Username Post: I love my scraproom...but...        (Topic#1601411)
Expert

I wish I could have everything I own on display and not in storage boxes. I forget I have things, forget to use things...I look at a layout when it's finished and think, Oh I should have used xxx punch for a border down that side...etc. Out of sight definately seems to be out of mind for me, specially the older I get

bonprof
Queen
bonprof
In response to christiscraps61

I love my scrap-room, but....no buts for me. I did not have one for soooo many years. I am like a pig in slop when I am in there. May I suggest pulling your paper, punches, embellies, into a big kit, if you will, before you begin. Clear off a space somewhere where you can put your "kit" . This is what works for me.

Solitaire
Expert
Solitaire
In response to bonprof

Make a catalog of each of your items. This will take a long time but is worth it in the end. Use a separate loose-leaf binder for each category of tools. For example, if you have a lot of punches, punch out a sample of each one on a strip or sheet of paper and label it before placing it in your binder. Also list where those punches are located and label the storage box with the corresponding name or number. When done, just look over your catalogs to select what you need for a project.

For consumables, such as paper or stickers, organize them by color, season, or whatever makes sense to you, and place them in clear plastic containers.

bonprof
Queen
bonprof
In response to Solitaire

I also wanted to say that my scrap room needs to be serene and open. I have seen photos of rooms where everything was hanging on the wall. Its not for me.

lowdertiff
Tenant
lowdertiff
In response to bonprof

Could you have a section on your desk/table where you keep a basket of product that you switch out regularly? For example, you could change the stuff out once a month and challenge yourself to use something out of your basket each time you scrapbook. I've done a variation of that before and have had some good luck with it.

Veteran
In response to lowdertiff

I'm finding myself decorating the wall above my scrap table with supplies. That way I get to enjoy their beauty and know what I have and where it is at a glance. It's beginning to look more like a scrapbook store than a craft space,lol! But I enjoy it1

Expert
In response to preraphaelitess

I love your ideas ladies, thanks for sharing them. I will certainly be trying them out

RedSquirrel UK
Diva
RedSquirrel UK

I have a desk in a corner, with shelves up both walls. Almost everything except the things in the drawers under the desk is in sight. I have it arranged so that the things I use the most are closest at hand. It works for me.

It's messy. No, it isn't messy, but nothing is colour or size-coordinated, so it doesn't look neat at all.

My main gripes are the usual one of I need more space, and that the light is rubbish. We've got some LED strips that DH has been going to fit under the lowest shelves for months, but he hasn't had time. It will get done. It's no use nagging every 6 months, is it?

Let me find a pic for you.
Week 2 organisation class By RedSquirrel

I need to point out that the bookcase on the right does not contain scrappy stuff, other than my albums on the bottom shelf.

jaxxan
jaxxan 
Mayor
jaxxan

I went through this a little while ago. Realizing I am a visual person but, can't have too much out or it is overwhelming, was a good jumping off point.

The other part that changed was my process. I used to just look for paper before starting my layout. Now I go through everything and pull anything that might work. I am not leary of doing that because I also organized with easy clean up in mind. When I over organized myself I felt like clean up was a huge chore.

It was hard to get over some old habits (like wanting to keep embellishments with the matching paper) , but I find I am mixing and matching more lines, using punches and stamps.

Loved the basket idea. I had some stamp sets sitting on my desk and I have been using them more than ever.

This is a great opportunity to take some time to learn about you and what works best for you. Plus you have a good reason to go through your stash.

mikrmouse
Resident
mikrmouse
In response to RedSquirrel UK

I have a 13x13 plastic bin that use when I go through my stuff to pull out what I want for this certain project I put everything I need in the bin. It takes me a while as I have tons of stuff. I have 3 of these bins and will also pull out for next project or layouts as I go through, if I know what I am doing next. I have been trying to use some of my older stuff on each project, trying to rotate my stuff around.

bonprof
Queen
bonprof
In response to mikrmouse

Love learning about so many ideas. I have an anxiety disorder, so if there is too much around me, I can't work. Everyone has to find their way.

wilbur
wilbur 
Expert
wilbur
In response to bonprof

anyone here use the scraprack organization system? I don't have one but have been reading about it.

I have my stuff organized. It is in containers on shelves that need pulled out for use. I don't know another way. I made a catalog of all my stamps and punches and usually make page kits before scrapping.

olleharr
Mayor
olleharr
In response to bonprof

• bonprof Said:
Love learning about so many ideas. I have an anxiety disorder, so if there is too much around me, I can't work. Everyone has to find their way.

I'm like that too. Clutter drives me insane. But if I don't have it out where I can see it or it isn't easy to get to I tend to forget about it and don't use it. I spend a lot of time thinking up ways to organize stuff in a way that's more useful to me. It's worth the time and effort if it works. I've figured out great ways to store my paper, stamps and dies. Still working on the other stuff.

Jmb6110
Tenant
Jmb6110
In response to olleharr

All of these posts are really good. I think part of the reason I haven't been scrapping is because all of my stuff is in the corner of the living room and, like one person said, out of sight, out of mind. I really like the idea of using my punches and putting the cutouts on a piece of paper in a binder so I can look at a glance to see what I have. I also like the idea of the basket. At one point I was using the basket to store some of my things but I do like the idea of putting all the things you need for a layout in the basket.

Juansmom
Idol
Juansmom
In response to wilbur

• wilbur Said:
anyone here use the scraprack organization system? I don't have one but have been reading about it.

I dont have a Scraprack, but I have organized my space according to Tiffany Spaulding's (the inventor of the Scraprack) guidelines: everything in rainbow order, themes, clear storage so I see what I have n can use it, buy with intent, all is in arms reach. Her method is soooo highly effective. I recommend it to anyone n everyone! In fact...shes teaching a webinar on her organization methods...starts this week I think. You can find the link on the Scraprack website.

That being said ...I know that clear boxes are the only way I can store anything...scrap supplies to Christmas decorations! My scrap stuff is all in arms reach of my swivel desk chair. Being organized helps cleanup go faster. And I like to grab paper, embellies, tools, anything that will coordinate before I start creating...alll green, all birthday, all girly stuff, etc. And my new rule is that I MUST find a sticker pack or ribbon or chipboard or SOMETHING to use on the page-preferably something thats been in the stash a while!

wilbur
wilbur 
Expert
wilbur
In response to Juansmom

thank you Juansmom about the scraprack. I agree, Tiffany's organization guidelines are most helpful. I follow the challenges but never really do it in her 4 categories.

notanavgblond
Mayor
notanavgblond
In response to wilbur

This thread has given me the inspiration I need to once again clean my scraproom. It really isn't that bad right now. Mostly just the mess I made from a recent embellishment rich LO. Plus I have a few that I have already started, sitting in my travel box. It always makes it easier to clean up knowing that I won't be starting from scratch on my next LO (plus now I will have some actual space to work on it).

Lots of great tips on here. But more importantly it feels good knowing everyone has their own struggles with their spaces. I am one of those that cannot work in a crazy mess. I'll even avoid going into my scraproom, if its too messy. When its messy I can't go in there and be creative...I can only focus on cleaning. But the mind is mysterious. By the time I am 90% clean, I have already started generating new ideas for my next LO(s). Its nice to know that others feel the same way.

bonprof
Queen
bonprof
In response to notanavgblond

I am the same way, as I am cleaning, I am meditating on new ideas. "Order Is Grace" St. Augustine once said. Something magical really does happen as I pull things to order.

notanavgblond
Mayor
notanavgblond
In response to bonprof

ALSO! As I clean I am exposed to (almost) all of my materials again, so that helps me remember what I have. This keeps everything fresh.

olleharr
Mayor
olleharr
In response to notanavgblond

I'm slowly going through and cleaning my scraproom this week too. The biggest problem I have is starting something and not finishing it. Then I have these piles tucked away here and there of unfinished projects. Those are real hard to store and sorting through them is a real chore.

anda11
anda11 
Governor
anda11

that happens to me too

missuslucky
Resident
missuslucky
In response to Solitaire

• Solitaire Said:
Make a catalog of each of your items. This will take a long time but is worth it in the end. Use a separate loose-leaf binder for each category of tools. For example, if you have a lot of punches, punch out a sample of each one on a strip or sheet of paper and label it before placing it in your binder. Also list where those punches are located and label the storage box with the corresponding name or number. When done, just look over your catalogs to select what you need for a project.

For consumables, such as paper or stickers, organize them by color, season, or whatever makes sense to you, and place them in clear plastic containers.

When I first read this post it sounded overwhelming, but I gave it some thought and think i have an idea to make it more manageable (in my mind anyway! ;)). You could make a plan to categorize one item type every so often. It might be weekly or monthly, but if you are consistent, you will eventually get it all done. For me, I would likely use this system for punches, inks, dies, and possibly stamps. I have so many stamps that thinking about cataloging them puts me in a cold sweat Anyway, it's like the riddle/joke "how do you eat an elephant"? "One bite at a time!

mrsdriver5
Diva
mrsdriver5
In response to missuslucky

I do much the same thing as Solitaire, except I keep it all on my computer. I either take a picture of the item or find a picture in the sb store and do a screen print to save into a file, along with info. on name, model, color, price, etc. I have files for dies, stamps, stencils, punches, etc. It's easy to scroll through to see what I have and I keep a copy of the file on my phone so I have it when I go shopping. It takes a long time, but it's so worth it to me. I don't do it for paper because I don't care if I buy duplicate papers and I have way too much to try to start now.

I also keep a spreadsheet inventory. I send this to people who ask what I don't have when they're shopping for gifts :>)

This is a sample of what one of the folders looks like:
Stamp Folder Screen Shot (Extra Lg.) By Mrsdriver5

OlesyaK.
Diva
OlesyaK.
In response to jaxxan

• jaxxan Said:
I went through this a little while ago. Realizing I am a visual person but, can't have too much out or it is overwhelming, was a good jumping off point.

The other part that changed was my process. I used to just look for paper before starting my layout. Now I go through everything and pull anything that might work. I am not leery of doing that because I also organized with easy clean up in mind. When I over organized myself I felt like clean up was a huge chore.

It was hard to get over some old habits (like wanting to keep embellishments with the matching paper) , but I find I am mixing and matching more lines, using punches and stamps.

Loved the basket idea. I had some stamp sets sitting on my desk and I have been using them more than ever.

This is a great opportunity to take some time to learn about you and what works best for you. Plus you have a good reason to go through your stash.

Jill, that's exactly what I do! I get a few pages ready (match up the pics to the sketches), then lay them all out on the bed (my scraproom doubles as grandma guest bedroom) and go through the entire stash - papers first, then embellies and stickers, and pull out anything that might work with any of the pages. same in reverse - what didn't work goes in the reject pile that I clean up once in a while.

yellowstar
Resident
yellowstar
In response to olleharr

I loved my room until it turned into a catch all room of junk and also I don't like hiding away from the open space living room. The struggle is real.

chocolateaxel
Mayor
chocolateaxel
In response to yellowstar

I love my scraproom, but I wish it were bigger. I just have way too much stuff in way too small a space.
But I love the fact that I have my own space where I can get away from the activity and noise in the rest of the house, where I control whether I watch tv or listen to music or simply have silence. Even though it's small and right now messy and cluttered, it is my sanctuary!

bonprof
Queen
bonprof
In response to chocolateaxel

Darla, love that word sanctuary! I agree. That's what my room is to me.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics