Page 1 of 5 
Username Post: CHRISTMAS GIFT IDEA THREAD        (Topic#1385857)
gg  loves Matthew
Queen
gg  loves Matthew

With Christmas just around the corner I got to thinking it might be a good idea to start a thread with links to the things you will be crafting for others as gifts. Might help give us all ideas!

Of course there are always gift certificates to sb.com Superstore (plug plug)
(think since I gave a "plug" Megan will make this a sticky thread? )

So, just post your ideas and links here for all to share! And thanks if you do!

I have attached two links here for the library....one is for Christmas quotes and the other is for Christmas titles. You might be able to use them on your projects!

X-mas quotes

X-mas Titles

CAN'T WAIT TO SEE WHAT YOU COME UP WITH!!

Edited by Megan - ForumTech on 10-06-07 11:31 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

buggainok
Idol
buggainok
In response to gg loves Matthew

Here is a cute one I saved from hdsue:

Cute French Frie Boxes

And another one from Lauren Reid:

Christmas Ornament

ottawascrapper
Expert
ottawascrapper
In response to buggainok

i was thinking of making my mother a grandmother memory box and using a plain phoo box i bought from michaels and redoing it if any one has made one can you send me a link PLEASE i have never altered anything before and it would be great for some ideas
love this thread idea

Snix
Snix 
Mayor
Snix
  • Snix on 10-15-06 09:34 AM
In response to ottawascrapper

Ooh, I love that Christmas ornament one! Thanks for that idea!

sovip
sovip 
Pro
sovip
  • sovip on 10-15-06 10:34 AM
In response to Snix

I love that french fry box, can you post directions/instructions on the thread somewhere or pm me please!!

craftgirl
Guru
craftgirl
In response to sovip

I agree - can I get the instructions for the ff box?

For gifts - I'm making covers for pocket planners, calanders, and checkbooks for the ladies. Haven't come up with anything for the guys. For my mil and sil I'm going to take name badge holders and make a mini album of the kids. Recipe album for my grandma...and that's all the projects at the moment .

annak
annak 
Idol
annak
  • annak on 10-15-06 11:24 AM
In response to craftgirl

Toy Box Album
This is what I am making for my bf's dd. Inside is a chipboard album and will have photos of her favourite toys.

ashtonsmommy
Governor
ashtonsmommy
In response to annak

I am amking my calendars as usual! I've been working on them all year and they are winding down to being done!

New Kid On the Block
In response to annak

I always like to crochet christmas ornaments, fridgies, or dishcloths.

Also, you can get clear glass ornaments from Michael's or AC Moore and let your imagination run wild with those. My eldest daughter has painted one per year for the past 7 years and this year my youngest will be doing the same! :-D

Also, my daughter made a bird-feeder ornament one year in girlscouts. They took a baloon, wrapped it with twine and glued the twine on. They then popped the balloon leaving a twine ball, cut out a hold and filled it with some grass (the fake kind you always see around easter) and a toy bird.

It's adorable and has been on our tree every year since!

Edited by Susan.R on 10-15-06 11:31 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

buggainok
Idol
buggainok
In response to Susan.R

About the French Frie Box:

I found this in hdsue's gallery. You would have to ask her about a pattern. I thought I might just make one up from looking at the photo, or maybe go to McDonald's and ask for an empty box!

luv2scrap1968
Veteran
luv2scrap1968
In response to buggainok

I just uploaded a French Fry box pattern to my gallery, for those of you looking for one. I made three different sizes, Sm, Med, and Large, and they are super cute!!
Here is the link:
French Fry box pattern

buggainok
Idol
buggainok
In response to luv2scrap1968

Thanks so much for the French Fry pattern. It looks easy to make and super-cute!

I'm going to get some Christmas colors cardstock at Michaels and make a bunch and decorate with Christmas ribbons and stamps. (8-1/2 x 11 packs are on sale this week for $1.99)

riorabbit
Queen
riorabbit
In response to buggainok

I was thinking about some of those bg lunch pails. Here are a few ideas.

Card holder/organizer- Decorate the outside and little tabbed dividers. Have one divider that holds postage stamps. I would make some sort of little pocket on it. Then have one tab that is for addresses. If you make it for a friend or family member that might not have all of the current family addies include them there. Then the other dividers would be by month. Maybe even have a list on each one for occasions during that month. Things like bdays and anniversaries. I might even include a stack of hand made cards and envelopes.

Recipe holder- decorate it the outside. The inside could just have dividers for the recipient to fill. You could fill it with favorite recipes. Or you could add one recipe for a yummy treat that you love and a small bag of the treat (I am thinking fudge or cookies!). Oh, you could also include a gift card for a grocery store on the inside.

D3inKs
D3inKs 
Idol
D3inKs
In response to riorabbit

I had this thread saved. It was posted by Luv2scrapTN.

Gift Basket Ideas

Anonymous 
  • Anonymous on 10-15-06 02:55 PM
In response to D3inKs

What, in the name of good common sense, would you put in a french fry box besides french fries? Those are so cute, but I don't know if that's something I could do without knowing what to put in them.

I was thinking of making all kinds of things this year (money is pretty tight) and we are drawing names as a new tradition, but I'd love to give each person just a little something from my heart.
I thought about a calendar for my sister and brother and their families. And now I'm stumped. Anyone know where I can get calendars that you craft on? I'm very confused.

ottawascrapper
Expert
ottawascrapper
In response to GrandmaMichelf

i was thinking you could put cookies in it line the inside with wax paper

Manda_K
Queen
Manda_K

Good idea!! Or small wrapped candies and hang them like ornaments! The small ones would be good for that!

luuuuv2scrap
Idol
luuuuv2scrap

Here is a link to an ornament I made last year for gifts (actually my 6 yr. old helped make them for her teachers). They look difficult but are so easy. Directions are under the pic in my gallery...Stamped Glass Ball Ornament

shanismom
Guru
shanismom
In response to luuuuv2scrap

HI,
i just want to thank all the ladies with great ideas...this is going to be my first yr making x-mas gift myself..

i wanted to make calendars and i have no idea how to do ...... i would really appreciate if someone can post instructions how to make them... thank you all.......

Jennifer Priest
Governor
Jennifer Priest
In response to shanismom

• shanismom Said:
HI,
i just want to thank all the ladies with great ideas...this is going to be my first yr making x-mas gift myself..

i wanted to make calendars and i have no idea how to do ...... i would really appreciate if someone can post instructions how to make them... thank you all.......

You cna buy pre-printed calendar bases from Close to My Heart (email me if interested), Leaving Prints, Karen Foster , Stampin Up, and a few other companies. Then you just stamp or decorate the pages.

Another thing you can do it print the calendar pages on your computer and then decorate them. Take them to Kinko's or one of those copy stores and they will bind them for about $2-5 each.

Provo Craft makes an inexpensive binding tool like th eone they have at Kinko-s if you want to invest in that sort of thing--I think it is about $40.

You could also bind it with ribbon or some binder rings--the Crop A Dile will punch through all your page like butter or you can just use an eyelet punch to make holes int he pages. It might look nice if you finish the holes with eyelets too.

I have done pocket calendars before too--you can get these from any store for 50 cents to about $1. Just pull it out of the plastic cover, decorate the paper cover and reinsert int he plastic. A friend of mine hasa Precious Moments one she did not like so she coverdd and decoarted the cover adn now it is her own.

HTH

msvicc
msvicc 
Pro
msvicc
In response to shanismom

What great ideas. That little bird-feeder ornament sounds adorable. TFS all ideas.

Jennifer Priest
Governor
Jennifer Priest
In response to GrandmaMichelf

• michele54 Said:
What, in the name of good common sense, would you put in a french fry box besides french fries? Those are so cute, but I don't know if that's something I could do without knowing what to put in them.

Anyone know where I can get calendars that you craft on? I'm very confused.

How about candies in the frenh fry box? Just put a cello bag inside, fill with candy, and tie the top with raffia or ribbon. You can customize it to each person my putting their favorite candy in them. You can also do snowman poop (marshmallows) or reindeer poop (raisins), or coal (black jelly beans). Organized Christmas .com has some cut printables for each of those and these are fun stocking stuffers.

You couls alos make mini cards and put a few in each, like a birthday card, thank you and so on for them to use throughout the year. You can use scraps to make the cards.

As far as calendars, I posted a long list for another person. Close to mY heart has several sizs from wall size down to reminder size.

HTH

Jennifer Priest
Governor
Jennifer Priest
In response to craftgirl

• craftgirl Said:
I agree - can I get the instructions for the ff box?

For gifts - I'm making covers for pocket planners, calanders, and checkbooks for the ladies. Haven't come up with anything for the guys. For my mil and sil I'm going to take name badge holders and make a mini album of the kids. Recipe album for my grandma...and that's all the projects at the moment .

I bet you could make your own pattern by using an old french fry box--just take it apart and then trace a non-greasy pattern from it. Or if you just ask, I bet any fast food place would give you one.

Jennifer Priest
Governor
Jennifer Priest
In response to Jennifer Priest

I usually make alot of stuff at Christmas. Every year I bake for everyone--this is a family tradition that has been passed down for several generations. My recipes are top secret and everyone has their favorites---like my Uncle always gets his very own box of fudge! The cookies actually cost me about $200 to make beucase I make them for so many people. SO I have to keep the packaging cheap or I woudl go broke!

My mom always put these in those Xmas tins you can get for a few dollars each but when you are talking 20 poeple, that gets expensive. Last year I did altered paint cans for everyone. The year before my daughter and I stamped snowflakes on kraft paper gift bags and attached a handmade ornament to each. The year before I covered formula and outmeal cans with kraft paper and did stencils and stamping on each. Everyone can't wait to see what I make each year and it does not cost alot. This year I am stamping and decorating tote boxes from Close to My Heart to put my cookies in.

Besides cookies, I have made other items. I made boxes of cards from scraps for my family members two years ago. Everyone loved it and now they want more cards. I made scrapbooks for my parents and sister. Mini books for other people. Lunchboxes with planners and other goodies inside. I even sold a bunch of planners on ebay and earned $1000 last year to put towards Christmas. I did alteredt paint cans filled with bath goodies for some of my friends--you can get bath puffs adn gloves at the dollar store, then get smaples from bath & body works and fill the paint can. This costs about $10 per person.

You can make coloring books for kids in your fmaily--there are tons of free pages to download off the internet and you can make the cover personalized.

Hope those ideas help--I have lots of pics of stuff I have made in my gallery.

HeatherON
Tenant
HeatherON

I hesitate to put this on here since some of my friends frequent this site. I'm hoping though that you can come up with more suggestions.

What I am doing is making or altering a CD holder and making CD's with files that my scrapbooking friends will find useful. I have some freeware programs like a graph paper printing program and a freeware giftwrap program (it prints typed words on a diagonal). The latter one was made by a cyber friend of mine - you select the font, font size and colour, type your message and it prints the whole page with your short message on the diagonal. I will do a CD with categorized free fonts or links to free fonts and a free font viewer program. I want to do a CD with links to websites that might be useful like templates, clipart, stamping and embossing, iris folding techniques etc.

It's going to take awhile to organize this but any suggestions on programs or items to add would be great.

Jennifer Priest
Governor
Jennifer Priest
In response to HeatherON

How about some free fonts?

rtolin
rtolin 
Veteran
rtolin

Love this thread. I just saw in oriental trading co some of those paper note cubes that are blank white. I thought that I might stamp on the side and personalize with teacher's names. Also in catalog were blank checkbook covers and other items. Now, with this thread, my head is swimming!

Anonymous 
  • Anonymous on 10-16-06 04:38 AM
In response to rtolin

Wow, chococat, you sure make a lot of stuff! And what wonderful ideas! I think my DD and I will have tons of fun trying to pull this together. Thanks for the great ideas. I'm going to look at your gallery and see what you've got there to give me some inspiration (good grief, my brain is so fried! I couldn't remember how to spell "inspiration"!!!

And now work is going to interfere with my new ideas! How rude!

Ande
Ande 
Diva
Ande
  • Ande on 10-16-06 04:42 AM
In response to rtolin

I used Clip art from PCCrafter on Iron on Transfer paper and made my Daycare kids Night Shirts out of Mens Hanes white T-Shirts. They loved them.,,

apa kabar
Queen
apa kabar
In response to Ande

Just found this thread... What a great idea! I'm always looking for inspirations for Christmas gifts.

Anyway, I remember reading somewhere in this board about altering candles by putting pictures on them, but I can't find the thread. Does anybody have a step-by-step instruction for that? Thanks a lot!

buggainok
Idol
buggainok
In response to apa kabar

I made sets of cute little note cards and put matching liners in ready-made envelopes I got at Office Depot. Then I got Pentel RSVP pens and altered them to match.

They are the kind of pens with the clear barrel. You can take them apart, wrap ribbon around the ink cartridge and secure with a glue dot, then put them back together. Then you tie ribbons on the cap. I also used some self-adhesive rhinestones to decorate the cap. Very, very cute and so simple.

I made 8 sets for my many "grown-up girls" in the family.

luv2scrap1968
Veteran
luv2scrap1968
In response to apa kabar

Here is the link to the altered candles... I found it the other day, and I think I am going to try it and see how it turns out.

Altered Candles

Rachel

TXScrapper
Diva
TXScrapper

Altered coasters is another idea. Start with a small ceramic tile. You can buy these for $1 at Lowe's, Home Depot, etc. Some tile store will give you a few as samples. Cover with the paper of your choice, wrapping a small piece around the back on each side. Cut a piece of felt to cover the back. Decorate the top any way you want. Think of it as a mini layout. When you are finished cover it with a couple layers of Mod Podge or similar product to seal it. These would make great gifts for Grandparents with pictures of each grandkid on a separate coaster.

buggainok
Idol
buggainok

Here is a scan of an example of the sets of cards and pens I made. Sorry for the quality of the scan, but you can get the idea. I made them to match, but these colors scanned better.

Handmade note card, lined envelope, and decorated pen

ZoesMum
Expert
ZoesMum
In response to buggainok

This thread is such a great idea! I used to make a lot of ornaments, and will have to dig some out and take pics. My idea for this year is to actually make ornaments out of old CD's - so I guess that would be "altered CD's". Just seemed like a good "base" for the ornament, and I saw someone do an altered CD on a LO, but for the life of me can't remember who (sorry whoever you are!!).

craftgirl
Guru
craftgirl
In response to ZoesMum

I am LOVING this thread! So many great ideas that I don't know where to start!

sarahsarah
Idol
sarahsarah
In response to craftgirl

This looks pretty darn cute!!

Conversation Tray

gg  loves Matthew
Queen
gg  loves Matthew
In response to sarahsarah

WOWIE!!!!! I WAS AWAY FROM MY PUTER SINCE I MADE THIS THREAD AND HOPING Y'ALL WERE LOVING IT!!! NOW WITH ALL THESE GREAT IDEAS, I KNOW YOU DO!!! WAAAA HOOOOO!!! KEEP THOSE IDEAS COMING! DON'T FORGET TO POST PICTURES...THEY ARE REALLY HELPFUL TO OTHERS!

ClickClick
Diva
ClickClick
In response to gg loves Matthew

This is such an awesome thread!! I have already picked up some great ideas!! Thanks so much!

buggainok
Idol
buggainok
In response to ClickClick

Here is another one that looks really cute and easy. It is a paper bowl - not paper mache', but made of cardstock.

The patterns have to be enlarged, so I just went to Kinkos and did that. The one they show in the picture is sort of plain, but I think you could easily embellish it with ribbons, etc. to really jazz it up.

Paper Bowl made with Cardstock

scrappy77
Diva
scrappy77
In response to buggainok

Rachel - I love those candles, I saw hers before, but I want to make some, they would be a great gift. Wouldn't the persone receiving it be so surprised when they see a picture on it?

I have only altered 2 frames and a soup can! But I did finish one frame last night for a Christmas gift. It's the $1 frame at Michaels and it's so cute! I have to add a photo to my gallery still. But for the price they are worth it!

kellmill78
Idol
kellmill78
In response to scrappy77

I'm making an advent calendar for my MIL (it's actually for her bday which also falls in Dec). It's a flip calendar and will have various holiday pics from over the years on all of the 25 pages. I figured that way she can get it out year after year at Christmas time and enjoy looking back on the pictures from past years.

I'm also making a box to hold cards for my mom. I'm going to include as many cards as I have time to make in it as well. She loves handmade cards but is not into crafting herself so I think she'll like it.

For my kids I"m putting together a special 8x8 album for each of them that shows their growth month to month from the 1st year of their life. My youngest won't get hers this year since she's still in the 1st year of her life, but the boys will get theirs at least I hope!! I don't know if I'm going to have enough time to get all of this done!

Another idea I considered was altering a kleenex box cover. I've seen this done before and it's so cute. There are probably some in the gallery and I've seen kleenex box covers that can be altered in oriental trading mags.

ottawascrapper
Expert
ottawascrapper
In response to scrappy77

what did you make the soup can for i am curious never heard of altering a soup can

gg  loves Matthew
Queen
gg  loves Matthew

up the chimney

sportsmom1
Pro
sportsmom1

I love the FF box! What a great teacher's gift idea!! You could put about anything small in them. I always get my kids a gift from "Santa Mouse" that they find hanging on the tree Christmas morning. I could put things like hot wheels, lip gloss, makeup, gameboy games, or just about anything little in them! Thank you!!! One thing I did last year is make motebooks for everyone. Super easy! I just took a composition notebook and covered it with pp and used ribbon to tie in the middle. I attached an envelope on the inside for reciepts. I use mine every year to keep track of my Christmas reciepts for exchanges and so on. It's a great way to keep track of what you have and still need for everyone on your list. I will post a picture soon.

buggainok
Idol
buggainok
In response to sportsmom1

Here is another great idea from a recent thread:

Paper Flowers in a Vase - Cute, Cute!

ottawascrapper
Expert
ottawascrapper
In response to buggainok

thast is cute

kellmill78
Idol
kellmill78

Those flowers in a vase are SO cute, what a neat idea !!

apa kabar
Queen
apa kabar

• luv2scrap1968 Said:
Here is the link to the altered candles... I found it the other day, and I think I am going to try it and see how it turns out.

Altered Candles

Rachel

Wow! This doesn't sound complicated at all! Thanks for the link, Rachel!

buggainok
Idol
buggainok
In response to apa kabar

Bumping back up. Don't want this thread to get lost before Christmas!

rtolin
rtolin 
Veteran
rtolin
In response to buggainok

I altered soup cans to hold things in at school. Particularly, I hold popsicle sticks with students names in them. They turned out really cute -- just smaller versions of paint cans!

Roxeeroo
Veteran
Roxeeroo

great ideas

smileyfacegirl80
Idol
smileyfacegirl80
In response to Roxeeroo

Love all the ideas here! I'll try to come up with some and share too

Mommy2Four
Pro
Mommy2Four
In response to smileyfacegirl80

I found a few square tins at some yard sales this year. (Hopefully) I'm going to alter one of them with paper and embellish it for my grandmother for Christmas. Inside, I'm going to put some pens, envelopes, and postage stamps for her use. Not sure what else to buy for someone who "has everything". I figure, this way she doesnt have to run out to the post office in the winter. Also, I purchase gift cards for my nieces and nephews, and I'm going to try to alter an altoids mint tin. Does anyone happen to know if they are the right size for this? Keep the ideas coming, I love this thread!!!

Mommy2Four
Pro
Mommy2Four
In response to Mommy2Four

bumping up!

crsiah
crsiah 
Veteran
crsiah
In response to buggainok

Thanks for the idea's. that is really cool.

Valorie

Mrs. Woods
Veteran
Mrs. Woods
In response to crsiah

OMG!! I am so glad I found this thread!! I had been wanting to make homemade X-Mas gifts, but I could not think of what to make, I am not the least bit creative!! You girls are a lifesaver!!

tracys3sons
Expert
tracys3sons
In response to Mrs. Woods

I'm thinking of getting those big clothespins and altering them (they're about 6 inches tall) and putting the kids school pictures in them. Great stocking stuffers.

luv2scrap1968
Veteran
luv2scrap1968
In response to tracys3sons

where do you find the giant clothespins?? I haven't seen around here.
Thanks,
Rachel

KatyKatsMama
Pro
KatyKatsMama

Don't have any pics to link yet, but I'm making a calendar & an altered clipboard for the grand p's. I'm almost finished with an altered PC lunch box that is actually a bday gift for my best friend that is a "holiday helper"-- tabs for card list (a season of giving), wish list (naughty or nice?), tree trimming (deck the halls), cookies (merry munchies), the Bible story of Christ's birth (the reason for the season), traditions, carols (can't remember right now what I called that one)

craftgirl
Guru
craftgirl
In response to KatyKatsMama

I found the giant clothepins in the new Oriental trading catalog. They are pretty inexpensive - thought I'd give them a try!! I love all these ideas!! Keep 'em coming, Ladies!!

Bev1
Bev1 
Guru
Bev1
  • Bev1 on 10-19-06 02:15 PM
In response to KatyKatsMama

Yesterday at our lss I found checkbook covers to be altered. VERY economical, cute & useful I only paid $1.99 (of couse I have everything else at home). They are made by Creative Imaginations and don't come with paper etc.Comes with monthly calendar.

Edited by Bev1 on 10-19-06 02:16 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Jennifer Priest
Governor
Jennifer Priest
In response to TXScrapper

• TXScrapper Said:
Altered coasters is another idea. Start with a small ceramic tile. You can buy these for $1 at Lowe's, Home Depot, etc. Some tile store will give you a few as samples. Cover with the paper of your choice, wrapping a small piece around the back on each side. Cut a piece of felt to cover the back. Decorate the top any way you want. Think of it as a mini layout. When you are finished cover it with a couple layers of Mod Podge or similar product to seal it. These would make great gifts for Grandparents with pictures of each grandkid on a separate coaster.

You can also stamp directly one these with Staz-On then color with those Fabrico permanenet markers. Seal with a water proof sealer spray , put some little cork circles on the bottom and poof--custom coasters.

Jennifer Priest
Governor
Jennifer Priest
In response to Bev1

• Bev1 Said:
Yesterday at our lss I found checkbook covers to be altered. VERY economical, cute & useful I only paid $1.99 (of couse I have everything else at home). They are made by Creative Imaginations and don't come with paper etc.Comes with monthly calendar.

Stampin Up also sells them if I remember correctly.

ClickClick
Diva
ClickClick

evilbay has them too where you can get a bunch for cheap. I got 10 for $3.00

ottawascrapper
Expert
ottawascrapper
In response to ClickClick

i heard of peopole altering altoids tins
what would you use them for?
if any of you have pics of some altered can u send me a pic or a link so i can see i have like six of them thought i would try toalter

~Chere~
Diva
~Chere~
In response to buggainok

I just made some candles yesterday with a digi kit printed onto tissue paper in my gallery...so easy and would make a great gift!

http://www.scrapbook.com/scrapbook_layouts/showphoto.ph...

buggainok
Idol
buggainok
In response to ~Chere~

I love the look of the altered candles, both with photos, and your technique with tissue paper.

But, tell me, won't the paper catch fire when the candle burns down?

gg  loves Matthew
Queen
gg  loves Matthew

• ottawascrapper Said:
i heard of peopole altering altoids tins
what would you use them for?
if any of you have pics of some altered can u send me a pic or a link so i can see i have like six of them thought i would try toalter

I have seen them covered with sb paper, felt, fabric, paint and the insides had accordian albums, just 1 photo, sewing kits, homemade magnets, atc (altered trading cards).....etc

I think there are endless things you can do with them...I will try and dig up some photos somewhere for you

~Chere~
Diva
~Chere~
In response to buggainok

• buggainok Said:
I love the look of the altered candles, both with photos, and your technique with tissue paper.

But, tell me, won't the paper catch fire when the candle burns down?

I don't know...I haven't let them burn down that far yet! I put the tissue paper around the bottoms of the larger candles...I'll let you know

reyasunshine
Diva
reyasunshine
In response to apa kabar

I made bookmarks for my husband and me, but I think they would make great gifts.