Username Post: do I need nesties?        (Topic#1573411)
jennkaun
Tenant
jennkaun

Hi,
So I've read a few threads about how lots of people love their nesties. I think I've figured out what they do, but if I already have a cricut do I really need nesties as well?
I'm still fairly new, so want to increase my tool collection, but I don't want to spend money needlessly (especially since I'm still paying back student loans)
I've seen the templates in the store here, but not the machine that goes with them, am I missing something?

Really need some insight on this one before I buy anything!

siameseplease
Angel
siameseplease
In response to jennkaun

Hmmmm....well, I can't help with whether or not your Cricut can do the same thing, as I don't have one.

However, to use Nesties, you do need a machine. You can use the regular nesties in a cuttlebug, Sizzix (original, big kick or big shot), or the Spellbinders Grand Calibur. The Grand Nesties that cut really big shapes can only be used in the Grand Calibur, though. I think it's the only machine big enough to fit them. If you don't need to cut really big shapes and would prefer the regular nesties, then I'd just use a coupon and get a cuttlebug or sizzix machine.

That being said, before buying them at all, I'd scrap for a while. As you are making layouts, you'll find yourself thinking, "man, I wish I could do (this) or have (that)". Then start a list for yourself. Over time, you'll see what items on your list that you keep referring back to and wishing you had. Go from there with future purchases.

Hope this helps! Welcome to sb.com!

Here Kitty
Mayor
Here Kitty
In response to jennkaun

Several machines will cut Spellbinders dies - I've linked some of them below.

First off, the Spellbinders dies are different in that they will emboss as well as cut. With a Cricut, you only get the die cut, but with a Spellbinders die, you can also emboss it. If you click on the products, you can also find videos, etc that explain them. The Spellbinders website is also very helpful.

If you look at the picture below, you can see how I embossed the die cuts (crown, decorative circle and die cut behind it).
Little Girl By Here Kitty

You can also use the die itself as a mask and ink/chalk/spray over it to create a die cut like the pink/white one on this card below - the same technique was used on the card above (yellow portion)
Gratitude By Here Kitty
Products Referenced in This Post:

kellyshoaf
Idol
kellyshoaf
In response to Here Kitty

Even though I have a cricut (and actually just bought the new mini), I LOVE the simplicity of the cuttlebug and know people REALLY love the nesties. it takes no time to set up, you don't have to figure out the right size/cut on the mat--less time and guess work. I say go for it. I got my cuttlebug with one of the 50% coupons ac moore gives out every few months.

disneylisa
Mayor
disneylisa
In response to kellyshoaf

It really depends on if you want to start investing the money and if you'd make good use of them. I personally bought my first major tool - a Craft Robo (electronic die cutter that uses computer programming rather then cartridges so you can do any shape/size) after scrapping for nearly 5 years. While I love that machine, a year later I bought a cuttlebug so I could use embossing folders. And then I started branching out into nesties. Although I could make mats using my CraftRobo I find myself using the nesties more often, even if I am a bit limited in size, just because as Kelly mentioned, its easier and faster then using the Robo, plus I like the added effect of the embossed part. I'm still absolutely glad that I have both tools, but the cuttlebug and nesties have ended up costing me more then the electronic die cutter so be prepared and be sure its something you'd use.

Expert
In response to disneylisa

I like my nesties cause they can emboss. I have a cricut too, but I find it easier to use the nesties. I usually have to cut with my cricut 2-3 times before I get just the right size. I can usually find a nestie that will just be perfect.

So..in answer to your question....IMHO....You need nesties...

leslief
Idol
leslief
In response to deedee49

• deedee49 Said:
I like my nesties cause they can emboss. I have a cricut too, but I find it easier to use the nesties. I usually have to cut with my cricut 2-3 times before I get just the right size. I can usually find a nestie that will just be perfect.

So..in answer to your question....IMHO....You need nesties...

Yup! Same with me-- I've had a Cricut for 3 years; got my Big Shot a year ago. I use my Big Shot, Nesties, and Cuttlebug folders more than anything now (especially, since I started making cards).
Just don't pay full price-- can get them lots of places 50%-40% off.

Just G
Just G 
Queen
Just G
In response to leslief

I have a cricut expression and desperately want a big kick or grand calibur and nesties....I like the ability to cut AND emboss at the same time. You cant do that with the cricut

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny
In response to Just G

No, you don't "need" them. I have a Sizzix Big Shot and I love manual die-cutting, but I've gotten along just fine for years without the Nesties. I do have the Sprightly Sprockets Shapeabilities set, but I got them because of the gear shapes, not because of the branding or type of die.

madmatter
Diva
madmatter
In response to aquabunny

whatever you do, don't let Holly answer this question

she has converted all of us into a bunch of nestie addicts drooling over the newest shapes

I am an admitted addict and now have over 20 sets of them, even though I have a Cricut, and probably can do everything I do with a nestie with it (except the embossing).

They are very convenient, easy to use, easy to store, and very, very pretty

so you need them? of course not ... do you want them? absolutely

Ohio4HMom
Expert
Ohio4HMom
In response to madmatter

• madmatter Said:
whatever you do, don't let Holly answer this question

she has converted all of us into a bunch of nestie addicts drooling over the newest shapes

I am an admitted addict and now have over 20 sets of them, even though I have a Cricut, and probably can do everything I do with a nestie with it (except the embossing).

They are very convenient, easy to use, easy to store, and very, very pretty

so you need them? of course not ... do you want them? absolutely

I was gonna say don't ask Holly!

miniscraper
Idol
miniscraper
In response to Ohio4HMom

Holly got me hooked!!!! Bad Holly Bad.....lol

scrappyjae
Tenant
scrappyjae
In response to miniscraper

Yep....another one that Holly converted. I have gone nuts with getting the nesties, all on sale or with a coupon though. I can't afford to get them without. They are awesome. I got the Sizzix Big Shot, on sale at $59.99 with free shipping from J's. Best deal I saw as they don't sell those machines in any of the stores near me. I love it! I have the Cricut, but found that I am not using it that much and the cartridges aren't that cheap, even on sale. With the nesties, you can use a M's coupon for 50% of and get them for around $13 or $16. I use my children to help take advantage of the 50% off, so I can get a couple at a time. Yep, it's all Holly's fault. If she didn't have such great looking cards using the nesties I would have been saved.

Ohio4HMom
Expert
Ohio4HMom
In response to scrappyjae

I have the original sizzix, I REALLY want a big shot but figure I can do it old school I guess if it means I can buy the nesties

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to Ohio4HMom

Why is it always HOLLY'S fault??????????

As someone mentioned,,,,,,,,you don't NEED nesties,,,,,,but you may WANT them very badly,,,,,

they cut shapes that can be very intricate,,,,are wonderful for layering, matting, and can be used as a stencil to ink through,,,,,,,

I love love LOVE layering them! They just look SO gorgeous!

Hello from the heart By CommaHolly

Home sick cards By CommaHolly

they even have rolled flowers that are gorgeous and simple to make,,,,,like these!

different view By CommaHolly

(that rectangle shaped box they are sitting on is a nestie too! Romantic REctangles)

beware,,,,,once you buy a few sets,,,,you'll be hooked,,,,,,,buy them with a coupon or on the bid site,,,,,,I rarely spend more than 15 dollars for a set, and often as little as 7 bucks for a set on there.

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to CommaHolly

Oh, and if you DO want them,,,,,,I suggest one set at a time, pace yourself, and know you will NEVER "catch up",,,,,every time I turn around, they come out with another pretty one,,,,I have at least a dozen on my want list NOW, and I have over 50 sets. So don't spend more than you can afford, buy cheap when you can, and know that if you don't get that one set on the bid site, there will be another. And don't poo poo USED sets on the bid site,,,,,,you can sometimes get an especially good price for a used set, and they will still work just as nicely,,,,,,,just make sure all the dies in the set are present before bidding.

slow and steady wins the race!

Kim222
Kim222 
Mayor
Kim222

Wow Holly those are GORGEOUS cards!!!

I have not one set of nesties, but it seems I really might need them!! Now I understand how you might be to blame for the addiction

Are those intricate shapes hard to remove from the die once cut?

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to Kim222

Not if you use a trick

put wax paper between the die and the paper, then cut AND emboss,,,,,,,,

and your intricate die cut pops right out!

without wax paper, some of them are a NIGHTMARE!

And thank you for the compliment!

Kim222
Kim222 
Mayor
Kim222

Wax paper!! BRILLIANT!!
Are you on commission because I just ordered a few
Is there anything extra I need for the embossing part? I have a big shot.

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to Kim222

Oh how I wish I was commission on spellbinders instead of commission on travel (I'm a travel agent! Guess that means I know how to sell a product )

None of those will be hard to get out of the dies,,,,,,well, maybe the butterfly you'll need to use wax paper, I don't have that one, so I'm not sure,,,,,the rest will be fine.

Love the labels 18 and I have the 2010 version of those ornaments,,,,I want those though

Like I said, I have a dozen on my want list

jennkaun
Tenant
jennkaun

Wow Holly I can really see why you've gotten people hooked! Your cards are gorgeous!!

I think I will go for them at some point, but I may have to wait until Christmas now. Unfortunately my job is kinda up in the air right now, so its probably not a good idea to start spending money on such an addicting product!

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to jennkaun

thank you for the compliment,,,it's the nesties that make them gorgeous

I'm hoping the job works out in your favor!

I didn't start collecting nesties until two years after I first heard of them. They are not for everyone,,,,,,,nor does ANYONE need to have them,,,,,

but they are fun, if and when you can afford them

Another option, is to swap cricut cuts for nesites cuts with someone who doesn't have a cricut,,,,,or a particular cart you have. Ask for a variety in the colors you scrap in most, and it could work! for very little cash

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean

Holly your cards are just breathtaking! Absolutely gorgeous.

The bottom photo - is there a name for that nestie? I don't have a machine, but I may need that nestie for when I have a machine of some kind. I love it!

kelseymel
Idol
kelseymel
In response to Henri Jean

It's a good thing Holly is such a nice person, otherwise I would hate her for enabling me the way she does.

Nesties are my favorite thing to collect.

Have you seen the new Tags and Flags ?

madmatter
Diva
madmatter
In response to kelseymel

Melissa, you get a BIG assist on the enabling too

I have many more sets because of your ... um ... persuasion

and the bitty blossoms die is on the top of my wish list now

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly

Henri, I'm not sure which nestie you mean???

The rectangles with the lacy edges is Romantic Rectangles,,,,,,,,

the smaller rose was made with the spiral blossom 1.

And the larger rose was a spiral blossom one nestled inside 2 of the largest layers on the Rose Creations.

Hope that helps! And thank you for the compliment,,,,,,really, it's the dies!they are so pretty and so easy to make!

different view By CommaHolly

that's the pic you're talking about, right??

Edited by CommaHolly on 04-15-12 07:29 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean

Oh Holly - I love it all and want it all, but the Romantic Rectangles is the one I was talking about.

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly

• Henri Jean Said:
Oh Holly - I love it all and want it all, but the Romantic Rectangles is the one I was talking about.

Oh then, Henri, you will love them,,,,,,,and these too! They are two of the newest nesties!

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly

Not that I am enabling or anything,,,,,,,,

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to kelseymel

• kelseymel Said:
It's a good thing Holly is such a nice person, otherwise I would hate her for enabling me the way she does.

Nesties are my favorite thing to collect.

Have you seen the new Tags and Flags ?

I saw those,,,,I already have one under used set of flags though but they are cute!

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean

Those are gorgeous HOlly. Going now to put them in my Amazon basket!

madmatter
Diva
madmatter

and once again I say I hate (love ) you Holly ... (as I add 2 more sets to my wish list)

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to madmatter

love you too, Mad!!!!!

madmatter
Diva
madmatter

wish they had them on J's.com ... nesties are on sale this week and I would definitely pick up a few more sets at that price ... but alas ... no such luck

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to madmatter

they always have them on J's.com,,,,,what gives this time???

Ohio4HMom
Expert
Ohio4HMom

just put $360 worth of them in my wish list!

DARN YOU HOLLY!!!

pinkpaperairedale
Guru
pinkpaperairedale
In response to Ohio4HMom

I use nesties in my Cuttlebug. I always find them on J.com. Have you tried the search bar on their site? You might have to type in the word Spellbinders... not nestabilities. Enjoy whatever tools are in your "toolbox"!

madmatter
Diva
madmatter
In response to pinkpaperairedale

they have plenty of nesties on J's site and I've bought them there before ... they just don't the ones I'm looking for

jennkaun
Tenant
jennkaun
In response to madmatter

I wish I had some craft stores around here. I'll I have is a Walmart with a small section. Can't buy much unless I drive to Lethbridge where there's an M's.

Could be a good thing in the end though, I'm definitely spending less money than I could be. I really do want those nesties now!

Rhondatx
Expert
Rhondatx

Oh my goodness. I had never heard of nesties until this post. I am so new to scrapbooking but already really want a cricut of some sort....and now there are nesties. Goodness, this hobby is going to cost me. :-)

mrsdriver5
Diva
mrsdriver5
In response to Rhondatx

It's a very subtle addiction. You buy a couple pieces of pretty paper on sale at Mike's when it's 6/$1. Throw a little adhesive runner in your cart. You have multiple pairs of scissors at home. What else could you possibly need? Don't ask...you'll soon realize you want NEED it all!

Rhondatx
Expert
Rhondatx
In response to mrsdriver5

• mrsdriver5 Said:
It's a very subtle addiction. You buy a couple pieces of pretty paper on sale at Mike's when it's 6/$1. Throw a little adhesive runner in your cart. You have multiple pairs of scissors at home. What else could you possibly need? Don't ask...you'll soon realize you want NEED it all!

You are so right. I live in a small town that does not have a Michael's, or anything like it even, so thank goodness for online!

jennkaun
Tenant
jennkaun
In response to Rhondatx

This is definitely an addictive hobby, although I think I spend way more time shopping and looking online for stuff I want rather than actually using it!

mrsdriver5
Diva
mrsdriver5
In response to Rhondatx

It might be cheaper for your addiction, if you have the willpower to not check-out as soon as you fill your virtual shopping cart. Think about it...add a few more things...add a couple more things...take one thing out, so of course that means you can add a few more things, but then decide if you're really doing the right thing.

I have a J's and 3 Michaels within easy driving, plus a couple of LSS that I know about. Unfortunately Fortunately the closest Hobby is about 60+ miles away. Between hubby and me, we make good use out of the Mike's coupons, running from store to store and each going through the check-out separately. We save lots of money...and of course, spend a lot of money! But since I've saved so much with coupons, I figure then I can afford to place a couple of online orders too~ Yep, my name is Judy and I am an addict

Now I just need to figure out how to use all the things I've bought. Heroin users at least know what to do with their stash! I just stash my stash.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean

I tend to collect scrap supplies. And then when I'm not looking they multiply.

Tenant

Lol, i thought that only happened to me!

kaye222
Governor
kaye222

I love them too! I also own a cricut and I love it for some things...especially basic shapes. I never really thought I would want spellbinders at the time....but let me tell you...they are addicting and are very beautiful!

ClaireP
New Kid On the Block
ClaireP
In response to jennkaun

When I ask the following question, please bear in mind that I am new to scrapbooking. I've just completed the 4th page of my first project (on my gallery page) and have recently purchased a Cuttlebug and the Cricut Mini (though I haven't used it yet).

Sooo, my question is:

What are *nesties*??

Here Kitty
Mayor
Here Kitty
In response to ClaireP

Spellbinder Nestabilities dies.
Products Referenced in This Post:

ClaireP
New Kid On the Block
ClaireP

Thank you, Here Kitty, for posting these! Now I know what they are and remember having seen some of them at M's.... now my question is, can these Spellbinder templates/cartridges be used in the Cricut and/or Cuttlebug machines?

Thanks again!

Here Kitty
Mayor
Here Kitty
In response to ClaireP

They're dies, so they can't work in the Cricut. They do work in the Cuttlebug, however. If you look at the Spellbinders website, you will find all the compatibility information and the sandwiches you need to use.

mrsdriver5
Diva
mrsdriver5
In response to ClaireP

Nesties and most all of the other dies, except for those larger than 6" wide, can be used with the cuttlebug. The 'bug manual shows how to do the plates for various dies. For thin dies you'll need to purchase the C plate separately, but it's easily found online or some people use other items. I'm lazy...I bought the C plate. There are also 6"x13" A, B, & C plates available for cutting/embossing longer items.

Nesties won't work in the cricut. It's a cartridge and/or software die-cutter.

madmatter
Diva
madmatter

I use my Nesties in a Cuttlebug ... the instructions tell you how to make the "sandwich" to cut them properly. You will need a tan embossing mat to emboss the image after you cut it ... I bought a set at HL, but I think you can find them at any of the big box stores.

jennkaun
Tenant
jennkaun
In response to madmatter

So I've decided to ask for these for Christmas this year, but which machine is the way to go? I'm thinking I would want one bigger than the cuttlebug. Just in case I need to do something bigger. So I've read a bit about the grand caliber and the big shot. Any opinions on which is better?

Here Kitty
Mayor
Here Kitty
In response to jennkaun

• jennkaun Said:
So I've decided to ask for these for Christmas this year, but which machine is the way to go? I'm thinking I would want one bigger than the cuttlebug. Just in case I need to do something bigger. So I've read a bit about the grand caliber and the big shot. Any opinions on which is better?

Depends - some people love the Grand Calibur and some love the Big Shot Pro (the regular Big Shot is not as big). The Pro takes more kinds of dies, but IMO, the Grand Calibur embosses the Spellbinders dies the best of any machine. It's also a LOT cheaper. I have the Grand Calibur and use it constantly.

Edited by Here Kitty on 07-19-12 02:29 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

madmatter
Diva
madmatter

Grand Calibur

pros: will cut the Grand Nesties, no complicated sandwiches for the thin dies, seems to give the best embossed image

cons: will NOT cut thicker dies (like the Tim Holtz ones)

Big Shot Pro

pros: will cut the thicker dies

cons: will NOT cut the largest 2 or 3 sizes of the Grand Nestabilities sets

It's really a matter of which is a higher priority for you and what you want to use the machine for most

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 07-30-12 05:52 PM
In response to madmatter

madmatter - the Big Shot PRO will cut ALL the Nesties, including the Grands. The regular Big Shot is narrower and won't cut the largest ones.

I'd really like to see an up-close-and-personal example of the GC embossing ... or maybe not, lol, I'm pretty happy with my regular Big Shot, I don't need another machine. I'm also interested in the new Craftwell eBosser, waiting to see some real reviews of it.

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to stick

the big shot pro is also EXTREMELY expensive.

I use the Grand Calibur to cut all my nesties,,,,,and the plain ol' big shot to cut the few thicker dies I have,,,,,,,,that's rare,,,,I tend to cut nesties exclusively.

jennkaun
Tenant
jennkaun

Hmm sounds like I need to do some researching so I don't end up wanting a different one when I do get one.
What do you all mean by thicker dies? I'm not super familiar with how they work yet since I don't have any.

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 07-31-12 12:24 PM
In response to jennkaun

The majority of dies on the market are thin, only a few millimeters thick - Spellbinders, QuicKutz, CottageCutz, Memory Box, Cheery Lynn, My Favorite Things, etc. etc.

However Sizzix has many dies that are about half or 3/4 of an inch thick - these are their Bigz and Originals lines. Thing is - a lot of the Tim Holtz dies are Bigz I've also got a couple of discontinued Originals dies (you can often find dc'd ones on ebay) that I adore so there's no way I'd give up my Big Shot.

charsuse  carolls creations
Resident
charsuse  carolls creations
In response to stick

Nesties are nice to have but with a little creativity you can make do until you want to spend the money to invest on them. You still can have lot's of fun and make beautiful things without them. Lot's of luck and enjoy your crafting.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics