Page 2 of 5 
Username Post: CHRISTMAS GIFT IDEA THREAD        (Topic#1385857)
cma2a17
Governor
cma2a17
In response to AndreaO

I agree - the candle warmers do melt the candles. I have them placed throughout my house and you have to use candles in glass jars. I love using them cause they never burn up your candle!

These are GREAT ideas ladies! Keep them coming!

simplymisty
Tenant
simplymisty
In response to AndreaO

Hey everyone. I promised to post my christmas gifts as I completed them. I just completed a name frame for my friends little girl. I think it turned out fabulous...for my first one! Hope it's helpful...they're perfect for little kids...or you can scrap a family's Last Name, or make a "Welcome" sign or something!!...just a thought. CHECK OUT MY GALLERY...it's called NAME FRAME

buggainok
Idol
buggainok
In response to simplymisty

Misty, this is adorable!! Great job. She will love it.

sportsmom1
Pro
sportsmom1
In response to buggainok

This is so cute! I may have to do one for my neice!

AndreaO
Idol
AndreaO
In response to sportsmom1

Misty, that is sweet. I like the ribbon knots! Great idea for a gift!!

Roxeeroo
Veteran
Roxeeroo
In response to AndreaO

wow great ideas!! Thank you all for sharing.

buggainok
Idol
buggainok
In response to Roxeeroo

Here is a cute idea: Make pillowcases from Christmas fabric. You can make a pillowcase from one yard of fabric. Then you give them to the children on December 1, with this poem attached:

"December the first starts a magical time,
With all sorts of colors, ribbons, and rhyme...
Sugar plum fairies will dance in your head....
If you put this special pillowcase on your bed.
The reason it's special, as you will soon see
Is that it's been dusted with Christmas Fantasy!
Visions of candy canes, Santa and treasures
Will fill each dream with sweetness and pleasures.
When the time comes for it to be washed,
Do it quickly so no magic is lost."

I found this on a Christmas craft site and I'm going to make them for my grandkids.

Creationsbylisamarie
Pro
Creationsbylisamarie
In response to buggainok

OMG! I love that poem. I am going to do it for my nephew and anyone else I can think of!! How sweet.

I don't know if I can make the pillows so maybe I will just go and buy pillows already made with Christmas themes.

buggainok
Idol
buggainok
In response to Creationsbylisamarie

Glad you like it, Lisa.

You don't have to make pillows, just pillow cases. They are so simple, just get a yard of fabric, measure a pillowcase you already have,
trim the fabric if you need to, and sew up the sides. Most anyone can make a pillow case. Good luck!

P.S. Just sent you a pm with a good link for a pattern to make pillowcases.

GiRLYTEENAGER
Veteran
GiRLYTEENAGER
In response to AK_Carter

• Sarai Carter Said:
Here is something I made this weekend that I am thinking about using for a Christmas gift. It is similar to what people do with Antique window frames, except I couldn't find an antique frame in time, so I tried a collage frame. I think it turned out well...

Altered Collage Frame

I was thinking of doing this too but didn't know how to start or how I should do it. This is wonderful and now I have a better idea of how i want to do mine. TFS!!

And simplymisty, i LOVE the NAME FRAME. Thanks for the inspiration.

Maz109
Maz109 
Veteran
Maz109
In response to AndreaO

I really haven't been able to get much done. But, I did make some bookmarks for my granddaughter as she is an avid reader. Because she will read two books at a time, I made a few bookmarks.

Also I am working on a scrapbook for my daughter, of my grandchildren about the events of the year.

Maz109

scrappintexan
Tenant
scrappintexan
In response to Jennifer Priest

All great ideas! I did the french fry holders for Halloween. I made them for some of the extra special kids in the neighborhood. I filled them with lots of candy. I wrapped the end of the suckers with ribbon. They were very cute. I also stamped the outsides with bats and put a ribbon on there. When I was at Whataburger asking for the clean ff holder, he gave me every size and also an apple pie holder. This is great! I thought that I would me those and put gift cards in there and tie with ribbon around it. I'll post when I do one. I am also going to do the paint buckets and fill them with goodies as well. Sorry this ended up being more of a wrapping post than gift post.

Tree_Texas
Veteran
Tree_Texas
In response to scrappintexan

OH!! That sounds great for the apple pie holder! I can't wait to ask for a clean one at my fast McDonalds!! I don't go to Whatburger very often! Thanks for that idea. I was not sure of the ff, but maybe I will try them, too. Something new! Thanks ladies for all of these ideas! They are wonderful!!!!

mandj
mandj 
New Kid On the Block
mandj
  • mandj on 11-06-06 10:44 PM
In response to luuuuv2scrap

I have a friend who stamps on tissue paper and rolls the tissue paper around candles. I am not sure how she attaches them, yet. I haven't asked but I found some nice smelling candles at the dollar store that I am going to use so my children can give them out to grandparents for christmas. She did say that it looks best if you use the same colored tissue paper as the color of the candle so it looks like you actually just stamped the candle. Looking forward to helping my boys make them. I'm hoping it's not too messy, lol.

daney
daney 
Expert
daney
  • daney on 11-07-06 01:47 PM

I scraplifted simplymisty's name frame idea - here's a link (I hope) and there are 2 pics in my gallery!!!

nameframe

kierrala
Idol
kierrala
In response to daney

What size frames are you gals using for the name frames?

They look great!

luuuuv2scrap
Idol
luuuuv2scrap
In response to daney

If anyone is looking for the clear glass bulb ornaments, AC Moore has them today for $1.97 for a 6 pack. They are usually $5.

Edited by luuuuv2scrap on 11-07-06 05:32 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

daney
daney 
Expert
daney
  • daney on 11-07-06 08:06 PM
In response to kierrala

THey are frames from the Dollar Tree - I removed the ugly pic that was in them (they are allegedly art, not empty frames) External measurement is just over 6 by 12. the inside is 5.5 x 11.

I bought one to try - and it turns out to be exactly what misty had, too - I mentioned it to her in a PM. Dollar Tree had them in black, brown and brown with tiny gold inner rim. I bought all black except 1 for my dh's elderly aunt - hers is brown.

It was super fast - the only thing left to do is to have the hanging hardware switched so it is horizontal - the original prints were vertical.

My 4 yr old wants one of her own, now! Funny.

borntoscrap
Diva
borntoscrap
In response to daney

I made these card organizers for my mother, grandmother, & MIL for Mother's Day. They would be great for Christmas gifts.

Card Organizer

tanni_83
Guru
tanni_83
In response to borntoscrap

great gift ideas ladies.

im also doing altered cans with home baked goods, tree ornaments and those name frames I'm also going to have a go at making raindears out of hand and foot prints from Miss E (for the grandparents including the great grand parents), you use the foot as the face and the hands as the antlers then just add those wobbly eyes and a red nose and paint on a mouth put a bit of sting or ribbon on the back and you can hang it on the tree. Simple, cheap and its personal

I cant wait to get started (i know i should have by now but oh well) and i cant wait to see what other ideas ppl come up with!!

I LOVE CHRISTMAS

AndreaO
Idol
AndreaO
In response to tanni_83

I'm lovin' the hand & footprint reindeer idea! I work with 7-9 year olds & I just might give this a go!! Thanks

You can make (get children to make) cards/gift tags by using your thumb and brown paint to stamp a robin's body and then your little finger & red paint to stamp it's red breast. Then draw the details and a branch underneath it.

MelissainBama
Tenant
MelissainBama
In response to AndreaO

I just joined the site today and have been loving all the Christmas gift ideas! That's been on my mind lately. I have to get busy soon! There are so many great ideas here! I also looked thru the tips and techniques gallery. Wow!!! Some wonderful things there too! Thank you so much for sharing!

BethMD
BethMD 
Resident
BethMD

I am making my mom and grandma wedding albums, very retro photos! My bf a football/coachin album very manly! And my grandma also a grandchild album!

tanni_83
Guru
tanni_83
In response to BethMD

Just a question about the christmas tree ball ornerment. How long do you make the strips of paper before curling them up?

Thanks Tanni

Anonymous 
  • Anonymous on 11-08-06 06:43 PM
In response to AndreaO

• Piscesuk1 Said:
I'm lovin' the hand & footprint reindeer idea! I work with 7-9 year olds & I just might give this a go!! Thanks

Another idea...I made outside door matts for my family one year but made snowmen instead of reindeer with my kids' footprints. I bought a plain outdoor matt and then used fabric paint, which I then sealed.

Anonymous 
  • Anonymous on 11-08-06 06:44 PM
In response to tanni_83

Does anyone have ideas/directions on different types of ornaments you can make w/ the plain glass ones? I'd love to try something!

CroppinMadeline
Diva
CroppinMadeline
In response to tanni_83

I finally decided my gift projects. YAY.
I'm made my mom a calendar the year before last and she wants another one. I used my Microsoft Home Publishing program. Just clicked on 'calendars' and it will automatically set your days and months according to the year. You can then add important birthdays to remember on it, size it to your preference, and then print it out and trim the access off (mine ended up being about 8x8 size). I printed mine on white cardstock then took it to Office Depot and had them bind it for me with the plastic spiral (which was cheap). I had fun with it! So I'm looking forward to another one for her.
I'm making a 8x8 scrapbook for my sister of old black and white pics of her in the 1950's.
I'm altering a cigar box for my step-dad for his what-nots.
Also, I'm going to try to alter one of the top-loading tins. If it doesn't turn out I'm keeping it

daney
daney 
Expert
daney
  • daney on 11-09-06 06:41 AM
In response to Huskymom

re: ornaments

BHG's Scrapbooks etc mag had an article on the clear glass ornaments this month - you might look for that.

riorabbit
Queen
riorabbit
In response to daney

Just another thought on the child handprint/foot print reindeer. I made my sister an altered container (about 8 years ago...who knew they would become the in thing?) using my nieces hand prints and foot print. I did this as a surprise for my sis while babysitting. It came out really cute. I wanted to make them again so I came up with the idea of doing this for a sb page. So we have a reindeer lo each year that shows the size of the kids hands and feet. Also, if you do not want to mess with paint you can just trace around the hands and feet on brown cardstock and cut it out. These pages could be used as a gift if you placed them in a frame. Then you could do this every year and the old ones just go in an album.

AndreaO
Idol
AndreaO
In response to riorabbit

I think that's a lovely idea! What beautiful gifts to receive. I love the reindeer scrapbook page!!! Thanks

PamFSU29
Mayor
PamFSU29
In response to AndreaO

OMG, I am so lucky to find this thread-there are some great ideas on here! Maybe you ladies can give me some help though. I love the gift basket idea, and my Dad just bought a houseboat, and I would like to give him a basket based on that theme. I was thinking coffee, coffee mugs, a throw blanket, maybe a framed pic of the grandkids, what else?
Also, for my brother, I found a florida gators chip bowl that I was going to put pretzels, a beer stein, shot glass, peanuts, what else for a man who loves to watch football?

Thanks ladies, I will keep checking back often b/c there are so many great ideas on here!

ClickClick
Diva
ClickClick
In response to tanni_83

• tanni_83 Said:
Just a question about the christmas tree ball ornerment. How long do you make the strips of paper before curling them up?

Thanks Tanni

I found some super big clear ornaments and used them. Then I cut 3 sheets of 12*12 into strips - some 1 inch some 2 inch by 12 inches. THen I curled them around a pencil (since I used American craft paper, it was sturdy ) and then filled the ornament. Looks great - I didnt use christmas paper either. I will post a pic when I get the chance.

buggainok
Idol
buggainok
In response to daney

SimplyMisty and Daney,

I went to the Dollar Tree & got the $1 pictures to make the name frames with. I am so tickled with how they turned out.

They were so fast to put together and turned out super cute. You can use the tacky looking picture for a pattern to cut your cardstock. I have made 6 of them for various grandkids.

The ones I found were narrow, about 5-1/2 x 11, with the hanger on the narrow end. I just did the names that way, down the middle of the page. I used some cardstock alpha stickers I had for the names. I embellished with ribbons, prima flowers. and used stick-on rhinestones for bling on the letters in the name.

Thanks for sharing such a great idea!

Momto3greatkids
Veteran
Momto3greatkids
In response to CroppinMadeline

I'm making calendars too. They're for my Mom and MIL. I'm doing them on 8 1/2 x 11 cs and each month showcases a picture or two of my kids/family from the year before of the same month. Kind of like a year-in-review calendar. I'm using MS Publisher to print the calendars and I'll shrink them down a bit and glue them to the cs and I'll have Office Depot or someplace bind them. Then I'm also giving each grandma a 3 ring album to put the pages in at the end of the year.

Angie Lanigan
Resident
Angie Lanigan
In response to Momto3greatkids

Here's some altered candles I made as gifts last year. The photo's kind of fuzzy, but the photos came out really clearly. I did mine by printing a photo out onto tissue paper (by taping the tissue paper onto regular paper) with my inkjet printer. Then I wrapped the tissue paper/photo around the front of the candle, and covered that with a sheet of wax paper. I used my heat gun on the wax paper, which melted the tissue/photo onto the candle and left a thin layer of wax on top. Once it's attached, you peel off the wax paper, making it so that you can't really even feel that the photo is just attached to the front.

Photo Candles

I just finished these coasters as gifts for this year. I bought marble-like tile from the hardware store for $1/ea. Print a mirror image of your photo/text and photocopy it (it has to be a photocopy, inkjet will smear). Paint a layer of modpodge onto the top of the tile and put the photocopy face down onto it, smoothing out any air bubbles. Let it dry overnight. Next day, brush on a thin layer of water over the paper, and "roll" off thin layers of paper by rubbing your finger/thumb over it. Keep wetting/rolling off the paper until all you have left is the ink image. When all the paper's gone, give it a few more thin coats of modpodge to seal it, and add some cork to the bottom.

Photo Coasters

MelissainBama
Tenant
MelissainBama
In response to Angie Lanigan

You are all full of such great ideas! I'm going to try the name frames. Love the ornament idea, may have to do a few of those too! The photo candles and coasters are great ideas as well!! Thank you all for sharing your wonderful ideas!

buggainok
Idol
buggainok
In response to MelissainBama

Here is my latest effort:

These were made with 3 for $1 wooden doorknockers from Dollar Tree and Christmas paper from Dollar Tree. I love how they turned out and they were so inexpensive to make.

Sorry the scan doesn't show the colors as bright as they really are.

Christmas Doorknockers

simplymisty
Tenant
simplymisty
In response to buggainok

AWSOME! I went back to the dollar store yesterday and bought 6 more frames. I know I have atleast 4 to make, but I love them so much that I'll probably find an excuse to make one for someone else...so I got extra! lol! LOVE LOVE LOVE THEM! I'm glad you do too!

Deans_wife
Veteran
Deans_wife
In response to apa kabar

I am sooooo excited, I am dragging out my stamping, crafting scrappin stuff right now!!!!!!

Thanks Ladies!!!

MelissainBama
Tenant
MelissainBama
In response to Deans_wife

I just uploaded my first attempt at the name frames in my gallery. I'd love to hear what you think! Suggestions..anything!

The doorknockers are really cute!

TrishaLouise
Mayor
TrishaLouise

This is such a great idea! It has given me a lot of ideas for other gifts..........

Here is a Christmas Quilt book I just finished for my Mother. It was a breeze to make and I filled it with pictures of her and I.

http://www.scrapbook.com/scrapbook_layouts/showphoto.ph...

MelissainBama
Tenant
MelissainBama
In response to TrishaLouise

Where would I find a chipboard book?? Your Quilt book is beautiful!

simplymisty
Tenant
simplymisty
In response to MelissainBama

I left you a comment and some suggestions!

It's GORGEOUS though! *applauds*

ironscrapper
Guru
ironscrapper

The quilt book is beautiful -- I am going to have to try that!

I am another Dollar Tree fanatic lol. I went there today and picked up these wooden hearts with twine attached at the top for hanging -- I am working on the first one -- I'll post a pic when it's done... .

Edited by kbrengle on 11-13-06 08:20 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

buggainok
Idol
buggainok
In response to ironscrapper

Your Heart is just beautiful. You did a great job on it.

Guess I have to go back to Dollar Tree and find some of those. I probably looked right at them and didn't see the possibilities. Thanks for sharing this cute idea!

ironscrapper
Guru
ironscrapper
In response to buggainok

• buggainok Said:
Your Heart is just beautiful. You did a great job on it.

Guess I have to go back to Dollar Tree and find some of those. I probably looked right at them and didn't see the possibilities. Thanks for sharing this cute idea!

Thanks -- I actually swapped out the twine for a tea dyed ribbon after I posted this and it looks much better . At my DT, they were on the bottom shelf in the aisle with the baskets and stuff -- totally random.

faetastic
Tenant
faetastic

My kids are making everyone snowglobes for Christmas this year. It was their own idea and it's turning out so neat. They bought some little jars at the dollar store, then some Winnie the Pooh and Mickey Mouse kinder eggs that they sell at Walmart. They've got tiny figurines in them, then they hot glue the figurine to the bottom of the jar and fill it with glitter (we've had to experiment with different types of glitter, some float, some clump...grrrr)

They tie a homemade tag around the lid and they're done. I've got the one they made me sitting on my desk at work. I love it. It has Belle from Beauty and the Beast in it.

daney
daney 
Expert
daney
  • daney on 11-14-06 08:11 AM
In response to buggainok

btw - nothing wrong with doing the names "down" instead of "across" - at my dollar tree, you had to dig to find the ones already in the horizontal way - there were a couple landscapes, a french-y cafe street and a penguin photo - or it's EASY to move the hardware.

I just cleaned out the rest of the horiz ones at my store - I plan to do some words, too - Like "Hope" "Joy" "Love" "Faith" etc for the holiday gift grab bag - using all snowy/wintery colors/elements - sparkly, etc. and an inspirational sporty one for my niece who plays on a great volleyball team... the possibilities are endless!

daney
daney 
Expert
daney
  • daney on 11-14-06 08:12 AM
In response to daney

OH and I am definitely doing "Peace" and pen-writing "on earth" across it!

simplymisty
Tenant
simplymisty
In response to daney

Sounds wonderful, Daney! I'm actually working on Christmas ones as well. They make SPENDID decorations. I made on that said THANKS...i think its posted in my Gallery. It's actually the only "fall" decorations I have....haha...money is tight, so i just whipped that one up. LOVE LOVE LOVE the creativity that has spiraled from one little name frame.

I think the horizontal name frame is a good idea too...changes it up a bit instead of the typical.

Love the idea of the little wooden heart ornament. I actually got wooden letters and a butterfly from the DT and i'm going to be scrapping/decorating them for my neice. DT is a marvelous little store!

simplymisty
Tenant
simplymisty

oh, and I almost forgot. I just got those glass ball ornaments at Michael's for 50% off. i got the medium size ones. I filled one with rolled pp paper...it's cute. I'm working on embossing words and the year on a few...and I'm actually going to fill one with red and green paper clips (you know the plastic coated, colored ones)...i figured it'd give it a different look and different texture than just glitter or paper! I'll post pics asap!

MelissainBama
Tenant
MelissainBama

Such great ideas! I need to go back to the Dollar Tree soon! I love the idea of the frames for holiday decorations too! I may have to do some of those also. I'm so glad I found this place! You've all given me SO many ideas....I think I'm almost overwhelmed! lol

Melonie
Veteran
Melonie

Love all of these ideas! Thanks for the inspiration!

ironscrapper
Guru
ironscrapper
In response to Melonie

Were y'all using the matte frames from Dollar Tree for the name frames, or actual frames?

I almost grabbed a bunch of the $1 mattes in different colors yesterday, but I couldn't decide if I would use them or not... I was thinking of making the name frames with them for my school-age SILs .

I picked up a wooden photo box (with a little metal frame on the front for labeling) from Michael's today to make a box for the handmade cards I am going to make for my grandmother -- so far so good!

sportsmom1
Pro
sportsmom1

just wanted to mark my spot. Soooo many great ideas! I am doing the note cards for my grandmother. I never thought of a wooden box. I was thinking of the lunch pail but I think a jewlery box would be great!

kierrala
Idol
kierrala
In response to luuuuv2scrap

• luuuuv2scrap Said:
If anyone is looking for the clear glass bulb ornaments, AC Moore has them today for $1.97 for a 6 pack. They are usually $5.

JoAnn's also has them on sale this week for 1/2 off, regularly 3.99.

kierrala
Idol
kierrala
In response to daney

• daney Said:
THey are frames from the Dollar Tree - I removed the ugly pic that was in them (they are allegedly art, not empty frames) External measurement is just over 6 by 12. the inside is 5.5 x 11.

I bought one to try - and it turns out to be exactly what misty had, too - I mentioned it to her in a PM. Dollar Tree had them in black, brown and brown with tiny gold inner rim. I bought all black except 1 for my dh's elderly aunt - hers is brown.

It was super fast - the only thing left to do is to have the hanging hardware switched so it is horizontal - the original prints were vertical.

My 4 yr old wants one of her own, now! Funny.

Awesome! I'll have to check them out

ironscrapper
Guru
ironscrapper
In response to kierrala

I decided to try the matte frames after all -- working on the first one, remains to be seen...

Here is the cover of the photo box --

The stars are actually 3 dimensional, but you can't tell in the photo...

Still working on the base...

Edited by kbrengle on 11-15-06 09:57 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Smitten_Scrapper
Resident
Smitten_Scrapper
In response to AndreaO

For Christmas I am making:

Recipe Tin
Altered Coaster Book Tins
ALtered AOL TIN Plus a CD frame to go inside
Paint Tins
Altered CLipboards
and I bought a calendar to just scrapbook over from the dollar store

buggainok
Idol
buggainok
In response to Smitten_Scrapper

Let's hear it for all of us.

How creative we are!!!

sportsmom1
Pro
sportsmom1
In response to Smitten_Scrapper

I love the top of your box!!! Great job!! I can't wait to see the rest of it!
Will you post a pic of the AOL tin and CD? I would love to see them!

ClickClick
Diva
ClickClick

Here are some of the ornaments I am making this year:

American Craft Holiday Ornament

Crate Paper Ornament

American Craft Play Ornament

simplymisty
Tenant
simplymisty

I use actual frames for the name frames. You can also get them at Walmart for $3.00. I have found empty frames...those are the ones I get from the DT....but I have Daney gets the ones with "art" in them. They all work the same!

buggainok
Idol
buggainok

Well, here is my latest contribution. My first effort at making altered composition books.

These are for my niece & nephew, 8 & 10. I thought they would be forgiving of any goofs, LOL.

They were fun and went together quickly. I used Mod Podge for the first time. It is sure messy to use, but works very well.

Now that I know how to do this, I think I will make some for the grown-ups!
Altered composition Books for niece & nephew

ironscrapper
Guru
ironscrapper
In response to buggainok

The composition books are adorable - yet another idea to add to my list!

I just finished my grandmother's gift (well, all the external stuff anyway, still working on the cards & envelopes for the photo box).

Photo Box etc...

sportsmom1
Pro
sportsmom1

Your photo box is adorable!! I am going to HL today and will have to look for a wooden box for my grandmother's cards! Great idea!!!

I love the notebooks! I made them last year as gifts to give on Thanksgiving! I decorated them with Christmas pp and put an envelope inside to hold reciepts. I used a piece of wide ribbon to close them! Yours are wonderful!!! Great job!

jacobsmama
Guru
jacobsmama

Thanks ladies for all of these wonderful ideas. I made several of the clear ornament balls with the rolled pp. I bought mine at HL when they were half off, I think they were 12 for $1.99 (on sale). Also, I have purchased mini comp. notebooks at Dollar Tree for 4/$1 (making them .25 cents each). I am going to alter these for a few not-so-close friends, but those you feel as though you should give a gift!!!

My LSS has several metal easels (mini and lg) which I purchased for gifts. In the store they are adorable b/c you can change out pics quickly as they are adhered with magnets. Anyway, I will post when completed!

jacobsmama
Guru
jacobsmama
In response to jacobsmama

I forgot to subscribe!!

AndreaO
Idol
AndreaO
In response to jacobsmama

I altered these letters and although they are not for a gift, as they were so easy (and cheap) to do I thought I might make some for gifts!

Kate2You
Resident
Kate2You
In response to AndreaO

OMG!! I love this thread!! I love the tile idea & those name frames are awesome!! I think I may have to make a special Dollar Tree run just to get these frames.

Here's what I made year before last: Snowman ornaments

Last year I made snowman ornaments with old light bulbs but I guess I didn't take pictures of them.

Edited by Kate2You on 11-19-06 09:26 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

melissa l
Guru
melissa l
In response to Kate2You

I agree...this thread ROCKS! Thanks for all the great ideas ladies!

buggainok
Idol
buggainok
In response to melissa l

Okay, guys, this thread is languishing. Now that Thanksgiving is over, we need some more ideas!!

ironscrapper
Guru
ironscrapper
In response to buggainok

I'm hitting the craft store and DT in a bit, maybe I'll come back with something...

skeber
skeber 
Tenant
skeber
In response to apa kabar

Ok, I don't see instructions on this link of how to make the altered candles. You just pring a picture on a piece of regular paper and melt it onto the candle? What is the method with the tissue paper. How does picture transfer from regular paper to the candle? I really want to try this, but I am a little confused! Please help!!!

ClickClick
Diva
ClickClick
In response to skeber

I have made a few canvas's - they are super cute. One of them is in my gallery (I will upload and link the other one later tonight!)

luv2scrap1968
Veteran
luv2scrap1968
In response to skeber

• skeber Said:
Ok, I don't see instructions on this link of how to make the altered candles. You just pring a picture on a piece of regular paper and melt it onto the candle? What is the method with the tissue paper. How does picture transfer from regular paper to the candle? I really want to try this, but I am a little confused! Please help!!!

Here is what I did:
I taped a piece of tissue paper (the same color as my candles) to printer paper, then printed the picture(s) I wanted to use. The cut it out, and using my heat gun,I slightly melted the candle where I wanted the picture, then, applied the tissue paper, and slowly melted the tissue paper into the candle.
The reason I used paper the color of the candle was so that, once it is melted into the candle, all you see is the picture. The paper *disappears*.

I tried color, and black and white pictures, but in my7 opinion, the black and white photo looks the best.
I would post a picture, but I don't have a digital camera, sorry.

Hope that helps!!
Rachel

skeber
skeber 
Tenant
skeber
In response to luv2scrap1968

Thank you so much!!!

AndreaO
Idol
AndreaO
In response to skeber

I have just finished this canvas & although I'm not giving it away as a gift, I think they make great gifts as you can personalise them any way you like!

TFL - Andrea

ClickClick
Diva
ClickClick
In response to AndreaO

Here are some canvas's and notebooks I am giving away this year.
Canvas 1
Canvas 2
Canvas 3
Altered Notebook 1
Altered notebook 2

Edited by 806melissa on 11-26-06 03:38 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Anonymous 
  • Anonymous on 11-26-06 06:05 PM
In response to ClickClick

Those are great, Melissa. Do you paint your canvas or put paper on it? I'd love to do something like that for my sister and brother. Better yet, I'd love to do a type of shadow box. And the notebooks are great as well.

My head is spinning from all of these ideas. I can't make up my mind and I really should. I don't know what to do.

ClickClick
Diva
ClickClick
In response to GrandmaMichelf

• michele54 Said:
Those are great, Melissa. Do you paint your canvas or put paper on it? I'd love to do something like that for my sister and brother. Better yet, I'd love to do a type of shadow box. And the notebooks are great as well.

My head is spinning from all of these ideas. I can't make up my mind and I really should. I don't know what to do.

I paint the canvas first (I hate white!!), then I used spray adheasive to attach patterened paper on top of the paint. Because of 'my' style, I like the torn edges, and mishaped size. I am certain you could do it anyway you wanted to though!

MomtoMattKatelynn
Expert
MomtoMattKatelynn

I love this thread! I've been trying to figure out some xmas gift ideas that don't cost a lot or nothing at all. Money is very tight this year.

So far, I've done the glass ornaments but instead of pp, I used wrapping paper! I have yet to put names on the outside! Those are going to be from my baby boy, since it's his first Christmas! These are going to grand and great grandparents! With 6 grandparents, it gets expensive buying individual gifts!

I may use some of these ideas for our secret santa swap here at work and for relatives!

hukneeb
Diva
hukneeb
In response to MomtoMattKatelynn

I love this thread!! I am definately going to try some of these ideas. I am planning to make some alterred tiles (not the little ones, prob 8x8 or 12x12 from lowes/home depot) and use them with a plate holder. I have seen this done, but was looking for pictures. I can't find anything online. It seems similar to the alterred canvas idea, but I will probably have to use mod podge. If anybody has any pictures of these, please share. I loved the way it looked, definately very exquisite! I can't wait to see more of you guys' ideas!!

luv2scrap1968
Veteran
luv2scrap1968
In response to hukneeb

Just thought I would let you know, Carol Duvall, on HGTV, is doing her Annual Christmas Craft show!! I think it started today, and is on right now....8:30 am. She always has WONDERFFUL Christmas gift and craft ideas!!

Rachel

shanismom
Guru
shanismom
In response to ClickClick

• 806melissa Said:
  • michele54 Said:

I paint the canvas first (I hate white!!), then I used spray adheasive to attach patterened paper on top of the paint. Because of 'my' style, I like the torn edges, and mishaped size. I am certain you could do it anyway you wanted to though!

thanks for that info Melissa. i bought a canvas yesterday and i didn't know where to start but now i know. I'm doing the canvas for myself, i'm planning to put it in my living room. Now the challenge is what color do i paint my canvas? mmmmmmm maybe gold...

lyrebirdmel
Tenant
lyrebirdmel
In response to shanismom

Love this thread - the ideas are fantastic!! By the way how many of us Melissas are there around here?????

melissa l
Guru
melissa l
In response to lyrebirdmel

Here's one!

ClickClick
Diva
ClickClick
In response to melissa l

me too!!

x3Jessicalouise
Diva
x3Jessicalouise
In response to buggainok

I gave those glass ornaments a try.. here's how they turned out.
ornament 1
ornament 2
ornament 3 the ribon on this one says chestnuts roasting on an open fire.. you can't really see it in this pic

buggainok
Idol
buggainok
In response to x3Jessicalouise

Here are some of my latest efforts: Altered composition books for Christmas gifts for daughters and daughters-in-law. I'm pretty pleased with them. Take a look if you have time.

Altered Composition books

Altered composition books

Altered Composition Books

buggainok
Idol
buggainok

Jessica, I like your ornaments. They turned out really cute.

flowerscrapmom
New Kid On the Block
flowerscrapmom
In response to buggainok

Very Cool ideas!! Off to get going on the rest of my "gifts" trying to decide which idea to use!

x3Jessicalouise
Diva
x3Jessicalouise
In response to flowerscrapmom

bugga: your comp. books turned out very nice.. i have to figure out how do something like them.. but smaller for my altered lunchbox i'm doing for cousins for xmas presents.

buggainok
Idol
buggainok

Thanks, guys, for the comments on the books.

Here is a a tip if you use Mod Podge. Apply it to the object you are covering, and not to the paper. It goes on much easier that way and less bubbles to smooth out.

Jennifer Priest
Governor
Jennifer Priest
In response to buggainok

Great altered clipboards made by my firend scrappersdelite!!! They are sooooo cool!

http://www.scrapbook.com/scrapbook_layouts/showgallery....

Anonymous 
  • Anonymous on 12-01-06 08:06 PM

Those clipboards are great! And melissa, your comp books are gorgeous! I love the all blue one! Great ideas!

Now to figure out this canvas thing! Thanks for the info. I've even been in the gallery looking at some. That has me more excited than the lunch tins.

I'm thinking and tomorrow my DD and I are going shopping to get some of the stuff. I'm so excited she and I are going to make gifts together. Money is almost nonexistent to spend on huge gifts for people. I think this thread is awesome.

ironscrapper
Guru
ironscrapper

I just finished this jewelry box for my teenage sister:

jewelry box

buggainok
Idol
buggainok

Here is something else I wanted to share: Gift sacks made with lunch sacks (60 for $1 at the Dollar Tree), foam stamps, and acrylic paints.

I think they turned out really cute. I punched star shapes in the body, so the tissue paper inside shows through. Then I punched holes in the top to thread curly ribbon through to tie.

Gift Bags 2

Gift Bags

scrapnread
Guru
scrapnread
In response to buggainok

My dd had her 13th birthday party last night and I thought I would be bored listening to jr high giggles and crushes, so I brought my supplies to alter a composition book as a trial gift idea. Around midnight, the girls wanted to watch me instead of the movies we had provided. They were estatic when I offered them the opportunity to create some journals. Even my ds got into the act. The journals turned out great. When I get home and get some sleep, I will post some pictures. Thanks so much for the ideas. I never thought they would be so easy and fun. Now I have to buy more for presents.

luv2scrap1968
Veteran
luv2scrap1968

Since there hasn't been alot of activity on this post, I thought I would post a few links to some Christmas Crafts that I liked..... My favorite is the Angel Feather gift idea!! Takes less than 5 minutes to make, and is a gift straight from the heart!!

Have fun!!!!! Rachel

Angel Feather Gift

Lots of Ornament Instructions

Christmas Crafts

Page 2 of 5 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics