Username Post: Now WHAT????        (Topic#1593625)
New Kid On the Block

Where are we going to buy scrapbook supplies now that Archiver's is closing???!!!!
Joann's and Michael's paper is a joke! They have the same paper today as they did 5 years ago!!! The quality is not there either!
Help!!!!

olleharr
Mayor
olleharr
In response to celgrandnanny

I buy all of mine online. I usually shop and fill up my wish list and then when Scrapbook.com has their free shipping days I splurge. They have a great selection here.

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny
In response to olleharr

I do a lot of shopping online now (the local independent scrapbook store closed a year ago), and I never really did go to Archiver's much except when I knew I needed a specific product that they were likely to have (but often didn't actually have - one time I wanted only one design from a then-current Basic Grey line, and that was the one pattern the store near me didn't have). While I wish Joann's would carry more of the designer lines, I actually appreciate their mostly-unchanging stock - they have a lot of wonderful general-purpose papers that I like, and it's reassuring to know I can always go back and get some old favorites. My paper rack at home has some stuff about a decade old on it, which I still love, so that's not a big problem for me.

950nancy
Diva
950nancy
In response to aquabunny

I agree. The paper at Michael's (patterned mostly) is so very old. Once in awhile they have some new lines, but not very often. The racks at my store are generally half empty, torn, and in the wrong place. Archivers always had the newest paper (thick) and cue embellishments to match. You paid the price, but I loved the options.

ScrappyMama6
Mayor
ScrappyMama6
In response to 950nancy

Buy it here!!

Fantastic selection
Awesome Customer service
Carefully packaged and fast shipping
Competitive prices
Free forums and boards
No gas spent running store to store

It's a shame they went out of business but you still have options for great products.

anda11
anda11 
Governor
anda11
In response to celgrandnanny

I am so sad that they are closing...They were one of my fav stores.. I know that they have the same type of product here.. They have so much more choices here .They carry most lines here too..I love shopping here They ship pretty fast here. every item is packaged so well.
I am an equal opportunity shopper/scrapper...
I love distressed vintage but I also love cutesy too. I love vintage 3d stickers but I also love flat stickers.. I love shopping at Hob Lob & Mikes..they have both styles for me

Edited by anda11 on 01-19-14 08:07 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

CrimsonMama
Mayor
CrimsonMama
In response to anda11

I like to shop here because when I am looking at LO's in the gallery and see something I love, (and hopefully it has the product listed) you can add it to your wishlist to consider buying.

bonprof
Queen
bonprof
In response to CrimsonMama

I spend crazy money here. At Christmas time, they sent me a $15 coupon!! I also sent you a pm.

dwelch
dwelch 
Diva
dwelch
In response to bonprof

We are so lucky to still have a FANTASTIC local store here in the area. I'm crossing my fingers that the Archivers demise helps them so they can stay in business. I will certainly miss Archivers though, because they were so close. I do order a lot on-line, but I'm an impatient person so while I love finding a package on my porch, I hate the wait!

PhotobearSam
Idol
PhotobearSam
In response to dwelch

I can't seem to shop online.....I tend to need to touch, see and feel paper in person to fall in love enough to buy it.

Expert
In response to PhotobearSam

...no...some of Joann's paper is at least 8 years old...because I started scrapping when my oldest was 3 months old and he'll be 9 in MAY!!! I seriously want to cry when I see the same paper I bought early on in the store...

I too will really miss Archivers. I have a great LSS in the metro area, but their coupons are pretty useless and limited. They have a great selection, but rarely have collection packs--and I hate buying individual papers because that adds up way too fast. So I'm not sure what I'll be doing for most of my scrappy shopping anymore. I guess I'll just have to watch for sales here, and hope I've seen things I like beforehand in my LSS--I too like to see before I buy as the colors are never quite the same.

olleharr
Mayor
olleharr
In response to HuskerMom98

I have been very pleased with the 12x12 paper pad selection at Michaels though. If you look closely they have a lot of the American Craft paper line only they sell them under a different name and the Recollections brand. They are the same exact paper designs.

OlesyaK.
Diva
OlesyaK.
In response to olleharr

geez ok calm down. you have three stores in the area, plus the LSS (if the area is big enough for three department stores, there must be a scrapbooking store too). some people don't have even that much..

Here in Canada we only have Michaels, not even other stores, and the releases don't get updated as quickly as in the States. Online shopping is expensive with shipping and taxes. My LSS is good for paper collections but not so good for tapes and tools and stickers.

And honestly, how often do you really buy hot new collections right off the press and toss the remaining papers from the release 6 months ago?? p-leeease...

CrimsonMama
Mayor
CrimsonMama
In response to olleharr

Yes I've noticed that about Ms Recollections brand. I have on pas that is MME Miss Caroline redo.... Is that American Crafts? My Minds Eye, I mean...anyway, pretty cute.

I can't live by one paper company alone!

I will say I have quite a lot of DCWV but I haven't cared for any of their new lines in a while.

There is one very tiny local stamp store near me that has a lot of really good paper lines including a full compliment of G45.

bonprof
Queen
bonprof
In response to PhotobearSam

That's how i felt before sb.com. I love , love shopping here!!

ckair 
Veteran
  • ckair on 01-20-14 05:10 PM
In response to bonprof

Archiver's is about 2 miles from my home. I am so sad!! I love to buy the new paper lines and coordinating embellishments. There are no other stores that carry the newest products around me. I will be shopping here, and purchasing on free shipping day!! Everyone help me remember to check for free shipping days!!

Shutterbugg
Idol
Shutterbugg
In response to ckair

I like shopping at sb.com because they have things that the local M's and HL don't have. We still have a LSS just a few miles away but I have never been able to go there because their store hours are during the week (when I am at work) and they close before I get home. They're not open on the weekends, sadly. So, as much as I would love to support them, the only way I can do that is by attending their once a month all day crops (which they are starting up again in Feb! Yippy!). We have an archivers about 15 minutes from where I live but I have never been there because I can find everything I need between SB.com, M's & HL.

bonprof
Queen
bonprof
In response to ckair

They have specials and coupons every day here! Yahoo!

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 01-20-14 05:32 PM
In response to bonprof

And make sure you have your birthday in your profile, you get a $5 coupon which is close enough to free shipping in my book

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 01-20-14 05:37 PM
In response to OlesyaK.

• OlesyaK. Said:
... (if the area is big enough for three department stores, there must be a scrapbooking store too)

I have SIX major department stores nearby (Macy's, Nordstrom, Barneys, Saks, Neimans, Bloomies) plus Penneys, Kohls, and Sears, and the closest scrapbooking store (besides M's and J's which don't count because 95% of the time I go in I don't buy a single thing) is an hour drive each way, plus a $5 bridge toll.

I'll happily pay for shipping to avoid this.

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny
In response to stick

• stick Said:
And make sure you have your birthday in your profile, you get a $5 coupon which is close enough to free shipping in my book

Whaaat? My birthday is in my profile and I have never gotten a birthday coupon.

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny
In response to HuskerMom98

• HuskerMom98 Said:
...no...some of Joann's paper is at least 8 years old...because I started scrapping when my oldest was 3 months old and he'll be 9 in MAY!!! I seriously want to cry when I see the same paper I bought early on in the store...

Wow, see, this is a thing I actually love, being able to go back and get stuff I loved without worrying that it'll be gone six months after it's released. In mid-2002 I made an album of my trip to England, and used some wonderful rock wall paper from Joann's. in part of it. Eight years later, when I needed a paper like that for a page in my Hawaii scrapbook, I was able to find that exact paper that I had loved. In fact, I have actually had someone comment on that Hawaii page in my gallery, wanting to know where the paper came from.

chocolateaxel
Mayor
chocolateaxel
In response to OlesyaK.

I don't know what it's like in Canada since I've not been there, but in the States it doesn't necessarily equate that if you have a number of big box stores or department stores that you will have a LSS also. Here in central Oklahoma, we are lucky enough to have a couple of really nice scrapbook stores, stamp stores, along with the big box stores. But that isn't the case in all areas. I used to live in a suburb of Houston, Tx, a huge metropolitan area, and while there was a big box store everywhere you looked, there were only 2 or 3 scrapbook stores. I have been to several very large cities across the United States that had big box stores everywhere with no scrapbook stores.
And does it really matter if one plans to buy all of the latest and greatest? Why should one be forced to settle for the same old paper lines that the box stores carry?

950nancy
Diva
950nancy
In response to chocolateaxel

I always buy the new lines. I like to see them and touch them. Once in a while I will find a use for the old stuff, but new lines of Bo Bunny, Fancy Pants, Echo Park, and LYB are what I love.

andrea m
Mayor
andrea m
In response to 950nancy

I live where I have to drive 2 hours to any box store or lss. I buy 90% of my stuff here. I do buy the newest lines. I already have a list of the new cha stuff I want to purchase. I Like to buy my papers by collection packs. I don't buy stacks as I never use them. I cant remember the last time I even looked at the papers at j's or m's.

Luvmyfam
Governor
Luvmyfam
In response to andrea m

I buy my paper online here. No archivers near me, and I have the same complaint about our J's and M's. I started scrapping in 2004 and these stores still carry the same exact loose paper. I do like the stacks, but they are often damaged or have missing pages, on top of being old.

aubrieannie
Veteran
aubrieannie
In response to Luvmyfam

The Joanne's near me has started carrying a few new paper lines, but still not enough. I buy here. But I will say that Joanne's has recently started stocking more mixed media and Tim Holtz and florals and things. The embellishment selection is getting better...as is the ink selection. But I think part of that is because one of the ones I go to is the main store...as in the corporate headquarters is there. I'm pretty sure it is thus stocked better than any of the others.

bonprof
Queen
bonprof
In response to aubrieannie

I live in Southern Ca and we have some amazing lss here. We also have j's and m's. i wont go into j's. Their stores are run down and dirty. I go to m's once in awile for cardstock. Truth be told, prices at sb.com are better! And it's so fun to come home from work to find a pkg!! I also love managing my stuff through the wishlist here.

OlesyaK.
Diva
OlesyaK.
In response to stick

• stick Said:
  • OlesyaK. Said:
... (if the area is big enough for three department stores, there must be a scrapbooking store too)

I have SIX major department stores nearby (Macy's, Nordstrom, Barneys, Saks, Neimans, Bloomies) plus Penneys, Kohls, and Sears, and the closest scrapbooking store (besides M's and J's which don't count because 95% of the time I go in I don't buy a single thing) is an hour drive each way, plus a $5 bridge toll.

I'll happily pay for shipping to avoid this.

Sigh.. not the department department stores, I meant big department CRAFT stores (i.e. Joanns, M's, HL, etc.). If there are THREE big craft stores in the area, there is market and buying power. And with one of the stores closing, there will be a void and sooner or later a smart businesswoman will come along and open a scrapbook store.

I just don't get the panic - so what, the store is closing.. give up the hobby altogether? those who want will find a way.... CM has closed just recently and people were saying the same thing.. "what am I gonna do!"
dust off and move on, I say..

*jesse*
Idol
*jesse*
In response to OlesyaK.

I am lucky to still have one great LSS nearby; I buy 90% of my supplies there. I very rarely even look at supplies at J's, M's, and HL (although I love HL for other things!) for the same reasons already mentioned. I also agree that the store here is great, but I don't like shopping for supplies online unless I already know exactly what I want. The closest Archiver's was two hours away from me, so while I will miss going there once a year or so, it's not my main shopping place. Now if my LSS were ever to close, I'd be screwed.

chocolateaxel
Mayor
chocolateaxel
In response to *jesse*

I love online shopping for most things, but there are times when I just want to be surrounded by lots of scrappy goodness. Or perhaps I'm looking for a perfect color match for a particular project. Those are the times I really value having the LSS and the rubber stamp store nearby. HL, M's and J's are fine for cardstock, inks, ribbon, things like that that are staples, but when I want to let my imagination wander these stores don't do the trick, since so much of their product has been there forever.
I know it's extremely difficult for a shop owner to compete with the big box stores, and almost impossible for them to stock as much of the new products as we would like to see, so I do buy from them as often as possible, even though I can't use coupons and things aren't on sale. I just figure the lack of sales and coupons offsets what I would pay in shipping, lol.

Veteran
In response to stick

Really sad to read their little letter about the craft industry. Do you agree that it has scaled down in the past few years? I'm always afraid scrapooking will die out just as I finally have some money to spend on it and we'll be back to the pre-EK Success-Bo-Bunny-Graphic- 45-era where scrapbooking was in the dark ages. Do you see us ever returning there, or are embellishments, specialty papers, and die cuts here to stay?

meezerpleaser
Diva
meezerpleaser
In response to stick

The Michaels I have is 40 minutes away and is the closest store that sells sb items. Hobby Lobby is another 10 minutes beyond that. NO lss in my area at all. So I got behind having to actually see the supplies... because I just can't. I do all my shopping online, except for emergencies when I need cardstock. Otherwise, M's sells stinky paper (Recollections, I'm looking at you) and I'm not a fan of DCWV, which is I think the other brand my M's sells. And my local M's stopped carrying Bazzill!! WAH! Thank goodness for sb.com and their huge line of products - best on the internet, IMO.

MommaSaid
Mayor
MommaSaid
In response to stick

Truth: I do the largest chunk of my shopping here. Not only does sb.com have a massive selection, but I can also trust my order to arrive safe and sound.

With that said, I can guarantee that actually jumped and clapped like a happy lil paper-dork, last Spring, when I saw that my local J carried three brand new lines from Basic Grey. At the time, it looked like sb.com wasn't going to carry them at all.

DianaGail
Tenant
DianaGail
In response to MommaSaid

I don't buy any of my paper at the joannn or Michaels except my card stock. I am a sucker for coredinations and our Michaels now carries bazzil. I get most of my paper from a local business woman who holds weekend crops in the area and runs a store at the crops when she has them.

BlingQueenRia
Angel
BlingQueenRia
In response to DianaGail

I have HL and M's, and I don't buy much from them but my Cricut mats/blades and my adhesive in bulk. I'm lucky, I have an awesome LSS a few miles from me. She has all of the latest and greatest papers, but does not deal in Cricut supplies.

JenKoss
Veteran
JenKoss
In response to BlingQueenRia

I'm fortunate to have access to two great LSS's, plus two M's stores (I'm in Canada too, and we don't have J's or Archiver's). I've never really been one to keep up with all the latest collections, but both LSS's seem like they carry all the new stuff. M's always has new products too, but it seems like it's mostly Recollections and Martha Stewart. Although I was looking at some new DCWV stacks the other day that looked neat...burlap, canvas, corrugated and all sorts of other textured papers. I would love to be able to shop here but the shipping cost makesvthe prices high enough that it's not worth it, so I make do with what I can find locally.

jaxxan
jaxxan 
Mayor
jaxxan
In response to preraphaelitess

As to your question about the industry scaling down, I think what we are seeing is the transition to a maturing stage of the industry.
It was a frenzy in the beginning in the late 90's early 2000's stores and small manufacturers were popping up like crazy. Money was flowing which got the attention of larger companies who then started the consolidation period and now things are maturing. I don't think it will ever go away, in fact product is consistently coming out at least three times a year. A declining industry wouldn't be able to sustain that.

It just transitioning and settling in right now. In my opinion….

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics