Username Post: techniques        (Topic#1560491)
ellybug312
Veteran
ellybug312

Ive been wanting to try new techniques, ive done about 7/8 layouts, and ive been doing the basics, stickers, matting my photos, and just basic title by alphabet stickers ... and just regular things. Im really wanting to try new things to make my page really interesting, like shaker boxes (i love the looks of those), i dont have the supplies to emboss, or dry embossing or any fansy tools. what are some ideas that you would suggest for a bigginer?

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to ellybug312

If you have an Archivers near you - if you buy the cardstock from them you can make all kinds of die cut shapes. That is one of the first things I did - I made letters and palm trees and things that I used for a long time in one afternoon and all it cost was the price of a couple pieces of cardstock.

Several places have a Cricut and you can use them and they will even help. Michaels is good for this.

One of the first things I learned to do (and I use very few techniques really), was to get distress ink and a stipling bruch and make the paper look old and distressed. I don't remember how much the stipling brush or the distressed ink actually was, but I got a lot of mileage out of it.

I don't distress often but I love the way it looks so I try to ocassionally distress a few pages.

ellybug312
Veteran
ellybug312
In response to Henri Jean

did you make die cuts free hand?

afitzgerald91
Resident
afitzgerald91

You sound just like me! I have only really tried the basics, myself - matting, stickers, etc, and today I tried rub-ons for the first time and I fell in love! I like that the letters looked like they were part of the page, and because I overlapped a picture, it instantly brought everything together. I almost bought some stamps today, too, but decided against it because I couldn't choose which swirly pretty stamp to buy! Hahaha! I want to try distressing but have to idea how to even begin going about that, so maybe I'll try that distress ink and stippling brush idea!

As far as die cuts go, I'm feeling very very confused about them. I've found items online that look like 12X12 cardstock and they are called die cuts, but then when I search die cuts online I get like...cut outs? I don't know what to make of them. Maybe I'll go to Joanne's or Michael's and ask someone for some hands on advice, AC Moore never has anyone helpful.

I'd love to see some of your layouts!

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to afitzgerald91

Die cuts are actually cut outs. They can be letters too - it just means they were cut with an electronic or manual die cut machine.

If you try stippling, I learned that you have to make a motion like you are making light and heavy dots. You can tell when someone is stippling because its a constant tap-tap-tapping sound. I was told not to do a back and forth motion.

There may be a use for back and forth motion, but I was taught to just pound the stippling brush on the paper or cardstock.

ellybug312
Veteran
ellybug312

Glad im not the only one! Yay! But i added some of my Layouts, ive still got one more i need to add & get a picture of. lol feel free to comment and give honest opinion. Thanks for your answers!!

Here Kitty
Mayor
Here Kitty

I am a big fan of making my own embellishments.You can cut designs out of patterned paper and attach them to your page with foam dots for dimension. You can use punches to punch out shapes and do the same thing as well. There are hundreds of things to do, it just depends on how you want to narrow it down. Maybe look at some layouts in the gallery and pick out things from them that you'd like to do.

kelseymel
Idol
kelseymel
In response to Here Kitty

You can definitely make your own embellishments - especially flowers. Start with this post . So many of them are so easy and you don't need any special tools to make them.

Check out youtube for tutorials on making shaker boxes and other things. Also tons of tips on stamping there. (Be careful though, youtube is addictive!)

As far as distressing goes, you don't need anything but ink to get a great look. Tear the edge of some paper first. You can do it neatly by holding the edge down with your paper trimmer or a ruler, or just start tearing like crazy. Try both and see which you like better. Then you can apply a little (or a lot) of ink. You can apply it directly from the ink pad or use a makeup sponge. I've used cotton balls, wadded up toilet paper, and my finger. My favorite thing to use is an eyeshadow applicator -- I've found it's the perfect size for the look I like.

Also fun to rub ink all over the paper, spray it with water, wad it up and then let it dry. It makes the paper look almost like leather.

Play around with layering and different ways of matting your photos. Try double or triple matting your photo to make it really pop.

Stroll thru the gallery and if you see something on someone's work you'd like to try -- don't be afraid to ask them how they did it! Everyone here is very nice and helpful and would be flattered by your interest.

Hope this helps a little! Remember to have fun!

MrsAnnieS
Mayor
MrsAnnieS
In response to kelseymel

Distressing is a great way to add some texture to your page-you don't even need ink if you don't want it, but I love the look that distress ink gives to the edges.

You can water distress, just spritz your paper with a spray bottle,or run it under the faucet and start playing, crumple the edges, scrunch it up whatever you like. Just keep in mind that your paper will warp and shrink when it dries. From there you can brush ink pads over the ridges to highlight.

you can aways just crumple the pp dry, tear it or use the blade of your scissors to rough up the edges.

I love the look of distressed edges, I do it to pretty much all my pages to add some softness to my edges. You can start with scissors to distress the edges and if it is something you find you like you can get an edge distressor for under $6.

Like was mentioned above check youtube for scrapbook or distressing techniques.

Joellio
Guru
Joellio
In response to MrsAnnieS

fussy cutting as also a great technique for embellishing a page and all you need is pattern paper and scissors. Cut out the designs on the paper and add to the page.

Lamoo12
Governor
Lamoo12
In response to Joellio

you can use sandpaper to rough up some edges.

layering paper will give things a different look.

maybe try hidden elements under the paper/pics you already own.

ellybug312
Veteran
ellybug312
In response to Lamoo12

Thanks for all of the ideas!! i will deffinately try to make some of my own embelishments and i will try sandpaper and wetting for a destressed look

binkiemonstermom
Idol
binkiemonstermom

Youtube is your best friend. Want to know how to do something....it is on youtube!!!! Any kind of technique is on there. Find a LO that you like and technique used and go search!!!! You will find tons of videos to watch!!! I think inking is always an easy technique and doesn't cost a lot. I have changed from the way I have scrapbooked in the past. I no longer even go down the sticker isles...I make 90% of my own embellishments now. I will not buy anymore until I use what I already have! It might take me awhile!!!!
Enjoy learning new techinques!!! I love playing!!! Sometimes when I do a LO, my goal is to use a new techinque on it....I love trying something new!!!!

surescrapsalot
Veteran
surescrapsalot
In response to binkiemonstermom

I agree....I love youtube! I also attend a class every second week. That gives you some hands on experience and because it is held at my local craft store I can purchase the required tools or supplies for the technique learned. I used to by new things without fully understanding them and then they just sat in a drawer.

If you chose to start purchasing inks I would keep an updated list of the colours you have so that you don't duplicate them once your library starts to grow. Keep it in your purse so you have it to reference. Also, keep a wish list with you and cross them off as you purchase them. I find that I am in awe of everything when I get to the craft store that I forget what I really want! As you're making a page and find that you are missing that one particular element jot it down and pick it up later!

ellybug312
Veteran
ellybug312
In response to surescrapsalot

yess i have became a youtube fan! i usually only looked up music, lol but now ive fell inlove with watching videos ive learned alot!! they all make since.. and explain it step by step!! thank you all soooo much!!! but-- what did you start out with while making your own emblishments? like a simple flower (i bought a magazine) and it shows how to make flowers..but other than that? what all could you make? i dont have a crop o dile (and i dont really understand it) but ive seen where people use it alot (& watched videos) lol... what could i make kinda simple to begin with?

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean

You gave great advice scrapsalot - it you buy something and don't know how to use it, it will most likely end up sitting in a drawer!

That is sure true with me!

afitzgerald91
Resident
afitzgerald91

I'm about to go onto YouTube and look up different ways to distress...Hope I'm ready to spend HOURS on it! Haha

I want to try inking the edges, I've seen a few LOs where it's done and I think it adds so much character to the page...I think it'd do wonders for my Harry Potter LO's, to create that aged look. I also want to incorporate ribbons - I've seen some variations of ways to use it and some of them are beautiful, some are playful...and I know ribbon is CHEAP at Big Lots!

Can't wait to try more things, working on getting myself some brads and flowers as well..and stamps...and rub ons...and punches......oh jeez.

ellybug312
Veteran
ellybug312
In response to afitzgerald91

Thanks for the flower tutorial!!! and alfitzgearld-im going on youtube as well!! and i know im ready to try rub ons and all that other fun stuff!! lol and i love your destressing the harry potter themed scrapbooks idea, its going to make them all perfect!!!! Cant wait to see! thanks everybody for your help!! you all helped me alot!

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean

I think it would be fun to scrap Harry Potter pages. I'm amazed at all the Harry Potter scrap pages that are out there! The scrapbooks stores and online scrap stores are full of Harry Potter stuff. Some of it is just tooooooo cute.

PhotobearSam
Idol
PhotobearSam

I was like you...Mat photos, stickers, etc....

Then I saw someone using a sanding block on the edges of her photos. It makes the edges white and it was like adding another layer. I loved the look. I have done that now a few times. I have also used the $1 stamp pads at Michaels to ink the edges of mats and paper to make them a little nicer and have them stand out more.

I am also addicted to glimmer mist, Perfect Pearl Mists and BLING. I love adding some individual rhinestone and pearls or swirly bling....I also Mist EVERYTHING....I might one day Glimmer mist one of my cats....LOL

I am sure you will get a lot of techniques under your belt quickly.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to PhotobearSam

When you glimmer mist your cats, please post a picture! However, I think it would be difficult to get them to hold still for it! Your'e funny.

ellybug312
Veteran
ellybug312

Im gonna have to try gimmer mist!!! that sound sooo much fun lol i didnt even know they made that. haha and i have one more ?... all i need is a ink pad to "ink the edges/destress ink" they are the same thing??

madmatter
Diva
madmatter

inking the edges of your mats is cheap (about $2 a color), easy, and adds a layer of dimension to your LOS ... and have fun

ellybug312
Veteran
ellybug312

Im going to try glimmer mist!! i have been watching videos on it forever! i love the way it looks and turns out! soo ready to go find some!!n

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics