Username Post: HELP .. NEW SCRAPPER        (Topic#1480913)
cynscrapgirl
Idol
cynscrapgirl

Just Started Scrapping curious what everyone uses as a desk surface when scrap booking I use a small cutting mat but would love more surface space if I use inks I sometimes get all over my small cutting mat and it;s not enough room Where can I purchase a big mat.. how about a quilters mat seems like same material but found in another area in craft section.. Thanks

i.love.chris
Veteran
i.love.chris
In response to cynscrapgirl

I have a small 12" x 18" cutting board and i use it often without being frustrated that i don't have more space. I also when to a thrift store to buy a computer table to use as my "scraproom". It's got great little cubbies to hold all my things and there is enough work surface without taking up a whole bunch of space in my house.

SplendidMoments
Governor
SplendidMoments
In response to i.love.chris

Depends how much room you really have. You could get a folding table bring it out whenyou wanna and need to... put away for later. Use your little space for little things.

cynscrapgirl
Idol
cynscrapgirl
In response to SplendidMoments

I'm actually working at a large desk I meant more what do you lay your page on when your stamping glueing etc..The desk surface seems like a uneven surface and I get glue, glitter, ink on desk..

RhondaR
Diva
RhondaR

I save the 12x12 pieces of cardboard that come in paper packs or in my pp orders and use that when I'm doing something really messy like modpodging.

SplendidMoments
Governor
SplendidMoments
In response to RhondaR

I have done the same... I have used scrap paper, cardboard. Honestly mostly nothing because my desk is really old, good but old. the owners before us left it in the workshop, so I adopted it for craft table.

Manda_K
Queen
Manda_K
In response to SplendidMoments

I have a glasstop table surface, it is 1/4" thick and I love it. I can cut wherever and ink just wipes right off. I also have a wood surface.

terrihooper
Mayor
terrihooper
In response to Manda_K

I use a quilters self healing mat-- I love the fact that it is gridded-- It protects my wood desk top-- I have used my eyelet setter on it, my x-acto knife etc.. The only problem I have had is that I warped it a little with my embossing gun--I got mine for less than 25.00 at WM. It was definitely a good buy!

a_bowen13
Expert
a_bowen13
In response to terrihooper

These are good ideas. Right now, I just use whatever. Until I get my room completely remodeled, that is.

pearlygadget
Veteran
pearlygadget
In response to a_bowen13

Here is my scrap space. we live in a RV so we don't have very much space but I have the whole desk file drawer and 3 totaes under the daybed/couch with all my embellishments in there. I really like the fact that I am in the livingroom with my family. my paper shelf is in the bedroom closet. so I have to go in there to get the paper but there is just no place for it out here int he livingroom.

Expert
In response to pearlygadget

I have two different small mats. One is the creative memories one and I use that for all my cutting. The second I have is one that came with my perfect layers and I use that for anything messy. (Glitter, embossing, inking) So you might wnt to think about a standard one that stays down all the time and a second smaller one for the messier projects.

JustLori
Mayor
JustLori
In response to lisarup

I have a piece of tempered glass on my desktop...it came from an old storm door...I love it, easy clean up, smooth cutting!

Just G
Just G 
Queen
Just G
In response to JustLori

i bought a 4 ft x 2ft folding table and keep it stored under my bed. I only use it for scrapping. I don't care if it gets marks and inks all over it.

Before then when i used my desk/table surface I just covered it with newspaper or towel if I was using paint

Swirls R Pretty
Expert
Swirls R Pretty
In response to Just G

I picked up a small folding table at Big Lots for $29. I just cover it with old (I always buy to much) christmas paper when I'm doing messy projects.

1FUNSCRAPPER
Resident
1FUNSCRAPPER
In response to Swirls R Pretty

I just use an old 6ft table in the basement!

minxy1
minxy1 
Tenant
minxy1

Love all the ideas ladies! I just started and don't have a whole lot of room. I got a nice organizer with wheels at a yard sale this weekend. Looked like it wasn't even used. They still had the wheels in a bag. Perfect for my supplies. Keep all your great ideas coming. I know I need all the help I can get!

scrapchica
Guru
scrapchica
In response to minxy1

They sell really large plastic cutting boards at Walmart. You can chop away on them and it's relatively inexpensive.

patchouli2000
Expert
patchouli2000
In response to scrapchica

I put an oilcloth/tablecloth over my folding table and I use a self-healing mat for cutting and rubberstamping.

pearlygadget
Veteran
pearlygadget
In response to patchouli2000

I want to get some kind of glass or plexiglass sheet for my desk to protect it.

LindaScraps2
Idol
LindaScraps2
In response to pearlygadget

I have a small table next to my chair and this is where i do everything with the exception of inks/stamping then i use the kitchen table...my dream is having my own craft space like my sil karen

linda

pearlygadget
Veteran
pearlygadget
In response to LindaScraps2

I have one of those self healing cutting mats it was a really big one and never fit anywhere I wanted to use it so We cut it to fit on on a deskin our old house. the only problem is that I can't stand the look of it on this desk. I ave the smaller piece that we cut off of it but it is warped and I can't figure out how to get it back flat. I would love to beable to put it on the deska nd use it instead of the little one I am using right now.

any ideas on how to unwarp it would be great.

Croppin4Christ
Guru
Croppin4Christ

• cynhotaz Said:
I'm actually working at a large desk I meant more what do you lay your page on when your stamping glueing etc..The desk surface seems like a uneven surface and I get glue, glitter, ink on desk..

I use a large plastic mat, 2 x 3 feet under what I am scrapping. If I need to move the layout, I can just move the entire mat. I also have 4 of the same type mats, but only 8 x 11, that I use when I glue, emboss, or do other messy things. Pluse I have a special rubber stamping mat for stamping. On my other table I keep the Fiskars cutting mat and move to use it. I have a scrap room, so I have the advantage of several work areas. I am so spoiled that I even take my mats with me to crops! My niece always scraps with me; for our first crop we didn't take the mats, then we realized how spoiled we were to them. They really define our spot. Plus, if the crop has you eating dinner in your spot, just pick up the mat with everything in tack! I bought all of them at Big Lots in the school section.

Seaexplore
Governor
Seaexplore
In response to Croppin4Christ

I have a desk I made w/my dad out of a door slab that we covered with shower board to make it a whiteboard top- I can doodle on it, make shopping lists, whatever and it wipes right off. I clean the tough stuff off w/goof off or windex. I've even used simple green on it. LOVE IT! It's pretty much indestructible. I don't cut on the surface directly, I have a 24x36 self healing fiskar's quilters mat that I use for cutting on. I like that the mat is HUGE and I can put it out on my desk or the pool table top and work there if I need MORE space!

Patti Sylvia
Diva
Patti Sylvia
In response to Seaexplore

I have a folding table.....2 x 4.....that has a hard plastic surface. On it I use a 15 x 17 in. self healing, magnetic mat. I also save the cardboard backs to packaging or the inserts in the page protectors for all the inking, painting, etc.... to keep the mat and table clean.

I also have another folding table behind me.....it's one of the cheaper ones (the top is cardboardy like) I use it just to lay things on dry and have a little room to spread out, but definitely want to upgrade someday to the table legs from Ikea and a countertop type top. If that makes any sense.

Hmmm....maybe santa....

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics