Username Post: Buying and actually using the entire collection?        (Topic#1584137)
Mama2Thomas
Pro
Mama2Thomas

I don't necessary buy the entire collection (i.e. Basic Grey Oxford or Graphics 45 Birdsong, etc) but I find myself buying at least half the patterned papers available as well as some matching embellies. And then there's the DCWV paper pads which I seem to be buying faster than I can ever use. I don't have a lot of storage either... so it's starting to be a problem.

I am finding that even though I have a good assortment from a particular collection, I can get myself to create maybe 2-3 layouts before I get tired of that collection. So I end up with quite a bit left. Anyone else have this problem? Or are you pretty good at using the entire collection?

Oh and I have tried to buy just a couple sheets but then feel like I don't have "enough" variety to work with.

Edited by Mama2Thomas on 01-14-13 07:06 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

GMFTS
GMFTS 
Governor
GMFTS
  • GMFTS on 01-14-13 07:29 AM
In response to Mama2Thomas

I know what you mean about getting tired of the patterns/colors after a few los but still needing to buy enough for variety.
Fortunately for me storage is not a big problem because I do the same thing but then I put the papers I haven't used aside and then go back to them - sometimes. Which of course is why I have to join the Hoarders challenge and any others that encourage me to use up my stash.

Doreena
Governor
Doreena
In response to GMFTS

When I buy the big paper stacks I have a lot of trouble using them all! I have paper stacks from 5 years ago that I have only used about a third of! Yikes! But I try every so often to go in and find a use for something, even if it's just one sheet.
I too have joined the Hoarders challenge and it is a great motivator!
Maybe you can try that or make a personal challenge and tell your self for every 3 layouts you create, the 4th has to use something from one of your paper packs...

BTW - I don't buy those paper stacks anymore. In the end I found it wasn't worth it.
I much prefer actual kits that include embellies to match up w/ the papers. When I have those I tend to actually use all or at least most of the papers!

Edited by Doreena on 01-14-13 08:10 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

*jesse*
Idol
*jesse*
In response to Doreena

I do that too. If I only buy one or two sheets, I always wind up needing an additional print. I don't have so much of a problem with leftover paper, it's more the packs of embellies where I used one and still have five left... and they don't go with anything else...

I don't buy stacks either. I have a few that I just *had* to have and with the exception of one, they have just been collecting dust.

OlesyaK.
Diva
OlesyaK.
In response to *jesse*

Buying and using?? You must be kidding, why would someone do that))) LOL))))
Nope, not using it all. I like to mix and match - by color mostly - finding the pprs of matching styles and colors all over the stash. So left over papers or embellies from this collection may actually end up combined with something else. Collections and kits usually inspire me to combine papers I wouldn't put together if they were just there - I tend to color-coordinate too much.

madmatter
Diva
madmatter
In response to OlesyaK.

I don't buy the giant paper stacks from DCWV or MME, but I DO buy the collection pack of many lines (Bo Bunny, Fancy Pants, Echo Park, etc.) when they come out with new collections

I love being able to mix and match patterns easily for layering and will usually use almost the entire collection once I open the pack ...

SO looking forward to the new CHA stuff from my favorite manufacturers

RedSquirrel UK
Diva
RedSquirrel UK
In response to madmatter

I consider it a challenge to myself to use it all up. Having said that, I only usually buy the collection packs which include a couple of sheets of stickers (alphas and shapes) rather than chipboard shapes or brads or any other co-ordinating accessories.

I love working out how papers out of one pack will go with something from another manufacturer to create a completely different look.

wilbur
wilbur 
Expert
wilbur
In response to RedSquirrel UK

Where do you find the Hoarders challenge ??

Doreena
Governor
Doreena
In response to wilbur

Wilbur,

Here you go:
http://www.scrapbook.com/forums/showtopic.php?tid/15837...

Edited by Doreena on 01-14-13 03:13 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

wilbur
wilbur 
Expert
wilbur
In response to Doreena

thanks

kiyawinn
Guru
kiyawinn
In response to wilbur

This relates back to the post about 6x6 vs. 12x12 paper pads for me.....

This is why I buy about 2 of each of the papers that I really love in a line and then I'll get the 6x6 paper pad to coordinate for photo matting and diecuts, punched shapes etc....
This way, I will likely use all of the 12x12 sheets and if I have some 6x6 left over, and I don't want to use it, it goes in my giveaway bin....I don't feel so bad about that because a few sheets of 6x6 aren't worth a lot....

Alison

Mama2Thomas
Pro
Mama2Thomas
In response to kiyawinn

I think I might have to join the Hoarders challenge too ... might inspire me to use up my older stuff. Glad to hear I'm not the only one buying and not using it all up. Note to self for the future... must resist buying DCWV paper pads ... I think the only one that made a dent was one used for making a baby album for a friend.

melissasmith
Veteran
melissasmith
In response to Mama2Thomas

I don't buy stacks. I don't buy a whole collection unless I'm totally in love with the whole thing. When I find one like that, I just use it all because I love it all so much. Otherwise, I just pick the papers and embellies I like and make a couple of layouts from them.

Crafting Marfa
Veteran
Crafting Marfa
In response to melissasmith

I think that we all have the same issue. I have never bought an entire collection because most them cost more than what I can afford in one shot. If I could buy every collection that I love I would need a second warehouse for storage

elsje2
elsje2 
Expert
elsje2
In response to Crafting Marfa

I used to buy every piece of paper Basic Grey put on sale. And in every collection there are a few I don't like. I have put those aside and after a couple of years I find myself using that left-over paper and liking it. So maybe parts of collections need to grow on you.

Sneezy1956
Guru
Sneezy1956
In response to elsje2

I do so many mini albums that I normally buy full collections in both 12 x 12 and 6 x 6 because I need all of it for the albums.

And on top of that I've been going back to my older paper and matching it with newer papers and coming up with some amazing paper combinations.

Doreena
Governor
Doreena
In response to elsje2

• elsje2 Said:
I used to buy every piece of paper Basic Grey put on sale. And in every collection there are a few I don't like. I have put those aside and after a couple of years I find myself using that left-over paper and liking it. So maybe parts of collections need to grow on you.

This!

julie101
Diva
julie101
In response to Doreena

I always buy 2 sheets of the whole collection and I must say Im pretty go at using it all up I sometimes buy matching embellishments only if I havent already got stuff in my stash that matches

kariyava
Guru
kariyava
In response to melissasmith

• melissasmith Said:
I don't buy stacks. I don't buy a whole collection unless I'm totally in love with the whole thing. When I find one like that, I just use it all because I love it all so much. Otherwise, I just pick the papers and embellies I like and make a couple of layouts from them.

I am the same way. It also helps if you have a whole bunch of pictures from an event (like a big vacation) and want to have all of the pictures from that trip scrapped with the same line. For example, I had no problem using all of my MME L&F Sunshine stash on my trip to Hawaii, and all of my BB Serenity collection on my trip to Asia. I also tend to have tons of Christmas pictures, so using up entire Christmas lines are easy for me as well. I do know what you mean though. I have lots of lines where I used some of it and don't have the urge to use it for anything else, but maybe I am just waiting for the right pictures!

thehappyscrapper8
Veteran
thehappyscrapper8
In response to kariyava

I buy paper I love paper. I need to go to a paper annyonomous group! On that note I buy collections that I am absolutely in love with. If I am not in love then I purchase the papers that I really like and maybe the 6x6 pad to go with them.

flhomeschoolmom
Guru
flhomeschoolmom
In response to thehappyscrapper8

I wonder if they do actually have a paper anonymous group. If so, I should definately join it. It seems that I have paper everywhere. Some of it is my scrapbooking papers, some of it is my computer paper, others are notebook paper, and there's note pads, and post it notes, and I make paper to use for stationary and making journals.

Cindyckj
Pro
Cindyckj
In response to flhomeschoolmom

For me it just depends on the price and availability and of course whether or not I like it.

A dew years ago there was an amazing garage sale with tons of scrapbooking mainly and craft stuff. So I was able to pick up some big paper pads never used for less than $5. I have a couple of those i've never used yet still. lol

But locally in our stores you never know if the store will have single sheets and no paper pads or if they'll just have to have the paper pads. So i'm limited as to which I can buy. But I always buy from my lss first before going to m's or hl but at least at m's or hl you can use a coupon so that makes paper pads a little more affordable.

I just don't usually order paper online cause shipping is so expensive.

But all that being said out of the paper pads i've got i've never been able to use the whole collection yet. But I have when i've bought single sheets.

Edited by Cindyckj on 01-17-13 05:53 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Diva
In response to thehappyscrapper8

I don't buy collections. I go with I need and what I like the most.

dollscrap
Queen
dollscrap
In response to bayamonesa1

I very seldom use the entire collection including the embellies...now I am trying (but not always succeeding) to just buy what I think I may use. So often though the pps I don't buy are the ones I wish I had...so I buy those and then don't use the ones I thought I would use. LOL
Vicious cycle...Occasionally I do thin out my collection and pass along pps I don't want to my sister and friends who scrap. Also I take them to crops..where most of the time there is a trade table set up.
I have more stuff than I can use right now..and ready to get more from the new collections (Prima Divine and Graphic 45 Secret Garden). I'll probably buy the whole lot.
In my defense I did use ALL of the Basic Grey Curio collection....and bought more...and didn't use all of that.
I have no solution.
My name is Jeannie and I am a scrapoholic.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics