Page 1 of 8 
Username Post: Frugal Scrappers OPEN AND ACTIVE        (Topic#1529021)
Ruthiez
Pro
Ruthiez

I thought I would try to start a group for those of us on a very tight scraping budget. I thought it would be a good way to share tips and support each other. It's an expensive hobby so having others to help you stay strong and fight temptation is important.
I hope that it will also be a place to talk and give each other feed back. Since you are getting in at the ground level you can help shape this group to what you want.

****This is for those of you serious about being frugal****
~Ruthie

I decided to delete the member list since people tend to come and go.

Edited by Ruthiez on 07-10-10 08:33 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

abbynormaloh75
Guru
abbynormaloh75
In response to Ruthiez

i would love to join. i am currently unemployed and so if i want to scrap i have to scrap on a budget. there is no way i can spend $15 on embellies for one layout. thanks for starting this group for other people who are on a tight budget.

Ruthiez
Pro
Ruthiez
In response to abbynormaloh75

I'm glad to have you. My husband is a grad student and don't make a lot so I have make do. It'll be fun to see what other tricks other people have for stretching a penny.

huskerfan
Guru
huskerfan
In response to Ruthiez

Hi, I would like to join too.We are on a tight budget also. My husband and son have kept me stocked up on stuff by buying me scrapbooking stuff for christmas, birthday that kind of thing. Also some wonderful ladies on here were sweet and sent me things they were not going to use.Great idea starting this group.

RockStar
Queen
RockStar
In response to huskerfan

Oh cool! I'm work 2 days a week, just 16 hours, so I have plenty of time but not a whole lot of money LOL!

Can I ask if this group will eventually 'close' when you hit a certain number of 'members'?
Will you be having challenges and critiqueing as well?
Or will it be just for sharing, chatting, exchanging ideas?
I'll save this topic to my faves if that's ok.

Tayrina BCStudio
Veteran
Tayrina BCStudio
In response to RockStar

Hi My name is Tayrina!!! I love scrapbooking, and because I love it, Im always trying to get the best sales and be the less expensive when buying supplies!!! Im always looking for stores online that sells quality and quantity for less!!!

For that reason I also practice digital scrapbooking, creating my own embellishments and papers... this way I can mantain my memories and Layouts in digital, not having to pay for printing.

I combine both too!

I will be pleased to be part of this group and share, ideas and tips about how to make LO's and practice scrapbooking with less money.

Ruthiez
Pro
Ruthiez
In response to RockStar

• flightobl Said:

Can I ask if this group will eventually 'close' when you hit a certain number of 'members'?
Will you be having challenges and critiqueing as well?
Or will it be just for sharing, chatting, exchanging ideas?
I'll save this topic to my faves if that's ok.

I was thinking to do those kinds of things. I wanted to know what kind of interest there would be in that. I"ll admit I"m new to running a group so I was thinking to ease my way in.
If you are all patient well I figure it out I"m sure we will have great time. As far as if it will close I did intend to do that. I'm just not sure when and how many members.

RockStar
Queen
RockStar
In response to Ruthiez

Ok, thanks for your prompt answer, I appreciate it!

In that case, I'll bow out simply because I don't do challenges or critiques.

Good luck with your new group!

provinca
Governor
provinca
In response to RockStar

This sounds like a GREAT idea. I'm definitely a frugal scrapper and am always looking for new ideas. As a matter of fact, my New Year's resolution was to not shop until I went to CKC in April -- so far so good!

Also, this past weekend, I was going through all my "stuff" b/c I had told a co-worker that I would donate stuff I knew I wouldn't be using to her afterschool scrapbooking club. Well, while I was sorting through the bottomless pit of embellies, I was in awe with the amount of "stuff" I have accumulated. Even after weeding out what I was going to give her, I was totally and completely overwhelmed with what was left. This is what I did:

I took every package that was not opened yet (and there were LOTS of those) and I put them in a box marked "store". Then I organized all the stuff that was opened and partially used. I told myself that when I scrap, I must go through what is already open and partially used first. If I truly can't find anything that will work, then I can go "shopping" in my "store". Again, so far so good -- only made one LO since then, but it was made with scrap paper and embellies that were collecting dust!

BubbleDragon
Tenant
BubbleDragon
In response to provinca

Oh, I would love to join. I'm a stay at home mom to 4 month old twins and while I do have some room for scrapbooking in the budget as my 'sanity time,' it's not much. I try to make up my own titles and fancy bits to stretch what I do allot myself.

More later - typing one handed with sleeping babe on my chest right now.

Renee305
Idol
Renee305
In response to BubbleDragon

Hi I would love to join!!
While in the past I have spent quite a lot on supplies my current partner isn't as "excited" as me to spend so much money on a "craft" lol.

So most of my shopping is done in discount stores and I try and find things I can convert into embellies, hair clips pulled apart are always a cheap way to make your own embellies and I buy fake flowers and pull them apart to use the petals as well.

Can't wait to make some new friends and learn some new tips!!

wilbur
wilbur 
Expert
wilbur
In response to Renee305

when this is closed will the rest of us be able to read the posts? I would like to read all and if I have any ideas I will post it.

SwirlyGirl
Veteran
SwirlyGirl
In response to wilbur

I would love to join as well. I've never been a member of a group before. I tend to lurk around here. But this sounds right up my alley.

j3Mel
j3Mel 
Idol
j3Mel
  • j3Mel on 02-25-10 11:28 AM
In response to SwirlyGirl

I'm in ladies!!! I try to be as frugal as possible and I'm also a 4-H leader for scrapbooking. We start this weekend so I'm always looking for inexpensive things to teach the kids on making their own embellishments.

Speaking of....anybody know of any good sites for punch art patterns....simple things. I know how to do flowers and 3/4 leaf clovers....I need some other things for them to make with my punches!!

Tenant
In response to j3Mel

Great idea! Like many of you, one of my main budget "tricks" is to always shop my stash first - it's amazing what you can do with scraps! Love to see others examples and ideas!

provinca
Governor
provinca
In response to j3Mel

• j3Mel Said:
I'm in ladies!!! I try to be as frugal as possible and I'm also a 4-H leader for scrapbooking. We start this weekend so I'm always looking for inexpensive things to teach the kids on making their own embellishments.

Speaking of....anybody know of any good sites for punch art patterns....simple things. I know how to do flowers and 3/4 leaf clovers....I need some other things for them to make with my punches!!

Mel, here's a link to an sb.com thread about punches. The OP has some links for making a leprauchaun, a chick, a bunny, and if you scroll down, there are some others, too.

Good luck

sunshineann
Resident
sunshineann
In response to Scrapping My Adventures

This sounds like fun. I come up with alot of things i use from around the house..and my kids room. I too have never been a part of a group, and lurk around in here and have recently just starting posting in the forum.

j3Mel
j3Mel 
Idol
j3Mel
  • j3Mel on 02-25-10 01:00 PM
In response to sunshineann

Anna............

j3Mel
j3Mel 
Idol
j3Mel
  • j3Mel on 02-25-10 01:05 PM
In response to j3Mel

well that would have made more sense if I had finished the post........

Anna.....the link isn't showing up.....don't know if you forgot it or it was eaten by the posting disposal......anyway....I'd love to see that link. Anything I can use to show them how to make page embellishments with scraps would be wooonnndeerful!!

SheCre8s
Expert
SheCre8s
In response to j3Mel

OOOOOOOOOO This is me single mom of two on disability no help from dad so I am definately a frugal scrapper

Tenant
In response to SheCre8s

Count me in! I'm frugal, unemployed, and a lurker most of the time.
Patty H.

provinca
Governor
provinca
In response to pattyhornback

sorry about that, Mel. I guess it would work better if I actually posted the link!!! Here you go:

http://www.scrapbook.com/forums/showtopic.php?tid/15016...

Edited by provinca on 02-26-10 03:43 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Guru
In response to SheCre8s

I too would love to join but I'm not interested in challenges, they just don't interest me. Also I can't upload to my gallery so though I'm interested in opinions if my l/o's and things I'm not available for that right now. Am I still welcome in the group?

I'm living with my DD and 3 GD's on my VA pension. I too try to use my stash, small though it is.

One example is I'm in the Letters OF The Word swap #2. When I sat down to cut out the necessary letters I had one new sheet of paper, teal colored, and all the rest came from my small scrap envelope. I've still got lots of scrap paper and cardstock to use at a later date. Also, I save my empty pill bottles, chronic illness gives me lots, to store embellies in. I washed out an empty plastic cocoa powder box the other day to either alter as a gift or use as storage. I have 4 empty tins that had Christmas candy/cookies in them, two empty round cookie tins, and several pint sized plastic soup containers with their lids that I'm keeping for storage.

Ruthiez
Pro
Ruthiez
In response to moodymolly

HI everyone thanks for your interest. as far as critiques and challenges go I would only do those if the interest is there and they would be optional. I'm more interested creating a community where we can talk about ways to save money and be supportive to each other. (I also love the gabbing about things other then scrapbooks). I do only want those who are really serious being frugal (which most of you seem to be) and those who would like to be a part of a continuing conversation and community. Over the next couple days I"ll work on closing the group and making a members list. If you haven't included a little intro about what makes you a frugal scrapper please do that. Also a little intro about you. I'm really excited about all of your interest and look forward to getting to know you.

Ruthiez
Pro
Ruthiez
In response to Ruthiez

Having said that I want you to post an intro I should do the same. I'm Ruthie, I started scrapbooking about 2 months ago. I wanted to scrapbook my wedding and honeymoon. For chrismas my mom gave me some suplise and I went threw all my old random craft suplise and am putting them to use. My husband is in grad school and I'm a flight attendant. Money is really tight. I spend a lot of time away from home and I tend to be on the sb boards a lot. I just recently came up with ideas of things I can bring with me to do. I have some of my letters I'm going to use for a title traced and in a box and the colors I will need for a paper piecing pattern (along with glue, sicors, a ruler and couple other things) all in my bag so that when I stay the night places I can work on my scrapbook. My favorite thing to do so far that saves me money is to make my own embelishments from paper piecing patterns. I look forward to getting to know all of you.

provinca
Governor
provinca
In response to Ruthiez

Good morning, all. I'm Anna. I've been scrapping for a lot of years, but only within the past few have gotten serious about it. I work as an administrative assistant at an out placement special ed school, so when I come home I'm brain dead! My husband works the graveyard shift, so I have my evenings to myself -- with the exception of when my 2 dd (ages 13 and 16) need something.

Aboud 18 months ago or so, I got into this "flower fetish" for my pages and I bought tons of those beautiful paper flowers -- some frugally and some not so frugally! LOL. Now, my greatest scrapping thrill is making my own. I've pulled out all my old punches that I pretty much stopped using, and did some research on the internet and now I make all of my own flowers (most of the time -- I do have to use up my old stash of store bought ones!) It's a great way to use scraps of paper up!

I also used to be an alphabet sticker junkie. Although I have enough alphas to make a chain that would probably go coast to coast, I don't use them. I've discovered glossy accents that I've put on the letters to give them a different look. I'm determined to use them in some new ways so I'll like their look. I've given myself only 6 months to do this or I'm donating them!

I've been doing the Ugly Paper Challenge on sb.com for over a year and it's taught me to look at "ugly" paper in a new way, so I find that I'm using up my stash of paper in creative ways.

I'm looking forward to sharing ideas with you all and, of course, to getting to know you all!

j3Mel
j3Mel 
Idol
j3Mel
  • j3Mel on 02-27-10 11:23 AM
In response to provinca

Hi I'm Melanie and I've been scrapbooking for over 12 years. I have always been a picture's first scrapper. I get my pictures laid out first then add in embellishments where I have room or where appropriate. I have a huge collection of scrap stuff but 95% was purchased in bulk, split with friends, or out of a clearance rack. I then figure out how to make it work with my pictures rather than buyiung anything specific for pictures I have taken. I tend to buy more tools than can be used over and over to make my own stuff versus ready made stuff. I never found a pack of paper on sale that I didn't like....I can make ugly paper work!!!!

I'm also a 4-H leader for scrapbooking so I'm always looking for new things to teach the kids that they can use to make their own embellishments without sinking a lot of money into supplies..........yes, my 4-H parents loooove me

abbynormaloh75
Guru
abbynormaloh75
In response to j3Mel

hi im angi. i am currently only working minimal hours and those are soon to become even less because my fiance was recently diagnosed with cancer and taking care of him and getting him cancer free is my new full time job. that being said, i may not be around much right off. i am sorry he starts radiation on tuesday. i am sure once we get more answers and a schedule of treatments going my mojo will return. please don't give up on me. i just need time to deal with homelife first.

Ruthiez
Pro
Ruthiez

Angi-I definatly get you not being around. he is WAY more important then this group. If you want to give us updates we will keep you both in our thoughts. I understand completly if you don't say another word on this board till he's all cured.

provinca
Governor
provinca
In response to Ruthiez

Angi, I'm so sorry to hear about your fiance. I know just how time consuming taking care of a loved one with cancer is, and I'll be thinking of you and sending you many prayers and good thoughts!

Tenant
In response to provinca

Angi, we'll be here for you when you need a safe place to let go.
Hi, I'm Patty. I've been out of work for too long. I'm going stir crazy and running on empty financially. That's why I'm now a frugal scrapper.
I've bought virtually nothing for about nine months (although I did score alot of goodies working the local scrap expos). I have alot of tools and supplies I accumulated during the flush years, and I'm enjoying "shopping" from my stash. Also, I'm finally using stuff I bought and never touched. (Why do we do that? Do our creative juices run hotter at the stores, then cool down when we take get home? Maybe the mood music is full of subliminal messages to buy, buy, buy!)
I seem to do more thinking about scrapping than actual scrapping (could explain why I have such an extensive stash), something I want to change. There are so many techniques to try and ideas to put into action. I'm working on a wedding album tonight (while bf Ricardo is visiting relatives), trying to finish up the first of three nieces' special days.
I am pretty reserved, and without a work environment to see people on a regular basis, I need some serious socializing. That's where all of you guys come in!

abbynormaloh75
Guru
abbynormaloh75
In response to pattyhornback

hey guys...popping in this morning. bf felt a little better physically this morning and went to work. i am trying to stay positive and see this as a bump in the road, but then all of a sudden i start crying. getting to this point in our relationship has not been easy. i waited soo long to find him, endured a horrible marriage and painful divorce to finally be in the right place at the right time and meet the man that i am with now. i hate that we are facing this uncertainty. i hate that cancer is still something that is not a certain cure. it isn't fair. but he is a strong man. he is healthy and strong and resilient and if anyone can beat this he can. thanks for letting me vent. i will be in as i can.

Ruthiez
Pro
Ruthiez

It's good to hear that your FI was feeling some better today. I hope that you took some time to take care of yourself today.

Ruthiez
Pro
Ruthiez
In response to Ruthiez

I have started to put together a members list. if I missed your name please just let me know.

huskerfan
Guru
huskerfan
In response to Ruthiez

Hi, my name is Patty and I have been scrapbooking a little over 2 years.I got started when I decieded to make a scrapbook for my husbands and I 20th anniversary and now I am hooked I work at a university and I am laid off about 4 months a year so I am on a very tight budget but my husband and son are helpful with my hobby.Can't wait to get to know you all better.

Angi, I just wanted add that I will keep you and your fiance in my thoughts and prayers.

Ruthiez
Pro
Ruthiez
In response to SheCre8s

So, here is my question. Am I the only one who gets sad when they look at other people's layouts? I know I"m creative and I could come up with some terrific stuff but I have no money (and since I"m new no stock pile). I want to make my wedding album beautiful. My DH's grandma passed away 2 days before our wedding. So, our wedding day was very bitter sweet. I have been hoping to make a beautiful scrapbook of it so that he can see the day through my eyes and it will help remake those memories for him. In addition to the money piece I"m running into another problem. the further we get from the day the more I"m seeing the day through his eyes. Looking at our wedding photos and listening to some of the sonds from our reception used to make me smile. Now it makes me sad. this morning I started crying listening to "I got a feeling" by the black eye peas. Now I"m rambling. So, I'll go now.

huskerfan
Guru
huskerfan
In response to Ruthiez

Hi Ruthie,
I do get kinda I don't know I think Intimidation is more the word for me. See I am not very creative and mine never seems as beautiful as other people's work but I love scrapping!!

I am so sorry to hear of your Dh grandma's passing and with it being so close to your wedding day. Try to remember how happy she would have been for both of you and that she was there in spirit. Maybe you could do a page or two of her so that she would be included in the scrapbook.

Ruthiez
Pro
Ruthiez
In response to huskerfan

I think intimidating is a good word too. These are the pages from my honeymoon scrapbook that I made for her.

grandma's visit By Ruthiez

Grandma's visit pg 2 By Ruthiez

At the wedding we had a table set up that had her wedding photo, her anniversary photo, and a photo of my grandparents wedding (they got married in the same church we did). we had flowers on the table for his grandma. I have some really nice photos of the set up that I plan to make pages.

huskerfan
Guru
huskerfan
In response to Ruthiez

what a lovely thing for you to do! A wonderful tribute to all your grandparents.

Tayrina BCStudio
Veteran
Tayrina BCStudio
In response to huskerfan

Hi Girls!!! Checking In!

I'm definetly doing layouts with what I got, right now I do NOT have the budget to keep doing the LO's very wow, sooooo im still being creative. I will be showing soon the LO's and see all that we can do with little supplies.

provinca
Governor
provinca
In response to Tayrina BCStudio

Oh, Ruthie, how sad about dh's grandmother. What a nice thing you did at your wedding for her. I'm sure it was tough on your dh -- and also on you -- it's your special day, yet there was such heartache for his family at the same time! I agree with Patty, that his grandmother would have been so happy for the two of you that day. I think it only natural that when you think of your wedding, you also think of her passing.

As for making your wedding album, you don't have to buy all the fancy "stuff" to make it beautiful. While a lot of the "wow" LOs in the gallery do have the really nice, expensive embellies, so many of them also have some really nice handmade ones. Like I said earlier, I used to be a flower junkie, and now I almost never open my drawer of store bought flowers. I make my own now. there are tons of resources out there for that. I have quite a few bookmarked, so if you're interested, I'll be glad to share the links. It just takes a bit of creativity to make them fit your LO theme.

Oh, and start saving all the ribbons you come across -- on presents, etc. They look great on fancy pages! LOL

Edited by provinca on 03-01-10 04:31 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

abbynormaloh75
Guru
abbynormaloh75
In response to provinca

some really nice but cheap ideas for a wedding album.

off the top of my head
**stickles in icicle and the wedding colors you used. on sale u can grab these for 1.25 a bottle
**use puffy paint to create your own bling. less then $1 a bottle anywhere. just buy the iridescent colors.
**ribbon remnants from jo's. these are always cheap like less an a dollar cheap.
**make flourishes using a cricut or other die cut machine. if you do not own a cricut i am sure there are cricut owners on this site that would love to help you out. maybe just charge for the cardstock.
**if someone has design studio for their cricut and can meld they can cut you some great words to go on your page that would look wonderful.

and hey if needs be, i have a couple friends near me that have cricuts and one i know has the software to meld. as soon as i get through my crisis here and into a flow, i would be more than willing to help you.

angi

abbynormaloh75
Guru
abbynormaloh75

oh and there is a woman on this site that makes the most beautiful vines with cali lilies and paper roses. they are gorgeous. they are also inexpensive. i can get that info to you as well.

Ruthiez
Pro
Ruthiez

wow, guys thanks for the ideas. Also thanks for the support about DH's grandma. I'm just starting trying to deal with my feelings on it. I have been just ignoring them.
I would love those links (especially the flowers) I don't have a cricut or know anyone with one. any thing I want cut I have to hand do. it's slow but I do it, but I'm limited.

Angi- where are you in ohio? are you in Dayton?

abbynormaloh75
Guru
abbynormaloh75
In response to Ruthiez

i am in akron. send me a PM with what you would like cut and what colors and fonts you would want. i can get it cut on a cricut for you. and ship it out.

j3Mel
j3Mel 
Idol
j3Mel
  • j3Mel on 03-01-10 09:11 AM

Im willing to cut things on my cricut for you. I also have SCAL so if you find any .svg files that you like that are free online, I can cut those and send to you.

Other frugal ideas for the wedding album....if you want bling, watch for the bedazzler gemstones in clearance racks at walmart and hobby stores. they are a little harder to add to your page than say the self adhesive or brads but they come in big packages for CHEAP and give you the same effect.

glitter and glue..takes longer to dry but oh so much cheaper.

did you have silk flowers at your wedding? Did you save them. Cut them apart and use on your pages. That is what I did for a friend of mine. I grabbed a bunch of the silk flowers and accent flowers after the reception off the table centerpieces. They are in the correct colors and add a button or drop of stickles/glitter glue to the center and voila...a perfect page embellishment.

stitching!!!! embroidery floss is cheap and you can make your own patterns. It takes some time but I think stitching makes a beautiful page embellishment. I added stitching to this page...

Doug and Kayla's wedding By J3Mel the butterly trails are hand "poked" , hand stitched using embroidery thread. For me this page was bare until I added that......now to just get the journaling added.

and for absolutely any page, if you have the time in the spring and summer.....watch local rummage sales. I have picked up soooo many craft supplies at rummage sales. Anything from silk flowers for a dime to a HUGE bag full of cross stitch thread and needles for $2.00 and it came with 5 of the divided containers for storage. It takes some time and patience but if you are on a budget, it is the best. I even picked up a boatload of ribbon one time. All small pieces but it worked great for me since I didn't want yards and yards of one kind.

I also watch towards the end of the day when rummage saleing. A lot of people with baby clothes will sell the "leftovers" for $1.00 a bag. I pick out the cloths with cute buttons, take the buttons off and if it is a sleeper type material....the material gets used as rags for dusting/cleaning. cheap cheap cheap!!

okay, back to work for me, break over

JamieSue
Expert
JamieSue
In response to j3Mel

Hello Everyone,
My name is Jamie. I live in South Central PA. I am married and have 4 adult sons (2 still in college) and 3 grandaughers. I am a frugal shopper. I always shop in the clearance isles. Some of my "tips" would include shopping at any discount stores you have in your area. Here we have Big Lots, Ollies, and Dollar Tree. Big Lots and Ollies sell alot of things that other top dollar stores didn't sell at really discounted prices. And I always search the whole store, not just the scrapping isles. You never know when something will jump at you as something you can use. I also shop at all my local thrift stores, Goodwills, etc. They have party goods, craft items, sewing items (ribbon and buttons), tablecloths and stand covers (great for lace) at very little cost! Yard sales can be amazing! I got so many stamps last year at just dollars, an embossing gun and 5 or 6 bottles of embossing powder for just $2, stickers, all sorts of things. Old silk flowers for almost nothing that you can take apart and use the petals (looks just like the one you buy for scrapbooking). I download all sorts of clipart from Microsoft.com/clipart for free! I print alot of my journaling, titles, etc, on Word in different fonts on various papers. Check to see if you have a working ribbon mill near you. We have one about an hour away and you would not believe the deals! Large rolls of ribbon for a couple dollars or less depending on how much ribbon is on the spool. Hope some of this helps. I look forward to talking to all of you!

abbynormaloh75
Guru
abbynormaloh75
In response to JamieSue

what great ideas. i love how we can all pitch in and help with a specific album.

Ruthiez
Pro
Ruthiez

wow you guys, thanks you are amazing. I'm working on uploading a couple photos that would show colors and theme well. It was a fall theme.

we had a lot of fake leaves and I still have all of them. I was planning to use them in my lay outs. I had planned to use some of my cards too.

The additional problem I"m having is I don't have a lot of paper that will work for the background. I can't find any that are what I want. My mom gave me the once upon a time pack. I want some fall color scheme pages. if you see anything like that, or know cheap ways of getting that look please let me know where or what to do. I actually haven't even started my wedding album at all. I do plan to use 12x12 pages. I have TONS of pics and my album will be way big.

Edited by Ruthiez on 03-01-10 12:32 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Ruthiez
Pro
Ruthiez
In response to Ruthiez

I was trying to upload a couple photos just to give you a feel but the internet in burlington doesn't like me that well. If you are so inclined here is the 3 pics I think have the most useful info. I will try uploading the photos again sometime soon.

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?page=2&aid=180178 ...

http://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php?pid=4752185&id...

http://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php?pid=4752520&id...

Who else needs help with their album? I want to pitch in too.

j3Mel
j3Mel 
Idol
j3Mel
  • j3Mel on 03-01-10 01:07 PM
In response to Ruthiez

Ruthiez: do you have any leaf stamps?? You can soak a paper towel in bleach, tap your leaf stamp in on the "bleach ink pad" and make some of your own background paper using solid colored cardstock. Also, my brother got married in November and they used fall leaves as pretty much the basic decoration. I used TONS in their wedding album (which unfortunately I don't have posted here). Make sure you peel the rubber "veins" off the leaves first before using them.

Also, do you have any ink pads?? You can use those same silk leaves as a mask on solid colored cardstock. Use a repositionable adhesive to attach them to the paper and hold them down. Ink over them with your ink pad then peel up the leaf. Again, your own homemade patterned paper in the perfect colors you need.

Let me see if I can remember where I posted that wedding album....maybe it will give you some ideas!

Ruthiez
Pro
Ruthiez
In response to j3Mel

Thanks. I don't have any leave stamps I did read something before about using herb leaves to make a stamp. I was trying to look into ideas using inks or stamps. I found that plain white is more expensive then many patterned papers. anythoughts on finding plain paper cheap? I like your ideas though.

j3Mel
j3Mel 
Idol
j3Mel
  • j3Mel on 03-01-10 01:25 PM
In response to Ruthiez

my best advice is watch Hobby Lobby/Michael's etc for sales on paper. I know Hobby Lobby runs 50% off sales on paper quite a bit and you could look for the warm/fall color packages of cardstock to use as a base for your layouts.

are you wanting to use leaves for the most part or hearts?? Give me some ideas.....I love brainstorming for this kind of stuff but the cheapskate in me always wants to "create" rather than "buy"

Renee305
Idol
Renee305
In response to Ruthiez

Hi Ladies!!
I'm Renee 25 from Australia, I have 2 children Julia 7 and Bailey nearly 4 and 1 step-daughter Kali 5.
I'm more of a frugal scrapper by force than choice!!
I've just had a go at my first challenge and I've been scrapping for about 6 years now, learning heaps from all you wonderful scrappers!!

Ruthiez I'm wondering if you have thought of organizing a swap??

Being the frugal scrappers we are we could all have a swap and pass along some of our products that have just been left to sit in our stash for too long!!

I have plenty of stuff I don't use and probably won't use!! But someone else may love!!

Just an idea if anyone is interested? I think it would be a fun thing and a way to get some new products just for postage costs!!

Happy Scrapping Everyone!!

Renee305
Idol
Renee305
In response to JamieSue

• JamieSue Said:
Hello Everyone,
My Yard sales can be amazing! I got so many stamps last year at just dollars, an embossing gun and 5 or 6 bottles of embossing powder for just $2, stickers, all sorts of things. Old silk flowers for almost nothing that you can take apart and use the petals (looks just like the one you buy for scrapbooking).

JamieSue, what a fabulous idea!! I've never even thought of going in search of supplies at garage sales (as we call them here!) Thanks for such a great tip!! xx Renee

Ruthiez
Pro
Ruthiez
In response to Renee305

• Renee305 Said:

Ruthiez I'm wondering if you have thought of organizing a swap??

Being the frugal scrappers we are we could all have a swap and pass along some of our products that have just been left to sit in our stash for too long!!

I have plenty of stuff I don't use and probably won't use!! But someone else may love!!

Just an idea if anyone is interested? I think it would be a fun thing and a way to get some new products just for postage costs!!

Happy Scrapping Everyone!!

if there is an interest I would be happy to coordinate it. people just need to let me know what they would like.

Ruthiez
Pro
Ruthiez
In response to j3Mel

• j3Mel Said:

are you wanting to use leaves for the most part or hearts?? Give me some ideas.....I love brainstorming for this kind of stuff but the cheapskate in me always wants to "create" rather than "buy"

I love your enthusiasim and appreciate the help. I don't have a clear image in my head of what I want. I do want a lot of the rich fall colors, leaves, and more traditional wedding details. I also want to have some of the elegance and fantasy of the once upon a time pack. I think I see the leaves being used like flowers. still having some flowers but used similarly. I don't know if that makes sense. I"m going to have like a hundred pgs (just making up a number) so I have plenty of space for lots of ideas.

provinca
Governor
provinca
In response to Ruthiez

Ruthie, here are some links to make flowers:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCSdfQLhBKk&a mp;feature=...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wf1ZveeASXw&a mp;feature=...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZd9z6Ymj-Q&a mp;feature=...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7HE9VfGQNY&a mp;feature=...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZD2ZpdGa9Q&a mp;feature=...

http://mycreativescrapboo k.invisionzone.com/index.php?s...

http://pagesintimestoresi te.ning.com/forum/topics/two-f...

http://pagesintimestoresi te.ning.com/forum/topics/how-t...

http://creativit-tonya.blogspot.com/2009/11/paper-rose-...

http://pagesintimestoresi te.ning.com/forum/topics/distr...

http://pagesintimestoresi te.ning.com/forum/topics/how-t...

http://pagesintimestoresi te.ning.com/forum/topics/dahli...

Of course, Helen has an awesome collection of flower tutorials on her blog. I don't know if they're all there still, but you may have to search for them. Here's her blog:

http://www.scrap-a-little.com/

Ruthiez
Pro
Ruthiez
In response to provinca

wow that's a lot thanks. is there one you recomend starting with?

Ruthiez
Pro
Ruthiez
In response to Ruthiez

I just checked out the "6 Petal Punch Rose Bloom Tutorial" it looks cool. I don't own flower punchs but once I get some I want to try it for sure.

Ruthiez
Pro
Ruthiez
In response to Ruthiez

I'm a little slow but I just relized, i could totaly print off the image from the tutorial and hand cut the flowers.

JamieSue
Expert
JamieSue
In response to Ruthiez

I would definitely be interested in a swap although I'm not really sure how that works. Ruthie, I have a good bit of paper and many of the pads of paper have duplicate pages so I would be more than happy to share some with you. I also have a whole set of leaf stamps and could send you a couple of those. If you don't have an acrylic block to use you can just use the front of a cd case. If you want to send me your address via private message, I'd be glad to put some things together to send you.

JamieSue
Expert
JamieSue
In response to Ruthiez

I just remembered reading somewhere that a good way to make your own paper is to use various items and do a rubbing onto your paper. You know, like we did in elementary school? It gives you various textures on your paper.

huskerfan
Guru
huskerfan
In response to JamieSue

Ruthie, I think I have the punch you need for the 6 Petal Punch rose. I also a have a leaf punch. I can punch out some of each for you if you want.just send me a pm

Renee305
Idol
Renee305
In response to huskerfan

I'm posting today because I'm in need of some frugal scrappers support!!
I'm dying to go down the street and get these Bella flowers I spotted the other day but they are not cheap and not on sale!!
Hmmm... My brain is telling me NO, but my inner scrapping voice is screaming at me to go get them!!!
HELP!! Some words of encouragement please ladies!! lol
xxx

Renee305
Idol
Renee305
In response to Ruthiez

Hi Ruthiez I'm doing that exact thing at the moment, I spent half the night searching the net looking for bird templates and tree templates and then hand drawing them out as my printer is out of ink!
I'm doing ok so far, I've got a good bird so now I'm just going to make some master templates out of chipboard so in the future I can just use the chipboard and make a bird in any paper I want!

Ruthiez
Pro
Ruthiez
In response to Renee305

I'm proud of you Renee! It can be hard to fight that temptation. did you check out the flower links? I am really excited to try some.

Ruthiez
Pro
Ruthiez
In response to Ruthiez

that's so cool, I didn't know you could use a cd case for the stamps. I'm learning so much. Thanks.

So you guys know I'm trying to go to Arizona for a few days. I leave tomorrow. I don't think I"ll have internet access so I might not be able to post.

Renee305
Idol
Renee305
In response to Ruthiez

Last night I found some photoshop brushes that could be used to make embellies too.
If you have photoshop or elements these brushes are great.
I'm going to print them out as single flowers, trees or swirls then use them as embellies. (When I finally get some ink)
And the best part of all these brushes are COMPLETELY FREE!!

Check out my blog for the link!!

Hope this helps Ruthie!!

Tenant
In response to Renee305

Renee, take some time to look through your existing supplies and see how much great stuff you already have to work with. You don't need to buy anything. And keep hunting for those freebies, nothing is better than new stuff for free!
Patty

provinca
Governor
provinca
In response to Renee305

• Renee305 Said:
I'm dying to go down the street and get these Bella flowers I spotted the other day but they are not cheap and not on sale!!
Hmmm... My brain is telling me NO, but my inner scrapping voice is screaming at me to go get them!!!
xxx

You can do it Renee! LOL! Try looking at the flowers you currently have and see if any of them spark something in you again! Or maybe, do you have something that you can do something to that will look like the new flowers you want to buy? As a last resort, try to make a new type of flower; maybe you'll forget all about the ones you want to buy!

I know just what you mean, though. I used to hit ACM or M's every Sunday afternoon after I got my coupons in my weekly newspaper. I haven't been to ACM at all in 2010 and I only went to M's b/c I had a $10 rewards card that was going to expire. I went and bought a refill for my xyron -- was $24; used my 50% coupon, and only paid $2!

I'm so glad I re-organized all my stuff -- it's amazing what I forgot I had and what I didn't like anymore and now see it in a new light!!!

Good luck!

Edited by provinca on 03-03-10 03:53 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

abbynormaloh75
Guru
abbynormaloh75
In response to provinca

great job resisting temptation. i wouldnt buy anything new, but if that itch just wont go away, try heading to the dollar store near you and look at their flowers in another light. besides, if u buy a stem of them for $1 then you can keep yourself busy with taking them off the stems. don't forget to snip the leaves off too, to use on layouts.

BubbleDragon
Tenant
BubbleDragon

I've really been lusting over the BossKut Gazelle lately. I tell myself that it'd be frugal because I could cut my own shapes and not pay to go to crops at our local store and have them cut for me. (Of course, the crops are $10, and they cut for 10cents a shape - I'd have to give up a year's worth of crops to make up the cost, lol!) Maybe I'll put it on a list to save up for.

My best investment has been a set of clear alphabet stamps. I use them on practically everything. Right on the page. Sometimes cut them out. Doodle around them. Stamp on clear acetate sheets. Emboss them.

Tayrina BCStudio
Veteran
Tayrina BCStudio

That's a good idea of having yourself cutting and cropping your own shapes. It's creative and cheap. You know, I never heard about a local crop or a place that provides that service. At least here in Puerto Rico, I have never visit a crop or local crop. But I thing its fun croping and doing our own shapes!! That gives us experience.

I have some good investments that I use everytime and in my scrapbooks, projects and LO's!!!

What investment you have made in order to be frugal and not spending so much money in supplies?????

j3Mel
j3Mel 
Idol
j3Mel
  • j3Mel on 03-04-10 07:06 AM

I love my cricut expression that DH got me as a mother's day gift and SCAL. I can download thousands of free fonts and files, make my own paper piecing patterns from coloring pages, and if I do buy a file...they are usually less than $3.00. Best investment EVER.

Ruthiez
Pro
Ruthiez

• tayrinascrapdesigns Said:

What investment you have made in order to be frugal and not spending so much money in supplies?????

this is a great question. I don't have a lot of things so I don't have an answer but I would love to know what you guys think.

Ruthiez
Pro
Ruthiez
In response to Ruthiez

I did make it to arizona and I"m having a great time. I actually managed to get the internet to work. My friend I"m visiting here works for a hot air balloon company. We got to go ballooning today. It was unbelievable. I can't wait to scrapbook the pictures!!

Tayrina BCStudio
Veteran
Tayrina BCStudio
In response to Ruthiez

Ruth, i know those pictures are great to scrapbook!!!! I would love to see those LO's!

Renee305
Idol
Renee305

I don't really have one big investment, but when I do shop I always look for items that have a lot in them or are bulk packs, like ribbon with 50mts instead of small 1mt cards. And I will keep an eye on something in store until it's out of "season" and it goes in the bargain bin, I picked up a whole heap of Kaiser Craft wooden albums that way.

Can't wait to see your picks from hot air ballooning Ruthie!! xx

Renee305
Idol
Renee305
In response to provinca

• provinca Said:
  • Renee305 Said:
xxx

You can do it Renee! LOL! Try looking at the flowers you currently have and see if any of them spark something in you again! Or maybe, do you have something that you can do something to that will look like the new flowers you want to buy? As a last resort, try to make a new type of flower; maybe you'll forget all about the ones you want to buy!

I know just what you mean, though. I used to hit ACM or M's every Sunday afternoon after I got my coupons in my weekly newspaper. I haven't been to ACM at all in 2010 and I only went to M's b/c I had a $10 rewards card that was going to expire. I went and bought a refill for my xyron -- was $24; used my 50% coupon, and only paid $2!

I'm so glad I re-organized all my stuff -- it's amazing what I forgot I had and what I didn't like anymore and now see it in a new light!!!

Good luck!

Thanks for the support!! It was much needed that day!! xxx

Tayrina BCStudio
Veteran
Tayrina BCStudio
In response to Renee305

Hey!! I alwasys try also to buy stuff or supplies in bulk, clearance, wholesale, out of season, and others ocasions that are great to buy with less money and you can come to home with nice supplies!!!

It's like buying in the right time and right moment, making your supplies the best investment.

Renee305
Idol
Renee305
In response to Ruthiez

My page using the handmade flowers on Helen's blog!! Thanks for the link!! [image]http:// Close up~ My Rock By Renee305[/image]

Edited by Renee305 on 03-04-10 03:37 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Ruthiez
Pro
Ruthiez

I even took pics of the Cactus, actually all 3 of them, and the tree we crash landed into. My husband got the worst end of the cactus.

provinca
Governor
provinca
In response to Ruthiez

Renee, your flowers look great. See, you don't need to buy any new flowers -- you can make exactly the color you need and the size you need!

Ruthie, I'll be that hot air balloon was awesome. Can't wait to see the pics.

I don't have any one big investment, but in April I'm getting my very first Cricut. One of my friends ordered it from ebay and then didn't want it and she's going to sell it to me for $100! I'm not buying it until April b/c I told myself there would be no buying until after I go to CKC.

abbynormaloh75
Guru
abbynormaloh75
In response to provinca

if anyone is looking for a good deal, my wally world had the big bite on clearance for $10.00 tonight.

huskerfan
Guru
huskerfan

Hi Angi,
I checked but didn't see any at our walmart

provinca
Governor
provinca

Okay, here's a shameless pat on my own back -- I took dd1 to get prom shoes today at DSW Shoes, which is in a strip mall with Michaels, and I didn't even THINK about going into Michaels!

Ruthiez
Pro
Ruthiez
In response to provinca

if any one needs photos printed Walgreens (well at least by me) is having a sale. 10 cent prints (minimum of 50). I'm really excited about that. I can get some of my wedding photos printed now. I've been waiting for this sale (and to save up some of my budget).

Renee305
Idol
Renee305
In response to provinca

• provinca Said:
Okay, here's a shameless pat on my own back -- I took dd1 to get prom shoes today at DSW Shoes, which is in a strip mall with Michaels, and I didn't even THINK about going into Michaels!

Good girl!! lol very good indeed, I fell off the wagon this weekend, the man asked me to go get a case of beer, and I accidentally dropped into Spotlight while on my way. Didn't spend too much though

Ruthiez
Pro
Ruthiez
In response to Renee305

Anna- good job resisting the temptation.
Renee- sometimes the temptation is going to win. at least you kept from going over board.

I made a flower today from one of those tutorials! I can't wait to uploard the pics of it. I'm having a lot of fun making flowers. I can't wait to try this one other ways and to try some of the others!

j3Mel
j3Mel 
Idol
j3Mel
  • j3Mel on 03-07-10 06:35 PM
In response to Ruthiez

well, I had a 4-H project meeting today for my scrapbooking group. Joni and one of her friends was here and helped me with the girls making punch art. I now have an abundance of big layered flowers since Joni feel in love with making them and just kept right on punching and glueing after the 4-H kids left She is a mess!!

abbynormaloh75
Guru
abbynormaloh75
In response to j3Mel

i was pretty excited. i have over almost 200 layouts that are just stacked on shelves because i refuse to pay 4.99 for 5 page protectors. well i stopped in dollar tree today and they have them back but this time there are 10 protectors in the pack for a $1 instead of the 5 that used to come in their packs. granted i did buy $30 worth, but this will keep me in stock for a while and also, it is too good of a deal to pass up. so i am not sure if EVERY dollar tree has them or not, but if u need some go check it out, they don't last long when they get them in. and the manager told me that they are not stocking them on a regular basis anymore.

BubbleDragon
Tenant
BubbleDragon

THANK YOU for the Dollar Tree tip!! I hate paying so much for page protectors. I'll see if I can scoot out today and check them out. Do these fit your regular ol' post bound books ok?

JamieSue
Expert
JamieSue

Just a note you can get pictures developed at snapfish.com for 8 cents a piece. You upload them from your computer to them and then either pick them up at a local store or they will send them to you. Shipping and handling is reasonable and the quality is great. You can get more information at their website if your're interested.

provinca
Governor
provinca
In response to JamieSue

I'm in some serious need of page protectors. I refuse to pay going rate for them. Every so often ACM would have them on sale for $1 but now they put them on sale for $1.50. Still not too bad, but I like $1 much better! I'll have to check outthe Dollar Tree.

abbynormaloh75
Guru
abbynormaloh75

• BubbleDragon Said:
THANK YOU for the Dollar Tree tip!! I hate paying so much for page protectors. I'll see if I can scoot out today and check them out. Do these fit your regular ol' post bound books ok?

yep they fit just fine. i spent a couple hours last night fixing up my albums.

abbynormaloh75
Guru
abbynormaloh75

just my opinion on snapfish, by the time i added in the price of shipping it was well over 14 cents a print and i had to wait a week for my pics. i did LOVE the quality though. and i love how they were able to tell which pics were digital and which were not because they need to be developed a slightly different size or a typical 4 x 6 print will crop off heads and such. but i was very disappointed in the shipping costs. i only order from them when they have free shipping.

Ruthiez
Pro
Ruthiez

awesome tip on the page protectors. I need to try to make it to dollar tree today. Ihope they fit in my book. I have had problems with page protectors not fitting.

Ruthiez
Pro
Ruthiez
In response to JamieSue

• JamieSue Said:
Just a note you can get pictures developed at snapfish.com for 8 cents a piece. You upload them from your computer to them and then either pick them up at a local store or they will send them to you. Shipping and handling is reasonable and the quality is great. You can get more information at their website if your're interested.

snapfish has stores? where can you pick these up? if I don't have to pay shipping I would like to go this way.

Ruthiez
Pro
Ruthiez
In response to j3Mel

• j3Mel Said:
well, I had a 4-H project meeting today for my scrapbooking group. Joni and one of her friends was here and helped me with the girls making punch art. I now have an abundance of big layered flowers since Joni feel in love with making them and just kept right on punching and glueing after the 4-H kids left She is a mess!!

That sounds like great fun. I would love to see pics.

Page 1 of 8 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics