny - OK I agree on that one. Maybe the bike riding was a bad example...

...off to check if I picked paper for those pics yet.

Nani17 
New Kid On the Block
In response to pugs223

I thought "she who dies with the most scrapbooks stuff wins."

When I'm in a scrapbook store, which there is no reason for because I do my regular scrapbooks digital, but when I'm in a scrapbook store, I will always pick up anything with a chocolate, coffee or baseball theme. Really, how many coffee pages will I ever do? I've decided to start a Smash Book with all of the paper and embellishments I've had sitting in my craft room for 5 years. Only problem is I need covers and binding for my Smash-style book and I'm already thinking about the other supplies I'll "need" for my new project!

-Nani

Castle Scrapper
Diva
Castle Scrapper

I had a friend who was a miisionary at an orphanage. They gladly took any leftover supplies as they make a scrapbook for every child. I cleaned out my stash and sent it to her. Teachers, senior centers, daycares would also appreciate extra supplies.

charK
charK 
Mayor
charK
  • charK on 10-14-12 11:41 AM
In response to Castle Scrapper

Another good place to donate are catholic schools. I switched to digital and gave ALL of my paper scrapping stuff to the school. Tools, cutters, pp, stamps, everything. I tell you it was such a relief. I went to this particular school for 8 years and my 2 grandgirls are going there now.

arteshamac
Queen
arteshamac
In response to fknapoleon

Thanks for the idea to make page kits. This would save me a lot of time and would probably save me the trouble of finding the cute embellie for a particular layout AFTER the page is complete.

arteshamac
Queen
arteshamac

I have also started buying things in kits since I have joined this website. That has been really helpful, as well. But since I can't part with my pre scrapbook.com pp's then I will make kits...

Mia1979
Diva
Mia1979

I have a couple boxed SEI kits that I havent used much if any. But I have been looking @ the Studio Calico kits and they are cute I just havent purchased any before.

arteshamac
Queen
arteshamac
In response to Mia1979

Where do you get Studio Calico kits from? This website? You know I still have soooo much to learn and I love learning from everyone on this site!

Diva
In response to timon

Funny...no matter how much you have, most of the time you don't the "perfect" thing for that "page...so you have to go and get it!

arteshamac
Queen
arteshamac

So true...lol!

Tenant

I have given up worrying abou the size of my stash.....I don't drink, I don't smoke, I don't overindulge in expensive takeaways or junk food. What I do do....is shop for scrappy supplies. It's what makes me happy.

In the past I tried the no buying challenge and failed. That was until I refined it for me. What I do is to pay myself for completed layouts and cards.
This money goes into a tin for when I do have a spend up. I pay myself $2 for a layout and 50c for a card. ( now generally my layouts cost about $10 ....so you can see how this system has a dwindling effect on my supplies) adhesives and album supplies do not count...they are free purchases, ie not out of the tin .

I also teach classes weekly, so those supplies are exempt as well......but I just buy what I need to teach....no extras unless I have scrapped layout $ into the bank.
Make sense? Works for me....gives me incentive to scrap, but I am not having to wait til the magical number of layouts has been completed that the other system people use has.

I find a lot of my layouts I do are quite product heavy.....and I often use ugly paper from my "what on earth was I thinking?" Pile to build the layers on top of.

Diva
In response to kiwifarmer

I like your system! Makes sense. Funny way to look at having so much stuff....

ajsophios62
Diva
ajsophios62
In response to Mia1979

Look at schools , kindys or nursing homes ect. Get your friends together or make up kits as gifts. Or have a garage sale ...

DittoBabyGirl
Governor
DittoBabyGirl
In response to ajsophios62

I don't worry about having too much stuff. You can't ever really have TOO much scrappy stuff lol

I do periodically go thru my stash. The stuff I don't want I give to my coworker for her daughter who scraps

Juansmom
Idol
Juansmom
In response to DittoBabyGirl

Thanks Donna, for resurrecting this post, even if it was only a few weeks ago.

I just received an email from Creating Keepsakes Magazine (I subscribe by mail and digitally to the mag) inviting me to join the webinar, Organizational Bootcamp, they are offering (Starts tonite!).

It is hosted by the woman who invented the Scraprack, a way to organize embellies, but you don't have to own or purchase one to benefit from this webinar.

You can google Scraprack Organization Bootcamp and click on the link with Tiffany Spauldings name, will bring you to a page where you can register. She is basically gonna get you to organize your staash, craft room, whatever, so it is easy to find stuff and workable, and, purge the stuff you (gulp) no longer need/want.

There is also a facebook page that you can join with the group. Check it out, if anyone wants the link, PM me!

Katydidd
Veteran
Katydidd

Host a challenge and have some of your stash be the prize. Or I'd be happy to take some of it off your hands too. Lol!

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to Katydidd

Someone mentioned that you can't use a 3' stack of patterned paper or even know what you have.

My stack is between 4' and 5' if I actually stacked it up. And about 3' of cardstock right now.

I can put my hand on every piece. I have scrapped about 450-500 pages this year, possibly more when the year is over. I use it.

I buy it separately, not in packs or stacks so each piece I have has been personally and indivisually selected with the idea that I will use it one day.

It is not uncommon for me to scrap 10-12 hours in a day several days a week. And I like having everything to go with whatever I am scrapping. I have at least 150 pages I want to scrap now and it is my goal to complete them by the end of December.

So for me, a huge stash is important.

flutterbye0419
Diva
flutterbye0419

sadly, i don't have that issue, but what i have is starting to grow again. i think that if i were to have that problem, the solution for me would be great organization. if it's organized, where i can find everything, inspiration for getting going isn't hard at all. right now i scrap at my kitchen table, but am hoping that will change soon. i have gotten everything a place to belong, but it's not pretty. i have most everything in totes, but it's what works for now. my stack including cardstock is about 3 inches tall only because most of my supplies got ruined in our last move, but i do have quite a bit on the way, and after christmas, that should be changing to around 1.5 feet i have a lot of scraps that i can use, and can't wait to get that started

Veteran
In response to flutterbye0419

I became a Close To My Heart consultant in 2008 causing me to have one room with other brands of supplies and then in my scraproom I have CTMH products. It's crazy! I have gotten rid of some of my older stuff but some of it's so adorable I can't get rid of it. Swap things....now that's another issue. I started doing swaps about 8 years ago and I have so many things from those that I haven't used. I think I just might have to quit working and scrapbook all day! LOL

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics