Username Post: If you select Products Used in your Gallery Postings....THANK YOU!        (Topic#1582949)
CrimsonMama
Mayor
CrimsonMama

Some of the beginners here made me think of this last night....asking questions what to buy.

I've decided on many of items that I wanted to buy and use or techniques to learn, from the LO's posted in the gallery here. When I see something amazing or a collection I like, I tend to save it in my Wish List to mull it over. I also save that LO to my FAVES.

On the otherhand, if it's a LO I like and the artist did NOT list the products used, it sort of frustrates me! LOL!

So THANK YOU if you do. Personally, I do it for myself so I have a record of what I did later on.

Vicki

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 11-28-12 01:20 PM
In response to CrimsonMama

I do it if I can - I don't always remember what I used (sometimes it takes me weeks or even months to finish an LO), and I often use products that aren't in the store here. I'm sure most of us wouldn't mind a PM if you're interested in knowing

Sneezy1956
Guru
Sneezy1956
In response to stick

I'm like Flappers I try to do it

Doreena
Governor
Doreena
In response to Sneezy1956

Same here!

CrimsonMama
Mayor
CrimsonMama
In response to Doreena

I actually keep a list as I go so I can record it for myself, I know that's a little anal!

Juansmom
Idol
Juansmom

I try to, sometimes I forget the brand of paper, or cant locate the punch, or its a CM product or something...but I also find it helpful in the gallery to see what people used, and HOW! I saw someones work, and she used punches together that I NEVER thought would work together!! Her LOs were inspiring! Now to just remember her name...

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny
In response to Juansmom

I list all my products in the description even if I can't actually link them. I actually started doing it for posting my layouts on Facebook (where I typically post them first), and then copied the descriptions when adding my layouts here (since all my layouts go to Facebook, but only selected ones here).

CrimsonMama
Mayor
CrimsonMama
In response to Juansmom

I know exactly what you mean! I've noticed punches that I have...used in ways I would never think about! Very inspirational.

flutterbye0419
Diva
flutterbye0419

i do try to remember to do it, but most of my scrap supplies aren't in the store, so when I can I include in the description....

cindy312
Diva
cindy312
In response to aquabunny

• aquabunny Said:
I list all my products in the description even if I can't actually link them.

Me too!

Luvmyfam
Governor
Luvmyfam
In response to cindy312

I try, but I haven't shopped for new goodies in a long time. I've been using bits and pieces from my stash, and remembering where things come from is impossible. When I do know where something comes from, it's no longer available!

But....I get what you are saying, Vicki. I love when people take the time to link or list the products they use.

RedSquirrel UK
Diva
RedSquirrel UK
In response to Luvmyfam

I try to, but mostly the products aren't available any more. I'm not exactly a trendy scrapper. And I am guilty of keeping beautiful things to stroke and smile at instead of actually using - until they are out of production.

IzzyB
IzzyB 
Mayor
IzzyB
  • IzzyB on 11-29-12 05:19 AM
In response to RedSquirrel UK

I love when people link the products. I am easily enabled! I try to link mine too.

Diva
In response to IzzyB

I have a wish list of things that I like but most of the time the coupons from Michaels and JoANn and HL make me get things on the spot. Local Srapbooking stores offer me specialty products so I don't have to wait for delivery.

OlesyaK.
Diva
OlesyaK.
In response to bayamonesa1

I"m adding my thank-yous to the voices here!! lots of times i'd buy something for one project or because I like it (dies or papers or blings) and then search it on the store to check out how else did people use it - sometimes finding unexpected and super creative ideas!!! Now if we could only search through the favorites first - i've started adding products I have to the favorites so there's an easy way to look them up. (instead of going - hmm now I remember this was a K&company paper stash but what was the name of the pack?)

CrimsonMama
Mayor
CrimsonMama
In response to OlesyaK.

I list products I get elsewhere but isn't it nice when its in the SB.com superstore (even discontinued) and there can be a photo of it? I really love that feature. Very smart of them in selling product. I've made lots of buying decisions that way and I truely think I have not made many (if any) buying mistakes.

Incidentally, here in the forum too if you have a question about a product, you can search it in the superstore to get feedback.

Anyway, I wanted to thank the folks that take the time to do it because it does take time and thought but it is helpful.

GMFTS
GMFTS 
Governor
GMFTS
  • GMFTS on 11-29-12 07:05 AM
In response to OlesyaK.

I mentioned the same thing the other day in another thread. I find it very helpful to have that info for all of the reasons mentioned here.

TO all of you who say you don't remember or you got your products elsewhere:
There is a section for other products!!! No excuses ok? ()

Please - if you don't remember for sure or at all just say so...it will save time.

To help me when I am uploading I just keep the lo on the desk next to me...sometimes I even list on the back of the lo the product name or company ...

Roosterhead designs
Mayor
Roosterhead designs
In response to GMFTS

I SO appreciate links or descriptions!! Thanks to all who use them~

Doreena
Governor
Doreena

• RedSquirrel Said:
I try to, but mostly the products aren't available any more. I'm not exactly a trendy scrapper. And I am guilty of keeping beautiful things to stroke and smile at instead of actually using - until they are out of production.

LOL! "Stroke and smile at"... I totally pictured this! Too funny!

Doreena
Governor
Doreena
In response to Doreena

My problem is I hate packaging so I throw it away and then when I use it I can't remember the name of the product! SOmetimes I get lucky and I remember enough that I can do a search and find it... or it's a product I've used before and I can go back to a previous layout and find the name because of my linking it there...
For the most part I would say I do a pretty good job.
I just wish I could figure out a less time consuming way to keep track on the items before I toss the packaging... I don't need that process to turn into a big project too!

Sneezy1956
Guru
Sneezy1956
In response to Doreena

Since i color with copics I love when people say what colors they have used so I can try to reproduce the same colors. I try to put mine up but don't always know because I color almost every night and some times its months before I make a card out of a stamp.

CrimsonMama
Mayor
CrimsonMama

"Stroke and Smile At"
I totally get that because I have a huge stash of K & Company Flora and Fauna, including the album! Haven't used any of it yet! Not sure what I will use if for! I love it love it love it! One day I will plan something for it!

I call this Hoarding!

I do now have an inventory list of most of my printed paper and even some of the cardstock....to refer to, but as I am making my LO I have to write down what I used on a small pad or sicky or even the back of the LO.

dancinirish90
Angel
dancinirish90

• CrimsonMama Said:
I actually keep a list as I go so I can record it for myself, I know that's a little anal!

Me too I agree with you too about using my gallery here as a reference for myself. I can't tell you how often I go back to an old page of mine here to remember what color or size of something I used or whatever.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to dancinirish90

I am one of the really bad ones. I throw packaging away immediately. I cut the strips off papers when I buy them so I won't accidently make a page on the back side not realizing that the strip is on the other side - thus throwing off the proportions so it isn't 12 x 12. I've done that before so now I just cut the strips off.

I have over 3,000 sheets of patterned, some of them 5 years old. No idea what 99% are. When I buy packs or stacks the first thing I do is separate them so I don't know what they are pr what company.

Cardstock - thousands of pieces and if I need another page of one of them I have to go to Michaels, Joanns or HL to try to match it. Sometiems I get lucky - sometimes I don't. Would love to know what kind of white cardstock I used last night, had a cloud-like texture. No idea and I would buy a lot more of it.

No idea what punches I have - wish they would print them on each punch - the name and number. That would help me a lot. I have figured out what a few are to put in my scrapstash ap but most - I have no idea.

Yesterday I did 12 pages and today I have 6 I'd like to complete before I go to bed. No idea what anything is. I buy my diecuts from another company I cannot link here. Not fair to scrapbook.com and against the rules too.

I have at least 75 layouts I have not posted yet. Not a clue what I used on any of them so even if I need more of a particular paper I don't know where to start.

I'm not trying to be mean by withholding information, I just don't know.

Edited by Henri Jean on 11-29-12 01:41 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

kiyawinn
Guru
kiyawinn
In response to Henri Jean

I keep most of the packaging for products...I just throw the whole package of embellishments, tags or whatever into the appropriate Iris bin.
All the strips are still on my paper too.
I almost always link to products where I can and add the "misc." items under other products.
I also really appreciate when others link their products.....I have frequently added something to my wish list or cart because I've seen it linked in the gallery.....

Alison

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to kiyawinn

I need to start doing that too. Maybe I can go buy a whole lot of new scrappy stuff so I will know what they are. Sounds like a plan to me!

Juansmom
Idol
Juansmom

I checked my gallery, I think the scrapper who inspired me with her punchwork is Madmatter, anyway she definitely selects the products used in each LO and gives you info about the hows and whys too...she does nice work too!!

olleharr
Mayor
olleharr
In response to Doreena

Half my supplies and tools are older and they don't even sell them anymore so listing them is hard. But I do try when I can. I know it helps but sometimes it just isn't possible.

CrimsonMama
Mayor
CrimsonMama

Henri, I can't believe how many LO's you produce! If I were you, I would possibly only list a product if it were something unusual or standout, and not even worry about everything. Like a punch or something but not worry about the paper is what I am saying.

Mia1979
Diva
Mia1979

See what I do is I have a little notepad where I keep track of what I use on my layouts so every item I try to write it down and when I upload I don't have to think about what I used. If I don't see the item on here, I will pick a similar one in the discription. What I find that it is helpful because you can search for a specific item and it will bring up layouts that have used that item and you get to see how it looks.It also helps me to determine which item to buy.

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny
In response to Mia1979

I typically write up my materials list the day or the day after I make the layout - depends how late it is by the time I'm done crafting for the day. Sometimes I do the writeup using a photo of the layout as reference, sometimes with a stack of layouts next to me in bed while I type. I do it immediately like that rather than at the time of upload because I don't always upload right away - if there's enough sunlight to take a photo I might upload the same day, but in winter I might not have enough sunlight until Saturday for a layout made on a Monday (due to work hours), so they'll get uploaded on the weekend instead, and with gift projects, I don't upload pictures anywhere until the recipient has physically received it, but the material lists will have been sitting in a text file on my computer since the project was finished.

Occasionally, for a project album (like a baby album gift or an album covering a single trip), I do wait and do all the writeups at the end, keeping the paper strips and everything in the meantime as a reminder.

t-scraps
Expert
t-scraps
In response to aquabunny

That's too much like work to me; I'm good just to get a lo completed.

When I look at the gallery, I look at the layouts for design ideas not what brand of paper was used or punch, or cartridge, or etc....

Most of my stash is old; I'm not a 'trendy' scrapbooker. I buy what I like, not what's in fashion so it doesn't bother me to use a paper I've had sitting around for several years.

It is a very nice feature for those who use it/like it.

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny
In response to t-scraps

I'm not trendy either (I rebel strongly against the idea of using a product or technique solely because it is trendy or because Archiver's claims it's the hottest new fad), and like you I only buy what I like. My stash is old enough that much of my recent work, if I ever upload it, won't be linkable to any superstore products; I still gladly use Sizzix dies manufactured ten years ago and my paper rack is full of long-discontinued papers. Buying new products in 2012 doesn't mean that it bothers me to use paper I bought for my wedding album in 2007 but didn't use in the actual album. Labeling the products that I've used doesn't mean I'm trying to be trendy or focusing on products over designs.

But sometimes even if a gallery layout's design doesn't appeal to me, I might still like the journaling spot or sticker or whatever and might want to buy it for myself (and if it's discontinued, I at least know what to look for on eBay); sometimes, when I'm looking at products I like in the superstore, I enjoy seeing the ways other people have used the same products, which can help me decide whether I would actually use the paper or stamp or die-cut I'm considering adding to my wish-list.

For me it isn't work; I enjoy cataloging what I've used, and like I said, I was doing the writeups for my Facebook uploads long before I started adding to my gallery and linking products here.

Pink Spoonbill
Governor
Pink Spoonbill
In response to Mia1979

• Mia1979 Said:
See what I do is I have a little notepad where I keep track of what I use on my layouts so every item I try to write it down and when I upload I don't have to think about what I used. If I don't see the item on here, I will pick a similar one in the discription. What I find that it is helpful because you can search for a specific item and it will bring up layouts that have used that item and you get to see how it looks.It also helps me to determine which item to buy.

What a great idea! I have a notepad with me right now. Thanks.

mrsdriver5
Diva
mrsdriver5
In response to Pink Spoonbill

I also either write it on a notepad that I keep on my worktable, or if it's a LO, I write it on the back. I know it's a help to others...but it's also a big help to me. There are times I want to use things I previously used and this way I don't have to hunt for it in my stash. If I give the item away, I keep a photo of it, along with the supplies used, on my computer.

I also tear apart most all of my stacks, but I keep the front cover in a 12x12 folder and I just flip through if I need to jog my mind for which stack it came from, in case I didn't write it down for some reason. CS I know is usually Bazzill, but I just put that it's "probably Bazzill" in the Other Products.~Judy

CrimsonMama
Mayor
CrimsonMama
In response to mrsdriver5

Mia: I do the pad thing too, that makes it faster to complete the discription when you upload.

Aqua: LOL! I'm glad to know that I not the only one that takes stuff to bed. Ok, I telling on myself...I've purchased paper before and when I go to bed, sometimes I take them to look at carefully, that's my bedtime reading! Crazy or what?

CrimsonMama
Mayor
CrimsonMama
In response to mrsdriver5

Judy, I don't quite understand the pulling apart of stacks. Do you mean you pull the apart when you buy them? Or when you have used most of it and you want to organize a different way? I have my stacks all on a bookself, standing up on their edge like books and I just pull in and out. Are you saying that you pull them apart and organize them a different way?.......Because THAT would make it hard to remember what stack it was from for sure. - Vicki

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics