Username Post: The Cons of Using Your Stash...        (Topic#1583991)
Doreena
Governor
Doreena

So there has been a big trend in "using up your stash"...which is great, something I am all for and have been doing myself...

BUT, yes I have a big "but", LOL...

I notice that when I see something I like on someone's layout and they have linked it, the item is 99% of the time a discontinued item! Darn!
Such a tease, LOL!

Anybody else having this problem?
Or have anything to say about the topic in general?

Please share...

OlesyaK.
Diva
OlesyaK.
In response to Doreena

yep, that's right! I've seen a lot of the wood veneer cameras from Studio Calico on the recent layouts - boy, would I love to have a pack of those! nope, not even on e bay, too bad... most of the stuff you can find there if not in this store))
oh and what cracks me up - items labeled "BRAND NEW - JUST ARRIVED" with the red "discontinued" just below)))

Doreena
Governor
Doreena
In response to OlesyaK.

Oh, I hadn't noticed that... now I'm going to pay more attention "just because"...

marypats
Veteran
marypats
In response to Doreena

i love using up my stash because that lets me buy more new stuff!! LOL!!

Doreena
Governor
Doreena
In response to marypats

True dat, Mary!

I'm actually running out of "stash" supplies and will HAVE to start buying more stuff... oh the horror!

CrimsonMama
Mayor
CrimsonMama
In response to Doreena

Well, I can't say I am running out of stash but I can resist putting stuff I love in my wish list, but many times it seems like I see something in "New Arrivals" in the Superstore and it's gone really quickly. I suspect that when something comes out, that SB.com gets a limited amount.

The last time this happened, I even recommended it to a friend who I KNEW would love it and she did but it was gone already!

I mull things over for a while tho' before I pull the trigger on a wish list.
Products Referenced in This Post:

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to CrimsonMama

I have stuff in my stash that is over 5 years old. More and more stuff is getting outdated. I doubt much that I have would be on the currents lists. I never have to go out and buy anything to scrapp and could probably scrap for 2-3 years without buying anything. I only buy what I love and that is a lot of stuff but rarely has anything to do with what I'm scrapping now. I even buy 24 box - 48 rolls of ATG tape at a time so I only have to buy it every couple years.

I hate when I find perfect paper for a layout and don't have enough of it. I can't buy anymore - its not around anymore.

I just posted the Robert, the Haunted Doll of Key West layout. I went back to the site when I bought the fence for it and that has been discontinued except for digi download.

I did buy several extras a few years ago so I'm set for my next haunted layouts and I'm sure there will be more but when I use the next two - there are no more.

Artfulscrapbooking
Veteran
Artfulscrapbooking
In response to Henri Jean

I try to use current supplies, but I also love to incorporate older items from my stash. I find I use the older items in a new and different way than I would of when I first got them.

my blog: http://artfulscrapbooking .wordpress.com/

Edited by artfulscrapbooking on 01-09-13 10:00 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to Artfulscrapbooking

I haven't encountered this. I do not jump on the band wagon of new products, and never really find myself longing for the latest/greatest item(s).

I shop discount stores, so most of my stash is outdated before I even buy it.

Scrapbook Roadie
Resident
Scrapbook Roadie

You know what I hate about using my stash? Then I don't have it anymore... Isn't that silly?

Doreena
Governor
Doreena
In response to Scrapbook Roadie

Oh but you DO have it still... it's in your album!

ScrapperKate03
Expert
ScrapperKate03

Oh my goodness... I don't think I will ever use all my stash - I'm to the point of trying to give stuff away to my friends that are teachers just to create more room. So much of it are sets from when I first started scrapbooking - so outdated! What do we do with stuff we will (probably) never use?!?

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda

• Scrapbook Roadie Said:
You know what I hate about using my stash? Then I don't have it anymore... Isn't that silly?

I think there's a name for that. Hoarding?

{I do that to an extent. "This is such a great embellishment. I don't want to *waste* it." So I wait for the 'perfect' page to use it on.}

Artfulscrapbooking
Veteran
Artfulscrapbooking
In response to Doreena

That's why I have a hard time with cards...because you are giving aways items you love. I agree with Doreen, when the items are on your layouts, you still have them in your albums!!

Doreena
Governor
Doreena

• artfulscrapbooking Said:
That's why I have a hard time with cards...because you are giving aways items you love. I agree with Doreen, when the items are on your layouts, you still have them in your albums!!

I don't do cards... I'm too selfish, LOL!

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to Doreena

LOL, I love cards, they are about all I enjoy making,,,,,mostly because they make other people so happy.

However, because they are cards, I often try to buy things on sale or clearance. Then I go to link them,,and sure enough,,,,,,,discontinued LOL.

Example,,,,,,just bought these yesterday at M's for 1.99 instead of the original 4.99. I loved them when they came out, but refused to spend 4.99 for ten buttons. ridiculous.

but they are discontinued LOL. Makes sense, they were on clearance at M's.

OlesyaK.
Diva
OlesyaK.
In response to Doreena

• Doreena Said:

when I did a lot of knitting and crocheting and giving the items away, I took a picture of the item and put it in an album - like an art portfolio of your work.. then part of it remains with me)) you could do that with cards, I guess.. then it's not so hard to give them away)

GMFTS
GMFTS 
Governor
GMFTS
  • GMFTS on 01-09-13 11:35 AM
In response to OlesyaK.

• OlesyaK. Said:
yep, that's right! I've seen a lot of the wood veneer cameras from Studio Calico on the recent layouts - boy, would I love to have a pack of those! nope, not even on e bay, too bad... most of the stuff you can find there if not in this store))
oh and what cracks me up - items labeled "BRAND NEW - JUST ARRIVED" with the red "discontinued" just below)))

OLesya that has made me just a little crazy too.. duh!

Scrapbook Roadie, I used to think that too or not want to use something because it is so wonderful. Now I figure that if I use it I can justify buying another wonderful thing and as Doreena said you still have it if its in your album and if you give the album away 10 - 1 you won't even remember the item after a while.

I notice that lots of posters say there stuff is out of date but really that's only if we compare it to new products all the time. Even the newest stuff it will be outdated but when it's in an album who cares?

Edited by GMFTS on 01-09-13 11:44 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to OlesyaK.

• OlesyaK. Said:
  • Doreena Said:

when I did a lot of knitting and crocheting and giving the items away, I took a picture of the item and put it in an album - like an art portfolio of your work.. then part of it remains with me)) you could do that with cards, I guess.. then it's not so hard to give them away)

I take pics of all my cards,,,,,

and if I really REALLY like it,,,,,I can always make another

arteshamac
Queen
arteshamac
In response to GMFTS

Can you believe that I have challenged myself to only use my stash?! I am now making cards and I love it! I am also involved in swaps. When I finish a hand made swap item or a card, I take a photo and let it go. I told myself that I would use what I have until July 2013...then it's "Christmas in July" for me! Keep me in your prayers! I am really trying to be good and stick to it!

Sneezy1956
Guru
Sneezy1956
In response to arteshamac

I'm in a Facebook group and we are trying to use a stash and not buy new stuff. I've bought a few things but I'm using up old paper and full paper packs which I love. Yes some of the stuff is now more and I can't even link it but I'm making room and will have money for know stuff soon.

binkiemonstermom
Idol
binkiemonstermom

I like using up my stash. But there are always new things to buy1!!
I love making cards. It is a different medium for me, I have to think about it more than scrapping. I would say that my cards get me more "crafting notice" if that makes sense because I use the cards, so then others get to see them. I do teachers' cards every year, for christmas, appreciation and end of the year. The teachers talk about those cards all the time! Few people get to see my scrapbooking pages.

Crafting Marfa
Veteran
Crafting Marfa

I have edited my stash to stuff that I really, really like. If I don't like, its out to the trash or for donation. This way, I actually WANT to use my stash LOL

TheCharmedOne
Pro
TheCharmedOne
In response to Crafting Marfa

I'm a hoarder when it comes to Scrapbook supplies. Dont really matter if I can use it now or not. If I like it, I buy it. I do however try to focus more on the "extra" materials like paints, mists, chipboards, embellishments ect than focus on papers. I have a lot of papers lol but not a lot of embellishments n paints n stuff. I recently had to move house and while packing me Scrap stuff in, I rediscovered lots of products that I bought 10 yrs ago, they are now being used...

binkiemonstermom
Idol
binkiemonstermom
In response to TheCharmedOne

It has helped to that I try to make my own embellies. I use stamps, punches, framelits, to make addons for pages. I am slowly weeding down my stockpile of stickers that I HAD to have years ago. Now when I buy an embellie from the store, it is only something that I really really love.

cescrapper
Expert
cescrapper

I still have stuff from the old QVC days

Sunnydi
Queen
Sunnydi
In response to OlesyaK.

• OlesyaK. Said:
  • Doreena Said:

Good idea.... thanks.

Doreena
Governor
Doreena
In response to OlesyaK.

• OlesyaK. Said:
  • Doreena Said:

Still not good enough for me... did I mention I'm selfish?!

Actually I don't like creating cards in general.
Sometimes I create layouts for my mom. When I do this I get color copies of them first so I at least have a copy of it for my albums.

Edited by Doreena on 01-10-13 08:33 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

meezerpleaser
Diva
meezerpleaser
In response to cescrapper

I'm a stash hoarder and hate to let go of anything. But I do, especially for cards, and I seem to have a need to have a small LSS in my house in order to create. I'm always tempted by new products in specific lines, but one of my goals this year is to make a real dent in my stash. It's edging into out of control and I've got to get a grip!

Cons for using my stash? Stuff gets discontinued and I can't find that pretty, pretty paper that I don't have enough of to complete a LO the way I want it. Sometimes I can find it on Amazon, but sometimes I'm just toast. It's a major deal for me when I can't find something I want! I need to get a grip on that, too!

Doreena
Governor
Doreena
In response to meezerpleaser

Geez Lucinda, "get a grip"!
LOL!

t-scraps
Expert
t-scraps
In response to Doreena

Using stuff you buy to create los is a trend? I thought it was called scrapbooking.

Doreena
Governor
Doreena
In response to t-scraps

• t-scraps Said:
Using stuff you buy to create los is a trend? I thought it was called scrapbooking.

LOL! Well when you put it that way...

binkiemonstermom
Idol
binkiemonstermom
In response to Doreena

I think we all tend to hoard!!!! LOL!!! I just went through my stash and gave a bunch of older paper packs that I was done with or didn't like anymore to my niece. She is in scrapbooking club at school...she was thrilled to get all the stuff!! I am thrilled that she wants to scrapbook!!!!

arteshamac
Queen
arteshamac
In response to binkiemonstermom

A scrapbooking club at school sounds cool!

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean

I think I'm with Doreena - not only do I not enjoy making cards - the thought of giving them away. What if they toss it out?

Maybe I'm too selfish too - never thought of it that way. I will do anything for people except make cards!

OlesyaK.
Diva
OlesyaK.

I think that every stash has to "season" a little - especially papers) if I used a paper in the layout, I have to really really forget what I used it with, or I'll tend to picture it in the same way.. But in a couple years I might pull it back out and think of something new))) same with embellies. This excludes generic colors/patterns and cardstock, of course. it's funny, i was selecting papers for a l/o a couple days ago, and looked at a paper and thought - oooh i already used it and it was combined with such and such and... I had to stop myself - this was for a new layout after all) once it sits in the drawer for a good while, you look at the ppr or embellie with a new eye)

madmatter
Diva
madmatter
In response to OlesyaK.

LOVE using my stash ...

cleans out my drawers
makes room for more stuff
makes me feel frugal

arteshamac
Queen
arteshamac
In response to madmatter

I personally love receiving hand made goodies, especially cards. I don't throw away store bought cards and I definitely wouldn't throw away a hand made one. You run the risk of someone throwing away a beautiful card that you paid $4.00 or $5.00 for. But that doesn't mean that you would stop buying cards because there's the risk that the receiver would trash it. If you enjoy card making, it is an excellent way to help you dwindle down your stash...if you are in fact trying to get rid of your stash. I am trying to get into the habit of doing a card using left over paper after I finish a layout.

thehappyscrapper8
Veteran
thehappyscrapper8

I have a small area so I don't have a ton of stuff so I dont have a huge stash. I use whatever I have and then I go out and buy some more!!

Artesha that sounds like a wonderful plan you have going on there! What are you going to do when all the new CHA stuff is released though!!

arteshamac
Queen
arteshamac
In response to thehappyscrapper8

Don't laugh at me, but I don't even know what CHA stuff is! Actually, you can laugh at me!

Doreena
Governor
Doreena

• arteshamac Said:
I personally love receiving hand made goodies, especially cards. I don't throw away store bought cards and I definitely wouldn't throw away a hand made one. You run the risk of someone throwing away a beautiful card that you paid $4.00 or $5.00 for. But that doesn't mean that you would stop buying cards because there's the risk that the receiver would trash it. If you enjoy card making, it is an excellent way to help you dwindle down your stash...if you are in fact trying to get rid of your stash. I am trying to get into the habit of doing a card using left over paper after I finish a layout.

Good point Artesha, but since I throw away store bought cards I figure others do too, so I don't buy cards for people unless I need it to hold a GC or money.

I'm single-handedly destroying Hallmark's business... LOL!

arteshamac
Queen
arteshamac
In response to Doreena

Oh, Lord...well, if you throw away store bought cards, my friend, then please don't start card making!

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean

Doesn't bother me if someone throws away a card I bought or gift I bought no matter what it costs. But something I made for them, that would hurt. I guess that is why I don't make gifts for people myself.

That said, when I get cards that people make I use as many as I can in my scrapbook layouts. I have a lot I still want to incorporate and will be doing a couple pages of homemade Christmas cards that I received that are just too pretty to discard. I hang on to them but unless someone is into papercrafting I don't think they keep them.

A friend of mine made cards for me in the 80's when we worked together for Thanksgiving and Easter and Christmas - such pretty cards. I mentioned to her recently that I put them out with my holiday decorations and she was shocked. Said no one keeps them. I could never throw them away so now I incorporate them in my layouts.

Doreena
Governor
Doreena

• arteshamac Said:
Oh, Lord...well, if you throw away store bought cards, my friend, then please don't start card making!

I promise you I will NEVER start card making!

sabine
sabine 
Idol
sabine

I love using my scraps for cards and I never waste any paper. I have lot's of old pp, like from when I sold Creative Memories to when I belonged to the My Creative Scrapbook kit club. And now I'm starting to collect Stampin' Up! paper. I save the expensive pp for my albums and I use everything else for my cards. Making my own cards has saved me quite a bit in the past year and my family and friends love getting a handmade card! I try to limit my spending on paper now though and I focus on stamps instead.

Edited by sabine on 01-10-13 01:08 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Doreena
Governor
Doreena

• Henri Jean Said:
Doesn't bother me if someone throws away a card I bought or gift I bought no matter what it costs. But something I made for them, that would hurt. I guess that is why I don't make gifts for people myself.

That said, when I get cards that people make I use as many as I can in my scrapbook layouts. I have a lot I still want to incorporate and will be doing a couple pages of homemade Christmas cards that I received that are just too pretty to discard. I hang on to them but unless someone is into papercrafting I don't think they keep them.

A friend of mine made cards for me in the 80's when we worked together for Thanksgiving and Easter and Christmas - such pretty cards. I mentioned to her recently that I put them out with my holiday decorations and she was shocked. Said no one keeps them. I could never throw them away so now I incorporate them in my layouts.

Okay wanna hear something REALLY bad???

My mom buys me mushy cards for my B-day, you know the "To-My-Daughter-I-Love-Yo u" kinda cards. I DO NOT DO MUSHY;IDK why she hasn't figured this out yet. Anyway, I take them, and read them and then later throw them away...afterall I don't keep any cards (unless you count homemade ones from my kids...that's an entirely different animal). Well, one day we are talking and I'm not sure how it came up but she said something like "You keep all the cards I give you, right?"
::Gulp::!
My answer was "yes, mom, of course"...
I didn't realize she wanted me to KEEP them...
I just hope she never asks to see them...yikes!

Edited by Doreena on 01-10-13 01:25 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

madmatter
Diva
madmatter
In response to Doreena

CHA = Craft and Hobby Association

arteshamac
Queen
arteshamac
In response to madmatter

Thanks.

arteshamac
Queen
arteshamac

Incorporating them into layouts is an awesome idea!

fknapoleon
Pro
fknapoleon

• arteshamac Said:
Don't laugh at me, but I don't even know what CHA stuff is! Actually, you can laugh at me!

The CHA show is in January and sometime in the summer. That's when all the new stuff is released to tempt us with pretties!

arteshamac
Queen
arteshamac
In response to Doreena

Tsk..tsk...tsk...bad girl!

Doreena
Governor
Doreena

• arteshamac Said:
Tsk..tsk...tsk...bad girl!

I know right???

Well, I guess I kinda do have a heart cuz I did/do feel bad, but honestly I wasn't trying to be mean I just didn't think I was supposed to keep them!!!

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to Doreena

That is bad Doreena. I have some storebought cards that I've kept throught he years becuase they meant so much but as a rule - out they go.

Homemade cards - I keep them.

Cards make fabulous embellies Artesha and then I always have them. My birthday dinner layout (haven't quite finished it yet to post) has one of my cards I received and when I was in Hawaii a few months ago a scrapbook buddy gave me a birthday card she made for me and it will be in my Hawaii Layouts I'm starting to work on in the next few days.

My scrapbooks are full of card being used as embellies in my scrapbooks. Sometimes I make the page around the card to bring in the colors in the card. One time I found the patterned paper used on the card and bought more of it and used it for paper on the layout and then matted the card on it!

I sometimes use the inside of the card but not often. More likely I put a journaling note on the layout that says who made the card for me unless it is really something special inside.

Doreena
Governor
Doreena

I can see why people would think it's bad and I do too kinda think its bad...but at the same time I kinda don't. The reason is my mom and I have never had a close relationship and I am not "mushy" in any aspect of my life, except for my kids, so I would not think to keep then because to me they are just cards...and my view about cards in general is that I don't really care for them...

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to Doreena

I don't do mushy cards either. Just not me. My husband is not a card person and has only ever given me one card which I put in a scrapbook for Valentine's Day that year.

But I really do love the beautiful homemade cards and I do love them as embellies later but I do not like making them. They completely stress me out.

Gelidy Gelato
Diva
Gelidy Gelato

This past Christmas, I was shopping with an old friend I had recently reconnected with. We stopped at a Hallmark store so she could pick out some cards. I watched the shopping bags, we were at 6 by then, while she shopped. When she returned she was all teary eyed. She said several of the heartfelt cards got to her, especially the one she picked out for her aging mom.

A few days later I got a Hallmark card from her and yes it included a really mushy statement about how much she valued my friendship. But you know what...I didn't immediately dismiss it as a tacky Hallmark card. I realized she really wanted to say this to me but could not actually say it out loud. It has given me a new perspective on cards. Sometimes the person sending the card really wants to communicate the message in the card.

Sneezy1956
Guru
Sneezy1956
In response to Gelidy Gelato

Winter CHA is going on right now opening of the semester for me so I couldn't get off to go Sob Sob, Oh Well maybe i can make it to the Summer one

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to Doreena

• Doreena Said:
  • arteshamac Said:

I promise you I will NEVER start card making!

THAT'S what I said! NEVER SAY NEVER!

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to CommaHolly

I have a very dear friend who buys the cards for the meaning and she underlines what agrees with what is in her heart and it is so sincere from her. I don't keep them or I would have hundreds - we've been best friends since we were 5 years old and we are both 63.

However, I do have a few of them tucked away. She has lost both of her parents and my mom was a second mom to her. She sends my mother very heartfelt cards for different occasions and really picks them for the verses. She will never know how much it means to my mother. They are all cards for "mom" which really means a lot to my mom because my girlfriend is like another daughter to my mom.

Its all the generic storebought Christmas cards and boxed cards that I threw out, not the ones that someone really put a lot of time and thought into.

binkiemonstermom
Idol
binkiemonstermom

Making cards didn't appeal to me either. I have to say, it doesn't come easy to me. I actually have to measure!!!! LOL!!! My girlfriend couldn't believe that I didn't know how to use my ruler on my trimmer until about two years ago! LOl!! I am more of a fly by the seat of my pants kinda girl. I actually have to do MATH....the horror!!...to do cards.
I am sure people throw away the cards I make, but that's the nature of it. I keep handmade cards, or any cards from my husband or kids. I also will try and use cards in my layouts. If I can cut out something on a card to put into a layout, I love doing that!
I have found that I thought cards needed to be really detailed like scrapbooking. I actually have to think "keep it simple" when I am card making.
It isn't for everyone. And heck, that's okay. I go to a retreat and ALWAYS scrap while I am there, and about 95% of the ladies are making cards. They love seeing the layouts that I do. and I enjoy looking at their cards! I can't do cards at retreats...I need to think to much to do them and chat at the sametime!!! LOL!!!

arteshamac
Queen
arteshamac

Love the feedback and I'm taking notes!

kiyawinn
Guru
kiyawinn

I only make cards for Christmas and Birthdays....in other words, when I have to! (I avoid buying them when I have all that stuff in my stash to use anyway!)

As far as the cons of using my stash....I will definitely get rid of stuff (in fact, I do it once a year) that I no longer love or is really old, I will never use etc.
What really irks me though, is when I come across some paper or embellishment that I forgot about and DO really love and there isn't enough of it to do my current project and I can't get more....
something that is just perfect for what I'm working on!
I suppose if I didn't have so much stuff that wouldn't happen, LOL!

Alison

OlesyaK.
Diva
OlesyaK.
In response to Doreena

• Doreena Said:

My mom buys me mushy cards for my B-day, you know the "To-My-Daughter-I-Love-Yo u" kinda cards. I DO NOT DO MUSHY;IDK why she hasn't figured this out yet. Anyway, I take them, and read them and then later throw them away...afterall I don't keep any cards (unless you count homemade ones from my kids...that's an entirely different animal). Well, one day we are talking and I'm not sure how it came up but she said something like "You keep all the cards I give you, right?"

OMG you mean one day my mom will ask the same question??? she's the same - mushy gushy. yuck. I just leave the cards standing around for a while, then they get swept away.

Doreena
Governor
Doreena
In response to OlesyaK.

• OlesyaK. Said:
  • Doreena Said:

OMG you mean one day my mom will ask the same question??? she's the same - mushy gushy. yuck. I just leave the cards standing around for a while, then they get swept away.

Thanks for having my back, Oleysa! LOL!

GMFTS
GMFTS 
Governor
GMFTS
  • GMFTS on 01-11-13 12:53 PM
In response to Doreena

Cards! I hate making them so I don't anymore.

I save some, use some in los and toss some, never handmade ones though. I still have boxes of cards that were sent when my kids were born etc. Unfortunately along the way from then till now they picked up musty smells so I know I need to toss them but before then I think I am going to take photos of the best ones or color copy them.
Or toss them...
Really I don't know what the point is till I think of how much I enjoy ephemera.

My dd gave me a great card (Hallmark - lol) for my bday yesterday - it made me laugh out loud. DS is the one who sends the mushy ones which I think is endearing.

RE; Stash - I build it up then use some, get rid of some and then start over. After making to separate trips to two different lss last weekend with my friend last weekend she asked " why do we so much stuff when we already have so much?"

My response? "because we shop faster than we scrap".

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to GMFTS

Very good answer. I one hour at the scrapbook store I can buy more than I can scrap in 6 months! Then I go back a week later and buy that much more!

Cricutgirlg
Guru
Cricutgirlg

The con for me is using up the stuff, but that's what's suppose to happen... so let go and move on to new stuff.

mrsdriver5
Diva
mrsdriver5
In response to Cricutgirlg

I've always been a saver, so it's hard to use that really pretty paper/embellie because it might be terrific for what I'm doing right now...but it might be even better for something I want to do in the future. When it's gone...it's gone

I was always that way with my Easter and Halloween candy as a little girl. All of my good stuff got thrown away because I wouldn't eat it. I'd eat the jelly beans and the little Halloween "junk", but leave my big chocolate bunny or big chocolate bar because it might sound really good today...but I might want it even more tomorrow.

In a restaurant I leave the best for the last and am usually too full and give it to Hubby or take it home and then forget to eat it.

I guess I should just buy ugly stash and buy yukky food, then maybe I'd use it all ~Judy

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to mrsdriver5

I'm a lot like that too Judy. I eat what I like the least first and save the best for last. Then it comes home in a doggie bag. Can't seem to break that habit!

I am one to save the "good" perfume and "good" clothes and other good stuff. I have no idea how many "good" blouses were saved and I had never worn them when I outgrown them.

I bought really killer sneakers - Ecco tennis which were $250.00. They sat in my closet for over a year before I put them on. Now I don't weat them anywhere that I might get them dirty.

Go figure. I can buy another pair - what is the problem? I wear my old tennis and save the good ones.

Juansmom
Idol
Juansmom
In response to madmatter

• madmatter Said:

HEE HEEE, thought is was "Craft Hoarders of America"!!

corrie fan
Diva
corrie fan
In response to Juansmom

• Juansmom Said:
  • madmatter Said:

HEE HEEE, thought is was "Craft Hoarders of America"!!

Well one CHA does enable the "other" CHA.

flhomeschoolmom
Guru
flhomeschoolmom

My stash is constantly dwindling, LOL. It doesn't get wasted, but it doesn't always get used in my LO's either. It seems that I am the only "official" scrapper in the family. However, I have 4 "scrappers" under me. One is my SIL. She wants to create a custom baby book for her youngest daughter. However, she asks me for supplies. It's my scrap stash that makes her frames for pictures, flowers, hearts, butterflies, and now she wants me to see if I can paper piece some Care Bears. My niece's nickname is Care Bear, but we usually call her Cara Bear...LOL. I'm now officially out of any pinks that are larger than 3 inches. In addition, that same SIL has an older daughter who has taken up scrapbooking. She's 11 and been scrapping for a couple of years. She regularly asks me if I have any papers, emblies, etc. that I no longer want. She's not picky, she smiles about EVERYTHING I give her. And then I support my boys scrapbooking. A lot of theirs is "scrapbooking to learn", but they also have to work on a yearbook project every year because they are homeschooled.

Resident
In response to flhomeschoolmom

omg !!! how can you ladies throw out stash??? poor lil stash just wants to be loved and live happily tucked safely away... lol seriously i'm cringing.
i'm still building up my stash...even though i've now taken over the dining room and the dining room table has been evicted lol. i am like a bower bird....nothing.... and i mean nothing is safe from being pulled apart and added to whatever mad creative project i'm working on. i do however prefer to make my own embellies and play with embossing powders, paints, mod podge and glitter OH MYYYYYY lol. today i bought my first 4 bottles of liquid pearls.... i am in love !!! lol

Diva

I use my stash as much as possible as well mking my one embellishments ( flowers, butterflies, ect.) My problem is that when I go to the stores as there is a good deal...I go for it..knowing I have tons of papers!

Lunie
Lunie 
Veteran
Lunie
  • Lunie on 01-16-13 05:33 AM

• arteshamac Said:
Can you believe that I have challenged myself to only use my stash?! I am now making cards and I love it! I am also involved in swaps. When I finish a hand made swap item or a card, I take a photo and let it go. I told myself that I would use what I have until July 2013...then it's "Christmas in July" for me! Keep me in your prayers! I am really trying to be good and stick to it!

Me too. I have to use up the stuff I've bought because I don't want to expand my space to accommodate more stuff! Plan is that if I can't use it, I am going to donate or toss it. The only exception is a kit subscription that I get every month. Other than that... nuthin new.

flhomeschoolmom
Guru
flhomeschoolmom
In response to Lunie

I rebuilt my current stash with my old stash. I know that sounds strange. But over the years I've discovered that I simply do not like 12x12 albums, 8x8 albums, etc. The only size I like to scrap is 8.5x11. And I officially gave away all of my empty 12x12 albums. A school themed one that a friend bought me for my boys went to my niece, but I kept the papers because they were quite masculine. A light blue one that my DH got me went to my oldest nephew's wife to use for their baby boy's baby book. But again, I kept the papers (they weren't babyish papers). So, when I began cleaning out my closet, which is where I store both my scrapbooking stash and my quilting stash, I came across a large lidded box with a lot of 12x12 papers and borders in it. I decided to take an 8.5x11 piece of cardstock and use it for a template to cut down the 12x12 papers. What I ended up with was 1 piece of 8.5x11 paper or cardstock, a 12 inch strip of paper that was 1" wide, and a block of paper that was 3.5" wide and 11 inches long. Some of the papers came preprinted with their own borders, so I centered my cardstock in the middle of those, which gave me strips of paper wider than 1". All of those strips (except for the blocks) I turned into new borders.

I still have a shoe box full of scraps of varying sizes from 2 inches to 8 inches. I use those for making emblies, turning into journaling boxes, making frames, etc. And when I end up with any scraps that are too small to use with my scrapbooking, I recycle them. I make paper out of the teeny tiny bits combined with torn up plain white printer paper and use it for stationary to mail letters on.

arteshamac
Queen
arteshamac
In response to Cricutgirlg

I agree with this statement!

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics