Page 3 of 3 
Username Post: Book of Me - Ideas and Inspiration!        (Topic#1374780)
MommaSaid
Mayor
MommaSaid
In response to leeyn

• leeyn Said:
W" was about my weight and working out, "Y" was about being mistaken for someone younger, "C" was about my childhood.........

Discount Tory Burch SandalsDiscount Tory Burch SlippersDiscount Tory Burch Wallets

How odd....Someone wrote the exact same thing on the very first page.....

jaspernonyx
Pro
jaspernonyx
In response to Kalamela

I just finished a book of me called "The triumph of love: my first 40 years."

Tenant
In response to Kalamela

OMG! New here. Was thinking of starting a book of me but wasn't sure what to put in it. This thread is PERFECT! Now to get hubby to start taking pics of me. Is that wrong?

Tenant
In response to Scrappyfly28

I really really really love this idea.

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny
In response to ScrapBowlSew

Having now borrowed my mom's eyelet-setting tools, I've now completed the finishing touches on the Book of Me I started back during National Scrapbooking Week. Yay me!

New Kid On the Block
In response to aquabunny

Oh nice topic!!! Lots of ideas!!!

Mishay36
Pro
Mishay36
In response to Kalamela

I have to do this! Great idea!

New Mummy
Guru
New Mummy
In response to Mishay36

Just wondering if anyone has even made or is making a BOM for someone else as a gift? My dad is turning 70 next year and I thought it would be a great gift, especially as he's all into researching the family tree. But I have no idea where to start, 70 years is a lot of years to try and scrap plus i have 3 little kids and another on the way so haven't got much time for scrapbooking, i need something simple. Has anyone ever tried digital? Where can I get ideas and what's the best way to gether information from my dad?

GentlewoodFarms
Governor
GentlewoodFarms
In response to New Mummy

That's a lot of years to track....

I'd start at the beginning with the earliest photos you can get your hands on.

I'd keep the book small format probably 8x8 instead of 12x12 so that it stays manageable.

I'd probably not worry too much about getting EVERYTHING in there, just the high points.

1. Baby
2. Early School Years
3. High School Graduation
4. First Occupation
5. Married Mom
6. Family Man
7. The Dad I Remember
8. Giving Me Away at My Wedding
9. Grandpa
10. Retired
11. Daddy Today

I'd probably include any particular milestones that you know need to be in YOUR particular book...

Good luck. That's a huge project. I finished one for my mom and my dad both. Feel free to go through my gallery - most of them are in there.

Monique_McCoy
Idol
Monique_McCoy
In response to GentlewoodFarms

thanks for all the great ideas!!

pwiswell
Veteran
pwiswell
In response to Monique_McCoy

I just finished a scrapbook as a high school graduation gift for my niece. It is one to use during her college years. I found it really difficult to put pages together without pictures, but after I got going on it it wasn't bad. It came out really good. I sure hope she likes it.

davidsm8
New Kid On the Block
davidsm8
In response to ScrapBowlSew

Not wrong at all, though in scrapbooking we (or is it just me?) tend to use older photos, taking new ones are fine, they can be used now and you'll have more materials for future scrapbooks.

davidsm8
New Kid On the Block
davidsm8
In response to Megan - ForumTech

Prepare different pieces of paper (inchies?) and write any blessings you receive in them and keep them in a jar. Open it up when there are many and incorporate them in a scrapbook: "Life's Little Blessings"

Resident
In response to davidsm8

omg !!! just this week, i thought "hey i should do a BOM...yeah" i think about it a while and think, hmmm don't really know what to put in it..shouldn't need a big album...i know, i'll make a mini manilla folder album like i seen on youtube.......after reading just a part of this thread, i'd need to do about 50 mini manilla folder albums just to fit in some of the great idea's i've read in here !!! lol

Monique_McCoy
Idol
Monique_McCoy
In response to Kalamela

got some great ideas from page 1, thanks!

Diva
In response to Kalamela

Great ideas! Thank you so much!

Besneys
Guru
Besneys
In response to Kalamela

I did a life book for my parents they've been married 60yrs last September so I collected all photos etc that I could find of their lives before they met I also included a short family tree just three generations back and of course forward and put about Dads army service records . I the put pictures of myself and brother as babies and the hols we took but I mostly put pix of Mum and Dad on holiday. The last hol pic I've put in was of them in Mexico a couple of yers ago, I also included both their 80th birthday photos. Of course I included the Card from the Queen on their 60th anniversary. They loved it and so did my brothers family and of course my family who helped with finding the photos. My girls even wrote a letter to them about how they remembered little things from their childhoods with them.
It was easier to do it for them as my Mum had a thing for photos and collected all their memories so it was just up to me to collate it x

julie101
Diva
julie101
In response to Kalamela

Great thread I thought about starting one but wasnt sure where to start or what to put in it I might give this ago 2014 as 2013 already filled with projects lol

mindygail
Expert
mindygail
In response to julie101

I started a HOLIDAY BOOK and began with Halloween to this christmas to valentienes day and soon easter. I am writing a section of each page down to who, what, when, where, etc. so far so good. Sadly I am in NEED of projects and have little supplies but HOLY MOLY THANK GOD 0--- My wonderful man (bf dd to be) gave me for my christmas eve bday and christmas a cricut expression two and my MOM bought me a big shot so i am all set to start up any darn project i can!!!!!!!

mindygail
Expert
mindygail
In response to mindygail

SUGGESTIONS on what to make with all that????

mindygail
Expert
mindygail
In response to Kalamela

wow i stand amazed

Wendy L
Expert
Wendy L
In response to mindygail

I made a BOM for each of my children when they reached 10 yrs of age. Rather than a year by year album, I found it easier to have these catagories: baby / early years; family / extended family; home and area that we live; personality; friends; kindy & school; extracurricular activities; favourite things & activities; health; family excursions; holidays; celebrations & traditions; random photos; hopes & dreams for the future.

GentlewoodFarms
Governor
GentlewoodFarms
In response to mindygail

There is a Book Of Me forum in the Challenges section. It just started last month and has quite a few players.

It's lots of fun, and it's a good way to get your project going to play with other people who are working on the same goal.

Here's the link for this month's challenge if you're interested.

http://www.scrapbook.com/forums/showtopic.php?tid/15845...

Diva
In response to GentlewoodFarms

I have never made a BOM. WHere can I see some examples of how they look?

GentlewoodFarms
Governor
GentlewoodFarms
In response to bayamonesa1

A book of me isn't so much about how it looks as what's in it. It's just an album devoted to YOU instead of your kids, or your family, or the other millions of things we document besides ourselves.

There's a current challenge running in the Challenges section, hosted by Char, that's a BOM ongoing project. You could look at some projects there.

KAR49
KAR49 
Tenant
KAR49
  • KAR49 on 05-24-13 10:30 AM

I too am starting to gather my thoughts and create pages without photos, that help to tell my story. I would leave this to my children so that someday they might share it and pass it on.

I have scrapped all of my photos, children's vintage, family, etd. All of these contain photos and my daughter will want most of them except my son's album.

So The Story of Me needs to be told with journals and the page itself. The journals will be typed on vellum.

I would greatly accept any ideas. I want each page to be beautiful.....going more for quality than quantity

Thanks everyone,
KAR49 (Kathy)

PAMemoryKeeper
Tenant
PAMemoryKeeper
In response to KAR49

I have thought about this project for a while now and think I have settled on the title "Getting to Know Me from A to Z" This will be a project I start in the fall. Although I don't have children, my husband and I have helped to raise my niece and I hope to pass it along to her.

mindygail
Expert
mindygail
In response to Kalamela

amazing ideas I am in the middle of a book about me and idk how to make the small pages look good??
PLUS I am considering making a year long book of my kids and me and my hubby and giving it to friends?
IDEAS please....

RedSquirrel UK
Diva
RedSquirrel UK
In response to mindygail

• mindygail Said:
amazing ideas I am in the middle of a book about me and idk how to make the small pages look good??
PLUS I am considering making a year long book of my kids and me and my hubby and giving it to friends?
IDEAS please....

You'd be better off starting a new thread in GS for that. Also, have you searched the Gallery for mini albums? There are oodles of gorgeous ones in there.

scrapperb2
Mayor
scrapperb2
In response to RedSquirrel UK

I completed an 8x8 hand made mini album about myself. On the cover is the only photo in the whole album. I have several pages in this album on my thoughts, what makes me happy, etc. I really enjoyed making this one I plan to start another when the summer comes to a close. I didn't realize how my feelings and thoughts will be for my children to know me in my heart that I don't express. I am excited to start the project and it is fun as you get to connect with yourself. Good Luck

KAR49
KAR49 
Tenant
KAR49
  • KAR49 on 07-21-13 07:52 AM
In response to PAMemoryKeeper

I am definitely way off from deciding on a title. I'm doing a 12 X 12, with no photos, except the cover page. I'm hoping the journaling and scrapping will be able to "tell my story". My problem is journalling. I tend to be verbose and keeping it short is always difficult. I'm starting off using vellum, but need to scale it down. Probably I need to scale down what I am writing....definitely the most daunting scrapbooking I have tried to accomplish......ANY suggestions or links to LO would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

KAR49
KAR49 
Tenant
KAR49
  • KAR49 on 08-24-13 07:11 AM
In response to Kalamela

Thanks so much everyone for all of your wonderful ideas............I think I have enough info for about 12 12X12 books.........and that's with NO photos.......I wanted this all to be done with journals..........actually ALL (read everyone) of my photos has now been scrapped..........will admit to throwing away so many duplicates. Why did I think it was a good idea to take 20 photos of my son blowing out his candles at his first birthday party!!!

Thanks, again,
Kathy

dena magyar
Tenant
dena magyar
In response to Kalamela

I have been thinking about this for so long and these ideas are awesome! I have saved every business card from every job I have had so I am going to include a career timeline - the cards show promotions through title changes. It is only one piece but the only piece I have figured out!

New Kid On the Block
In response to gg loves Matthew

now..this is awesome..going to look into doing one for me thanks for the great ideas

QweenGeorgie
New Kid On the Block
QweenGeorgie

I created a book of me which consisted of old photos that I had lying around from when I was born until the age of 18 just before I headed off to college.

- It included notes and messages from friends I had saved during school.
- A page of baby photos of me, including the date I was born and how much I weighed etc.
- I dedicated a page to my parents and then one to my sister.
- As well as having a separate page for my Mum with the title 'brave' due to her struggles in life.
- And of course a page for my grandparents.
- Some trips I took with my best friend (Paris and Greece).
- Then a separate page of photos for each best friend which totalled up to 5.
- And then another of group photos of me and my friends.
- A photo dedicated to my school days.
- And another 2 pages for my leaving proms.
- One dedicated to my beautiful puppy.
- Another to my first love. I chose to do this because even if we do break up, he's been a huge part of me growing up.
- One of my 18th birthday.
- And 'leavers day' end of school.
- Last but not least, a holiday me and my girlfriends took before we all left for college the following term.

I hope this helps when it comes to grouping some images you may have lying around or want to store.

Sunnydi
Queen
Sunnydi
In response to QweenGeorgie

I like the way you did your book. I'm starting two this winter for my adult children and will use some of your ideas

suebird
Expert
suebird
In response to Sunnydi

I haven't gotten around to starting a BOM yet. Have seriously thought of a few pages entitled 'What Was I Thinking?!', though.

flhomeschoolmom
Guru
flhomeschoolmom
In response to suebird

I am working on 2 of them. One is of me from birth until I met my husband. The reason for this one is to replace 3 scrapbooks of my early and school years that got destroyed in a house fire in 2001. The other one is my junk journal. This one is a 3 ring binder filled with traditional journal entries, "art" pages, scrapbook challenges I participate in that don't fit with my family albums, or my boys memory books.

Page 3 of 3 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics