Page 1 of 53 
Username Post: Bitten By the Travel Bug OPEN!        (Topic#1561931)
Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean

NEW PEOPLE - YOU ARE WELCOME TO READ THROUGH OUR BIG BOOK OF POSTS OR HIT THE LAST PAGE AND JUMP RIGHT IN!

Do you cruise so often that it’s getting hard to book a cruise without at least one port on the itinerary that you’ve already visited? Do you fly so often that you know the airline baggage and carry-on maximum weights by heart? Do you keep a suitcase partially packed so you can be ready for another vacation in minutes? Do you have a favorite restaurant in Barcelona, Paris, or Buenos Aires? Do you have a favorite hotel in Sydney?

Do you know the way to San Jose from wherever you live without using a road map? Do you give your GPS a serious work out? Do the words “Road Trip” get you excited? Do you love taking pictures of the Golden Gate Bridge, the Statue of Liberty or lighthouses all around the United States?

Most important, do most of your scrapbook pages feature exotic or scenic places you have traveled? Do beaches, mountains and waterfalls seem to end up in a lot of your layouts?

If you answered “yes” to most of the questions above, this critique group may be perfect for you! Whether you travel nationally or internationally; by car, motor home, cruise ship, or plane. It doesn’t matter. As long as you are all about travel and are willing to share your travel layouts - this critique group might be a great match for you!

This critique group is for those who have smitten and bitten by the Travel Bug!

Guidelines
• Limited to people who have been smitten and bitten by the travel bug.

• Must be willing to share travel layouts.

• Must enjoy talking about travel and recommending (or warning about) restaurants, attractions, hotels and sharing travel stories.

• Must be willing to offer support and love to other members in their gallery postings.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to Henri Jean

Okay - I'm setting up house in our new home here and am getting it ready for everyone.

I thought it might be fun to get to know each other by posting a few travel layouts. In fact I hope we do that a LOT here! That will get conversations going.

Currently in the main gallery I'm posting the trip we took earlier this year. I've already posted the trip going across the US with Graceland and lots of touristy stuff (which I love). Then I got very sidetracked posting layouts of Hollywood stars whose handprints I saw at Grauman's Chinese Theater or thier stars were on the Hollywood Walk of Fame. I went way overboard on that one. the pages didn't please me with just a bunch of handprints and stars - I wanted to know a little bit about the people behind them.

After about 3 weeks on the road we hopped over (yes, literally hopped, that is what military flights are called and my husband is retired military) - anyway we hopped to Hawaii for a month. That is what I'm posting on the gallery now so I will pick up there.

I think it might be fun if we each picked out 4 or 5 of our favorite travel layouts and posted them too. Doesn't matter how long ago - just favorite places. That will get conversation going and we can get a feel for each other's style.

I think a few may not have started scrapping their travel layouts yet, but they love to travel. Tell us about your trips and maybe we can give you some sample layouts or ideas to scrap them if any of us have been to those places!

I am uploading 2 or 3 to my gallery this morning and will post them here. Then I will search back pages on my gallery and post a few layouts from favorite trips of the past. That will proably be the easiest way for you to get to know me. I hope you will all do the same!

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean

Karen - your cruise sounds awesome! I love New Orleans too. We were there last year and I wanted to see Marie Laveau's crypt. Very strange - in the oldest standing cemetery in New Orleans - run down, broken crypts, exposed corners of coffins on some crypts. Marie's tomb or crypt has red "X"s all over it and all kinds of voodoo stuff that people have left.

Okay, not everyone knows who she is, - I remember a country song called, "Another man done gone" and it was about the most famous voodoo queen in Louisiana - Marie Laveau. Very real person. Curiosity got the best of me so I went to that old cemetery. Fascinating!

Also, we stumbled across the film crew shooting the crashed airplane scenes of the Green Lantern movie and I got "sneak" photos before they told us "no photos" as they were putting out the flames on the plane that was supposed to have crashed and of pictures of them bringing the new plane onto the set (they shoot out of sequence so they shot the crashed plane seqment early).

Love Grand Caymen - my husband taught me how to snorkel there. In fact it was in Grand Caymen where he picked up a small conch-like shell and gave it to me while we were snorkeling. I put it in my bathing suit for safe keeping while we were snorkeling. Then we laid on the beach for a while on our towels, snorkeled some more, then took a tender back to the ship. I took my bathing suit off, placed myshell on the bed and took a shower.

When I got out of the shower - the shell was walking across the foot of the bed! I had brought back a hermit crab!

Cozumel will be a great place to celebrate your 50h! Awesome. We did a lot of snorkeling there too.

Terri will pop in here when she can - she does a lot of snorkeling! Much more than I do! I'm strictly amateur!

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean

Karen - forgot to ask where you went in Italy! Awesome place. Never been to France but it is on my bucket list!

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean

Hi Aquabunny - welcome to our new travel home!

I saw your notes on the board that you had been to Hawaii! I hope you will post all those pages here. I love Hawaii pages. That is like our second home. I think we are going back after our fall cruise.

Never been to Chicago and only passed through DC once when we were teenagers. Just a short trip and saw very little so I'm anxious to really go back and see it!

You can find good fares to Hawaii sometimes if you keep shopping. Where would be be flying from?

England/Scotland/Wales - that is definitely a dream vacation. Never been to any of those places!

Kamananui
Idol
Kamananui

Thanks for setting this up. I love traveling, and when I'm not traveling I love to hear about other people's adventures. I can't wait to board my Air New Zealand flight on Sunday.

Anonymous 
  • Anonymous on 07-28-11 10:35 AM

Hey Everyone,

Hello I"m Terri and I am travel junkie. Henri thanks so much for organizing this and I'm looking forward to seeing and talking to other "bugs."

Where is everyone's next trip? Mine is the SB Expo in Sacramento in October. Then in April, Panama Canal!

pugs223
Idol
pugs223

Ok back from errands/lunch.

So my Eurpean vacation 2000 was the right out of college, let's backpack through Europe with bff, taking Eurorail and staying at hostels. LOVED it, wish I would have bought less souvenirs and just stayed for the whole summer. Our tour included Madrid, Barcelona, London, Paris, Amsterdam, Germany for a week (will explain our stay there in a minute), Vienna, Florence, Venice and Rome. This trip was my first scrapbook and I think one of my future goals will be to redo it, but when I get home, I will take some pics of it anyway to share here.

Germany - stayed there the longest to visit my foreign exchange student sister. She stayed with my family when I was in high school so we visited her and her family for a week. We were in the Meiningen/Thuringia area. They took us to Dresden and Munich and on a Fathers Day hike through "No man's land" the border that divided East and West Germany and went into a neighboring village where we had our first stein of beer. Best part of the trip! While I loved the tourist attractions, it was great taking part of the local cultures and traditions.

Germany 2002 - Went with my parents and uncle and some of his friends and stayed in the Bavarian Alps area in Oberammergau and Illigen, toured King Ludwig's castles Neuschwanstein and Linderhof and then went to Oktoberfest in Munich for 3 days. Then spent a week with my German sister and her family and drove along the Mosel and The Rhine rivers, stayed in Alken and drank a lot of wine.

I did not know it, but my DS was along on this trip, thank God it was early in pregnancy and my cousin in the medical field reassured me that he would not yet take part in consuming everything I did on that trip. Although German beer is more pure than American beer

Jamaican honeymoon 2006 - Stayed in Negril at the Blue Cave Castle (they have a website). Purposely stayed at a non all inclusive resort because we wanted to check out the locals. Want to go back.

Germany wedding 2009, yes my German sister. Only stayed Wed - Mon but it was awesome being part of that day. I still have to scrap that trip so maybe I should work on that soon.

In my gallery, there are a few travel LO but they are from my younger brother's trip last summer and I made a book for him. I'll post a few here though of the places I went that were the same (his are scrapped so much nicer than my trip)

Kamananui
Idol
Kamananui
In response to AK Teddy Bear

Terri, I used to live a few short hours from Sacramento. If I still lived in Northern Cali, I would have met you there.

pugs223
Idol
pugs223
In response to pugs223

I would love to go to Hawaii, that was the other place we considered for our honeymoon but were only taking a week long one and I heard it's best to stay at least two weeks.

My younger brother is trying to get the whole family to take an Alaskan cruise in 3-4 years. That again was another honeymoon consideration but my DH wanted to go somewhere warm.

pugs223
Idol
pugs223
In response to pugs223

Rothenburg (l) By Pugs223
Rothenburg (r) By Pugs223

Rothenburg ob der Tauber - beautiful medieval town with wall going around the parameter. I love German architecture.

Resident

I have several walking tours in New Orleans that I'm looking at. I plan to do at least 2. I love aritecture (discovered this while in France), so I think the garden district should be really great.

I was in Italy in 1/02. It was a short bus tour and I saw Rome, Florance and Venice (sort of) with stops in a few smaller towns.

France was 3/03. Again it was a bus tour and I spent time in Paris, Nice and quite a few other town.

As an introductions to the others. My name is Karen and I live in Seattle, WA. I love to travel and have a rather long short list of places I want to visit. Most of them are outside the US, although I resently started adding US destinations also.

I'm single and live on my own. So no kids.

Anonymous 
  • Anonymous on 07-28-11 11:07 AM
In response to pugs223

Peg...Come on up to Alaska. We love to show off our state and it is beautiful. Oh your new LOs are beautiful.

Kelly...Too bad. I would love to meet you too. Northern California is a place I go at least twice a year. Our travel buddies live in Valley Spring. What a small world.

I have to go check out everyone's gallery. Dangerous because I find more places I want to visit.

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny

Hello ladies,

I'm Andrea. I'm 29 (30 next month), married, no kids, living in Indiana. I scrapbook my everyday life, my travels, recipes, and, until recently, my pet rabbit.

Travel albums I've completed:
- Scotland/England/Wales, May 2001 - one of my oldest scrapbooks, photos and patterned paper and memorabilia glued into a wire-bound 9" x 12" sketchbook
- Washington DC, June 2002 - with bonus side trip to Baltimore and automotive breakdown in Pennsylvania! a 12" x 12" post-bound Pioneer album without page protectors
- Honeymoon album - a week in a wooded cabin in northern Michigan
- Chicago 1995 - a mini-album I made just in the last year or two to do something with pictures and souvenirs still leftover from a trip my family took to Chicago when I was a teenager
- Anime Central - quite a long album chronicling the four different trips my then-boyfriend (now husband) and I made to Chicago annually from 2003-2006 to attend an anime convention
- Hawaii 2010 - kind of my pride and joy among my albums right now. A week in Honolulu in February 2010, it was that one week where there was snow in every single state. It was neat to see green things.

Future trips:
- Chicago - was going to be this summer, now will probably be in 2012, with plans to see the Cubs and Wrigley and go to a taping of Wait Wait Don't Tell Me, with probably excursions to the aquarium and the Museum of Science and Industry
- Washington DC - spring or summer 2012 - primary purpose is going to an exhibition on the Art of Video Games, but we expect to do some of the usual stuff too
- Scotland/England/Wales - I totally want to go back. I don't know when this will be.
- Hawaii? - This will be a while, but I LOVED it and want to go back, get sandwiches from the guy at the swap meet, climb Diamond Head again, find a place to buy a ribbon lei! Henri - we would be flying out of either Indianapolis or Detroit Metro - our last one was Indy to Charlotte to Honolulu, with Honolulu to Phoenix to Indy on the way back. Much preferred having that flight broken up by a stop on the west coast than the east coast.

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny
In response to aquabunny

As an additional note, I have some travel papers by Paper House that I don't expect to use - they were from a big pack of multiple papers. If anyone is in need of paper for Alaska, San Francisco, Paris, or Las Vegas (or any other gambling excursion, that paper's not very specific), I would be happy to send those along to a willing taker.

I have added the specific sheets I have to the list below. If I find I have other locations in my stack of stuff to pass along, I will add them later - at work right now.

pugs223
Idol
pugs223
In response to Karen_in_WA

Oh yeah, forgot to introduce myself. My name is Peg (short for Peggy, not Margaret) I live in smalltown WI, married, have two children, beautiful 17 yo DD who I gained through marriage (I could say step-daughter, but I really don't like the word step for that), and an 8 yo DS.

My main scrapping topics are those two with a few other projects thrown in like the book I did for my brother's trip, a book for my parents for the Germany 2002 trip, a honeymoon book and I want to do a book for my parents 40th wedding anniversary that was just a couple of weeks ago but my scanner broke and need to get pics from my brothers yet.

I work as a Recruiter in a small staffing co and am currently looking for a new career opportunity, burnt out on the staffing industry, been here over ten years.

What else do you want to know?

pugs223
Idol
pugs223
In response to pugs223

Henri - love the hermit crab story, would have been funnier if you were laying on the beach and started doing the "I have a crab in my swimsuit" dance. I love your stories and all of the journaling you do.

Karen - I loved Rome because it's so old, and to see the structures still standing after thousands of years - amazing. Had fun in Venice too.

Andrea - your trips sound great and you have all of the albums done.

Terri - your state is beautiful from what I've seen in pics and on tv. My dad was stationed there in the Army back in the late 60's and I remember seeing pictures of the night time when the sun is still shining and day time when there is no sun.

Sherrenae
Diva
Sherrenae
In response to pugs223

Hi everyone. My name is Sherri. I am single with no kids unless you count my two dogs.

I have done travel albums of a 2002 trip to Italy -went all over the place and had the time of my life, a 2004 trip to Oregon - what a wonderful state, a 2005 trip to Portugal, and a 2006 trip to NYC and a quick 2006 trip to Mexico.

I have a 2003 trip to Chicago, Canada, Niagra Falls under construction and untouched in over a year.

My style has changed so much since these I want to go back and do them over. For Italy I just need new pics all together as it was before I had a digi so I think a return trip is in order. LOL

I have also taken trips to Boston, London, and a road trip through Colorado, Wyoming, Montana and South Dakota all that need to be completed. I have done some pages on these but I only do them here and there.

Here are a few
London
I do it my way - Swirlydoos By Sherrenae

London Guards By Sherrenae

Yellowstone
Natural Wonder By Sherrenae
And a little bit of everywhere
Wander By Sherrenae

Sherrenae
Diva
Sherrenae
In response to pugs223

• pugs223 Said:
Rothenburg (l) By Pugs223
Rothenburg (r) By Pugs223

Rothenburg ob der Tauber - beautiful medieval town with wall going around the parameter. I love German architecture.

Peg,
I was in Germany with my parents and brother in 1986 and we went to Rothenburg. Even though I was still jet lagged and wearing the same clothes for 3 days due to lost luggage I loved it. I particularly remember a Crime Museum that we went through. My mom was also chased out of the bathroom by an angry German woman - LOL.

I have/had a puzzle of the building in the upper left of your top layout too.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to Sherrenae

Peg - when we went to Germany it was an odd trip. My son called last Febraury and said he and his fiance were going to Germany for 10 days. She was born on the military base in Landstuhl and had never been back. He went on and on and said, "Mom, I've never been out of the country." "Mom, I'm ver concerned because I don't speak German." And two or three more of these sentences that started with "Mom... " I asked him. "Sweetheart, do you want Bill (my husband) and me to go with you." He just said, "Would you?"

So I asked Bill and he said that we were not going all the way to Germany for 10 days, but we would make it part of a vacation. That night he got on line and booked a flight to Puerto Rico and scheduled a 4 day visit for us, and then on board the cruise ship for a trip to three of the Canary Islands, then Cadiz Spain. Then from Cadiz Spain, the cruises ended in Barcelona.

We spent 4 fabulous days in Barcelona and then flew on a tiny airline "Ryan Air" to Germany. Didn't know then that it is very low on the totem pole - a joke among other airlines.

THey actually walk down the isle selling cigarettes and lottery tickets.

But we got to Frankfurt and saw Heidelberg, Munich, lots of time around Garmish and Mittenwald near the Austrian Alps - Nueunschwanstein (couldn't leave German without seeing that).

Then a kind of funny thing happened.

We went back to Frankfurt and my son and his fiance flew back to Atlanta. We drove to Ramstein and took a military hop to Dover Delaware. I told Bill I have to spend a day and a couple nights to see my friend, Raquel, who is on the boards here. Lots of people call her Rocky and I adore her!

We had a great day shopping and we went out to dinner with her and her husband. Then it got wierd.

We flew from Dover to Langley Virginia on a hop. That would get us to Norfolk (easy to get a ride from Langley to Norfolk) and on a flight to be home by dark.

However, plans changed. Bill asked the pilot, "Where is this plane going next?" The pilot told him, "This one is going to Hawaii in the morning."

Bill told him, "So are we!"

The pilot told him, "be on the airfield at 7:00AM - terminal won't be open so have everything with you and I'll get you on."

Well, we got there and as it turned out, they were escorting 4 new fighter planes to Hawaii and on to Guam, where the new fighteres were going to be stationed. The C-17 we wanted to get on was packed with the crews and mechanics and maintencance people, all their gear - everything. Someone told us, "You aren't getting on this plane, it's packed to capacity."

The pilot stepped up and said, "I told them I would have seats for them and I putting them in."

He told us to follow him - our seats were in the cockpit! We flew 10 hours from Langley, VA to Hickam Air Force base (next to Honolulu) in the cockpit of a big C-17 cargo plane. AWESOME!!!!

Funny thing was one when I called my son in the morning and say, "John, remember when I told you I would be home in Florida last night? Well it didn't exactly happen. We got as far as Langley Virginia and took a detour."

He said, "Mom, where are you?" I told him, "We kind of went out of our way a bit between Virginia and Florida and we are in Hawaii!"

He just said, "Mom, nothing surpises me. You could call me from the center of the earth and I wouldn't raise an eyebrow.

So we spent 3 weeks in Hawaii. As long as we were there we decided to stay a bit.

Anyway, that is my Germany trip.

Ah - you mentioned the German beer. Bill and I are not beer drinkers but my son is. (He's 36.)

We stopped at a cafe along the Rhine River and ate outside. Charming!

M son ordered German beer, not realizing that it is stronger than he is used to at home.

Then they brought his salad he said, "Mom, this is the best salad I've ever had."

I said, "It is lettuce, tomatoes and cucumbers."

But its so fresh it is the best I've ever had.

"John, you do not like salads, you will not touch them at home."

"But this mom... this is happiness in a bowl"

No, dear, it is lettuce, tomatoes and cucumbers.

"It is so sad to think that I will never again in my life have a salad this good again.

Yes John, they sell lettuce tomatoes and cucumbers in Georgia and I bet Danielle can mix them up and put them in a bowl for you.

Ever since then we have teased my son about "Happiness in a bowl."

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean

Kelly - where do you leave from New Zealand? I love New Zealand! How long will you be in New Zealand? I'm still pitching a tantrum because my husband didnt' take me to see the glow worm caves but he's promised we will go back to see them.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean

Terri - I love your new avi! Very nice! I need to change mine back to me again. Maybe later today.

Never been through the Panama canal. Bill was stationed in Panama and wants to go through the canal so one day we will. We were supposed to go this fall with the Wounded Warriors program for wounded vets - Bill is on the committee that organizes the cruise every 2 years.

However, I can't stand the guy in charge. I heard someone on the phone - apparantly asked Bill why we don't go and he said to the guy, "Reed doesn't get along with any of the wives and he's not very nice to my wife so we don't go."

I was proud of Bill for standing up for me because Reed was a very good army buddy for him. They went through Special Forces stuff together for 20 years. But I can't stand him.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to pugs223

Hawaii is awesome Peg, but there is a lot to do and see. We normally go twice a year for 3-4 weeks each time.

My husband has a hobby/business and it has gotten out of hand so we go frequently to tend to it. Will proably go in November. Its a lot of work which makes our Hawai holidays working holidays!

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean

Working my way through the posts. Let my husband take me to lunch and look what happens!

Awesome Germany pages Peg - just love your style! Thank you so much for posting those. I was hoping the layouts would start early! You have some techniques that are perfect for travel photos of old buildings and old cities. I would love to learn to do some of these techniques!

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean

Karen - I fell in love with Rome, but haven't seen Venice. Someday. Paris too. Someday I hope.

We will be in Seattle around September 26th (a few days before) to leave on a Holland America cruise for 70 days, although I think we will get off in 49 in Sydney and fly to Hawaii or somewhere. The last 21 days are all sea days and we like ports so we may fly to Hawaii or Guam for a bit. Or more places in Australia.

Anyway, we met a wonderful couple on a cruise last year and they are also leaving on another cruise on Sept 26th but we are having dinner with them the night before. I suspect we will fly into Widby Island and stay a few days in Seattle and then rent a car to go to Portland to see my husband's son, then back to Seattle for a few days before the cruise.

Any chance of getting together for lunch or shopping or coffee or anything sometime before we leave while we are in Seattle?

MrsAnnieS
Mayor
MrsAnnieS

Thanks for having me ladies!

Most of my travels have been scrapped so far, but I do need to do my first trip to Europe and my 2nd cruise so I have plenty to scrap and I look forward to having a great group of friends to share them with!

It is hard to narrow down my favorite travel pages, I recently finished my last cruise and second trip to europe and I just love some of my paris pages!

Paris 2006
Tower of Beauty By MrsAnnieS

Ardastra zoo-Nassau Bahamas 2010
Birds of a Feather By MrsAnnieS

Screw Spa-Natural Hot Springs Dominica 2011
Like Mother like Daughters By MrsAnnieS

Titou Gorge Dominica 2011
Emerald Light By MrsAnnieS

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean

You get around a lot! I had to retire to get around so much!!!! I didn't start traveling at all until I got married a little over 2 years ago so I'm amazed where all you have been!

I would prefer stopping on the west coast going to Hawaii too. We almost always top at Travis (outside San Francisco) or San Diego. Breaks up the long flight.

I hope you get back to Hawaii soon. We just love it so much. Last time we were there we looked at condo's, but are hesitant becasue of the maintenance fees! I think we are going to buy a rental house here instead but we will keep looking at them. I'm sure eventually we will break down. I'm not sure about that idea because it would mean taking out a mortgage and we don't have one of those now and I don't want one!

Can't wait until you start posting some of your layouts!!!

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean

Thanks for posting your papers you are so kind to do that! Great idea. I have extras from places I have visited to soo I'll go through them later and offer them to whoever wants them.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean

I think dogs can count as kids! We have friends that call their dogs "the kids".

You have been to a lot of places that I would love to go!

I left love in your gallery on all of your posts! Awesome! You have some awesome travel layouts! Can't wait to see more of them!

Kamananui
Idol
Kamananui

I'm not actually going to New Zealand, although I hope to some day. I'm going to the Cook Islands. We are staying on Rarotonga. I'm actually the worst scrapper ever because when I'm on vacation I hardly ever remember to pull out my camera, so I hope I come home with at least a few pictures.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to Kamananui

Oh please take lots of pictures Kelly!

I've always been the picture taker and was never in a picture, just tons of pictures of my husband, but people started commenting, "Are you sure you were with him?"

On one trip the button on my camera quit working. Well, it took a picture if you stuck the end of a paperclip in the hold, but its hard enough to get a picture out at just the right moment, never mind searching the purse for a paper clip. By the time I was ready with camera and paper clip, every body else was ready to move on or the photo op came and went!

Then I bought another camera which I like a lot. But it occured to me, what if this one breaks while I'm overseas? That bothered me enough to purchase a back up camera. There are always 2 in my purse.

When we travel I hand my husband the larger camera so he can take pictures. He takes way to many of me but I know how to hit the delete button. Some are okay - the rest - ZAP ZAP ZAP!

It is not uncommon for him, who hates to take photographs to take over 100 in a day when we travel. I love it because he gets everything I miss and sometimes his shots of the same thing are just better!

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean

Annie - I left love in your gallery on all your layouts! You do awesome work. You have an artistic, creative eye that I wish I had. You do a lot with circles and I love the soft look of circles on a layout. You do techniques that are way over my head. I have so much to learn!

It does sound like you have a lot of travel pages to complete, which is good! And any of your past trip pages, please feel free to post them here!

I'm glad you decided to join the bugs Annie. I enjoy your posts so much on the other threads!

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean

These are my newest that I put in the gallery today. Will need to go through a lot to pick out a few favorite past ones to add here.

Akaka Falls (Left) on the Big Island of Hawaii By Henri Jean

Akaka Falls (Right) on the Big Island of Hawaii By Henri Jean

Akaka Falls (L & R) on the Big Island of Hawaii By Henri Jean

Akaka Falls - My Husband and the Bamboo By Henri Jean

Tuesday, April 12, 2011 – Another perfect day in this beautiful tropical paradise!

We got to the recycling center bright and early to sort the last 90 boxes of license plates. We sorted 1,100 plates in 2 hours yesterday so 900 would not be bad at all. We breezed right through them and then Bill ordered 5 large pizzas for the workers and forklift operators at the recycling center.

Now to see some of the Big Island. Yesterday the beauty of Rainbow Falls knocked my socks off but today we saw Akaka Falls. WOW! This one took my breath away! (This page and the two pages before.) You had to hike through a really lush rainforest on a raised platform trail but it awesome being able to look down over this beautiful forest. I’ve never seen so much bamboo, or seen it growing so tall with such thick stalks before! The trail took you as close as possible to the waterfall then you continued on in a loop that ended where the trail started. For me it was a lot of walking but worth every step!

As a note, Akaka Falls is magnificent with 442 foot falls. Other people on the trail said it was the waterfall used in Jurassic Park but it is not, that is on another Hawaiian island. However, this one was just as beautiful.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean

Thanks for you gallery comments Terri. Actually, the title you liked - and the butterfly border? Compliments of SYT.

Anonymous 
  • Anonymous on 07-28-11 04:24 PM

Henri...Thanks for noticing the new avatar. I was sick of the beach one and needed a change. It was taken at Zihuatanejo, Mexico with some of my "friends."

Really SYT. I can't believe it! LOL!

Hey why don't you come along on the cruise? We have a whole gaggle of people going and you would fit right in!

Annie...Welcome and your LO are wonderful.

Well it is quitting time. Everyone have a great night.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean

Love your friends. Looks lot like friends in one of my Tulum layouts!

Wish we could go on the cruise. Bill has his license plate convention in Las Vegas every year late March or early April. Even up to mid April some years. We drive out there with about 15,000 plates with us to swap and trade or sell at the convention. After that, since we are so close to the west coast, we park the van somewhere and jump on a hope to Hawaii to work with plates there. We have always gone from Las Vegas to Hawaii and we are usually in Hawaii for 3-4 weeks. Then Late June or early July is the National meet in a different city each year.

This year it is Des Moines Iowa. I catching up with Darla from the boards who lives there - looking forward to it!

So March, April, May June and sometimes a little of July are always filled with license plate activities and road trips. We are usually gone 2-3 months out of those 4 months between the two trips.

Then in mid-July until the following mid-March the following year we are free to fly and take cruises and do what we want.

But if we take a trip March-July we have to work around the licenses plate meets. that is where we get our travel money!

scrappinmylife
Expert
scrappinmylife

Please sign me up for this one. Do I need to post my travel layouts here?

ncyankee
Queen
ncyankee
In response to scrappinmylife

Hi ladies -- I'm Eileen from NC. But I'm a true Yankee (someday I'll be back up north).

We love to travel. I'm working on our recent trip to spain/portugal. I love Barcelona.

Last year we were in the Baltics -- I loved St. Petersburg!

My other favorite place -- is the west.

We can't agree on our next big trip. Kevin is the tour director -- he loves to research and plan. I want the Galapagos --

Sherrenae
Diva
Sherrenae
In response to ncyankee

Barcelona and St Petersburg are both on my wish list.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to ncyankee

Glad you found us Eileen.

I'll add you to the list to Scrappinmhylife.

I like the idea of posting layouts here so we can all ooh and aah over them. You don't have to, but would be cool if you did! I would love to see them!

Some of us have already started posting them.

I'm going to find a few travel layout from the past few years and post them - its been so awesome seeing he other travel layouts and seeing how they scrapped places, especially ones I'm familiar with. Its opening my eyes to a whole new way to scrap trips. Mine are pretty plain next to some of these!

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean

I also love Barcelona! Las Rambles was fun but you have to hang on to your purse! Pick pockets everywhere. That church - Familia Segada is awesome! Barcelona is a great city to do on the double decker bus. We rode it for days and days!

I did nearly a whole book scrapping Barcelona. Can't wait to see your layouts! Also made it to Cadiz Spain but not to Portugal. guess that is on another trip!

My husband has been to the Galapagos (we've been married for just over 2 years but he travelled constantly before me. I never travelled at all until we got married. Now he has dragged me all over the world and I'm not complaining!)

St. Petersburg is on my bucket list too. That list keeps getting longer and longer!

Sherri - Las Rambles in Barcelona is where are the street mimes are - they are unbelievable.

I have some layouts on them but not sure if they are in the gallery. I have not seen better street mimes anywhere.

One was Edward scissorhands with big plastic or cardboard scissors. He stood statue still. When someone put a coin in his little bucket he came to life and started snipping away at everything with his face scissors then started snapping his scissors all around the woman's hair. When she walked away he jumped off his pedistal and followed her, still taking scissor swipes at her hair.

One was an alien space creature stopped in a squatting position and kind of crouched like he was sleeping. When Bill put in a coin he jumped up and grabbed Bill by the throat and held the position until I got good pictures.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean

Has anyone been to Petropavlovsk, Russia or Vladivostok, Russia? We will be there in 2 months and are clueless about what we want to do.

I'm not big on taking the ship's excursions, would rather venture out on our own.

Mulan05
Expert
Mulan05

Hi ladies!

I'm Angie and I'm 29 and from Canada's capital Ottawa. I love to travel and I'm lucky that my boyfriend enjoys traveling too. I don't have too many of my layouts on here from my travels, but I'll see if I can pick out a few.

I've been reading and you have all been to so many places I'd love to go.

Looking forward to getting to know you all!

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to Mulan05

Hi Angie, I have never been anywhere in Canada. A few times we have been around Pennsylvania or somewhere near Canada but are not able to go into Canada. So disappointed.

He wants to take a train all the way across Canada. I don't know if we will ever do that because it is expensive. We are retired and travel on a budget! Retirement means lots of time, but money is not what it used to be! Its okay, we get by, just have to watch the money that is going out and cut some corners to be able to afford to do everything.

It is good that your boyreid enjoys travelling!

I never travelled until 2 years ago when I was 60! However, I'm doing my best to make up for it!

ncyankee
Queen
ncyankee

Do you have a visa for russia?? If you don't you can't travel on your own. We rarely do a ships tour. We hate having to wait for a group.

I loved las ramblas -- but I loved la boqueria.

La Boqueria By Ncyankee

Segrada familia was amazing -- I've done 23 lo's so far of our trip. But very few from barcelona -- I've got so many pics from there. I've got to get them better organized. My son loves Gaudi -- so he was thrilled.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to ncyankee

We do walking around on our own, double deckers, cabs, buses, trains, car rentals 99% of the time.

There are times when you don't have a choice. We are going to have to get Russian and Chinese visas for this trip. The cruise ship will get Viet Nam, Indonesia, Jakarta, Singapore, and our travel agent will get Australian for us because our Australian visas expire the month before we go. We may need Korean too - if so our travel agent or the cruise ship will get them.

If we go on the ship's tours in Russia we do not need a visa so we may do that, just not sure what we want to see. There are several options. That is one case where it might be better just to go on the ship tours rather than mess with the visa. We are trying to decide if the things we really want to see are on the ship's excursions or if we want to get our visas and see things on our own.

When we were in Egypt (Safaga) you couldn't get out of the tiny port parking lot around the ship without a ship or private group excursion lined up. They lined all the buses up (19 of them), private and ships buses together and put armed gaurds in front of the caravan and more in back of the caravan of buses and more along side all the way to the Valley of the Kings to see King Tut's tomb. All around the port parking where you got off the ship were Egyptian armed guards who wouldn't let you walk out of the immeditate docking area.

We didn't have a ships tour lined up but when Bill saw we weren't going anywhere, he went to one of the buses and bought the ticket directly from the bus driver who wasn't supposed to sell it to us but he did under the table. We were so glad, we would have been heartsick if we had been stuck in port.

Back to Russia - any suggestions Eileen? We need to decide whether to get visas and venture out on our own or go with ships excursion package.

Some of the Gaudi architecture is amazing! Got some pictures too of really interestng buildings he designed, but the Segrada is truly amazing. I researched the history and symbolism behind it and did a layout on the church with a page of research. I like to add research on my layouts for things like that - it tells what the spires represent and how Gaudi got th project. Truly amazing to think of how long that has been in constant construction and how much long it will be until it is finished!

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny

• Henri Jean Said:
Sherri - Las Rambles in Barcelona is where are the street mimes are - they are unbelievable. I have some layouts on them but not sure if they are in the gallery.

I think they are, I remember seeing the story about Bill and the alien before, with a picture - so I think it was in your gallery.

pugs223
Idol
pugs223

Sherrenae - Great LOs, I too think that London guards deserve their own page. I really like the Wander LO too, incorporating a lot of photos.

Henri - I love the butterfly border on the Akaka Falls LO, really pops out.

I love hearing everyone's travel stories.

pugs223
Idol
pugs223
In response to pugs223

I think I have some great pics of a mime in Barcelona too and some from Marienplats in Munich where they all moved when money was dropped in their buckets. I will have to take some pics of my LOs this weekend to share.

You are all making want to get on a plane and go sight seeing.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to pugs223

You are right Andrea! I scouted around in my gallery and found the one with the Barcelona mimes!

Barcelona - It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere... By Henri Jean

Barcelona Street Mimes - Henri & The Robo Cop By Henri Jean

Barcelona Street Mimes - Bill & The Alien By Henri Jean

Now that a bit of time goes by, I would have scrapped this very differently but this is early stuff. However, my style is still very clean and crisp with plenty of journaling!

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean

Peg - I didn't see any street mimes in Munich. I feel like I missed something!

We went to the Haufbrau Haus which was interesting. The menu was just paper, not laminated or treated and Bill knew I had my eye on it for my scrapbook.

From the Haufbrau Haus we walked to the Hard Rock Cafe (very close) and Bill pulled the paper menu out from under his shirt. Yes, its in my scrapbook. And my husband is very well trained. Maybe too well trained!

pugs223
Idol
pugs223

Henri - viewing your LOs has inspired me that I need to journal more. I was looking at my LOs and realized I have little to no journaling, just a title and maybe a few picture captions.

The mimes in Munich were in the Glockenspiel/Marienplatz area.

Had good times at the Haufbrau house, was there in 2000 and 2002 and have a couple of beer mugs from there. Your husband is very well trained to grab that menu for you. See that's another thing I didn't do enough of - adding that kind of memorabilia to my LOs (I think that goes back to the militant CM rep I had when I first started scrapping)

Edited by pugs223 on 07-29-11 07:43 AM. Reason for edit: bad grammar

MrsAnnieS
Mayor
MrsAnnieS

There were several street mimes in Koln-it was so much fun to see them! It was pretty amazing to watch.

St. Petersburg is a wonderful place-I was there for an 8th grade exchange program, so of course no great photos. But the memories are still there. The winter palace was just beautiful!

Henri I am so jealous of your trip to Egypt! I want to go see all the tombs and pyramids so bad. My dream vacation would include. Camel ride by the great pyramids!

A question for everyone: if you could go anywhere, where would it be? Your top choice off your travel bucket list? Mine would be a massive trip to Greece Italy and Turkey to visit all the ancient Roman and Greek sites.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to MrsAnnieS

We were in the plaza in front of the Glockenspiel and caught the last little puppet show thing of the afternoon. Very cute but we sure stood there waiting a long time waiting for it! No mimes there that day! This was last May.

I love to Journal because to me the pictures are part of the story but the little things that happened that day - that's the other part.

I think the pages are beautiful without the clutter of the journaling, but when I go back through my scrapbooks I read it all and it makes me smile because it reminds me of the little things that happened that day!

I'm sure I over-journal a lot as you will see - and I'm consistent about it. At least I'm consistent about something! Even if it is over-jounraling.

But I want to know the stories behind the pictures.

Layouts are more beautiful without all the jounraling clutter, so I try hard to work it in. When my husband and I go through the travel scrapbooks we smile at when is written as much or more than we do at the pictures.

I am huge on adding memorbilia. Can't bring myself to throw it away and don't want it in a shoebox so it lands in the scrapbook!

And my favorite memorabilia to scrap - the DO NOT DISTURB signs from hotel and cruise ship rooms. I love the DO NOT DISTURB signs. Kinds of gives the page s "sexy" feel.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean

Egypt is awesome. I even researched the embalming procedures and scrapped a typed page on how it is done. There is so much history I wrote for my Egypt scrapping! I include a lot of maps in my pages too! I usually do a title page for each country and that includes a map and piece of currency and maybe the flag. Arrow point to where we were.

Regret not getting on a camel but we will go back. We want to take a Nile River cruise.

I also want to see Valley of the Queens. But they only let in a handfull of people and it is several hundred dollars I think. you have to wear special footsie slippers. They say it is so much more elegant than the tombs in Valley of the Kings.

At Valley of the Kings you are not even allowed to take your cameras off the tour bus. If you sneak a camera in and take a picture, you never see your camera again. They are that serious about no pictures. Seems the flash of the camera adds to deteriotation of the heiroglyphics on the wall and the colors are fading. Flash photography speeds up the deteriotion process.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean

Great great topic Annie!

The number one place to see is Petra, Jordan. I want to see the huge buildings carved into the stone. And I want to see the place where the final scene in the Indiana Jones movie was filmed. Don't remember the name of it - it is where the chalice was found.

For those who love Bible history, its where Moses led his people and where the burning bush was and the song "He hideth my soul in the cleft of the rock" - that is Petra.

Also, it is the setting for most of the books in the Left Behind series.

I also want to see the Holy Lands, but mostly, I want to see Petra. My husband has been to Petra and says it is very much worth seeing!

The second thing on my bucket list - I want to see the Northern Lights! My husband says when they are at peak level again we can jump on a hop and go see them. I really want to see them. That has always been on my bucket list. It used to be number one, but Petra took over as number one.

karenlane
New Kid On the Block
karenlane

Hi

I packed my belongings and put them in storage. Have been on the road, plane, ship now for 7 months. I have just started to scrap my travels and would like to join your group. I'm not sure how to go about doing that, but would love to participate in this group. Sounds like lots of fun.

Please add me or let me know what to do.

Thanks Karen

pugs223
Idol
pugs223

Egypt would be cool to visit. Talk about history there. I'd also like to see Ireland/Scotland, Australia, Africa, South America. Yeah, I don't have a top choice.

I accidentally took a picture of the Mona Lisa with my flash on and got a lot of angry looks from other tourists. I thought it was off, I really did.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to pugs223

I will add you right now Karen.

7 months! WOW! Where have you been? Can't wait to see your pages.

Do you have a permanent home base or do you travel all the time now?

Sounds like an awesome life!

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean

Peg - you have a few places on your list I've seen (Australia and South America), but mostly, they are places I hope to go to some day too!

Sometimes I feel like I've traveled so much in the past 2 1/2 years, then when I get around other people who travel, I haven't even chipped the iceburg of what is out there to see!

scrappinmylife
Expert
scrappinmylife

Hi everyone!
I just would like to add that my name is Shannon, and I love doing layouts about what I've seen and done on my travels. I am currently working on my last trip to India. It was really nice. I am planning to travel to South America in December,and I can't wait!

scrappinmylife
Expert
scrappinmylife
In response to pugs223

I can't wait to hear about everyone's travels. I am planning to go to Brazil and Argentina.

Edited by scrappinmylife on 07-29-11 08:24 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean

Hi Shannon - I was just checking to see if you made it here yet! Where were you in India. That was a really fascinating company. You mentioned that it was your last trip to India. Are you from India? We were in Mumbai, Goa and Cochin at the end of 2009.

Where in South America are you going? Are you on a cruise or are you flying? We went in January and it was stifling hot in most places around South America but Ushuia and going around Cape Horn and were very cold and required jackets.

That was truly a trip of a lifetime though! I fell in love with Buenos Aires. And I loved Lima, Peru.

scrappinmylife
Expert
scrappinmylife

No, I'm from Alabama. (lol) I tagged along with my boyfriend for work. He was doing some training over there. We spent three weeks in India. We traveled to the Kerala region, the golden triangle, and lastly the technology region of Hyderbad. I didn't get to Goa this time, but maybe next time. It was so nice being with him inn a foreign country. Oh yeah, and we had a two day layover in Belgium.

scrappinmylife
Expert
scrappinmylife

Cochi By Scrappinmylife
[url=http://www.scrapbook.com/galleries/267415/view /3266985/-1.html][img]
http://www.scrapbook.com/gallery/public/326698 5_8_26741... The Taj By Scrappinmylife
I love India By Scrappinmylife

Edited by scrappinmylife on 07-29-11 08:37 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean

Brazil - gorgeous. Seeing Rio de Janiero? We saw the the beaches - Impanema (As in the old song "Girl from Impanema) and I'm spelling it wrong. Also, Copa Cabana beach and Christ Church statue and we rode the sky life thing up to Sugar Loaf.

In Buenos Aires, please do not miss La Recoleta Cemetery. It is a main tourist destination so any tour will take you there but they don't give you enough time. In my opinion, the most beautiful cemetery in the world. It is so amazing. It's like a small city of mauseleums and the are shaped like minitature churches. In many you can look in little side windows and see a little chapel or a casket. Most have statues that are just breathtaking and many even have stained glass.

Eva Perone is there (Evita) but her mauseleum was not that special - some are absolutely spectacular.

One man was there who was there the year before but lost his camera with his pictures of this cememtery so he came back to Buenos Aires just to get pictures of La Recoleta cemetery.

We also enjoyed the Galerias Pacifico Shopping Mall. It was built in 1889 and modeled after the le Bon Marche' in Paris. In 1896 it was an art museum. That may be why the huge arged ceiling (cupolas) are canvases with beautiful old scenes all over them. Some of the frecos were added more recently though.

It has a food court which is in the basement - and is one of the nicest food courts I've ever been in. They food court served steaks and nice selections. Not at all what we have in our food courts in the US)

As an interesting footnote, and this is hard to believe in this beautiful place, in 1987 a flim crew was shooting in the basement of the Galerias Pacifico when they stumbled on an abandoned torture center. It turned out that during the dictatorship, the First Army Corp hid some people in the bowels of the mall. The dungeon walls still bore the desperate markeings made by its long dead prisoners; names, dates and pleas for help.

However, it was every inch gorgeous when we were there.

As I said, I do a lot of research and that is out of my scrapbook but very condensed here.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean

Where in Alabama? I was born in Prichard outside Mobile. My family is in the Northwest corner of Alabama 26 miles from the Mississippi line.

Those fishing nets were amazing (in your first layout). They set them up and the fish just swim into them. I have pictures of one that looks like the same one you photographed. We walked out on the platform (very rickety and places rotted through) and they let us raise and lower the nets. Quite an experience, but boy, were the ropes slimy!

karenlane
New Kid On the Block
karenlane

I'm using my Son's address in Henderson, NV as a home base. It's where I'll end up.

Went to Mexico for a month. Traveled from LV,NV to Florida. Went through 18 states on that trip. Spending time on the beach in central CA right now. Headed to LV then Oregon and Utah next week. Back to LV, then CA, then LV and ending the last three months in Mexico. with a side Cruise to the Eastern Carribean.

Just started the Yellowstone book, almost done actually and will get them posted either today or tomorrow.

Kamananui
Idol
Kamananui
In response to karenlane

Wow, four pages already! I love hearing about everyone's travels.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to karenlane

I know Henderson, NV very well; we are out there every spring for a license plate convention. One of the collectors, Richard, who lives in Henderson lets my husband store about 10,000 license plates in his garage.

Sounds like you are having a great trip!

We were in Cancun in January for 2 weeks and we have been to several Mexican ports on cruise ships.

When in Mexico are you going? And I want to know about your Eastern Caribbean cruise! We did an Eastern Caribbean in 2007 and it was awesome! What ports?

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean

Hi Kelly - I'm loving it too. Only problem is I'm learning about a lot of new places I want to go!!!

ncyankee
Queen
ncyankee

• Henri Jean Said:
We do walking around on our own, double deckers, cabs, buses, trains, car rentals 99% of the time.

There are times when you don't have a choice. We are going to have to get Russian and Chinese visas for this trip. The cruise ship will get Viet Nam, Indonesia, Jakarta, Singapore, and our travel agent will get Australian for us because our Australian visas expire the month before we go. We may need Korean too - if so our travel agent or the cruise ship will get them.

If we go on the ship's tours in Russia we do not need a visa so we may do that, just not sure what we want to see. There are several options. That is one case where it might be better just to go on the ship tours rather than mess with the visa. We are trying to decide if the things we really want to see are on the ship's excursions or if we want to get our visas and see things on our own.

When we were in Egypt (Safaga) you couldn't get out of the tiny port parking lot around the ship without a ship or private group excursion lined up. They lined all the buses up (19 of them), private and ships buses together and put armed gaurds in front of the caravan and more in back of the caravan of buses and more along side all the way to the Valley of the Kings to see King Tut's tomb. All around the port parking where you got off the ship were Egyptian armed guards who wouldn't let you walk out of the immeditate docking area.

We didn't have a ships tour lined up but when Bill saw we weren't going anywhere, he went to one of the buses and bought the ticket directly from the bus driver who wasn't supposed to sell it to us but he did under the table. We were so glad, we would have been heartsick if we had been stuck in port.

Back to Russia - any suggestions Eileen? We need to decide whether to get visas and venture out on our own or go with ships excursion package.

Some of the Gaudi architecture is amazing! Got some pictures too of really interestng buildings he designed, but the Segrada is truly amazing. I researched the history and symbolism behind it and did a layout on the church with a page of research. I like to add research on my layouts for things like that - it tells what the spires represent and how Gaudi got th project. Truly amazing to think of how long that has been in constant construction and how much long it will be until it is finished!

We did not do a ships tour -- but we hired a private tour guide in St. Petersburg. I loved him. Eugene & I are still facebook friends!

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to ncyankee

I think that is what we need to do - then we can see the places we want to see. Any suggestions for good places in Petropavlovsk or Vladivostok?

Guess we better start getting th Russian Visas in order.

Resident

The first time I saw the statue street performs were in one of the squares in Rome 9 years ago. He totally got me lol.

Last weekend when I was down in Pike Street Market in Seattle I saw one there also.

Mulan05
Expert
Mulan05

Wow I disappear for a bit and you have 4 pages for me to catch up on!

Everyone sounds like they have some amazing trips planned! I've now added Spain and Germany to my list of places to see.

Let's see someone asked if I could go anywhere, where'd I'd go. On that list I have Australia, Carribean (Cuba, Dominican Republic, Jamaica, Bahamas, or Aruba), and some more of Europe. I'd also love to do an Alaskan cruise.

Resident
In response to Mulan05

Were would you like to travel that you haven't yet, or really would like to go back to?

My short list is

Any place in Spain
Any place in Greece
definetly some of the Greek islands
Alaska (kind of planning a cruise in 2013)
Want to go back to Italy, partically Rome
Wales

Mulan05
Expert
Mulan05

Karen - Wales is amazing. I saw a very small part of it when I was there in May, and I would love to go back again. The Welsh countryside is just beautiful. I've also never seen so many sheep in my life as I saw there!

karenlane
New Kid On the Block
karenlane

Just learned where Ocala is. I loved Florida. I stayed 3 weeks in Winter Haven. Traveled to Key West, West Hollywood, Orlando, Tampa, Bahamas, etc from there.

Will be in Queretero, QT Mexico. It's about 135 miles north west of Mexico City. It was the Capital during the Spaniard era. Lot's of great history. Close to San Miguel de Allende, Dolores Hildalgo (Hildago liberated Mexico from the Spaniards). I have family there and we visit each other yearly.

We will be porting in St Kitts, St. Lucia, and St. Maarten. I've been to St. Lucia before not the others. Did you stop at any of these?

karenlane
New Kid On the Block
karenlane
In response to karenlane

Karen

Loved the Greek Isles and would definitely go back. My favorite island was Rhodes. Took a Meditteranean Cruise, which I think is a great way to see the islands.

Alaska is cool too, went in July when there is always sunshine. Cruising a great way to go there too, also drove the Alkan highway, which is beautiful

Resident
In response to karenlane

I agree with a cruise of the Greek Islands. Hopefully in about 5 years. I know that sounds like a long time off, but for some reason I have to keep working so I can actually pay for these plans, LOL.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean

Didn't see any in Rome or at Pike's Street Market in Seattle.

I've really missed them!

Did see them on Waikiki and Key West, but they weren't that exciting.

MrsAnnieS
Mayor
MrsAnnieS

Henri you changed your profile pic! Love it! But it made me scratch my head for a second until I got to your signiture!

I just love hearing about where everyone is going and where they've been! Definitely talked me into going to a crusing the greek islands, not that it took much!

Definitely getting excited about our next cruise in January, DH and I just got our hotel booked today, we got a fabulous rate in San Juan at the Renaissance, right on the beach-this past trip we spent a ton of time there body surfing-and plan on doing it again!

ars.scrap
Expert
ars.scrap

Hi everyone - A very special thanks to Terri (AK Teddy Bear) for the invitation to join the group. I actually met Terri last year as I was crossing from Canada into Alaska (Haines) at the border crossing so she knows I'm always on the move. I am also an avid photographer and my camera goes everywhere... It is just myself and my husband and he introduced me to travel in 2004 and I've never looked back.

Lets see... where to start.. I've been scrapping since 2005 and it all started when my husband and I started our travels then. About 90% of my layouts are all travel related so I have lots and of course, like everyone else, I'm so far behind.

Past Travels:
2005-03 Rome, Italy - This is where my hubby proposed and the start of my scrapbooks.
2005-06 Estes Park, Colorado - My backyard but still travel for a family reunion
2005-07 Alaska for the first time (Anchorage & Seward, Denali) - We love it and keep going back
2005-08 Cabarete, Dominican Republic - Wonderful beach life for a month
2005-09 Marble, Colorado - Fall colors
2005-10 Salina, Kansas - Family time
2005-12 Canadian Rockies - Ski trip to backcountry lodge in BC and touring around southern Alberta
2006-03 Kenya - African Safari (wish I had a better camera then)
2006-05 Colorado National Monument in western Colorado
2006-07 to 08 Eastern European Honeymoon which included Czech Republic, Hungary, Poland & Austria
2006-10 Moab, Utah
2006-12 Canada - More skiing in BC
2007-04 Moab, Utah
2007-06 6 week tour of Greece
2007-07 England for 1 week
2007-07 Hiking the Haute Route from Chamonix France to Zermatt, Switzerland
2007-08 Egypt - Cairo, Nile Cruise, etc
2007-09 to 2008-01 Cabarete, Dominican Republic
2008-07 to 08 - Alaska Again (told you we would be back)
2008-10 Northeast Cruise (Boston MA, Portland ME, St. John NB, Halifax NS)
2009-07 Yellowstone National Park

Then we get to 2010 - We started out on March 17, 2010 for a RV trip across North America - There are way too many stops to list here but we've been all over. I have all the stops listed on my personal blog at http://amshetzer.blogspot.com/ (This blog is also where I have lots of travel information so feel free to search it)

Upcoming Trips: We are in Maine now and will stay here for a bit longer. We will take a break from the RV and spend about 10 days in France in September and then we will head either to Alaska or home to Colorado for a bit.

I think that is about it for introductions and where I've been...

Can't wait to see some travel layouts and I'll post some of mine here soon.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean

Angie - it has been active here, which is great. I think it will be while we are all getting to know each other!

I like that you added Cuba on your list. I would love to go there, but from the US it is illegal. We have a friend who is a former senator who went from Mexico and didn't think he would get caught. He did and it cost him a fortune in attorney's fees to get out of the mess he was in.

However, maybe we can go some day!

I have never been to Jamaica and I have mixed feelings about that. I would love to go there but my husband married his ex-wife in a big beach wedding in Jamaica so I'm not sure I want to set him up with those memories. I'm sure he can handle it though. So maybe.

Greek Islands Karen... yeah, I want to go there too.

Karen (Lane), I always enjoy Key West. Last time we rented a 3 bedroom house on the navy base for a group of us. Such good memories. My scrapping then was really embarrasing. Four pictures of Key West per page with the corners overlapping. I went into Archivers in Atlanta and put and 25 pages together in 3 hours or less. I was so pround of them!

St. Marteen was good - need to run get my scrapbook to see what we saw there...

I wrote a little history in my book - Is the smallest island in the world to be divided between two sovereign powers, the French (they own 21 square miles) and the Dutch (they own 16 square miles). The Durch side is St. Maarten and the French side is St. Martin.

The territory underwent 16 chnges of flag from 1658-1816 with France, Holland and even britian claiming it at times.

we found a wonderful beachy restaurant called Island Flava. Bright yellows and oranges with an awning in front. Couldn't be more tropical looking.

They had conch fritters on their menu but - too much breading and not enough conch. So they made us deep fried conch as a custom order when we requested it. It was a massive platter of fried conch and each piece had a piece of meat nearly the size of my little finger! It is the best conch meat I have ever had!

St. Kitts was another with that beachy, tropical feel.

A man came up to me in St. Kitts with a mama monkey and two little babies wearing diapers. The next thing I know he put them in my arms and my husband started taking pictures. Then he put them on my head and Bill continued taking pictures. We didn't aske him to or even tell him he could.

Then he wanted $10.00. Bill said, "I will give you a dollar for 1 minute of holding the monkeys, but not $10.00. We didn't ask you to do it, you just handed her the monkeys and at first she didn't even want to take them.

The man insisted he wanted $10.00 and Bill insisted he was only paying $1.00 for something we didn't ask for and for only 1 minutes.

So the man walked off and wouldn't take the dollar.

What ship are you going on?

My husband has made a lot of trips to the Greek Islands. I'm with you Karen in WA - I would love to go! He says my favorite island will be Crete and he knows me very well so he is probably right.

I'm in a critique group called the Flappers (the name comes from Flat Scappers)and we get together once a year. Next July we are going to get together in Alaska!!! Can't wait!

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean

Hey Annie - tell me again about your cruise - I'm getting confused! Hopefully I'm not the only one.

I love Old San Juan. There is a hole in the wall food court - a real whole in the wall not far from the park. A sign in front of the food court (hand written) says they have the best smoothies in the world. They are telling the truth. We went back every day for one.

Also love the both of the castles, worth going through if you haven't yet and I have a love of cemeteries and they have a beautiful one in Old San Juan by th ocean. I took so many pictures of that cemetery - it is so picturesque. I've heard it was a background in quite a few movies.

ars.scrap - great introduction. I haven't met Terri in person yet but am looking forward to meeting her sometime! Our paths have come close. We were in West Virginia the same week for different conventions on different sides of the state! She is so awesome. I'm so glad she's over here with us!

Your husband proposed in Rome? You got one exciting husband! So romantic!

You have been to some really awesome places! Many I can just hope to see some day!

In the US you have been to Moab and that is what I think is some of the prettiest land in the US. We were just there earlier this summer and we go there most summers coming back from Las Vegas.

We did the day jet boat tour and are anxious to do the night boat trip. Winds were to high for the boat to go out when we were through this year.

I want to hear about the Nile cruise becasue we are thinking about doing that!

Can't wait to hear more about your travels!

Resident

Henri, last saturday was the first time I saw the statue street performer at the market, so I don't think he has been around much.

I am so happy, I got my cruise album today!! I know the cruise is 6 months off, but I ordered it from here when they had them on special. Now I just have to stop bouncing or it is going to be a very long afternoon.

Sherrenae
Diva
Sherrenae

Oh my, this is fun.

I want to go back and read again from the beginning and take some notes before the thread gets to long.

Has anyone been to Norway? My dad's grandparents immigrated from there and I have always wanted to go - particularly to the area of Bergen.

My passport expires next year so I need to be renewing it soon. Not that I am planning at the moment to go anywhere, but a girl has to be prepared.

karenlane
New Kid On the Block
karenlane
In response to Sherrenae

so right Sherrie, taking notes is a great idea

karenlane
New Kid On the Block
karenlane
In response to karenlane

ok I'm off to a book sale in Cambria Ca.

Resident

Would love to hear more about San Juan, hope to go there in a few years!! Ths smoothies must have been good

Anonymous 
  • Anonymous on 07-29-11 03:24 PM

Good grief. I leave for one day and I'm behind.

I don't know where to start. In April we went on a 14 day cruise to Eastern and Southern Caribbean. Karen..welcome and I love St Lucia. It is one of my favorite island. We have been there three times and every time I have had a blast. Have you ever tried Grenada? On the eastern side, Grenada and Barbados are my mostest favorite. We went to St. Maarten this year and it was not my favorite. But you have to go to the bar where stupid tourists get blown into the ocean from the plane exhaust. It is hiliarious. I have the name of the bar in my journal and tomorrow I post it.

I'm with Eileen. We very rarely book a shore excursion. I can't stand to be "herded." We did book a excursion in Grenada where they take you out on a catamarin, snorkel, and then, take you to a beach for BBQ'd lobster and champagne. It was a little spendy but worth every penny. The lobster was at least two feet long!!!

We also did Antigua, Aruba, Curacao and Bonaire. We were lucky enough to see the wild flamingoes both in Curacao and Bonaire.

We just got back from Yosemite, the Caifornia coast and renting a beach house on Oregon coast for a week. Yosemite was spectacular!

You all have been to some amazing places and I'm totally jealous!

I guess my bucket list of places are:

1. Africa!!!!
2. Diving the Great Barrier Reef and the Red Sea
3. Carnival in Rio
4. Pyramids in Eygpt
5. Travel up the Amazon River
6. Seychelles Islands

You know, of course, nothing is off limits.

Well I have probably left something out but I'm rambling. Welcome to all the new people and I'm so looking forward to getting to know all of you.

ars.scrap
Expert
ars.scrap

Henri - I'll try to get some Moab related pages uploaded for you. We spent the month of May in Utah so I have lots of pages from all the National Parks in that area.

In relation to the Nile cruise, I actually did an Egypt tour through Trafalgar. Normally my hubby and I are dead set against organized tours as we hate to be herded around. I would highly recommend that for safety and ease, a tour in Eqypt is the way to go. When we realized that the guard on our bus had a semi-automatic weapon on him at all times and the river boat had a mounted machine gun on its back, we knew we had made the right choice in going with a tour.

I looked at their current itineraries and the Wonders of Ancient Egypt 2011 is a very close match to what we did and I honestly can't think of a thing we would have changed about it. I'll look for some of my travel journals, but here is a link to some photos and write-ups that I did back then.

http://amshetzer.blogspot.com/search/label/Egypt

Happy Travels - Angela

Anonymous 
  • Anonymous on 07-29-11 04:32 PM
In response to ars.scrap

Hey Angela,

I'm so tickled you made it to our little family. Are you still in Newfoundland or have you moved on?

ars.scrap
Expert
ars.scrap

Hey Terri - Thanks so much for the invitation!!

We actually just drove into Maine today - We are in Lubec Maine right now (the eastern most town in the US) and my hubby will be in Maine for the next couple weeks while I fly back to Missouri to visit my sister who is getting ready to have her 2nd baby very very soon.

My travels will be a bit limited over the next month as I help my sister out.

ars.scrap
Expert
ars.scrap
In response to ars.scrap

OK - Finally got a few layouts to upload of Moab...

Away We Go By Ars.scrap

PICTURE PERFECT By Ars.scrap

The Great Outdoors By Ars.scrap

False Kiva By Ars.scrap

ncyankee
Queen
ncyankee

• Henri Jean Said:
I think that is what we need to do - then we can see the places we want to see. Any suggestions for good places in Petropavlovsk or Vladivostok?

Guess we better start getting th Russian Visas in order.

We didn't have to get Visa's b/c we used a russian guide. I've never been to either of those places -- Just St. Petersburg.

ncyankee
Queen
ncyankee
In response to ncyankee

Hi there --

Africa is on my list -- though I'm thinking of doing a service vacation there. Don't think I'll ever get kevin there.

Galapagos -- think I already said that.

I love the national parks -- And Terri Yosemite is amazing. Think Brendan is going to go climbing there next summer. I climbed Devils Tower in Wy last year -- that's it for me. I couldn't lift my arms for 2 days -- how can I have a beverage if I can't lift my arms!!

I have 2 weekend trips coming up. Ohio for scrapping - with some friends from sb.com. And then NY for the US Open.
Both quickies -- but should both be a blast.

We were gonna do Egypt -- but I bailed. Now I regret that -- don't know when it'll be safe again.

My oldest son goes to boarding school -- so it's hard to get him to leave the house when he's home.

Just finished a lo from Barcelona -- my first Gaudi one.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to ncyankee

Karen - what kind of cruise album did you get?

I am going to make a chart and put it near the front with everyones trips and where they are going and when. Then we can wish proper bon voyages and be rightfully jealous!

I will work something out for that. When I get it going I'll ask for day to day schedule so we can see on a daily bases where all the members of our group are.

Norway is another dream vacation!!!!!

Old San Juan is gorgeous - old cobblestone roads and alleys - very romantic town. And it there is an old gate to the city - arches kind of. Two big castles guard it. I think I have layouts in the gallery of some of it. Will look and see. I removed my old layouts that weren't getting looked at because it was getting hard to find everything. I think I took out over 900!

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean

Terri - seems like you are always traveling this year! So awesome. I know some of it has been business trips, but still, travel is travel!

I'd love to do Africa, particularly South Africa and diving the great barrier reef! Do you scuba dive? Bill wants to teach me. Right now I can just snorkel. Am a little timid about coming nose to nose with a shark though.

Where are the Seychelles Islands?

Angela - we did Valley of the Kings in Luxor on a cruise ship tour because we didn't have a choice. However, in Alexandria we walked around on our own and shared a cab with another couple part of the time.

I will definitely go back and check your blogspot and I agree, that art of Egypt is not safe and you need something organized. You can't just take off on your own. In Alexandria it was okay but guards were everywhere.

Your layouts look amazing Angela. Going to look at them closer so I'll be roaming around in your gallery for a while.

ncyankee
Queen
ncyankee

I went scuba diving once - it was a disaster for me. Got to the bottom and totally panicked. I'll stick with snorkeling.

My next door neighbor is going on a Norway Fjords cruise -- she's leaving next week. I've not been to Norway -- but have been to Denmark, Sweden, & Estonia. They were fantabulous!

Page 1 of 53 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics