Username Post: Sandy's on her way        (Topic#1582111)
madmatter
Diva
madmatter

To all my fellow East Coasters ...

bracing for Sandy to hit here in the NY suburbs ... hope all of you stay safe

please check in when you can

Fargomutt
Expert
Fargomutt
In response to madmatter

the last i heard is that its coming straight for the Maryland area. im just north of baltimore!

Hang tight everyone!!!

madmatter
Diva
madmatter
In response to Fargomutt

good luck Nancy ... and stay safe

siameseplease
Angel
siameseplease
In response to madmatter

Nancy, I'm just south of Baltimore. I have yanked everything out of my yard and put it in my basement, in hopes of alleviating some flying missiles!

Good luck to everyone; I'm hoping Sandy isn't too mean to us!

GMFTS
GMFTS 
Governor
GMFTS
  • GMFTS on 10-28-12 02:14 PM
In response to siameseplease

I think Mother Nature is really upset with someone in my family: I have folks in W Va, MD, CT and then my son & dil were evacuated last night because of the tsunami in HI.

I am hoping that the East Coast is as fortunate as he was - just some inconvenience and nothing worse.

Be safe my friends.

Unique scrapper
Veteran
Unique scrapper
In response to madmatter

what part of NY are you in? I am in northeastern NJ about 20 miles from NYC visa Lincoln Tunnel. Just hoping that the scraproom stays dry!

SmartyPants
Diva
SmartyPants
In response to Unique scrapper

Hope you all are safe - I grew up just outside of DC in Maryland. Now I'm in NC. I know that everyone is bracing for the storm. Many family and friends still there and they have been preparing for the worst. I know that many of the schools there have already shut down for the next few days. I hope that they storm weakens and isn't as damaging as expected!! Good luck everyone and be safe!!

scraprabbit
Queen
scraprabbit
In response to SmartyPants

Been thinking of all of you out that way! Stay safe!

ScrappyMama6
Mayor
ScrappyMama6
In response to scraprabbit

We are as prepared as we can be and its probably still not enuf....on the MD/PA line here in Gettysburg. Schools are closed, state of emergency already declared for PA.

All the East coast gals, stay safe and check in when you can!

everyone!

shortmouse
Veteran
shortmouse
In response to ScrappyMama6

Will be praying for all in her path....stay safe, warm and dry.

Fargomutt
Expert
Fargomutt
In response to shortmouse

same here Gina. just wish the neighbors would!! They have siding in piles behind their shed which connects to my back yard!

Its not been too bad YET. just rain and a little wind blowing. im thinking the worse is set to land about 10am.

Fargomutt
Expert
Fargomutt
In response to Fargomutt

Smartypants: what part of Maryland? i used to live in Gaithersburg/Laytonsville for most of my life! just moved up to Edgewood about 12 years ago!

siameseplease
Angel
siameseplease
In response to Fargomutt

Teresa, I just got home from Gettysburg. We camp at the Gettysburg Campground every year for Halloween. We came home early due to Sandy. While I was out there, I went to that awesome stamp store near Littlestown and also to Forevermore Scrapbooks.

Nancy, I always worry about the house behind me. He has a privacy fence that is not looking too stable, as well as some big trees. I hope your neighbor's siding doesn't end up doing damage to your property!

AZGIRL
Expert
AZGIRL

I am praying for all you. Stay safe.

moxiegirl23
Queen
moxiegirl23
In response to AZGIRL

Gee whiz! Earthquake last week, hurricane this week! I just need to fill the water jugs and bathtub and find the box of wind up flashlights. I've got a beef stew in the crockpot right now and I'm contemplating making a couple of other meals.

boysmom
Idol
boysmom

Where are you Unique Scrapper? I'm also in NJ, in Westfield so not far from you I guess. So far, all we have is a lot of wind and rain. We're in a lull now. Everything is cancelled and the roads are closed, I think this is looking like family game day.

Stay safe everyeone!

madmatter
Diva
madmatter
In response to boysmom

everything is closed here ... schools, malls, public transportation

no real rain yet, but the wind has picked up big time

Where in NJ are you in UniqueScrapper? I'm in Rockland County, NY, about 30 minutes NW of NYC, but I work in Paramus, NJ ... even that shopping mecca of the Northeast has closed for the day

foltzy
foltzy 
Governor
foltzy
In response to madmatter

We have rain and the wind has picked up. They canceled all schools around here last night for today and tomorrow. It's just going to get worse.

Please everyone stay safe and don't go out unles you have to.

madmatter
Diva
madmatter
In response to foltzy

My oldest goes to college in Manhattan, and they just emailed that they're closed again tomorrow.

No word yet on work or the local schools

madmatter
Diva
madmatter
In response to madmatter

local schools closed again tomorrow ... no word from work yet, but I'm supposed to have off tomorrow anyway

still no real rain, and the wind is not as bad as I thought it would be, but it's just supposed to start hitting now

they have closed almost ALL the bridges over the Hudson and East Rivers ... guess we're not going anywhere for a while

moxiegirl23
Queen
moxiegirl23
In response to madmatter

We have heavier rain but no wind here in NH right now. Power is out in many areas, but they haven't started cancelling school for tomorrow yet.

siameseplease
Angel
siameseplease
In response to moxiegirl23

Schools are cancelled in my area, as is public transport and some roads that have flooded. I am off of work tomorrow, as well. According to the news, the worst should be hitting us about now. I can hear some serious wind out there and the rain is pouring down. Winds around here (in the Baltimore Annapolis corridor) are supposedly going to reach 85 mph gusts. They expect the worst of it to pass by tomorrow morning.

madmatter
Diva
madmatter

the wind is absolutely crazy here right now ... trees and branches are down everywhere and we seem to be one of the only streets that still has power

Expert
In response to madmatter

Here in Northern Va...there has been some damage more to the coast. So far we still have power and I am staying inside. The winds pick up here and there. So far, all is good. As long as we don't lose power, I think I can handle it.

GMFTS
GMFTS 
Governor
GMFTS
  • GMFTS on 10-30-12 03:21 AM
In response to deedee49

Well it's the morning after - at least for most of the East Coast but now Western PA, Western NY and even OH as well as ME and eastern provinces of Canada are due for it.

What a nightmare this has been for so many.

Hoping all of you are safe and sound.

kelseymel
Idol
kelseymel
In response to GMFTS

Thinking of you all - stay safe.

Fargomutt
Expert
Fargomutt
In response to kelseymel

I am just north of Baltimore and we are intact. no damage in or around our yard! Hubby is out trying to find a place for breakfast. We only had a few seconds of power outages all during the night.

Hope everyone else is safe and sound!

ScrappyMama6
Mayor
ScrappyMama6
In response to Fargomutt

We're safe and sound in PA this am....kept power all night.
Still windy and raining, calling for it to get snowy when the temp drops....

Glad everyone is safe.......thinking of our upper Eastern friends today......

siameseplease
Angel
siameseplease
In response to ScrappyMama6

I've got power. The only issue I had was some water in my basement, but nothing major. My brother's family lost power, though. They stayed with me last night and are still here. No estimate yet on when they'll get it back. It could have been so much worse, though, so we feel blessed. A friend in NJ lost power and their estimate for restoring it is 10 days!

GMFTS
GMFTS 
Governor
GMFTS
  • GMFTS on 10-30-12 12:43 PM

MY dgks are in W VA but didn't get the blizzard - how I don't know but am very glad.

My brother in CT is without power indefinitely.

Thoughts with those in those terribly hard hit areas.

madmatter
Diva
madmatter
In response to GMFTS

wow ... that was a storm the likes of which I hope I never have to live through again ... we are fine, finally got power back ... the greater NY area has been devastated and many are still without power ... school's been closed all week and will hopefully reopen on Monday ... I feel lucky that we came away as easily as we did

PDRNC
PDRNC 
Idol
PDRNC
  • PDRNC on 11-02-12 05:49 AM
In response to madmatter

I'm in Staten Island, NY and just got power back last night. Friends of ours lost everything, but are still counting their blessings that they are alive. I can't complain. My only loss was some food. Impossible to get gas here unless you want to wait on line for six hours. Even then, there's no guarantee that there will be gas left by the time you get up there.

Hope everyone continues to stay safe.

Anyone see Henri Jean on the boards? I know she was on a cruise that was going into Brooklyn this week. Hope she's okay.

madmatter
Diva
madmatter
In response to PDRNC

did anyone watch the benefit concert tonight?

NMlady
NMlady 
Governor
NMlady
In response to madmatter

Henri Jean is doing fine, the cruise stayed up around Canada for the most part.

Unique scrapper
Veteran
Unique scrapper
In response to madmatter

ah. finally home again from Ct. I am in Essex county but my DS and her family live in Nanuet.

madmatter
Diva
madmatter

I live maybe 10 minutes from Nanuet

School is finally reopening tomorrow, but some districts aren't reopening til Wednesday ... Tuesday was supposed to be off for a superintendent's conference, but it will now be a school day (they are trying to make up days wherever they can)

I still have a number of friends without power (my sister got hers back this morning) and have absolutely no idea how my oldest will get into Manhattan for college (supposedly resuming on Wednesday) because the path train is still down

on the plus side, gas lines have shortened (at least where I am) ... I only waited about 20 minutes yesterday

PDRNC
PDRNC 
Idol
PDRNC
  • PDRNC on 11-05-12 06:44 AM
In response to madmatter

Sad that we feel that waiting 20 minutes for gas is a good thing. The lines here are still blocks long and start before the gas station is even open. Glad to hear it's getting better by you, Mad.

madmatter
Diva
madmatter
In response to PDRNC

I know Staten Island is still a mess ... Have schools reopened there?

PDRNC
PDRNC 
Idol
PDRNC
  • PDRNC on 11-05-12 07:51 AM
In response to madmatter

There are a few schools that have not reopened, but those children were redirected to other schools. It seems like one grade was redirected to one school, next grade to another, and so on. Still such a disaster here.

950nancy
Diva
950nancy
In response to PDRNC

Will the kids have to make up those days, or will it be called as an emergency? Just wondering. We have only missed about 7 days of school in the last 20 years here.

madmatter
Diva
madmatter
In response to 950nancy

they are still unclear about it Nancy ...

right now it looks like the days will have to be made up somewhere (eliminating part/all of Spring break, or perhaps lengthening the school year), but it is only November. If any snow days are needed for actual snow, they may have to figure something else out. If, like last year, we don't really get any snow, we will be fine.

happy2Bscrapper
Idol
happy2Bscrapper
In response to madmatter

I am from the Jersey Shore- about 2 miles in from the Ocean. My family did well ( my brother has a tree fall on his car and another fall on his garage roof) but many of my work and Church families lost their homes or are cleaning up flooded first floors. I work in Social Services and we are trying to find places for people that are in temporary shelters. It is devastating. At one time I lived in Sea Bright . It is devastating to see what has become of Sea Bright and the other beach towns.

madmatter
Diva
madmatter
In response to happy2Bscrapper

Sandy's gone, but the Nor'easter is now pounding the area ... a bunch of neighborhoods nearby are without power again, after just getting it back, and it took me 5 hours to go round trip into the city tonight, a trip that should take maybe 2-2 1/2 hours under normal circumstances

I can't believe it's still only the beginning of November ... oy

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics