Username Post: Cards for New Recruits and Deployed...        (Topic#1663225)
The Duchess of Sassy Town

Good grief, I was asked to join this online group on FB for Cards and Goody basket packages and pen pals for new recruits, and deployed sailors... well I posted after accepted, and posted about my history of needing cards and generous people came through and got a world of drama on my thread, guys saying that women shouldn't be in the Navy and that I should be home with my children (for which I have none and cannot have any) and that I was a Muslim loving traitor to my country, all kinds of things (they must have looked online at my profile and saw that I am friends with a muslim family... which I am, they are some of my best friends. But it was ridiculous. I left the group, now I've got some psycho woman messaging me on FB saying I have an obligation to write these letters.... well, they didn't issue me any sailors in the brief less than 4 hours I was a member. I am disgusted. That's one of the reasons I left this site six years ago was because of some drama llama who just made everything miserable for me on every thread I was in because I am friends with a gay couple and supported their then holy union. (Before LBGTQ marriage was legalized). If you don't agree with my views that's fine, we're all entitled to our opinions and beliefs, but don't threaten, harass or turn others against me because of it. I finally returned earlier this year and I am so thankful. This message board site has been nothing but friendly and full of love for all.

Anyhow, what I'm getting at is, I would still like to do something for our new military recruits as well as deployed that may not be getting any mail. I was blessed to have a grandmother that wrote me every day, and friends that sent me cards and letters. There are some that aren't so lucky, and feel the pang of loneliness during 'mail call' during boot/basic and during their time of service. Just a little hello card can make a huge difference. I'm going to make contacts with the Great Lakes Navy Recruit Ombudsban to see how I can arrange this. Unfortunately in these days and times we have to go through a lot of security because unfortunately, some people do not have the best of intentions when getting the names and addresses of our men and women serving our country. So if you have any ideas or connections, let me know, or if you would like to participate in this endeavor I would be delighted. Blessings.

flhomeschoolmom
Guru
flhomeschoolmom
In response to The Duchess of Sassy Town

Well, I don't know how you would go about getting all of this arranged. However, I do have a nephew who is in the Air Force along with his cousin. And, there is a boy who spent part of his adolescence with me (he was friends with another nephew who lived with us) and he is also in the Air Force and stationed in England.

scrapbookmonster
Guru
scrapbookmonster
In response to flhomeschoolmom

I have written to Canadian Forces Members from 2007 to the present and have got several replies from them.

The Duchess of Sassy Town
In response to scrapbookmonster

Ali, do you know if they get regular mail? I'm trying to target those who get little if any mail... good mail.

SBMonster (what is your irl name?).... anyhow, we can support servicepeople all over. Like I mentioned to Ali, I'm trying to support those who are getting little if any supportive mail while in boot or deployed, or at home. I served for 8 years, 4 active and 4 reserve. I remember how happy I was when I'd get that surprise goody box from my grandmother, or letters from David (before we were married, and this was before there was Skype and internet on the Nimitz and McKee, well any deployed ship or post). David and I spent a year apart, because he retired before my year of active duty was up. Our time together was precious. I had friends in boot camp who cried themselves to sleep because they didn't get any mail at mail call, at all.... it was heartbreaking. I hope to get in touch with those who have to power to find this out and provide information for us to mail them.

katiemylady
Diva
katiemylady
In response to The Duchess of Sassy Town

I'd be happy to participate if you can get it organized. I normally like to participate in Operation Christmas Cards for soldiers overseas but I haven't seen an update about it for this year yet. I know it's tough being away from home anywhere, especially if you're a new recruit. I remember not getting much mail at camp and it sucked for me even though I was at camp having fun and not training for the military lol

scrapwriter
Governor
scrapwriter
In response to katiemylady

I would like to have a couple names to send to as well. I love sending cards to people and especially for good cause.

I'm sorry to hear you were harassed in the past. Diversity and inclusion imho is acknowledging out differences but we come together for our commonalities.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics