Username Post: Did you reach you 2017 scrapping goals        (Topic#1667867)
Henri Jean
Angel
Henri Jean

Now that 2018 is a week away, did you reach your personal scrapping goals you set for yourself in 2017.

I am pleased to say that for the most part, I hit them. I exceeded the number of pages I picked as a goal for the volume challenge.

I had nearly 3,000 background papers to scan. My husband got me a scrapbook scanner for Christmas a few years ago. I thought I would reach that goal by the end of the next year, but truth is, I go so sick of scanning that I really worked at it and finished it in October this year - over a year ahead of schedule. I had to get it done and out of the way.

For scrapbook pages - I went into 2017 with pages to scrap from mid-to-late 2015. I caught those up, and did all of 2016 and started 2017. My goal had been to catch up in 2017 which I did not do. However, I got to March and there aren't a lot of pictures for last year.

However, I pretty much stayed on target with a book a month and finished 12 books this year plus a book for my step daughter, so that was 13 books this year!

I had hoped to get some of the cookbook I'm making for my mother done. Did not do one page of it this year.

I love to make goals and am really happy when I make them, when I don't, I don't beat myself up. Its just something I wanted to work toward, knowing that life sometimes gets in the way.

I do love that feeling of accomplishment though when I reach a goal!

gluemore girl
Pro
gluemore girl
In response to Henri Jean

Wow! Congrats Henri Jean! That is wonderful that you accomplished so much this year! 13 books in a year is amazing!

I did not set a goal this year except to scrap at regular intervals. That changed in April after my MIL passed. When cleaning out her home I found a box of photos and keepsakes of DH in his college and post college years: trips and annual parties that he threw in his parent's backyard. DH turned 60 this year as well. So for Christmas I made him a scrapbook of all those pictures, postcards, and ticket stubs. He really loved it and had forgotten those pictures existed. My goal was to give it to him by Christmas.

Henri Jean
Angel
Henri Jean
In response to gluemore girl

What a sweet gift! I can imagine he would love it - congratulations on reaching that goal!

SoonerT
Governor
SoonerT

No. I learned my iPad consume way too much of my time. I have taken it off ,y lap during this Christmas break and have completed two layouts to bring my total for the year to32 traditional layouts. Now, I did do a December Daily and a couple of project life style spreads.

Sewflake
Governor
Sewflake
In response to SoonerT

I did not reach my goal either... for the second year in a row!! Although I did quite well and am happy overall. Life gave me unexpected events that consume more of my time.

I did make way more cards than I ever planned to do and bought more stamps!!! Which I had NO plans to start doing that again!!!

I will have to decide if I am going to set a goal for 2018.......

anda11
anda11 
Governor
anda11

My sweet Henri you are the only one that I know who sets such lofty goals of scrapping and acheives it mostly you have honed your skills to acheive this goal too

t-towngirl
Mayor
t-towngirl
In response to anda11

Yes! I met and exceeded my goal. Well, my goal was only 50 for the year, but I actually finished about 58 los.

Hoping to do better next year.

Henri Jean
Angel
Henri Jean
In response to t-towngirl

Sharon - I know exactly what you mean - life takes turns sometimes and scrapbooking and craft projects have to take a back seat.

Sometimes I just get too busy and can't just "play all day" but for the most part, I am able to spend as much scrapping as I want.

When my kids were young and I was working full-time - there would be no way I could devote time to scrapping - or very little time!

don1
don1 
Expert
don1
  • don1 on 01-01-18 08:39 PM

Hobbies don't need goals.

gluemore girl
Pro
gluemore girl
In response to don1

• don1 Said:
Hobbies don't need goals.

Such wisdom in that statement! Love it!

Henri Jean
Angel
Henri Jean

I enjoy it more when I have goals. Even with hobbies, I have things I want to accomplish - it makes me feel so good when I accomplish what I planned.

To me, goals are like a game and I love them. I've been that way all my life.

I think that is the best way to describe my feelings - I love scrapping but I love the finished product too and I need the goals to get me to that point - a complete scrapbook that I can enjoy and my family can enjoy.

I made scrapbooks for my step daughter and each of the granddaughters - definitely had a goal to get those three books finished in time to mail and receive by Christmas!

Cooking is another hobby for me, but the goal is to get it done and on the table for dinner or if it is Christmas baking, the goal was to get it finished before Christmas got here - or in my case, to take them to my mother's for Christmas.

Often craft projects are gifts, as my mother's cookbook will be a gift, then I have to keep my eye on the goal of giving it to her by Christmas next year.

Some people are just goal oriented and for that segment of us, it makes the hobby a lot more fun.

And it is definitely a goal for me to get my books finished so it can be enjoyed. My mother used to make beautiful clothes but even though it was a hobby, she had goals sometimes for when a piece of clothing was going to be worn. She made a costume for something at church once - she definitely had a goal!

So sometimes hobbies have goals and sometimes they don't. I enjoy them more when I have a goal.

bears99
Diva
bears99

Isn't it nice that we aren't all the same? LOL I didn't set any written goals but had vowed to spend more time scrapping in 2017 than the year before and I did accomplish that! whew!

I finished my first cancer journey book and that made me feel really good. I'm not sure it is for anyone but me, but it certainly did make me feel humble to create it. I went back a few years to when I was diagnoised with cancer to begin the book....and through it I realized just how blessed I am to have so many friends and so much support!

gluemore girl
Pro
gluemore girl
In response to bears99

bears 99, Congrats on completing your first cancer journey book.
What a great accomplishment. I have a friend making a series of small albums about her daughter's journey through a life changing injury. It has to be healing in some ways to complete this type of album.

Henri Jean, It is fun to have goals set for yourself. Like bears, I am just focused on the goal of carving out scrap time at regular intervals and did so in 2017. I only missed my monthly scrap night due to my daughter's college grad day and my husband's 60th bday.... I told them not to have any other momentous occasions on my crop dates

Henri Jean
Angel
Henri Jean

I think it is awesome to make a cancer book to always look back on. You have to feel blessed when you look at it!

I really enjoy challenging myself. I love working on the projects but the pride of accomplishment is what makes it worth it for me.

Today I'm loading one of my books that I did last year to Shutterfly - finally through proofing and correcting. I can't wait to order it and get the finished book in hand!

Lutz
Lutz 
Veteran
Lutz
  • Lutz on 01-05-18 10:38 PM

I finished my goal. I love being able to check things off. In six months, I finish the last of my credentialing and I look forward to spending more time with my hobbies and I want to make a scrapbook for the Hawaii trip my husband and I went on last year.

Or was it the year before?

>_>

The years sure do go by fast.

Henri Jean
Angel
Henri Jean
In response to Lutz

I am working on a Hawaii book for last summer - got about 4 more pages of it to do. Then I'm scrapping an Alaska cruise from last year... then another Hawaii!

And now we will probably go back in the next month or two! Got to catch there up!

My goal for January was to do the album with Hawaii and some family stuff in it and I'm over 1/3 done! This one is digital and 26 pages have been done so far this year!

Then in February my goal is to do the Alaska-Hawaii book.

ppilgrim
Idol
ppilgrim

Yep, I did, but only because bitter experience has taught me not to get too ambitious. My main goal was to get my new scrap room up and running: that took longer than I thought it would, which cut into my creative time for a couple of months.

I still managed to get a lot of the year's adventures into albums though, AND I finished my PL album on time. As for this year, well, we'll see. I won't be doing a PL album for 2018 so the plan is to do a lot more layouts and mini albums. Time will tell, eh.

Henri Jean
Angel
Henri Jean
In response to ppilgrim

That is great - feels so good to me when I accomplish what I set out to accomplish.

This year my goals aren't as high but still high enough to keep me busy!

Veteran

I have never actually considered setting goals for scrapbooking. I may have to consider that for the future.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics