Username Post: Remember Mulberry Paper?        (Topic#1585729)
t-scraps
Expert
t-scraps

Any 'old timers' remember mulberry paper? I was doing a little organization in my scrap room this weekend and ran across a folder of mulberry paper!

SHeaRI
SHeaRI 
Resident
SHeaRI
In response to t-scraps

Ah I used to have a huge folder of this too - LOL

CatScrapsHere
Angel
CatScrapsHere
In response to SHeaRI

I've still got a little of that somewhere too

Momto3infinity
Pro
Momto3infinity
In response to t-scraps

Too funny! I remember having to have the perfect colors in my stash. In 2002, it was probably my fave thing to add to a lo. This is one from my DD1's baby album:

KINP33 By Momto3infinity

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny
In response to Momto3infinity

I've got a great little container full of strips of about ten different colors of this stuff - got it for 50 cents a few years ago at a scrapbook garage sale. I keep using it now and then (I love it with die-cuts - I layered some over some white paper when making a veil for a bride die-cut and the texture looked fabulous), but I still haven't really made a dent.

t-scraps
Expert
t-scraps
In response to Momto3infinity

I don't think I ever used mine....was saving it for something 'special'.

justowen
Governor
justowen
In response to t-scraps

I have a box of mulberry paper!

We need an "old time" challenge.

...mulberry paper, mailbox alphas, eyelets, and fiber

prittb
prittb 
Diva
prittb
In response to t-scraps

Add me to the list that has it. Had to have it but never used it.

andrea m
Mayor
andrea m
In response to prittb

I love to make flowers with it.

ChansGram
Angel
ChansGram
In response to andrea m

I too have a bunch of mulberry!!
Also for the old time challenge.. how about those "slide" embellishments! Don't know what they're called but look like an old "slide"- I used to cover them with matching pp to match my LO!

RedSquirrel UK
Diva
RedSquirrel UK
In response to ChansGram

I never had any. Is it acid-free? I've always wondered that.

NMlady
NMlady 
Governor
NMlady
In response to ChansGram

I actually don't have much left because I love using it!

Islandscrapper1
Tenant
Islandscrapper1
In response to NMlady

Oh you bet, think I still have some kicking around as well! Hang on to it long enough and it will probably make a come back lol

anda11
anda11 
Governor
anda11
In response to t-scraps

I have a nice stack & I still love the look. I would still use it.

anda11
anda11 
Governor
anda11
In response to RedSquirrel UK

• RedSquirrel Said:

I know that the stuff I bought was acid free cause I bought it at a store that only carried that. There might be some out there tat isn't. I know they sell gorgeous handmade papers at stamp store that kinda look like it but they are not acid free.

RedSquirrel UK
Diva
RedSquirrel UK
In response to anda11

• anda11 Said:
  • RedSquirrel Said:

I know that the stuff I bought was acid free cause I bought it at a store that only carried that. There might be some out there tat isn't. I know they sell gorgeous handmade papers at stamp store that kinda look like it but they are not acid free.

That's it, exactly. Once I was given some purple stuff marked as Indian hand-made, but being purple, I couldn't try out my pH tester pen on it. I suspected it was not acid-free, and used it on cards just in case.

KellyCali
Governor
KellyCali
In response to Islandscrapper1

Even though I remember when it was all the rage (pretty much in every single copy of any original scrapbook magazine, i.e. Making Memories, Creating Keepsakes, etc.)...In the end, I think I literally only owned 1 piece total. It was cream colored with flowers pressed into it.

Michaels seems to keep mulberry paper alive & well in their free project sheets.

Also, this reminds me of when Tear Bears were a popular project to make, as well.

GMFTS
GMFTS 
Governor
GMFTS
  • GMFTS on 03-04-13 09:07 AM
In response to KellyCali

I only ever had a sheet or two - started scrapping at the tail end of that trend.

I was just thinking about it the other day though about how cool it would be for flowers.

RE: Old-timers challenge: try the hoarders challenge. Old-timers/hoarders? Think they are the same thing?

http://www.scrapbook.com/forums/showtopic.php?tid/15856...

wilbur
wilbur 
Expert
wilbur
In response to KellyCali

Yes, I have the mulberry paper, several colors. I still use it- when I remember I have it!!!

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to wilbur

I have bought several pieces of washi paper over the years in my scrapbook store and then learned it is not acid free. Don't know what I will do with it. That stuff is $2 or $3 for an 8 1/2 x 11 so I hate to throw it out but I can't use it. I don't make cards and don't want to make cards so its just in my stash. Guess I'll put it into the pile that is going to raise money for breast cancer research.

Diva
In response to Henri Jean

I still have some. I use it more for cards than LOs.

OlesyaK.
Diva
OlesyaK.

I didn't know mulberry paper was outdated LOL)) I guess I'm too new in scrapbooking (five years, give or take) to remember LOL)))

Sneezy1956
Guru
Sneezy1956

hmmmmm now you have me thinking where mine is! I know there's a folder some place in my room.

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to Sneezy1956

Yes, I remember.
Yes, I still have some.

Who said eyelets are 'old timer'?!?
What are mailbox alphas??

I honestly am not concerned with what's 'in' or stylish. I use/buy what I like. And, the plus side is you find better deals on the older/outdated supplies.

kiyawinn
Guru
kiyawinn

Ok, I give....what's Mulberry Paper?
Sounds prickly.....

Alison

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to kiyawinn

Really Alison? You don't know?

I didn't think it had been THAT long since it was popular.

It's a hand-made looking paper with fibers in it. It's typically a lighter weight.

Many people used it to make tear bears. I have a tear bear in my gallery that is mostly mulberry paper.
WOW! Just noticed, I posted it in 2005. I suppose that was kind of a long time ago?

Tenant
In response to Bxr-Linda

I was thinking of using some I guess they would be out dated already....

RedSquirrel UK
Diva
RedSquirrel UK
In response to Homemaid

I don't care two hoots if it is out-dated! If it is pretty, I will use it anyway. There are always ways of updating old things to make them look new and fresh in my opinion. I bet it would look fantastic distress-inked and Sticklesed - those things weren't around when mulberry paper was a hot trend.

Drat. I wish I had some now, just so I could try that...

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda

• RedSquirrel Said:
I don't care two hoots if it is out-dated! If it is pretty, I will use it anyway. There are always ways of updating old things to make them look new and fresh in my opinion. I bet it would look fantastic distress-inked and Sticklesed - those things weren't around when mulberry paper was a hot trend.

Are you making up words again??

Sneezy1956
Guru
Sneezy1956
In response to Bxr-Linda

Well I came home and looked and looked and guess what?????? I can't find it. Who wants to come clean my room I'll let you keep what you find

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny
In response to kiyawinn

• kiyawinn Said:
Ok, I give....what's Mulberry Paper?
Sounds prickly.....

Alison

I used some behind the title on this page I made for Sally:
"Looking Good" - page for Friend Swap By Aquabunny

I used it for the snowflake in the lower left:
Blue and White Tree By Aquabunny

justowen
Governor
justowen
In response to Bxr-Linda

• Bxr-Linda Said:
Yes, I remember.
Yes, I still have some.

Who said eyelets are 'old timer'?!?
What are mailbox alphas??

I honestly am not concerned with what's 'in' or stylish. I use/buy what I like. And, the plus side is you find better deals on the older/outdated supplies.

So many things have "come back in style", that I'm never sure what's "in" or what's not. I know I haven't been using my eyelets much, but I've been looking at my pretty jars of them and thinking I should start using them again....using my old hammer with the hole punch and eyelet setter...ahhhhh...the good old days of releasing frustration putting a bunch of eyelets on a page....hmmmmm..something like this:
Grandparents By Justowen

Speaking of which...does anyone know where to find the tutorial for this Anna Griffin paper folding technique? The link I put when I posted this lo doesn't seem to work anymore and I couldn't find it by doing searches.

Edited by justowen on 03-04-13 07:42 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 03-04-13 08:56 PM
In response to justowen

LOL I didn't know what this was until I started looking at the pages people have posted. Yup, I've got some in my stash. I never knew what it was called.

RedSquirrel UK
Diva
RedSquirrel UK
In response to Bxr-Linda

• Bxr-Linda Said:
  • RedSquirrel Said:

I bet I'm not the first to coin that one! Oh let me use it, please? It's such a delicious word, and you all know what it means!

t-scraps
Expert
t-scraps

I'm not into trends either. I just did a page over the weekend and used some of my Alphabitties. Remember those? I don't forsee anyone looking at a layout 20 years from now and say, they used such and such in 2013? That was so 2008!

I love when new stuff comes out. If it didn't, it would be like the old Creative Memories days when it was like, how many times can I use these same confetti stickers on a layout before I get tired of it. You know, back when products were limited.

If I like it, I buy it. That way, it doesn't matter when I use it because I like it!

KellyCali
Governor
KellyCali
In response to t-scraps

They had an entire section of mulberry paper at M's last night.

Granted, it wasn't anywhere near the regular open stock paper, nor was it labeled as mulberry paper.

I almost bought a piece, but every sheet they had was $1.19. At 8.5x11, that's not really worth it.

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda

• RedSquirrel Said:
  • Bxr-Linda Said:
  • RedSquirrel Said:

I bet I'm not the first to coin that one! Oh let me use it, please? It's such a delicious word, and you all know what it means!

Okay, okay. I'd just like to hear you PRONOUNCE it.

RedSquirrel UK
Diva
RedSquirrel UK
In response to Bxr-Linda

• Bxr-Linda Said:
  • RedSquirrel Said:
  • Bxr-Linda Said:
  • RedSquirrel Said:

You do know I'm English, don't you? It doesn't matter how I pronounce it, you'll all laugh at me!

Doreena
Governor
Doreena
In response to justowen

• justowen Said:

They could be used for the "Hoarders" challenge!

Doreena
Governor
Doreena
In response to GMFTS

• GMFTS Said:
I only ever had a sheet or two - started scrapping at the tail end of that trend.

I was just thinking about it the other day though about how cool it would be for flowers.

RE: Old-timers challenge: try the hoarders challenge. Old-timers/hoarders? Think they are the same thing?

http://www.scrapbook.com/forums/showtopic.php?tid/15856...

Oops just say your reply!
Yes, what GMFTS said!

justowen
Governor
justowen
In response to Doreena

• Doreena Said:
  • justowen Said:

They could be used for the "Hoarders" challenge!

I've definitely been doing that! It's a terrific challenge! My lo I posted in that challenge a few days ago was crammed with old stuff.

I just have to remember the old stuff I have so that I can use them so that I can put them in the challenge. I think I need to make a list of my old stuff and when I go to do any challenge, I randomly select three of the items and use them on my lo's!! I know, I'm a ditz..you'd think I could remember what I have and that I need to use it, but you'd die laughing if you saw how excited I get when I "find" something that I've had in my stash forever. I remember how excited I was to add that "cool new" thing to my stash in the first place.

Cricutgirlg
Guru
Cricutgirlg
In response to wilbur

I donated mine recently to my ds' school. I was never going to use it.

sbartist
Governor
sbartist

Definitely remember it, never purchased it and still don't have any of it.

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda

[quote=RedSquirrel][quote =Bxr-Linda][quote=RedSqui rrel][quote=Bxr-Linda][qu ote=RedSquirrel]I don't care two hoots if it is out-dated! If it is pretty, I will use it anyway. There are always ways of updating old things to make them look new and fresh in my opinion. I bet it would look fantastic distress-inked and Sticklesed - those things weren't around when mulberry paper was a hot trend.

[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]
You do know I'm English, don't you? It doesn't matter how I pronounce it, you'll all laugh at me!
[/quote]

I know! That's why I said that.

Oh bloody he11, I would NOT laugh. I love listening to English accents.

[too many quotes... sorry.. can't figure out how to fix it]

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny
In response to Bxr-Linda

You can fix it by putting spaces between the quote tags at the very beginning of the post - otherwise, sb.com just inserts spaces automatically every twenty letters or so and it breaks the code.

RedSquirrel UK
Diva
RedSquirrel UK
In response to Bxr-Linda

I did what you said aquabunny but I couldn't fix it either. Ah well.

Linda, Megan was going to add a sticky-outy-tongue smilie on here, but she hasn't got round to it yet. Until she does, please consider yourself well tongue-stuck-out-at. In an English accent!

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda

• RedSquirrel Said:
I did what you said aquabunny but I couldn't fix it either. Ah well.

Linda, Megan was going to add a sticky-outy-tongue smilie on here, but she hasn't got round to it yet. Until she does, please consider yourself well tongue-stuck-out-at. In an English accent!

right back atcha!

Of course, that is intended with all due respect!

Thanks Aquabunny, I think once there are so many quotes, it just gets fouled up.

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny
In response to Bxr-Linda

Dang, you're right, I totally thought that would work!

RedSquirrel UK
Diva
RedSquirrel UK
In response to aquabunny

Resident

Hey now you dont have to be scrapbooking for a long time to love mulberry paper... I use it all the time for my tear bears but its like 3-4 times the thickness of cardstock

prittb
prittb 
Diva
prittb
In response to must_love_paper

I used the thick mulberry paper for tear bears too. When I sat open houses, I would make the bodies of the bears, gave me something to do between the visitors that came to the see the house. Had quite a few people ask me what I was doing (hmmm, still have some of those heavy sheets left too).

Artfulscrapbooking
Veteran
Artfulscrapbooking

Oh yes, I bought a few sheets when it came out. It has a wonderful texture! I had used a piece to frame my sons birth announcement(10 yrs. ago). It still looks nice.

my blog: http://artfulscrapbooking .wordpress.com/

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics