Page 5 of 5 
Username Post: CHRISTMAS GIFT IDEA THREAD        (Topic#1385857)
emarie 
New Kid On the Block
In response to Hayles98

I'm making some hand embroidered dish towels, and the cookies in a jar mentioned before.

New Kid On the Block
In response to gg loves Matthew

Hi! i think the Christmas thread is a great idea. I don't know about you ladies, but I am definitely trying to save some $$ this season!!! I found something I am going to use, don't know if you will like it but since we are crafty types...you can get this CD of alphabet&number photos, i think there are like almost 200 or something, and you can make personalized gifts. it's a little pricey, $59, but I decided it was worth it since I can make gifts for everyone for christmas. Prob will use for wedding gifts in the summer too, and for my digital scrapbooking fonts. You can check it out here
Link
Alphabetandnumberphotogra phy.com

Let me know what you think. Happy gift-making!!

Peytons Scrapn Mama
Resident
Peytons Scrapn Mama
In response to beccawings

I love the alphas and numbers!! I saw an art piece in San Diego that had "San Diego" spelled out over and over with different things that made the letters. I took a pic of it to remind myself of the technique. I personally would LOVE a gift made with the CD! Have fun with it!

I have decided to make calendars (trying to find a cool template though--if anyone has a good site to download something, let me know!!), and paint canvases with the last name of the families that I never know what to get. I'm going to have my 3-year-old make a story book for the grandparents. She has just learned to draw stick figures and she tells the most elaborate stories, so I think they will get a kick out of that. I also just had my 2nd daughter two months ago, and we got the most darling photos taken of our family. Soooo, I am looking into cool photo gifts as well. I really don't have the patience for trying to figure out what to buy everyone this year, so most gifts will be giftcards. I may make holders for them so they're a little more personal. I am focusing on making decorations with my daughter this year. I think she's at the age where she will enjoy it and will be able to actually do a good job (though I would display anything she made--I love all of her artistic projects!!)

Kale

susies1955
New Kid On the Block
susies1955
In response to Peytons Scrapn Mama

Ok, you all are making me nuts. I'm brand new here, brand new to scrapping of any kind.
WOW this thread is awesome. I'm only on page 15.
Susie in northern NY

cshortel
Guru
cshortel
In response to susies1955

I'm making "December Survival Kits" for the girls at work. In it I made a planner, Cold Survival Kit (includes tissues, hand sanitizer, chicken soup mix and tea bag), grinch pills, Shoppers Energy Kit, "Homemade Christmas Fudge", coffe cup cutout with hot chocolate and chocolate mug cake recipe, and a diaper fold pouch with popcorn and the holidy tv schedule, all tied up with a glitter ornament and a poem I wrote on a little ornament shapped tag. NOW, what I'm doing for everyone else, I'm not quite sure, but those packages I have to have by Nov. 22.

bears99
Diva
bears99
In response to cshortel

Those December survival kits sound great. They would work for my office people too, just not sure I have time enough now to do those!Neat idea to keep in mind.

cshortel
Guru
cshortel
In response to bears99

You could do a smaller version of a "survival kit" and have them done in time - I got all mine finished and now I can't find the tags I made way back in the summer. Where would you be if you were 9 little ornament tags?

cshortel
Guru
cshortel
In response to cshortel

Or maybe alter my Cold Survival Kit (see my gallery) and add a small pad of paper, pencil, candy cane, etc.

Here's the poem I wrote to go with my December Survival Kit. Feel free to use it:

December can be so busy
Rushing from here to there,
There’s not time to get things done
Let alone have it to spare.

So here’s a little something
To help you out a bit.
I hope that you enjoy
Your December survival kit.

Scrap Chica
Idol
Scrap Chica
In response to cshortel

I love this thread, I am making altered clipboards, magic boxes found here:http://lifeaslou.blogsome.com/2008/01/30/magic-boxe s-a-life-as-lou-online-cl ********/ has full instructions and another link to others I believe, also I am doing altered boxes for the men with their fav. snacks. Will post pics as I get them done!

southern lady
Governor
southern lady
In response to Scrap Chica

here a some stuff i made
christmas gift 1 By Southern Lady

southern lady
Governor
southern lady
In response to southern lady

christmas gift 2 By Southern Lady

southern lady
Governor
southern lady

christmas gift 1 By Southern Lady

southern lady
Governor
southern lady

christasm gift 2 By Southern Lady

southern lady
Governor
southern lady

i made this christmas tree with ribbion while i was at my parents house
christmas tree By Southern Lady

BeckyConley
Veteran
BeckyConley
In response to gg loves Matthew

I had an idea but haven't made it yet!! where does the time go?

Anyhow, my son is in his last year of college, and has a GF so I was going to make her a scrapbook of his favorite home cooked meal recipes!!

They both love to cook but still struggle with some of the basics.

Ycats
Ycats 
Expert
Ycats
  • Ycats on 06-19-11 11:41 AM
In response to leeyn

is it bad I'm working on Christmas Ornaments already? lol! but it's for my church's fall festival's craft room to sell so I guess that's not so bad?

Ycats
Ycats 
Expert
Ycats
  • Ycats on 06-20-11 04:17 AM
In response to Ycats

Here's the ornament's I've been making!

http://ycatsfursworth.blogspot.com/2011/06/double-ball-...

veejer
veejer 
Resident
veejer
In response to Jennifer Priest

I am thinking about making some flash cards for a friend's dd's since they will be starting preschool soon. He was telling me about he and his wife were going to try and work with them a bit on numbers and letters. The girls can recite the alphabet and count, but can't recognize the written letters and numbers.

I'm still brainstorming on ideas for a group of 12 friends who all get together for a holiday dinner and party / gift exchange. Due to the number of people (and that one is Jewish) it becomes difficult to think of something that everyone will like and spend the same on everyone on my limited budget. Had a great idea a few weeks ago, but wasn't able to write it down (I may have been driving or in the shower), and of course I can't remember what it was now.

Veronica

southern lady
Governor
southern lady
In response to veejer

i just want to bump this up to see if anyone has any more ideas

catzscrapper
Pro
catzscrapper

I'm getting all pumped for the Holidays now seeing these great ideas

veejer
veejer 
Resident
veejer
In response to catzscrapper

I sometimes make little train locomotives, cars, planes and rockets with wrapped candy. I found the idea online many years ago. I usually make a bunch of cookies, but that gets expensive! For work, I'm sticking to the butterscotch Chex Mix (everyone raved when I made it last year), and the candy locos (for my closer work friends and those in my department). I'm thinking the FF box would be perfect for the chex mix!

creater1
Diva
creater1
In response to veejer

Love this thread. Such creative ideas. TFS

Lenethren
Governor
Lenethren
In response to cshortel

• cshortel Said:
Or maybe alter my Cold Survival Kit (see my gallery) and add a small pad of paper, pencil, candy cane, etc.

Here's the poem I wrote to go with my December Survival Kit. Feel free to use it:

December can be so busy
Rushing from here to there,
There’s not time to get things done
Let alone have it to spare.

So here’s a little something
To help you out a bit.
I hope that you enjoy
Your December survival kit.

Perfect! So glad this was posted.

southern lady
Governor
southern lady
In response to Lenethren

keep them come pleass

Bug4115
Resident
Bug4115
In response to emarie

I'm making my own cards for everyone this year. I found a pattern where i can put candles or goodies in them I'm going to try out.

southern lady
Governor
southern lady
In response to Bug4115

show us the pic when your done

dezignarob
Tenant
dezignarob

All my friends and relatives now have one of everything that I make. Over the years they have received loom knitted hats, beaded bags, fleece beanies and scarfs, art dolls, and crochet plarn totes.

I think I'm down to Kindle gift cards, I-pad sleeves, and mini-albums. Oh wait, that's not so bad. Thanks for getting me thinking.

ElinH
ElinH 
New Kid On the Block
ElinH
  • ElinH on 12-08-11 05:13 AM

Im decorating cleass glass ornametns and give away.

Mum last year gave a way christmas-goats.
That might be only a swedish tradition, but its essentialy a goat shaped thing usuallt out of hay-straws but mum made them out of pine branches and decorated them with red ribbons. They were in the size of goats and used as decorations outside of pepoles houses.

Google image search for julbock and you will get an idea of how they look.

There are also tonnes of nice tuts on christmas whreaths wich is a good gift, appriciated by many.

veejer
veejer 
Resident
veejer
In response to ElinH

I finally found a crafty gift idea on Pinterest. The problem I have is a gift exchange with a group of friends (13 people, including me) so it can become rather expensive and not everybody likes everything. I know a few won't like the necklaces (she won't wear anything around her neck and even tears collars off her shirt a la "Flashdance") but oh well. I'm making rolled t-shirt scarves/necklaces, braided chain necklaces and flower pins to coordinate with both. I don't have pics of these, but you can google and find a few different tutorials on the scarves. The flower pins are turning out really cute, and I may keep making them well after the holidays!

davidsm8
New Kid On the Block
davidsm8
In response to cshortel

Those nine little tags might be thinking they're for your other future projects so they might not show up now, their replacements might be just in front of you. Replace them with red triangular cut outs of anything then put cotton to make the triangles like Christmas hats.

Edited by davidsm8 on 07-09-12 08:36 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

southern lady
Governor
southern lady
In response to enling112010

bump

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny

This is a stickied thread, it really doesn't need to be bumped. Needs the gold-farming spam reported and mopped, but doesn't need bumped.

New Kid On the Block

Christmas tree made of Wax,is my best christmas gift ever.

kkmalaika
Tenant
kkmalaika
In response to buggainok

Yes Buggainok that's exactly what I though when I saw the french fries project, I'll just go get one (or several) from Mcdonalds. Then I'll just alter them, they'll make great containers for xmas chocolates for my kid's teachers..

Edited by kkmalaika on 09-03-13 01:37 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

mrsrogers52513
Pro
mrsrogers52513
In response to kkmalaika

It's time to start thinking about this!

mindygail
Expert
mindygail

all great ideas!!!
I have been thinking over doing a little coffee sleeve book with the title A Year In Review!!!!
(cute huh)????
Problem is I am on a TIGHT budget and I need to start printing on my stupid hp all in one printer copier scanner and begin putting them together of all kinds of things!!!!!!!
BTW, for the pages of the books should I use more coffee sleeves or copierr or cardstock pages???? need ideas!!!
mg

RedSquirrel UK
Diva
RedSquirrel UK
In response to mindygail

• mindygail Said:
all great ideas!!!
I have been thinking over doing a little coffee sleeve book with the title A Year In Review!!!!
(cute huh)????
Problem is I am on a TIGHT budget and I need to start printing on my stupid hp all in one printer copier scanner and begin putting them together of all kinds of things!!!!!!!
BTW, for the pages of the books should I use more coffee sleeves or copierr or cardstock pages???? need ideas!!!
mg

I've seen coffee sleeve books, they look adorable. You can use the coffee sleeves as pockets to put tags in. A year in review could have two tags in each pocket, one tag per month, you'd only need 6 sleeves, or 7 if you wanted a separate front and back cover.

Or you could use the coffee sleeves as only the front and back cover, and cereal packet pages in between. Of course, they won't be acid-free, but then neither are the coffee sleeves. Lots of fun!

mrsrogers52513
Pro
mrsrogers52513
In response to RedSquirrel UK

A few years ago I did the cookie sheet calendars I found on here somewhere. Don't ask me where...lol. I made like 8 of them...they turned out amazing!

RedSquirrel UK
Diva
RedSquirrel UK
In response to mrsrogers52513

I did a cookie sheet calendar last year. It was a complete flop. It's still sitting on top of a box in my craft room, too much effort and nice paper to throw away, no good for anything. Ah well, I tried.

mrsrogers52513
Pro
mrsrogers52513
In response to RedSquirrel UK

Aw, what happened? I do admit it was a ton of work, and I went to my mom's house the other day and she doesn't even have it up! Makes me mad.

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny

That's why I typically do not give handmade gifts unless the person has specifically requested one, or if they have a very long history of admiring my work. Handmade gifts are not universally the best possible gift; the best gift is something the recipient actually wants, and if what they want is a book or game or crafting tool, that isn't something I can make for them. It's the thought that counts, people say, but the thought only counts if the thought actually involved considering the recipient's wishes. I also don't like giving people the gift of guilt-inducing clutter.

RedSquirrel UK
Diva
RedSquirrel UK

• mrsrogers52513 Said:
Aw, what happened? I do admit it was a ton of work, and I went to my mom's house the other day and she doesn't even have it up! Makes me mad.

Aw what a shame. It isn't in her bedroom? I make a photo calendar each year for Mum and MIL/FIL. Mum's is designed for her kitchen fridge door, but she hangs it in her bedroom instead.

Apologies, my flop was an Advent calendar not a year calendar. Just about everything was wrong with it - the colours didn't contrast enough, I had too many layers of paper for the magnets to stick through, the stamped images were too big - aagh. Just a failure. I might have another go at it this year. We'll see.

dorichatelain
Resident
dorichatelain

I am looking for a place I can get some kind of wild animal statue to paint for my husband. I live in southern oregon and have nothing her in town. I have to go to the Portland Oregon area to find a place. I am thinking of ceramic or plaster

Help in finding a place would be greatly appreciated.

Eager to Scrap
Veteran
Eager to Scrap
In response to AK_Carter

Love the altered collage frame idea. thanks for sharing

Eager to Scrap
Veteran
Eager to Scrap
In response to Tree_Texas

An idea i think is cute, is: A small, cute, jar with lid. Fill it full with candy corn and peanuts. Tie rafia just under the lid. Cut out a small square of pretty card stock with your edged scissors and tie to the jar with the rafia for a note: "Just because" "Merry Christmas" etc. So cute and soooooo good. Tastes like a Payday.

Edited by Eager to Scrap on 10-09-13 11:03 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

texlady
Diva
texlady
In response to Eager to Scrap

I want to make a ABC book out of very sturdy material for my 3 yr old Great Nephew. He is still in the banging, pulling, destroying stage. Any ideas.

avidpapercrafter
New Kid On the Block
avidpapercrafter

Anybody use Sizzix framelits? I'm wondering how easy to use they are. I want to try one for a Christmas project, but I don't want to spend a lot of time on a project....I get too busy this time of year.

Edited by avidpapercrafter on 11-03-14 09:23 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

mddanie
Veteran
mddanie
In response to texlady

sb.com sells plain chipboard in 12 x 12 squares for a very affordable price. I use it as my mini album and art journal covers pretty frequently. It is sturdy enough that when my friend's kiddos toss my art journal across the room (happens quite often) that it holds up...Also, you can "toughen it up" with a thick coat of modge podge or other kid saliva friendly sealer.

southern lady
Governor
southern lady
In response to mddanie

well I am make a family tree for my grandma for Christmas. I am use a float frame and use vinyl and use my cameo. I am going to put everyone name on the tree. I am just try to figure out how to put everyone name on the tree. for my sister I bought a cork coaster where I probably put here name and maybe her boyfriend name on it use vinyl and use my cameo.

southgirl
Expert
southgirl

Framelits work just like thin dies with a little sandwich adjustment.

I am making "let it snow" banners for most of my Christmas presents.
Let It Snow banner By Southgirl
with a little adjustment. Instead of ribbon I am going to use white tulle.

Edited by southgirl on 09-14-15 09:02 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

flhomeschoolmom
Guru
flhomeschoolmom
In response to southgirl

I am making a junk journal for my 14 yr. old niece. She's a hard one to get ANYHING for because if you ask her what she wants, she usually says one of two things "I don't know", or "whatever you get will be fine"! Her and my oldest son are so much alike it's sometimes scary.

I do know that she keeps a journal, I know that she likes to dabble with scrapbooking but doesn't get to keep any "formal scrapbooks" because her mom keeps them. Her mom keeps a LOT of things. She likes to draw, she's very active in school and has some amazing academic achievements that she's proud of, she has several friends (some of which do not go to her school, but do go to her church). So, I figured that if I gave her a junk journal, then she could use it for a journal, use it for a smash book, or draw in it.

bears99
Diva
bears99
In response to flhomeschoolmom

South girl, I checked out your let it snow banner and it is very pretty!!

Homeschool mom, I also like the idea of a junk journal because then she can keep whatever kind of treasures in it she wants to...from her private thoughts to mementoes from so of her activities. It sounds like. Wonderful gift!

I love the ideas I have gotten from this thread and I am happy to see it active again.

flhomeschoolmom
Guru
flhomeschoolmom
In response to bears99

My oldest son who is now 16, made my grandmother a Christmas card when he was 5. I wanted him to draw her a tree on the card, but he didn't. The card base was construction paper. He took a real pinecone apart and used it to make a tree. He overlapped it an everything. Then he used glitter and glue to decorate it, drew a tree base with a crayon and wrote "Merry Cristmas" on it with a marker. On the inside he wrote "I you" (he drew the heart) and signed his name. She put that card in her apartment window every holiday season for several years so she could show it off to her neighbors. She told me a few years ago that she sadly had to stop displaying it because the paper had faded and was becoming fragile so she now his it put away with her "treasures". She's 85 now, and she raised me so I sort of knew when he made that card that she would love it. She is VERY sentimental. But, it did cost us almost $2 to mail that card. Pinecones are good craft materials, but a wee bit heavy.

southgirl
Expert
southgirl

Why not get him to make another for her?

notanavgblond
Mayor
notanavgblond
In response to southgirl

I stumbled on to this site today. It gives you a PDF to customize gift tags from Santa. Its really cute, so I printed out some for my nieces and nephew...and some for DD too.

http://www.threelittlemonkeysstudio.com/santas-special-...

flhomeschoolmom
Guru
flhomeschoolmom
In response to southgirl

• southgirl Said:
Why not get him to make another for her?

Because now he has gotten out of the crafty phase and no longer wants to make things. He has transitioned from making cute cards to attempting to write novels. Sometimes I have to remind myself that he's not a "little boy" anymore, he's now a Junior in High School and at times acts like one.

southgirl
Expert
southgirl

OIC....Teenager.

flhomeschoolmom
Guru
flhomeschoolmom
In response to southgirl

Yep. He's a very nice and polite teenage boy (thank God), but he is a teenage boy. But an odd one...instead of being interested in watching sports he'd rather read encyclopedias (done this for years), instead of being interested in dating he'd rather help kids on a gaming forum on the Wii, instead of going out with friends his age he'd rather help take care of his great grandmother and spend time talking with his mentally and physically handicapped great aunt (she's 70 but thinks like she's 10 or 11). Years ago, he taught her how to read...but she forgot again because she stopped doing it everyday. My son did not understand how she "forgot" how to read.

aprilhitebreen
New Kid On the Block
aprilhitebreen
In response to buggainok

this is mailboxes I made as Christmas [image]https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=937052106367363& amp;set=a.707520629320513.1073741831.100001877476671&type= 3[/image] gifts

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=937052106367363...

Joanie R
Guru
Joanie R
In response to aprilhitebreen

Those look awesome! The detail is amazing. Wonderful job and thanks for sharing!

Page 5 of 5 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics