Page 2 of 2 
Username Post: ~*~Home Grown King's Kids~*~ (Homeschool Group)        (Topic#1493255)
Redeemed318
Guru
Redeemed318
In response to Piratefan21

Hello Everyone!

I have gone all winter without really getting sick, until last week I hope you all are doing well.. I am really looking forward to attempting a lap book. I was also thinking about doing a scrapbook for the 50 states. My daughter likes scrapping so I thought that would be a fun way to learn them.

Piratefan21
Idol
Piratefan21
In response to Redeemed318

Hope your feeling better, Topazia. Love the idea of a scrapbook for the 50 states. That would be a great way to learn because it's so "hands on"

I'm hoping to get pictures of one of our lapbooks up soon.

Jenny_Wren
Veteran
Jenny_Wren

• Piratefan21 Said:
  • Kings Kids Homeschool Said:
Hi everyone!

I have updated the very first post for everyone to read through. I hope everyone can participate this go 'round. I know I'm sure gonna try!

Piratefan21,

Please take a moment to tell us a little bit about yourself. There are a few questions that were asked in the first post of this thread that we used. You can also read through the first page and get to know everyone who posted about themselves. Thanks!

O.K. I have been married for almost 27 yrs. I have two ds - 23yo and 13yo. I have been homeschooling the 13 yo for 5 yrs. We use a Classical Christian curriculum, but also use other courses. My ds also plays piano and guitar and is involved in a theater school which produces a full scale musical every spring.
It's nice to meet other hs moms who also scrapbook!

I am so sorry! You already told us a little bit about yourself. I have been having some memory issues lately. I think it's related to my thyroid being out of whack! Please, excuse me. And, if it happens again or I forget something else, kindly remind me.

Jenny_Wren
Veteran
Jenny_Wren

• Redeemed318 Said:
Hello Everyone!

I have gone all winter without really getting sick, until last week I hope you all are doing well.. I am really looking forward to attempting a lap book. I was also thinking about doing a scrapbook for the 50 states. My daughter likes scrapping so I thought that would be a fun way to learn them.

I haven't been feeling well the past few days, either. I hope you start feeling better soon.

I have considered doing something with the 50 states, as well. I have some notebooking pages for our state. I think it would be neat to use a 3-ring binder and add pages as we study each state. Scrapbooking them sounds neat. Keep us posted on your ideas, if you wouldn't mind sharing. I'm interested.

Jenny_Wren
Veteran
Jenny_Wren

• Piratefan21 Said:
Hope your feeling better, Topazia. Love the idea of a scrapbook for the 50 states. That would be a great way to learn because it's so "hands on"

I'm hoping to get pictures of one of our lapbooks up soon.

I thought it was a neat idea, too.

Let us know when you upload pictures

Jalynne
Guru
Jalynne
In response to Mothership

I think for this month's challenge, we're going to take photos of our Terra Cotta army that we're starting tomorrow. We just finished Ancient China, and I thought it would be fun to make our own little terra cotta soldiers. What's great is that my gramma has actually seen this exhibit, so my daughter will bring her army to show her...and they'll have lots to talk about.

Piratefan21
Idol
Piratefan21
In response to Jenny_Wren

• Jenny_Wren Said:
  • Piratefan21 Said:
  • Kings Kids Homeschool Said:
Hi everyone!

I have updated the very first post for everyone to read through. I hope everyone can participate this go 'round. I know I'm sure gonna try!

Piratefan21,

Please take a moment to tell us a little bit about yourself. There are a few questions that were asked in the first post of this thread that we used. You can also read through the first page and get to know everyone who posted about themselves. Thanks!

O.K. I have been married for almost 27 yrs. I have two ds - 23yo and 13yo. I have been homeschooling the 13 yo for 5 yrs. We use a Classical Christian curriculum, but also use other courses. My ds also plays piano and guitar and is involved in a theater school which produces a full scale musical every spring.
It's nice to meet other hs moms who also scrapbook!

I am so sorry! You already told us a little bit about yourself. I have been having some memory issues lately. I think it's related to my thyroid being out of whack! Please, excuse me. And, if it happens again or I forget something else, kindly remind me.

That's o.k. I was confused because of the different user name and thought you were a new person.

Hope you're feeling better and that you get that thyroid thing straightened out.

Jalynne
Guru
Jalynne

• Quote:

Jenny-Wren It must be the time of year for that, because I'm having issues, too. I just can't seem to get enough sleep these days!

Going to to the doc on the 25th, to get this straightened out. Hope you can get yours figured out, too.

Mothership
Tenant
Mothership

I love this idea as well. I am very interested to see what you do with this. I might have to do something like this for myself.

I hope you get to feeling better. My family was sick a few weeks ago and I think that was the first time in about 4 years that I had been sick with anything other than allergies. It was absolutely awful. I forgot how bad a fever can make you feel. Get better.

Edited by Mothership on 03-12-09 01:52 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Mothership
Tenant
Mothership

I hope all of you get to feeling better soon.

Jalynne
Guru
Jalynne

jci

Jenny_Wren
Veteran
Jenny_Wren
In response to Jalynne

If you're taking part in this week's challenge, today is the day to upload pictures from a project your child has done. Remember, it can be anything from a lapbook, science project to a drawing or artwork of some kind. Really, it can be anything they've done and are proud of.

I'm going to post pictures of a project the 3 of my children did together. They did this a while back but it's one of our favorites. I'll be back shortly :)

Jenny_Wren
Veteran
Jenny_Wren

Okay, here is their project. We've been studying Creation Astronomy during the winter months. We used a kit I found on sale at Micheals and put together our own Solar System. The sprites painted the styrofoam balls with acrylic paints to match the planets in the pictures we were using. We planned on putting the planets on black foam board so we cut them in half. This allowed them to do two different boards. They also collected tiny rocks from our yard to use for the asteroid belt.

Solar System Project By Jenny_Wren

My daughters worked together on this one.

Solar System Project By Jenny_Wren

And this one was done mostly by my son.

Piratefan21
Idol
Piratefan21

That Solar System Project is great! (I wanted to say out of this world, but didn't want to sound corny, LOL).
Here are some pictures of our North America Lapbook. We made this one without a kit.
North America Lapbook By Piratefan21

Jalynne
Guru
Jalynne

we're baking our terra cotta army today...

Terra Cotta Army 1 By Jalynne

Terra Cotta Army 2 By Jalynne

Edited by Jalynne on 03-15-09 12:55 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Jenny_Wren
Veteran
Jenny_Wren

I love this lapbook! I learned quite a bit reading what I could make out. It's great that it was put together without a kit, too! Very creative and your son did a great job. Thanks for sharing.

Jenny_Wren
Veteran
Jenny_Wren
In response to Jalynne

I can tell a LOT of time went into putting this army together. It looks great. What will you do with it after you've finished baking it?

Jalynne
Guru
Jalynne

The army will be made into a diorama display. We're taking it on our trip to California next month, so she can show it to my gramma, who has seen the REAL terra cotta army. They'll have lots to talk about.

Keys
Keys 
Diva
Keys
  • Keys on 03-15-09 06:42 PM
In response to Jalynne

Just checking in.

Haven't got much done this week. #2 child decided to spike his temp at 104.7 this week. All that screeching you heard was me putting everyone here in standby for a trip to he ER. Luckily he cooperated and took his temp back down. He is doing fine now but Mommy is a bucket of mush.

Piratefan21
Idol
Piratefan21
In response to Jalynne

Wow! That terra cotta army looks amazing!

Micki - Hope you are all feeling better and getting back to "normal"

Jenny_Wren
Veteran
Jenny_Wren
In response to Jalynne

• Jalynne Said:
The army will be made into a diorama display. We're taking it on our trip to California next month, so she can show it to my gramma, who has seen the REAL terra cotta army. They'll have lots to talk about.

That is so neat and a great memory for both your daughter and Mother. The whole story would make a great layout, too.

Jenny_Wren
Veteran
Jenny_Wren
In response to Keys

• BibleKitty Said:
Just checking in.

Haven't got much done this week. #2 child decided to spike his temp at 104.7 this week. All that screeching you heard was me putting everyone here in standby for a trip to he ER. Luckily he cooperated and took his temp back down. He is doing fine now but Mommy is a bucket of mush.

Yikes!!! That's a pretty high fever. My 3 were running fevers but not that high. They're all feeling better now despite an annoying cough.

I hope you all get plenty of rest. Jump back in when you can.

Redeemed318
Guru
Redeemed318

Hello Everyone,

I love all the projects that you all have posted! I left some love. I have done a couple of pages but haven't had the chance to post them. I ordered an ott lamp from Joanns so I can take pics of my layouts inside.

Today is my birthday and I WILL get some scrapping done today

Piratefan21
Idol
Piratefan21

Happy Birthday, Topazia!
Have fun scrapping!

Piratefan21
Idol
Piratefan21

Oh, and thanks for the nice comments about the lapbook!

Redeemed318
Guru
Redeemed318

Thanks Tracey!

I had a great time, I'll post some layouts sometime this week

Jenny_Wren
Veteran
Jenny_Wren

How is everyone? I haven't been on in days. We've been going every single day for the last 2 weeks. I hope you're all doing well. We have a neighborhood garage sale this coming weekend. I'll be spending this week getting ready for that. I hope to have some time on Sunday to do a few layouts.

Check in and tell us how you're doing and what you're up to.

Blessings!

Piratefan21
Idol
Piratefan21

We've been busy here too. My ds has to take the Iowa Tests this week and my older ds is coming home this Saturday. He's been gone since last Oct. 31. He works as a piano player on a cruise ship. It will be good to see him again.

Hope everyone is well!

Redeemed318
Guru
Redeemed318

• Piratefan21 Said:
We've been busy here too. My ds has to take the Iowa Tests this week and my older ds is coming home this Saturday. He's been gone since last Oct. 31. He works as a piano player on a cruise ship. It will be good to see him again.

Hope everyone is well!

oohhh, what's an Iowa test??

Redeemed318
Guru
Redeemed318

Hello all,

I wanted to make sure that everyone knows about the Joanns teacher discount cards. This includes homeschooling moms!

All you have to do is take some type of identification in that shows that you are a teacher and they give you a card that enables you to get 15% off of everything, including sale stuff. They also give you a one time 20% off coupon to use on one item.

It has come in handy, especially since I already shop there, an additional 15% off is fabulous--and you just use it over and over again.

Piratefan21
Idol
Piratefan21

Iowa Tests are standardized tests. Here in PA, homeschooled students have to take them in grades 3,5,8 and 11. We have a list of different tests that we can choose from. I've just always liked the Iowa tests best. Not sure why they're called Iowa tests; they were probably developed in Iowa .

Jalynne
Guru
Jalynne

We have the WASL here...used to use the Iowa test. Of course, the WASL has gotten way out of hand...becoming a two week ordeal (not exaggerating). So the new Superintendent is reformatting the test to make it much shorter, and more relevant. I can hardly wait. this has been a huge bone of contention in this state. Until then, we take an online assessment, called MAP, through our alternative learning program. I like it a lot, and it is a much better test.

Piratefan21
Idol
Piratefan21
In response to Jalynne

Wow, do you mean you have to do tests every day for two weeks? That does sound like an ordeal!

Jalynne
Guru
Jalynne

yeah...it stinks. We opted out (which most people don't realize they can do....), and the MAP test only takes 2 hours!

Jenny_Wren
Veteran
Jenny_Wren
In response to Jalynne

JCI

Have any of you been to lapbooklessons.com? I just found them about a week ago. They have some really neat pictures and videos of lapbooks and how-tos. If you become a member, you have access to their templates. Membership is FREE! Just thought you might like to check it out.

Piratefan21
Idol
Piratefan21
In response to Jalynne

• Jalynne Said:
yeah...it stinks. We opted out (which most people don't realize they can do....), and the MAP test only takes 2 hours!

So many people don't read the homeschooling laws for their state but just do what other people tell them. Two hours sounds a lot better than two weeks!

Jenny - thanks for the info on that lapbook site.

Hope everyone has a blessed and productive week!

Jalynne
Guru
Jalynne

I agree with you, Tracey. Another example is that most parents don't realize that in Washington, until your child turns 8 years old, school is not compulsory. At that point, to homeschool you only have to either have a 2 year degree, or take an 8 hour class on how to homeschool, then file an intent to homeschool.

I'm tired of all the cookie cutters, molds and cattle ramps we're taught....and believe me, if there's a way I can find to get around the system to do the things we need to do for our family, I'm gonna do it. I never worked as a paralegal, but my 2 year degree has come in handy...LOL.

Redeemed318
Guru
Redeemed318
In response to Jalynne

We do the California Achievement tests in the beginning of each school year...

And the lapbook classes sound great!! I may have to look into that

Redeemed318
Guru
Redeemed318

Here are two homeschool layouts I've done recently. One is the first day of school this year, and the other one is our trip to the bug museum.

First Day of Fourth Grade By Redeemed318

Madagascar Hissing Cockroach By Redeemed318

Piratefan21
Idol
Piratefan21

Those los are great! I can't believe your daughter held that cockroach. My son wouldn't go anywhere near it!

Mothership
Tenant
Mothership

These are awesome layouts.

Keys
Keys 
Diva
Keys
  • Keys on 04-07-09 05:27 PM

Shhhhhhhh!

Don't tell my kids I'm back on here and wanting to do some scrapbooking - one of them will get sick again!

Piratefan21
Idol
Piratefan21
In response to Keys

Happy Easter everyone!

Keys
Keys 
Diva
Keys
  • Keys on 04-15-09 09:42 AM

We have had the cutest little wild bird "adopt" our front porch. She is building her nest there. She will let the boys go out and watch her but no grownups are allowed - even carrying food! They have thrown out all kinds of stuff she can pick up for her nest. So far she has ignored it. I need to take pics now.

Redeemed318
Guru
Redeemed318
In response to Keys

Thanks for the love on the layouts... she is a special kind of child because I would not hold that thing either... she kept trying to get me too and I thought I might, but I just couldn't bring myself to. I probably would have ended up smashing it with my foot

Jalynne
Guru
Jalynne

As much as I hate to, I'm having to really pare down on my 'extracurricular' activities. We're starting to look for a house to buy, and helping a friend who is going through a really crazy divorce. I'd like to say I'd be able to keep up with the chatter here, but it's just not realistic. Thanks so much for including me

Piratefan21
Idol
Piratefan21
In response to Jalynne

Jalynne - This sure is a busy time of year. I'll be praying for your family as you look for a house and your friend, (and her family), who is going through a divorce.

We give thanks to God always for all of you, making mention of you in our prayers; constantly bearing in mind your work of faith and labor of love and steadfastness of hope in our Lord Jesus Christ in the presence of our God and Father, I Thess. 2-3

Edited by Piratefan21 on 04-27-09 06:45 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Piratefan21
Idol
Piratefan21

I guess this is a busy time of year for everyone - esp. homeschoolers. Here in PA we have to do a portfolio and have an evaluation. I'm sad to say that after five years, this will be our last year of homeschooling. My ds will be going to a private parochial high school starting in August. It's within walking distance of our house and is very good in both academics and discipline. He is excited about it. I've enjoyed meeting all of the other homeschoolers here and I'm sure I'll see you on other message boards around sb.com .

Redeemed318
Guru
Redeemed318

I wish you well Tracey with your family's new venture

Page 2 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics