Page 1 of 5 
Username Post: Crop pet peeves?        (Topic#1380761)
petergabrielfan
Queen
petergabrielfan

I was a dummy the first time and posted this in the "new users" section. Duh! Let's try again:

Hi fellow scrapbookers-

Some friends and I were talking today about stuff that happens at crops that makes us nutty. Anything you'd like to share? Here are a couple of mine:

1. People who overtake your crop space without asking till you're crowded into a corner.
2. People who walk by and stare at your lo, then offer some sort of unsolicited comment ("You used stickers? I hate stickers").

foofee
foofee 
Guru
foofee
In response to petergabrielfan

PEOPLE who actrually look through my tote without asking!!!!

~Chere~
Diva
~Chere~

HaHa, this is funny!!! One of my friends has threatened to design some masking tape that looks like barbwire and tape a line so nobody crosses into her space!!!!

Oh man, I could put some doosey's on here but will refrain and remain friendly! Although I may PM you just so you can have a laugh!

petergabrielfan
Queen
petergabrielfan
In response to foofee

• foofee Said:
PEOPLE who actrually look through my tote without asking!!!!

I was going to mention that one too, but I didn't know if I was the only one. What IS it with that?? To me that's like going through someone's purse...private property!

foofee
foofee 
Guru
foofee

I Know!!!! Exactly! Who do they think they are?

petergabrielfan
Queen
petergabrielfan
In response to foofee

• foofee Said:
I Know!!!! Exactly! Who do they think they are?

What really bugs me is that I don't take a purse to crops, just my tote so my wallet is in there. If it's a friend, I don't care if they get in my bag, but a stranger??

Diva Scraps
Idol
Diva Scraps

strangers actually go through your bag?? I'd say HELLO...MITTS OFF MY STUFF!! lol

I've only been to 2 crops so far, and I don't really have any pet peeves...but I am going to an all weekend crop next month and if some stranger starts pawing through my personal items I will be the first one to make sure something is said to them. There are boundaries, and the is extensively crossing one of them!

Judes4
Judes4 
Veteran
Judes4
In response to Diva Scraps

People who air they dirty laundry so everyone has to hear it.

liveandBIKN2
Governor
liveandBIKN2
In response to Judes4

Oh man, I'm going to my very first one this weekend and you guys are scaring the crop out of me. I don't even know these people and that scares me even more. THANKS

buzzkiss
Governor
buzzkiss
In response to liveandBIKN2

• liveandkikn2 Said:
Oh man, I'm going to my very first one this weekend and you guys are scaring the crop out of me. I don't even know these people and that scares me even more. THANKS

As long as your not one of THOSE people you should be fine. Just keep an eye on your tools. Oh and have fun

BichonScrapper
Veteran
BichonScrapper

People borrowing things and not returning them.
People talking loudly about dying pets/relatives.
I'm not insensitive but I don't go to crops to cry and I have also lost loved ones recently.

Tia aka ScrappyNurse
Pro
Tia aka ScrappyNurse
In response to BichonScrapper

People who steal your chair & then ask to borrow you adhesives & other items. Then complain about everything & you had met them before!

luvbuglane
Veteran
luvbuglane
In response to Tia aka ScrappyNurse

1. Carpooling to the event and then your ride wants to leave before you do.
2. People who criticize your scrap style. I say the only rule in Scrapping is 'There is no wrong way to Scrap'
3. Trying to get all your totes/supplies to your seat and then back out to the car again. lol

Evenight001
Veteran
Evenight001
In response to luvbuglane

• luvbuglane Said:

2. People who criticize your scrap style. I say the only rule in Scrapping is 'There is no wrong way to Scrap'

• Judes4 Said:

Did you guys go to the same crop I went to. Because it is starting to sound like it.

I had a crop a few weeks ago and out of 8 people there was ONE.

She complained it was too cold, to loud, to quite, why didn't I have boy embellishement (because I have 2 girls). She doesn't use diecut machines and all that mess. That contraband was being used because we did not use CM items-We are not a CM hosted crop, some people use CM stuff, some do not-your personal choice.

Then she started getting into her personal buisness. I cut her off rather quickly (which probably seemed really rude to the people who did not know her). She is really nice, but doesn't have a filter on her mouth and I really did want the her about how many times her and her hubby had relations that week.

The next day I called her and I told her "Although we want this to be a fun and relaxed environment. I need you to respect me as the host, your cropmates because this may be their one luxury or their only time away from their families and they are choosing to spend it with us and most of all repect yourself, its called personal buisness for a reason"

She did not talk to me for a few days, and I felt bad, but I did not want it to continue and get worse the more we cropped.

fefelants
Governor
fefelants
In response to Evenight001

People who have drinks at the table!! Our crop area at the LSS is 4 tables blocked together and there are 3 sets of those. Hello!!!! THe lady in front of me has a bottle of soda in front of her. She went to reach for it while looking at her layout and knocked it over. I jumped quick and flung my stuff off the table and she was like "Opps, my bad." Hello - YEAH!! Make a point NOT to sit near her!!

Also, complainers. They have to complain and whine about EVERYTHING. Whah! The computer wasn't turned on yet (we walked in the door as they were opening and she plopped RIGHT down at the computer). Whah! You don't have the sizzix die or QuicKutz die I need. Whah! she's hammering too loud. Complain - I can get this cheaper at Michaels. I can get that cheaper at AC Moore. Oh I SO wanted to say then go get some. Finally one of the ladies said "this is a small shop - not a national chain store and what do you expect for $2 crop time!!??!!" And YES! this was all from ONE person!!!! There was actually a sigh of relief after that lady spoke up.

Sunnydi
Queen
Sunnydi
In response to Evenight001

• Evenight001 Said:
  • luvbuglane Said:

• Judes4 Said:

Did you guys go to the same crop I went to. Because it is starting to sound like it.

I had a crop a few weeks ago and out of 8 people there was ONE.

She complained it was too cold, to loud, to quite, why didn't I have boy embellishement (because I have 2 girls). She doesn't use diecut machines and all that mess. That contraband was being used because we did not use CM items-We are not a CM hosted crop, some people use CM stuff, some do not-your personal choice.

Then she started getting into her personal buisness. I cut her off rather quickly (which probably seemed really rude to the people who did not know her). She is really nice, but doesn't have a filter on her mouth and I really did want the her about how many times her and her hubby had relations that week.

The next day I called her and I told her "Although we want this to be a fun and relaxed environment. I need you to respect me as the host, your cropmates because this may be their one luxury or their only time away from their families and they are choosing to spend it with us and most of all repect yourself, its called personal buisness for a reason"

She did not talk to me for a few days, and I felt bad, but I did not want it to continue and get worse the more we cropped.

Good for you for tackling the problem immed. This bring to mind: Why don't hostesses create 'rules of etiquette' for crops. It's obvious some people don't have restraint or manners. Maybe people going to a crop should ask the hostess/host to create 'rules' to be distributed to all attendees...even prior to the event by email. If everyone is getting a copy there could be no feelings of being picked on. I think I'm going to put a "Private Property" sign on my tote when start going to crops....

petergabrielfan
Queen
petergabrielfan
In response to fefelants

Wow, I thought I was the only one! Crops are so fun but some of the people are just horrible. We went to one LSS crop where a woman brought her 3 year old and infant. I felt sorry for the owner because she didn't want to tell this lady that for some of us it's our only time away from kids. That being said, the lady had never even been in the store before, so it wasn't like she was a repeat customer. Finally, the owner said something privately, the woman got on her cell and made some LOUD comments, took her kids and left. Don't know about your LSS, but ours all say no kids allowed at crops.

liveandkikn2, don't worry too much about all this. There's one in every bunch. Hopefully you won't find her, and I hope you have a blast this weekend!

QTScrapper
Diva
QTScrapper
In response to ~Chere~

I went to an all night crop at a memories expo in June and the woman who sat next to me had...no lie...4 HUGE rolling totes of stuff. Not to mention that she manopolized Half of my space!

That's what I hate the most!

IRWscrapper
Expert
IRWscrapper

People that have drinks on the table. That's why they sell things to put your drink in. Drinks should not be allowed on scrapbook tables.

AnniesSS
Idol
AnniesSS
In response to fefelants

I've never been to a crop before... and you guys are giving me good reason for keeping away!!!

IRWscrapper
Expert
IRWscrapper
In response to AnniesSS

OMG you should go to crops. You get so much free stuff if you go to the good ones. I'm going to one on Saturday. Its an awesome crop because she is my upline and she has amazing stuff to give away.

luvbuglane
Veteran
luvbuglane
In response to AnniesSS

Noooo don't miss out on crops! The fun stuff waay outweighs the bad. If you haven't cropped you haven't fully enjoyed scrapping yet, and sometimes *like me* you have a hard time going back to scrapping alone! LOL

luvbuglane
Veteran
luvbuglane
In response to IRWscrapper

The group I scrap with always have our drinks on the table. We are really careful, but you are right it's just an accident waiting to happen! AAAH! So, I have now vowed to get a drink holder before the next event!

live4scrappin
Expert
live4scrappin
In response to AnniesSS

Oops oh boy, I am guilty of touching on people's SB totes. But usually their my friends already.

And people should know better than to put drinks on the table. I don't even do that at home where I have all my space to myself. You would think people would be more considerate.

But I don't like it when your new and people act like they can't socialize a bit. I know people go to crops to get pages done, but why do people have to be so seroius?

R Miller
Expert
R Miller
In response to live4scrappin

Whew, I just had to jump in here. A comment on the drinks on the table - everybody should get a drink holder. Mine's from CM and screws onto the edge of table, really neat. Okay, here's my 2 least fav things about crops, already been mentioned, perhaps:

1. People monopolizing my space. I, by nature, am very tidy, even when I crop. I straighten up my space after each page, or I can't function. So naturally, my space is neat and I don't take up alot of room. People, and one is a dear friend, that take up their room plus encroach on mine, and they just keep spreading - drives me nuts!

2. And this one, I guess, is irritating, because I'm one of those nice people who won't hurt anybody's feelings. Some people want you to look at their pages, or layouts they are working on, or even their entire album they brought with them. Now, I go so I can work, not so I can spend my precious time looking at what somebody else is doing, or did last week, or last year. Don't want to be rude about it, but your stuff is nice, I just don't want to spend my time looking at it and oohing and aahing over it when I could be working!

There, I'm done. Hope I did not offend anybody!

R Miller
Expert
R Miller
In response to AnniesSS

• AnniesSS Said:
I've never been to a crop before... and you guys are giving me good reason for keeping away!!!

No, you can't miss it! While there are a few things that irritate me, overall it's alot of fun! If you've never been, you just gotta go! You will have a good time!

whitelily
Veteran
whitelily
In response to R Miller

Try working at a store and then going in on your time off and wanting to crop. Not going to happen. Many people know me and they come up and ask for advice or where things are at even though they know I am not working that day. I will kindly ask them to talk to the person working since I am here to have fun, but it's very irritating.

Judy_Scraps
Mayor
Judy_Scraps
In response to whitelily

I've had mostly good experiences at crops. Some of the people are "odd" but for the most part tolerable. Several crops I've been to were at a friends house with other scrap buddies. She sets up an awesome crop so I never had any complaints. The last one I went to was the most odd crop I've ever been to. It was held at church hall. I'd been warned that the lunch that was included was actually a pot of soup the hostess makes herself during the crop. Ok, fine. What I wasn't told is that when lunch was served, you dropped everything and everyone had to go sit at a table like a little family and eat together. Sorry, but when I'm at a crop and lunch is brought in (every other crop I've been to it's usually been pizza) I'll get it when I come to a stopping point with whatever I'm working on. Anyway, there's more. The real kicker was before we ate lunch we all had to stand in a circle and say what we were thankful for that day. Then we all had to sing a church song that I didn't know (so I didn't sing). I looked at my friend and gave her the evil eye. She mouthed "I'm sorry!" LOL No offense to the religious people here but not everyone is religious like that - that church isn't even my religion. As I was leaving to go home the woman insisted I take a bowl of soup home. WTH? My hands were full with my totes, etc. and I have to carry hot soup to the car too?

The woman holds those crops once a month and I haven't been back since. She was nice but also very pushy. I just didn't feel comfortable the whole time I was there.

Picture Happy
Governor
Picture Happy
In response to whitelily

What irritates me crops is that I can not pick up my scrap room and bring it with me.

I scrap on the fly and no matter how I plan things, there is always something I left at home and I can't finnish. For me I have a hard time starting something else, if I can not finnish what I started, so I don't crop much.

Besides, I'm nosey, and I like to see what everyone else is doing, and it makes for me to sit there for 3 hours and get one layout half way done, and then waste my time.

So I scrap on my own at home and I have people come to me every now and then. Works for me.

heynow
heynow 
Pro
heynow
In response to whitelily

A cropper bringing their personal radio and blasts music throughout the room.

Sharing supplies with a friend and someone your friend knows (and you don't) thinks they can help themselves to your supplies without even asking.

Edited by tfringa on 09-14-06 07:15 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Bellanca
Guru
Bellanca

I prefer to keep conversation light and fairly non-personal when working around people I don't know well. This goes for a crop, or for scrapbook related groups like a yahoo group, or something like that. I don't want to have to figure out what kind of expression is appropriately sympathetic if some stranger has just revealed a terrible tragedy. Likewise, I don't really want to get personal about being pregnant. You never know if someone is having complications or trouble just by looking at them and I really don't want to get into how I feel lately past "I'm fine." I've also been a teacher for the last few years and the absolutely last thing I want to hear about is your thoughts on what is wrong with today's schools, or how much you don't like your kid's teacher. Conversations should be light and sporadic, or related to the task at hand.

petergabrielfan
Queen
petergabrielfan
In response to Bellanca

You ladies are so right! I have been cropping for 7 years, and I have had the overly religious crops, the people wanting to talk about all their aches, pains and tragedies, people who take my stuff and the people who just can't be bothered to socialize at all. I'm not talking about dropping everything for an hour; just a friendly hello. You're all right, though. Crops are worth the time, and I do love them. It's just that some people make me nutty!

melstitcher
Tenant
melstitcher

The only thing that has ever bothered me is some of the conversations that go on. Some of those should be saved for a private conversation with your best friend, not the whole group...lol. This has only happened a time or two, and other than that, I have not had any pet peeves...

petergabrielfan
Queen
petergabrielfan
In response to melstitcher

• melstitcher Said:
The only thing that has ever bothered me is some of the conversations that go on. Some of those should be saved for a private conversation with your best friend, not the whole group...lol. This has only happened a time or two, and other than that, I have not had any pet peeves...

Oh yeah!! I know what you mean. We had one crop where two ladies were talking about their financial problems, one hubby's affair, doo-doo problems with the kids. Ugh. Keep it light and impersonal with strangers, please

OscarTGrouch
Veteran
OscarTGrouch
In response to AnniesSS

1) drinks or sticky food on the table
2) turn off the dang cell phone or put it on vibrate, leave the room when you are talking on it, better yet don't bring it
3) if you get up, push your own chair back in, it is too hard to get by when it is sticking out
4) if you use something put it back
5) I hate carrying stuff in and out to the crop
6) crops are so much fun, the good far outweighs the annoying.

lori petti
Resident
lori petti
In response to OscarTGrouch

only big peeve is cell phones or whinny kids.

patchouli2000
Expert
patchouli2000
In response to AnniesSS

Don't let us keep you from cropping--They are totatlly fun, its just some people can be annoying. I get tired of hearing folks hammering when they're setting eyelettes. Also, if CM doesn't sell an item that I'm using (like a die-cut machinge) why should they have a problem with me using/bringing my own?!

Diva Scraps
Idol
Diva Scraps
In response to lori petti

the LSS I cropped at once actually has a play area for children. If they are whiney, yeah I can see not bringing them...but if they are well maintained children then whats the harm? In fact, the last crop i went to (just this past weekend) a girl brought her 12 year old neice and it was great fun. She cropped right along with us. Infants yes, I canunderstand not bringing as well. However, if they are self maintained children with plenty of things to keep them occupied and they aren't being total brats...whats the harm?

For those who don't get your tools and what not back after they are 'stolen' (borrowed without asking) just write your name on them. I know it sounds very 10 y/o summer campish...but hey, it works. Better than having to buy the same pair of cutterbees 10 times over kwim?

Jaime Lynne
Mayor
Jaime Lynne

• liveandkikn2 Said:
Oh man, I'm going to my very first one this weekend and you guys are scaring the crop out of me.

Clever!!!

live4scrappin
Expert
live4scrappin
In response to Judy_Scraps

• judyQ Said:
Anyway, there's more. The real kicker was before we ate lunch we all had to stand in a circle and say what we were thankful for that day. Then we all had to sing a church song that I didn't know (so I didn't sing). I looked at my friend and gave her the evil eye. She mouthed "I'm sorry!" LOL No offense to the religious people here but not everyone is religious like that - that church isn't even my religion. As I was leaving to go home the woman insisted I take a bowl of soup home. WTH? My hands were full with my totes, etc. and I have to carry hot soup to the car too?

The woman holds those crops once a month and I haven't been back since. She was nice but also very pushy. I just didn't feel comfortable the whole time I was there.

Oh Gosh this is the funniest thing I've ever heard in my life...well okay all week. But still it's hilarious.

Well my mom wants me to host a crop at her church for about five or six hours. I asked her how much they were going to pay me and she told me they would do a "love offering." Of course I'm going to do it but I can see myself now walking away with 25/ 30 bucks...

live4scrappin
Expert
live4scrappin

I would be furious if anyone ever tried to keep my tools. I guess since I scrap w/ the same people all the time I don't have to wory about that.

However I am planning on going to a crop at a LSS that I've never been to before. I'll have my guards up and remember not to dig in anyoneelse's bag. lol!

Judes4
Judes4 
Veteran
Judes4
In response to Judes4

• Judes4 Said:

Don't worry, Mandy. Some crop are fine. It just depends on who's there.

Judes4
Judes4 
Veteran
Judes4
In response to Sunnydi

Good for you for tackling the problem immed. This bring to mind: Why don't hostesses create 'rules of etiquette' for crops. It's obvious some people don't have restraint or manners. Maybe people going to a crop should ask the hostess/host to create 'rules' to be distributed to all attendees...even prior to the event by email. If everyone is getting a copy there could be no feelings of being picked on. I think I'm going to put a "Private Property" sign on my tote when start going to crops....

I think I know why our hostess didn't do anything. Mind you, this person came to EVERY CROP at this LSS. Money! The offending woman is a BIG spender at this store.

I don't go to their crops anymore because I can't stand it. I think some of the other women were her friends, because they were pretty bad, too.

petergabrielfan
Queen
petergabrielfan
In response to Diva Scraps

I don't have a problem with older children. My sister used to come with me when she was a teen. None of our LSS allow kids during crops anymore because people were dumping the kids in the playroom (in the front) and going to crops in the back, just leaving their kids up there for hours. Inevitably, the kids would be back in the crop area throwing toys, yelling and causing problems. If it's in someone's home, it's a totally different story, but when people expect SS emoloyees to watch their kids, that is bad crop etiquette IMO.

Jennifer Priest
Governor
Jennifer Priest

I have been to alot of crops and had some really hairy experiences!

1. People who pass gas while cropping--seriously I was at the LA Scrapbook marathon one year and the lady next to me was letting them rip and I could not breathe--I would have sprayed her with air freshner if I had it.

2. People who touch your stuff without asking---I don't mind if people look (not stare for 20 mins) but I dont like them moving stuff around, dont know if they have clean hands, and they usually drop something on the floor.

3. Hostesses that don't have the mostess. If you are gonna host a crop, have toilet paper, a clean house, snacks (not just tap water and hard candies), turn the AC on if it is hot or the heater if it is cold, make sure everyone has enough room, and keep your kids under wraps so they dont barge in and knock over peoople's stuff. Otherwise, if you are not going to do a good job hosting, suck it up and drive to other people's houses to crop. I actually went to a crop like this--totally nightmare.

4. People with giant bags. There is only so much room and I don't like getting trapped in with big bags. It is no like you can USE all the stuff for the 4 hours you are there.

5. Unhappy people. Complaining about whatever, needing to be the center of attention when no one cares about what they are saying, being loud, not being happy with whatever music is on....just annoying people.Go home so we can have some fun!

6. People who want a tutorial or free calss from you while you are scrapping. Asking for a little help or about something cool someone did on a page is okay. But people who want constant help with choosing colors, and all this nonsense, are just too rude. You paid to crop too, not give free lessons. This happens to me alot--people wnat me to give them aprivate calss on a class they missed while we are at a crop--it is not like I ma getting paid and I came to crop, not teach. Or the people that just suck up all your time asking you to cut something for them or stamp for them or layout their pics for them--ugggh!

Okay, that is about it!

Jennifer Priest
Governor
Jennifer Priest
In response to Judes4

• Judes4 Said:

I think I know why our hostess didn't do anything. Mind you, this person came to EVERY CROP at this LSS. Money! The offending woman is a BIG spender at this store.

I don't go to their crops anymore because I can't stand it. I think some of the other women were her friends, because they were pretty bad, too.

Some people don't think the rules apply to them either, esp if they are a regular customer or big spender.

Edited by chococatgirls on 09-14-06 09:36 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Rachel's mom
Veteran
Rachel's mom

Things that drive me nutty at crops:
1. the people who are always borrowing, borrowing, borrowing those things that cannot be returned (adhesive, embellies and the like) and then on the rare event that I need to borrow something, they are unwilling to do so!
2. putting your name on your supplies...this is a must for me!! Then I know what is mine when it is time to pack up and there has been a time or two when I have come home with someone else's supply/tool, it is unmarked and I have no idea who to return it to. I always feel so guilty!

Evenight001
Veteran
Evenight001
In response to AnniesSS

I did send them all through the email a list of rules and i had them to sign in when they came in, and the rule were clearly listed. But you have some people who are so obvious that you couldn't possibly be talking about them

fefelants
Governor
fefelants
In response to Jennifer Priest

• chococatgirls Said:
I have been to alot of crops and had some really hairy experiences!

1. People who pass gas while cropping--seriously I was at the LA Scrapbook marathon one year and the lady next to me was letting them rip and I could not breathe--I would have sprayed her with air freshner if I had it.

Oh now that's just WRONG! Accidents happen occasionally but ewwwwww!! Use a bathroom!!

4. People with giant bags. There is only so much room and I don't like getting trapped in with big bags. It is no like you can USE all the stuff for the 4 hours you are there.

I have a bigger bag but not the biggest. But, I try to bring almost preassembled pages and the rest of the space is used for stamps, stamp pads, tools, markers and such. I pull out what I need and keep it closed and out of the way as much as possible.

5. Unhappy people. Complaining about whatever, needing to be the center of attention when no one cares about what they are saying, being loud, not being happy with whatever music is on....just annoying people.Go home so we can have some fun!

Gonna leave this one at AMEN!!

6. People who want a tutorial or free calss from you while you are scrapping. Asking for a little help or about something cool someone did on a page is okay. But people who want constant help with choosing colors, and all this nonsense, are just too rude. You paid to crop too, not give free lessons. This happens to me alot--people wnat me to give them aprivate calss on a class they missed while we are at a crop--it is not like I ma getting paid and I came to crop, not teach. Or the people that just suck up all your time asking you to cut something for them or stamp for them or layout their pics for them--ugggh!
Tell them what your going hourly rate is for teaching and they'll go away (nicely of course). It worked for me except the shop owner said I wasn't allowed to soliciate on the property and was shocked when I said I wasn't. LOL

ScrapJackie
New Kid On the Block
ScrapJackie
In response to AnniesSS

• AnniesSS Said:

Don't be discouraged, it's all in jest. There needs to be a "Great things about Crops" thread

Jackie

petergabrielfan
Queen
petergabrielfan
In response to ScrapJackie

I have another story to share, but it's a doozy! Ok, so we're at this Friday night crop/make & take at our LSS. We're cropping, and this guy comes in and starts, uh "enjoying himself" in front of everyone. It was horrifying. Of course, I was one of the few who saw him, so I ran and got the owner and she and her hubby (thank goodness he was there) called the police. Unfortunately, he was never found and they think he just wandered in because he saw all the women. Ewwwww.

Jaime Lynne
Mayor
Jaime Lynne

I have never attended a crop at a LSS, just get togethers with friends.

But I did go to a cardmaking evening with some ladies in the neighborhood and the hostess and some of the other cardmakeres got ticked that I didn't follow the instructions exactly.

My card looked different from theirs - but it looked better, I think - and they told me that's not how you do it. I had to laugh. So much for being CREATIVE.

I wonder what a sb night would be like with them?

fefelants
Governor
fefelants
In response to Jaime Lynne

Oh gross!! That would be enough for me to never go back there. Ever. For anything! I find a man just adjusting himself to be replusive and thankfully my hubby is respectful of that and tends to any "adjustments" in the bathroom.

It's one thing I told my daughters too. If a man can't respect you enough not to handle that in fornt of you, then you don't need him. I think it is horrible to see young men and grown men adjusting themselves or worse - raking! What would they think if a woman did all that??!! The worst. And that's what I think about them doing it - much less ENJOYING it! Eww yuk.

petergabrielfan
Queen
petergabrielfan
In response to fefelants

• fefelants Said:
Oh gross!! That would be enough for me to never go back there. Ever. For anything! I find a man just adjusting himself to be replusive and thankfully my hubby is respectful of that and tends to any "adjustments" in the bathroom.

It's one thing I told my duaghters too. If a man can't respect you enough not to handle that in fornt of you, then you don't need him. I think it is horrible to see young men and grown men adjusting themselves or worse - raking! What would they think if a woman did all that??!! The worst. And that's what I think about them doing it - much less ENJOYING it! Eww yuk.

Totally. This guy was just completely oblivious to all of us. There was a strong odor of booze around him, but no bars in the area and it was not easy to get to w/o a car. It was really gross. Thankfully there were no children there, but there was a nun there and a kid's pizza place in the plaza. I hope he isn't visiting any other LSS I go to.

AnniesSS
Idol
AnniesSS
In response to ScrapJackie

• ScrapJackie Said:
  • AnniesSS Said:

Don't be discouraged, it's all in jest. There needs to be a "Great things about Crops" thread

Jackie

Honestly.... I don't have a friends who scrap - ok, I have one friend who has supplies and says she likes to scrap but hasn't done a single page yet lol) so it would seem odd to me to go to a crop when I don't have any friends to go with... ya know?! Also, there aren't any around - except for at the LSS that I don't shop at - so that's another excuse lol

ChicagoMom
Expert
ChicagoMom

First of all, CROPS ARE FUN! The few obnoxious people should not turn us off! But, here is my list:

1. People who hog the space--it is usually pretty obvious how much space is allocated for each person.

2. People who talk way too loud.

3. People who act like they are the "supreme scrapper"--and they want everyone to praise their work. Everyone has a different style and goal with their scrapping--and it is ALL GOOD!

OK, I feel better now. Crops really are fun.

petergabrielfan
Queen
petergabrielfan
In response to AnniesSS

• AnniesSS Said:
  • ScrapJackie Said:
  • AnniesSS Said:

Jackie

Honestly.... I don't have a friends who scrap - ok, I have one friend who has supplies and says she likes to scrap but hasn't done a single page yet lol) so it would seem odd to me to go to a crop when I don't have any friends to go with... ya know?! Also, there aren't any around - except for at the LSS that I don't shop at - so that's another excuse lol

I think you're just trying to get out of meeting all these freaks we're talking about. They're everywhere, you know!

scrappingbeth
Idol
scrappingbeth

I don't like it when people act too serious to enjoy themselves. I realize that you are here to get something done, but I would also like to get to know those I don't (some friendly chatter, please!).

fefelants
Governor
fefelants
In response to AnniesSS

• AnniesSS Said:
  • ScrapJackie Said:
  • AnniesSS Said:

Jackie

Oh Annie - I WISH we lived closer!! I don't have a scrap buddy and would love to have you The LSS I go to isn't so lcal - it's 30 miles and 45 minutes away. So, I don't go all that often as it's an all day affair for me, but I have no one here

Frau_Cooney
Diva
Frau_Cooney
In response to heynow

Round tables with 3 people at them. Someone is inevitably seated in front of the leg, and every time they move, the whole table moves. Wreaks havoc on journaling! I don't blame the person, I blame the table.

People talking so loudly that all the surrounding tables are forced to listen. And I know they are proud of their children, but there must be at least one other topic they could talk about. I love to talk to my friends about their children (and hope one day they will listen to my stories), but I don't need to hear stories from someone I have never met!

(Wow! Now I feel whiney!)

Scrapgurl78
Diva
Scrapgurl78
In response to AnniesSS

Wow..all sound like nightmares! LOL! Well....I have been to many crops and this one takes the cake!
Here ya go ready!?
1. Drove a distance for one...60+ miles...thats alot for me...I usually go to local crops.
2. There was nothing to EAT OR DRINK!!!!
3. The space was not enough for me..myself and a friend had to share a 4 FOOT table...YES!
4. I felt tlike the walls were closing in on me...to the point where I couldn't think...
5. To top it all off....I haven't heard from the host of the crop as if I did something wrong...HELLO!!??

I have thrown many crops and I usually go all out when my company comes over...dugh..so there isn't anything to to talk about after my guests have left! I make sure my HOUSE IS CLEANED, RESTROOM FULLY ACCESSIBLE (toilet paper...shouldn't that be a given?"), towels, etc..., if you ahev a 4ft. table when you come to my house, its YOURS, if you have a longer table depending on the crowd, yoy may have to share, I also make sure my guests are competely satisfied when leaving my house (food wise)...I left this crop and has to stop and get something to EAT and DRINK! Not only was gas money spent, but had to pay for my food for me to eat onmy way home! LOL!
Okay I am gonan stop there....

Edited by Scrapgurl78 on 09-14-06 11:32 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Scrapgurl78
Diva
Scrapgurl78
In response to heynow

The radio blaster would have to go bye bye!!

Scrapgurl78
Diva
Scrapgurl78

COMEDY!!!

tmmvol
tmmvol 
Idol
tmmvol
In response to Scrapgurl78

This thread is wild! I too am an alone scrapper -- never been to a crop, don't have any IRL scrappin friends. My LSS has a few crop nights but I've never been. Too intimidated, I think. And now just too plain scared! LOL

petergabrielfan
Queen
petergabrielfan

• Scrapgurl78 Said:
Wow..all sound like nightmares! LOL! Well....I have been to many crops and this one takes the cake!
Here ya go ready!?
1. Drove a distance for one...60+ miles...thats alot for me...I usually go to local crops.
3. The space was not enough for me..myself and a friend had to share a 4 FOOT table...YES!
4. I felt tlike the walls were closing in on me...to the point where I couldn't think...
5. To top it all off....I haven't heard from the host of the crop as if I did something wrong...HELLO!!??

I have thrown many crops and I usually go all out when my company comes over...dugh..so there isn't anything to to talk about after my guests have left! I make sure my HOUSE IS CLEANED, RESTROOM FULLY ACCESSIBLE (toilet paper...shouldn't that be a given?"), towels, etc..., if you ahev a 4ft. table when you come to my house, its YOURS, if you have a longer table depending on the crowd, yoy may have to share, I also make sure my guests are competely satisfied when leaving my house (food wise)...I left this crop and has to stop and get something to EAT and DRINK! Not only was gas money spent, but had to pay for my food for me to eat onmy way home! LOL!

Some of your friends have PM'd me. This one takes the cake!!

OwlEyez (O,O) Cheri
Expert
OwlEyez (O,O) Cheri
In response to tmmvol

I've tagged along with my Mom's scrap buddies a few times. They've all known each other forever, so I feel like the odd woman out.

Not sure I want to go to a lss crop night, not after all these stories! Thanks for the laugh though!

Cheri

OscarTGrouch
Veteran
OscarTGrouch
In response to Frau_Cooney

Crops are fun.

I go to ones at my LSS, I always go by myself I don't have scrapping friends. I go to the expense of getting a babysitter so that my kids are not there. A "timeout" with mom. Why should I have to put up with others kids.
The eyelet hammering thing when I am obviously writing on a lo. Give a warning before you shake the whole table.
Me getting out to a crop at a LSS is about the only time I get to crop, so it is important to me that I do get the most out of the time.

petergabrielfan
Queen
petergabrielfan
In response to OscarTGrouch

• OscarTGrouch Said:
Crops are fun.

I go to ones at my LSS, I always go by myself I don't have scrapping friends. I go to the expense of getting a babysitter so that my kids are not there. A "timeout" with mom. Why should I have to put up with others kids.
The eyelet hammering thing when I am obviously writing on a lo. Give a warning before you shake the whole table.
Me getting out to a crop at a LSS is about the only time I get to crop, so it is important to me that I do get the most out of the time.

Constant eyelet hammering is such a no! I always try to do mine at home, althought since I got the silent setter it is not such an issue. We also have the people with incessant cell phones with horrible rings and never-ending cell convos about dinner, someone going on the potty, etc. I take it outside if it's going to be more than a few seconds' talk.

AnniesSS
Idol
AnniesSS

• petergabrielfan Said:
  • AnniesSS Said:
  • ScrapJackie Said:
  • AnniesSS Said:

Jackie

I think you're just trying to get out of meeting all these freaks we're talking about. They're everywhere, you know!

Ya know.. I think you're RIGHT!!!

AnniesSS
Idol
AnniesSS
In response to fefelants

• fefelants Said:
  • AnniesSS Said:
  • ScrapJackie Said:
  • AnniesSS Said:

Jackie

Oh Annie - I WISH we lived closer!! I don't have a scrap buddy and would love to have you The LSS I go to isn't so lcal - it's 30 miles and 45 minutes away. So, I don't go all that often as it's an all day affair for me, but I have no one here

Awe - it's so funny how some of us really enjoy scrapping and there are others that laugh at it. My SIL thinks it's ridiculous.... until she met one of her neighbor's who is the most ADDICTED scrapper I've ever met in person - and well, she scares me!!! lol

If you ever head to Raleigh - lemme know I'm not even sure where Lumberton is!

fefelants
Governor
fefelants
In response to AnniesSS

LOL -- most people don't. It's right on I-95 just above South of the Border, SC. Almost halway between you and Myrtle Beach

Meak72
Meak72 
Mayor
Meak72

What a great thread! The two things that get to me are:

1. People who bring their kids into the store while cropping is going on, and let them play in the crop area.

2. People who use swear words during their conversations. Do I swear? Absolutely. Do I do it in front of people I do not know? Never. I think there is a time and place to use swear words, and my crop time isn't one of them. I don't want to hear it.

R Miller
Expert
R Miller

• judyQ Said:
The real kicker was before we ate lunch we all had to stand in a circle and say what we were thankful for that day. Then we all had to sing a church song that I didn't know (so I didn't sing).

That's too funny! Matter of fact, that sounds like something one of my dear friends would do! Not that I have anything against church, or prayer, or church songs, but I don't really want to do it while I am wanting to crop!

• Bellanca Said:
I've also been a teacher for the last few years and the absolutely last thing I want to hear about is your thoughts on what is wrong with today's schools, or how much you don't like your kid's teacher.

Totally agree here. And at our crops we have at our church, several of the women are teachers. Two of them together are OVER-BEARING! It's like they take that time to bash everything about their jobs, their kids they teach, their co-workers, parents, etc. etc. etc. I say give it a rest! I, for one, go to a crop to relax and enjoy myself - TOO MUCH TALK SPOILS IT FOR EVERYONE!!!

HollyD
HollyD 
Mayor
HollyD
In response to R Miller

Something that bothers me . . . I don't have any friends who scrap yet, hoping to meet some at my LSS. What bugs me is when you go and the people there are in their own little clique and won't let new people join in the conversation. If you want to be exclusive, go to someone's house, not the store! It makes me feel like I'm back in high school.

petergabrielfan
Queen
petergabrielfan
In response to HollyD

• HollyD Said:
Something that bothers me . . . I don't have any friends who scrap yet, hoping to meet some at my LSS. What bugs me is when you go and the people there are in their own little clique and won't let new people join in the conversation. If you want to be exclusive, go to someone's house, not the store! It makes me feel like I'm back in high school.

I also don't like this. My sister and I once went to a crop where we were the only ones not in the "clique". They did personal inside jokes, never made one effort to say hi and made it clear they were there own little group. We left after an hour and never went back. I wish you lived closer. I'd talk to you

Jleighroll
Pro
Jleighroll

I have a friend who hosts a crop from time to time and her DIL comes and they share stuff, and I usually sit next to the MIL. Well, one time the DIL just comes and picks up my "slab" and just rips out 3 pages, and doesn't even tear them out neatly... uneven rips (even if I had wanted them back, I wouldn't have been able to use them!) Then the MIL said "That's not mine, that's Jennifer's" The DIL just says "sorry" and takes it over to her spot. UGH!

I don't mind a baby/child being there for an hour or so, as long as they mind and stay out of everybody's stuff, but any longer than that, and they need to go. There have been times hubby hasn't been done mowing the grass or whatever when I leave for my crop, so I'll take dd with me, but she's usually only there for 30-45 minutes.

fefelants
Governor
fefelants
In response to Jleighroll

OH MY! Just reaching in and grabbing??!! I have never heard of such a thing. I've asked scrappers where they have gotten certain items that I have never seen before and they tell me. One lady had this pretty paper that had scalloped/lg circle border all around it and she up and offered me what was left as she bought too much. I only took two sheets, but they were SOOO nice. Never saw them before.

petergabrielfan
Queen
petergabrielfan
In response to fefelants

• fefelants Said:
OH MY! Just reaching in and grabbing??!! I have never heard of such a thing. I've asked scrappers where they have gotten certain items that I have never seen before and they tell me. One lady had this pretty paper that had scalloped/lg circle border all around it and she up and offered me what was left as she bought too much. I only took two sheets, but they were SOOO nice. Never saw them before.

I know! Enough with the grabby folks. Our LSS just got that paper a little bit ago. It is so neat. Love it too

dogparent
Mayor
dogparent
In response to heynow

I've only been to one crop outside of my house, and it was fun, EXCEPT for the lady who:

a. nattered on with every lurid detail about her recent gastric bypass surgery (and i do mean every, I now know about excessive gas, vomiting and a number of other WAY TMI factoids about her).

then, she moved on to, in no particular order, and as loudly as she could -- pork chops, Easter cards, that she and her DH hadn't had sex in over a year and were like roommates, ugh! I finally went out to my car and got my mp3 player and wore it the rest of the night. The lady next to me offered me 10 bucks if i'd give her a set of headphones -- she said she didn't care if i was listening to NAILS ON A CHALKBOARD! hee hee hee

fefelants
Governor
fefelants
In response to fefelants

• fefelants Said:

http://www.scrapbook.com/scrapbook_layouts/showphoto.ph...

the pink paper in the background of this layout is the paper i was referring too.

Judy_Scraps
Mayor
Judy_Scraps

• petergabrielfan Said:
I have another story to share, but it's a doozy! Ok, so we're at this Friday night crop/make & take at our LSS. We're cropping, and this guy comes in and starts, uh "enjoying himself" in front of everyone. It was horrifying.

petergabrielfan
Queen
petergabrielfan

• judyQ Said:
  • petergabrielfan Said:
I have another story to share, but it's a doozy! Ok, so we're at this Friday night crop/make & take at our LSS. We're cropping, and this guy comes in and starts, uh "enjoying himself" in front of everyone. It was horrifying.

My friend and I still laugh about our "croppin' boyfriend"

scrappersdelite
Pro
scrappersdelite
In response to fefelants

I was at the scary crop Scrapgurl78, chococatgirls and 1crazyscraplady were at. Yeah, when we walked in, I looked at the other girls as if to say, "Are we seriously going to scrap here? Where's the real scrapping area? Oh, no....!" LOL!!

NoirCat
Guru
NoirCat
In response to scrappersdelite

No specific horror stories just some agreements. I have scrapped in people's homes and at a LSS. Here's my List:
1. People with open drinks, that includes soda bottles.
2. Unwarrented critics.
3. Constant borrowers without return or reward.
4. Loud complainers, specifically the ones that critisize the LSS they are currently scrapping in.
5. Last-but-Never least, my own inability to NOT FIND stuff I just can't live without have to go find immediately.

Mostly I have fun and take people with a grain of salt.

Tenant
In response to NoirCat

I had to read through and make sure I wasn't doing anything wrong at crops! ;) Looks like I'm okay. The only thing would be a drink on the table but it's always in a bottle - take a drink and put the lid right back on before I sit it down.

Jennifer Priest
Governor
Jennifer Priest
In response to fefelants

• fefelants Said:
It worked for me except the shop owner said I wasn't allowed to soliciate on the property and was shocked when I said I wasn't. LOL

Oh that is just too much! LOL

Jennifer Priest
Governor
Jennifer Priest
In response to NoirCat

• NoirCat Said:

5. Last-but-Never least, my own inability to NOT FIND stuff I just can't live without have to go find immediately.

I have that same problem. Or I forget something essential, like a 12" trimmer and have to go back home, call the hubby to bring it, or borrow one--which can get annoying to others!

Jennifer Priest
Governor
Jennifer Priest
In response to tmmvol

• tmmvol Said:
This thread is wild! I too am an alone scrapper -- never been to a crop, don't have any IRL scrappin friends. My LSS has a few crop nights but I've never been. Too intimidated, I think. And now just too plain scared! LOL

Awww! Don't be scared--I mean at least we can laugh at our weird experiences! And the majority of crops are just tons of fun.

Jennifer Priest
Governor
Jennifer Priest

• Scrapgurl78 Said:
Here ya go ready!?

You do know how to throw some crops!

Jennifer Priest
Governor
Jennifer Priest
In response to fefelants

• fefelants Said:
LOL -- most people don't. It's right on I-95 just above South of the Border, SC. Almost halway between you and Myrtle Beach

I passed there last week during our trip on our way to Wilmington and Fort Fisher!

Jennifer Priest
Governor
Jennifer Priest
In response to dogparent

• dogparent Said:
I've only been to one crop outside of my house, and it was fun, EXCEPT for the lady who:

a. nattered on with every lurid detail about her recent gastric bypass surgery (and i do mean every, I now know about excessive gas, vomiting and a number of other WAY TMI factoids about her).

then, she moved on to, in no particular order, and as loudly as she could -- pork chops, Easter cards, that she and her DH hadn't had sex in over a year and were like roommates, ugh! I finally went out to my car and got my mp3 player and wore it the rest of the night. The lady next to me offered me 10 bucks if i'd give her a set of headphones -- she said she didn't care if i was listening to NAILS ON A CHALKBOARD! hee hee hee

Okay, you could be talking about me! LOL I am usually the TMI one in our group!

Jennifer Priest
Governor
Jennifer Priest

• petergabrielfan Said:
I have another story to share, but it's a doozy! Ok, so we're at this Friday night crop/make & take at our LSS. We're cropping, and this guy comes in and starts, uh "enjoying himself" in front of everyone. It was horrifying. Of course, I was one of the few who saw him, so I ran and got the owner and she and her hubby (thank goodness he was there) called the police. Unfortunately, he was never found and they think he just wandered in because he saw all the women. Ewwwww.

OMG---there is an sb store here who has all kinds of crazies come in!!!

I got a weird man story too. There is this group I used to be in (still know some of the ladies) and a cross dressing man and his daughter used to scrap with them. He would come in women's clothes with full make up and everything. He would leave every afternoon to go home and shave. They had a costume party for Halloween one year (I saw pics) and he came as I dream of Genie--will hairy belly hanging out. He would complain to the store owner that he didn't like the women talking about women stuff--so they kicked him out finally. He actually still scraps in our town but I have only seen him as a man.

crazydeb67
Diva
crazydeb67

I have a cell phone story.

A friend holds crops at our school usually once a month January thru March. There is mom, who has only 1 child (no offense to anyone with only one child). The mom comes to the crop and immediately her cell starts ringing. (Yes, it is an annoying ring too). It is either the dd or the dh. The dd is hungry..."why don't you have daddy make you something?" DH is on the phone saying he doesn't have anything to make for the child. He brings her up to the crop. He thinks he is going to leave the dd with the mom (she is in 4th grade). DH and DD are leaving, but the mom has to order food for them to be delivered to their house. DH calls after about 10 mins and says the food is not here, call the place. Mom proceeds to call the restaurant to inquire about the food. UUUUGGGGGHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!! This goes on for about 12 hours.

We have turned her phone off before.

We now make sure she is in another room.

buzzkiss
Governor
buzzkiss
In response to crazydeb67

I want to go to a crop, but I don't want to put up with this STUFF alone! I'm pretty shy, so it would be hard for me to go alone. I've been to other kinds of parties. I only knew the hostess and that was uncomfortable. I can only imagine how a crop would be.

beebuzz
Diva
beebuzz
In response to buzzkiss

Ok, Ive been to crops (2-3 so far) and I always enjoyed myself immensely!! No horror stories here. And all the scrappers I met went out of their way to include me into the group... and Ive done the same with newer newbies... so Buzzkiss and all the others... GO TO CROPS!!!! ITS SO FUN!!!

ShoppingMom
Diva
ShoppingMom
In response to beebuzz

Personally.. now that Im' getting a full room especially, I love being at home. I have ALL my stuff, my wide printer, everything within reach. I hate to pack/unpack stuff for crops!

Momto3greatkids
Veteran
Momto3greatkids
In response to ShoppingMom

I've gotten together to crop with friends at church once a week and I've gone to a couple CM crops and so far I have no complaints. But I will say that my best cropping time is away from the house and away from the kids and while I don't mind chatting occasionally, I wouldn't want to spend my whole time chatting away when I really need to concentrate on my pages. :-)

Edited by Momto3greatkids on 09-14-06 09:17 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

petergabrielfan
Queen
petergabrielfan
In response to ShoppingMom

• Danielle R Said:
Personally.. now that Im' getting a full room especially, I love being at home. I have ALL my stuff, my wide printer, everything within reach. I hate to pack/unpack stuff for crops!

This is for sure! Sometimes I just like the peace, quiet and total accessability that my crop room provides. I hate packing & unpacking for crops too.

fefelants
Governor
fefelants

• chococatgirls Said:
  • fefelants Said:

I passed there last week during our trip on our way to Wilmington and Fort Fisher!

Yep -- I'm just down the road from Fayetteville. Forget when you're moving here, but we should get together when you do I never need an excuse to go shopping

Sunnydi
Queen
Sunnydi

• live4scrappin Said:
  • judyQ Said:
Anyway, there's more. The real kicker was before we ate lunch we all had to stand in a circle and say what we were thankful for that day. Then we all had to sing a church song that I didn't know (so I didn't sing). I looked at my friend and gave her the evil eye. She mouthed "I'm sorry!" LOL No offense to the religious people here but not everyone is religious like that - that church isn't even my religion. As I was leaving to go home the woman insisted I take a bowl of soup home. WTH? My hands were full with my totes, etc. and I have to carry hot soup to the car too?

Oh Gosh this is the funniest thing I've ever heard in my life...well okay all week. But still it's hilarious.

Well my mom wants me to host a crop at her church for about five or six hours. I asked her how much they were going to pay me and she told me they would do a "love offering." Of course I'm going to do it but I can see myself now walking away with 25/ 30 bucks...

At our church a 'love offering' is not money...it's a prayer of blessing done by everyone for 'you'.

Page 1 of 5 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics