Username Post: Embossing        (Topic#1576217)
CreativeDaisyDesigns
Resident
CreativeDaisyDesigns

I have a cricut and I have an sizzix. Was wondering what is everyone favorite embossing tool. I have scrapbooked for almost 10 years now but finally taking the time to learn how to emboss. Any advice on wet and dry is greatly appreciated.

bashfulscrapper
Idol
bashfulscrapper
In response to CreativeDaisyDesigns

I'm sure someone with more experience will chime in here soon, but since I'm here, I'll share what I've learned.

Dry embossing: I'm totally hooked on embossing folders. I've used Cuttlebugs and some by The Paper Studio, and they've all worked perfectly. I just have an old Big Red Sizzix. With the adaptor (the magnetic one you use for Sizzlets), it works beautifully, but they might be even easier with a Cuttlebug. I don't really have any suggestions - they're super easy to use, and I've gotten a perfect impression every time. They make great backgrounds on cards.

Wet embossing: completely different animal. You'll need embossing powder, a heat gun, and some good ink. I've definitely had the best luck with Versamark ink - it's much stickier than other inks. An anti-static pouch helps keep the powder just on the ink... but this does take a bit of practice to get it to look good. Or, at least it's taking a bit of practice for me. It's worth the effort, though - looks really nice when done right.

Good luck, and have fun embossing!

pinkpaperairedale
Guru
pinkpaperairedale
In response to bashfulscrapper

I am a huge fan of the Cuttlebug. It uses folders from many companies and is reasonably priced.

Edited by pinkpaperairedale on 05-11-12 02:51 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

scarlet864
Veteran
scarlet864
In response to pinkpaperairedale

Another vote for Cuttle bug here. I love the embossing folders and for a different look, you can rub your ink pad inside of the folder before you place your cardstock into it, and the embossed image will take on the color of the ink that you used.

For wet embossing, I have found that Versamark ink works the best. I'm a fan of Stampin' Up! and Zing embossing powders.

CreativeDaisyDesigns
Resident
CreativeDaisyDesigns
In response to scarlet864

Thanks! I will look into a Cuttlebug then too!

Here Kitty
Mayor
Here Kitty

Here's a thread that should be quite helpful
http://www.scrapbook.com/forums/showtopic.php?tid/15496...

pinkpaperairedale
Guru
pinkpaperairedale
In response to Here Kitty

Hope you enjoy whatever embossing system you get.

Edited by pinkpaperairedale on 05-11-12 02:50 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

pwiswell
Veteran
pwiswell
In response to pinkpaperairedale

I have the spellbinders grand calibur. I can use most folders with this machine.

CreativeDaisyDesigns
Resident
CreativeDaisyDesigns
In response to pwiswell

The Grand Calibur is nice but you can't use sizzix dies on it and I have quite of few of them too! Thanks

sweet1
sweet1 
Pro
sweet1

I use a Big Shot for my dry embossing and I can use almost all folders, plates, etc in it. I love it. The images are always really crisp. For wet embossing, I've used versmark, craft ink, and a zig two way glue pen! The trick is that you need something that will get the powder to stick where you want it. Once it sticks then all you need to do is heat it up for it to melt into the paper. I've drawn or written on paper with the Zig pen and then embossed for unique images. So fun. Stampin Up! has some cool colors of embossing powders and we also have two scented ones, vanilla and cherry, they emboss clear but you can get that "scratch and sniff" from them. Fun for kids cards, etc. Have fun embossing!

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics