Page 1 of 45 
Username Post: The Scrap Fasters        (Topic#1399991)
scrapbookbuzz
Diva
scrapbookbuzz

I recently discovered that I have ALOT more sb supplies than I realized and so now have placed a challenge on myself to ONLY use stock on hand...for at least the next two month or until I've at least whittled down to half of what I already have.

Any one else feel they need to give their checking account a break and use what you already have? (I'm serious about this, to all of you who are think sarcastically, "Good luck with that."
:-D )

Who'll join me in this?

I plan on posting each layout made with stuff I already have as of today January 19, 2007.

Edited by scrapbookbuzz on 02-16-07 02:45 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

MrsVo
MrsVo 
Idol
MrsVo
  • MrsVo on 01-19-07 07:13 AM
In response to scrapbookbuzz

I think there are a couple of challenges going on doing that in the challenge area. I'm still new so I don't have enough stuff to go on a spending freeze yet.

tina c
tina c 
Diva
tina c
In response to MrsVo

I am spending on more supplies...

candyx
candyx 
Resident
candyx

I agree with you on this one it can be addicting and you have to be careful in what and why you are buying something. I started with this of saying to myself if its not on sale and you really don't need it don't buy it so far that has been working.

cns1986
Tenant
cns1986
In response to candyx

I'm on a pretty strict budget, so I try to be as thrifty and creative as possible. I know how it feels, but watching your supplies dwindle forces you to get creative and actually you probably will come up with better LOs because you have to think about them more (at least, I have found that). But go to the clearance aisles in Target, Wal-Mart, Michael's, online...that's what I have to do.

petergabrielfan
Queen
petergabrielfan
In response to cns1986

I definitely have been doing this! Before I had my son and became an at home mom, I had no budget to speak of. If I liked it, I bought it. Now I love that I can curl up in my scrap room and go and go without worrying about running out of stuff.

AnniesSS
Idol
AnniesSS
In response to cns1986

I've stopped myself from buying more paper and embellies - I have a bunch and find myself using the newer stuff then the items I bought a longer time ago. I think that even the "not so nice" items can look good with some creativity (as mentioned above) and with some nice cardstock

I'm so with you on this one.... this weekend is not going to be a nice one, so off to the scraproom I go!

Scraps4Two
Expert
Scraps4Two
In response to petergabrielfan

I'll join you on this "challenge"! It is actually one of my new year resolutions. I too have so much stuff that I could probably scrap for an entire year and never have to buy one thing (not even adhesive!) The only thing I HAVE to buy is a new trimmer (I bought a purple cow but i am returning it) So other than that purchase I will not be buying any more paper, ribbon, ink, stamps, etc...for at least six months.
Oh... i should say that I spent a gift certificate on sb stuff over christmas...but that is what my MIL gave it to me for...so that doesn't count...and it was BEFORE Jan. 1st!!

GinaF
GinaF 
Expert
GinaF
  • GinaF on 01-19-07 07:54 AM
In response to AnniesSS

Ha! yeah, I'm with you on it, only sort of. I'm getting monthly kits from my scrapbook company, so other than that, I am going to not buy anything. I was just going through my old papers this am trying to see what I will still use (I have LOTS) and what I can get rid of. I'm part of the swap mart, too...so hopefully I can pass some of my paper there that I know I won't use but someone else might love!

haha, I think part of it is falling in love again with what I already have. ;

petergabrielfan
Queen
petergabrielfan
In response to Scraps4Two

Oh man...pp was my weakness for so long. I bought so much of it that I honestly don't even look at the paper when I'm out. What are everyone else's weak spots??

Scraps4Two
Expert
Scraps4Two

I'm right there with you on pp! I too have so much that i know i will never use. Going to find someone to donate it too. I am also addicted to chipboard and pretty much anything that is on sale!

petergabrielfan
Queen
petergabrielfan

My crop group and I donate our extra stuff (stuff we know we'll never use) to the children's hospital.

scrapbook girl
Idol
scrapbook girl

Oh my goodness!! I have deff. noticed that!! Especialle when I was considering building MORE shelves!!!! And I said, NO!!!! I am not building more shelves!! I have to use what I have. So, I am not allowed to buy any more things for sb'n for a WHILE!!

JenKaMus
Guru
JenKaMus

my weakness is paper too! I'm with you on this challenge, i really need to use up what i have for a couple reasons - 1) more money to go towards us buying a house, and 2) less i'll have to move when we do get a house!

I'm going to try and use up old supplies, go through my PP and try and use up those papers I didnt really think i'd use (i got a lot of the paper stacks) and actually use them on cards, or on layouts themselves.

petergabrielfan
Queen
petergabrielfan
In response to JenKaMus

I have been on purge mode too. I can barely find an uncluttered place to scrap, and I keep accumulating more. I could have crop parties for a year with 10 people and still have stuff. Some of it is so old and not my style that I dontated, other stuff I put in a box for DS to create with when he's a little older. Some of it I'm just using. I find I'm a real sucker for "specific" patterened paper (Christmas, birthday, etc) and then the plainer ones like plaids and polka dots just sit. I am trying to use those up because I have SO many. I don't buy the stacks now for that reason--I use up the cool ones and let the others collect dust.

AnniesSS
Idol
AnniesSS

• JenWalsh Said:
I'm right there with you on pp! I too have so much that i know i will never use. Going to find someone to donate it too. I am also addicted to chipboard and pretty much anything that is on sale!

If you PM scrapbfly (I'm going to double check her screen name), she accepts donations for her scrap class at her school. I just sent her a bunch of stuff!!

Also, there's another neighbor who has a breast cancer auction of scrap suppies... she raised (I think) $14k last year! I'm gonna go check on their names now

Edit - Ok, it's {scrapbfly} and I can't find the other woman's name

Edited by AnniesSS on 01-19-07 10:37 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

tufano79
Idol
tufano79

• scrapbookbuzz Said:
I recently discovered that I have ALOT more sb supplies than I realized and so now have placed a challenge on myself to ONLY use stock on hand...for at least the next two month or until I've at least whittled down to half of what I already have.

Any one else feel they need to give their checking account a break and use what you already have? (I'm serious about this, to all of you who are think sarcastically, "Good luck with that."
:-D )

Who'll join me in this?

I plan on posting each layout made with stuff I already have as of today January 19, 2007.

I'm with you!!! I so need to use what I have before I order more! Good idea!

Hugs, Josie

cindy312
Diva
cindy312
In response to tufano79

I also want to use up the stuff I have before I buy more, but my focus for the year is on reducing my HUGE pile of scraps. Before I look at my pp or cs collection, I check first to see if there's a scrap that works.

Cindy

suznut
suznut 
Veteran
suznut
In response to tufano79

I'm just addicted to anything that's on sale or clearance. Everytime I go to HL, M', J's or a LSS, just because its on clearance I think about getting it w/o specifically needing it....I can't explain it.

For example after xmas when all the xmas stuff was 66%off at HL..I bought so much..am I working on a xmas layout? NO! Am I working on a xmas album? NO! So why did I buy the stuff, I don't know I guess for the one time I will have some xmas layouts...I'm such a sucker for sales!

Edited by suznut22 on 01-19-07 10:55 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Megan - ForumTech
The Janitor
Megan - ForumTech
In response to AnniesSS

• AnniesSS Said:
  • JenWalsh Said:

If you PM scrapbfly (I'm going to double check her screen name), she accepts donations for her scrap class at her school. I just sent her a bunch of stuff!!

Also, there's another neighbor who has a breast cancer auction of scrap suppies... she raised (I think) $14k last year! I'm gonna go check on their names now

debman?

petergabrielfan
Queen
petergabrielfan
In response to Megan - ForumTech

Megan to the rescue!! Wish we had a Superman-type smiley with a mop instead of a cape...

Scraps4Two
Expert
Scraps4Two

• Megan - ForumTech Said:
  • AnniesSS Said:
  • JenWalsh Said:

debman?

cool! thanks for that info! I will be contacting them to donate my "extras"

scrapbookbuzz
Diva
scrapbookbuzz

You all have great ideas!

And the reason I posted this informal 'challenge' here is because there was already a formal, January no-shop challenge in the challenges section but it was full. AND, my brain is too foggy, from oral surgery yesterday, to think about doing a 'formal' challenge.

So, we'll just all meet here, okay? :0)

I did a couple of layouts on Jan. 1 but that was before my no-buying challenge.

scrapbookbuzz
Diva
scrapbookbuzz

Last night (I was so proud of myself) I went to start on my son's ABC's album. I had originally thought of using the Thomas the Train Engine die cut letters but when I saw the Disney ones I already have I thought, "Well, might as well use these before they get bent or smooshed." So that's what I'm using! When I get further along with it, I'll post in the gallery.

Remember to post your "already have it" layouts when they're done! :0)

Scraps4Two
Expert
Scraps4Two

Okay, so I went to target today and walked right past their scrap section without stopping!!! I can't believe i did it! Didn't even look in that direction!
I did a 2 page layout with stuff i already had...just have to take a pic and upload it.

petergabrielfan
Queen
petergabrielfan

• JenWalsh Said:
Okay, so I went to target today and walked right past their scrap section without stopping!!! I can't believe i did it! Didn't even look in that direction!
I did a 2 page layout with stuff i already had...just have to take a pic and upload it.

You know, I have to say too...WM and Target always seem to have the same ol' same ol' scrapping stuff. A lot of times I'll just peek down there to see if there is any clearance. Otherwise I move on by!

Stephanie D
Guru
Stephanie D

i dont shop untill i am out of every thing. excepted glue and stuff like that. I shop maybe twices a year.

scrapbookbuzz
Diva
scrapbookbuzz

Great job on passing by those temptations!

chatty_scrapper
Expert
chatty_scrapper

Hi, I'm with you on this. I'm trying really hard to stay to a budget. I want to use the items I have and dwindle down the supply. I'm going to a crop tomorrow from 9am to 11pm and I was putting together my pages I want to work on. I was able to pick out the pp and cardstock from my stash for each lo. In addition, I have a mini A-Z book I'm working on that I'll be taking with me. I painted all my chipboard letters ahead of time so I can focus on putting the pages together. ALL with stuff I have. No new buying.

My weakness.... pp and acrylic stamps. I love stamps. I have so many and some not even opened yet. I just can't help myself. They come out with so many cutes one. I love the Limited Edition Art Warehouse circles. I want them all.....

Now I just need a cleaver way to store all those stamps without buying anything new... Always a challenge.

petergabrielfan
Queen
petergabrielfan
In response to chatty_scrapper

You know what?? That is the worst. I feel so guilty when I'm scrapping and I find something really old, still in the package. It's like I couldn't even use up old stuff before I was onto the new. I can't tell you the last time I made a huge scrap purchase. Sure, I buy stuff here and there, but I am really using up my old stuff now!

scrappingfor5
Resident
scrappingfor5

I'm with all of you on this "challenge"". I just keep buying, and not scrapping. I have tons of stuff, so other than making copies of pictures, I'm going to try to stay away from stores and use up what I have. Besides, were trying to save for a family trip to Florida this spring, and I want to save my money for a shopping trip in the States. You guys have so much more than we do.

petergabrielfan
Queen
petergabrielfan
In response to scrappingfor5

• scrappingfor5 Said:
I'm with all of you on this "challenge"". I just keep buying, and not scrapping. I have tons of stuff, so other than making copies of pictures, I'm going to try to stay away from stores and use up what I have. Besides, were trying to save for a family trip to Florida this spring, and I want to save my money for a shopping trip in the States. You guys have so much more than we do.

Someone I know in Canada told me that the U.S. has the most sb supplies and they are really $$ in Canada. Where do you buy most of your sb supplies in Canada?

KBSL
KBSL 
Resident
KBSL
  • KBSL on 01-19-07 10:57 PM

• JenWalsh Said:
  • Megan - ForumTech Said:
  • AnniesSS Said:
  • JenWalsh Said:

debman?

cool! thanks for that info! I will be contacting them to donate my "extras"

Also chococat is accepting donations of premade bookmarks. She has a bookmark challenge in the challenge forum. I think she plans on doing it every month until christmas.

Also there are a few organizations that accept scrapbook donations. You can google for them.

I make baby pages for the hospital in our area for the new parents to put foot prints on and keep as keepsakes. You could ask about something like that.

I know that alot of youth programs also take scrapbook donations. You could ask you local youth groups if they do.

Just some thoughts.
Good luck!

lara514
Pro
lara514
In response to KBSL

I'm in on this one! I've been saying the same thing. No more trips to AC M or any other wonderful store for me. I did buy some adhesive from QVC, but you have to have adhesive, right? I keep finding more and more "stuff" I have purchased and haven't even cracked open. I've been doing well on resisting the urge to buy. Well, the urge is still there, but I am not giving in. Yay!

married05
Idol
married05

I'm actually returning some stuff today that I bought but now think I'll never use. I'm trying to stop spending for a while too.

Aspen1
Aspen1 
Expert
Aspen1
In response to married05

One of my scrapping buddies and I have a pact to use up the supplies we have on hand, especially patterned paper , before buying anything new. We both belong to different monthly clubs, so that will be the extent of our puchases. I love getting that monthly box in the mail! But I find myself looking here at sb.com and other sites for all the new goodies that are coming out.

So, until I attend CKC in May, I am on a scrapping spending freeze.

It can just be so hard to use all that pretty paper. It's SO pretty! Time to get over that and get scrapping!

Scrappingmj
Tenant
Scrappingmj

In Holland there is a real cult going on. Several SB joined a challenge to create 100 LO's without buying new stuff. I'm part off it too and its fun too do.

http://mj100layouts.web-log.nl/mjs_100_layouts/

this is the link to my log about the 100 challange. It's still in Dutch.

SouthrnMom
Veteran
SouthrnMom
In response to Scrappingmj

I have adapted this challenge as well, except my challenge is to complete two albums before I buy any other supplies with the exception of adhesives. I too am such a sucker for sales and can't resist so I decided to give my pocketbook a break for a while.
I also chose to do this b/c I have a 2 year old daughter who I have only begun to scrapbook. I have a lot of catching up to do.

ashtonsmommy
Governor
ashtonsmommy
In response to SouthrnMom

I'm a sucker for patterend paper packages and $1 items at Big Lots and such! I am cutting my budget in 3rd for the next few months! I should only need cardstock and adhesive! Plus, I want to palce a large order if there is anything from the new CHA I have to have!

petergabrielfan
Queen
petergabrielfan
In response to ashtonsmommy

• ashtonsmommy Said:
I'm a sucker for patterend paper packages and $1 items at Big Lots and such! I am cutting my budget in 3rd for the next few months! I should only need cardstock and adhesive! Plus, I want to palce a large order if there is anything from the new CHA I have to have!

Me too! I buy a lot of my scrapbook stuff at Big Lots and a lot of 1/2 (or more) stuff at HL. I'm trying to cut back big time. Just too much stuff at my house already! Plus, my crop group has a trade box so I'm always snagging stuff out of there too!

Kitty_wOlf
Guru
Kitty_wOlf

I presonly find it impossible to work with to many things around me, and since i don't have a scraproom- it realy does matter.

I am new so i am still getting things set up. but i'm keeping in mind that i should probably get cradstock- but not 500$ worth of ribbon.....

scrapbookbuzz
Diva
scrapbookbuzz
In response to Kitty_wOlf

Good morning, all! Congrats to all of you who are accepting this informal "challenge." One caveat: purchasing adhesive **when you need it** is perfectly acceptable. It's kind of hard to sb without adhesive!

Have a great day,everyone!

Stamping Bear
Veteran
Stamping Bear

I'm a sucker for embellishments and alphabets. Stickers,stamps, rub ons, if it's the ABCs I think I need it. I'm really going to try to stick with just what my club sends and then only buy adhesive. I need to whittle the stock down before I buy anything else. I'm going to take my scraps and make stacks of cards for gifts and donate some to a local elderly care facility.

Now, ask me next year if I stuck to that...probably not. But, I'll give it a go.

stephie
Idol
stephie

i just made some cards with older scrappy goods (except the Valentines acryllics) and it felt good to start using them up.

cns1986
Tenant
cns1986

I read someone say that Wal-Mart and Target have the same old SB stuff most of the time. That is very true, however at my Wal-Mart (no Target close by so it always seems new when I go visit about three times a year!), if you go to the clearance aisle, I've found stuff they never even put out with the regular SB items. So don't just look in the crafts section to see what's on sale, check their actual clearance aisles. I had to dig through some ********, but I found a $30 SB kit with tons of ribbon, buttons, non-tacky stickers, and paper for $4! And it is dog/cat themed, and I'm working on a SB about my pets, so it's perfect.

petergabrielfan
Queen
petergabrielfan
In response to cns1986

You're right--Wal-Mart has great clearance. I get a lot of stuff there too (I was the one who said Target and WM always seem to carry the same stuff). You know something else? The more I go to Michael's, the less I like it. IMO their merchandise stays the same for years without being clearanced and I find their prices are very high. Again, this is JMO, so nobody hate me!

scrapbookbuzz
Diva
scrapbookbuzz

• Kitty_wOlf Said:
i should probably get cradstock- but not 500$ worth of ribbon.....

Yep, I agree. It's easy to add ribbon later but not so easy to add cardstock later.

That being said, I'm going to start making red hat stationary (about four cards) for my friend for her birthday. Anyone have any purple feathers I can use?

petergabrielfan
Queen
petergabrielfan

• scrapbookbuzz Said:
  • Kitty_wOlf Said:
i should probably get cradstock- but not 500$ worth of ribbon.....

Yep, I agree. It's easy to add ribbon later but not so easy to add cardstock later.

That being said, I'm going to start making red hat stationary (about four cards) for my friend for her birthday. Anyone have any purple feathers I can use?

Poo! I just donated a bunch of red hat stuff that I ended up with from a mystery box. I'm 30 years old, so no red hat for me yet! I wish I'd seen this before I donated. It would've been yours

scrappingbeth
Idol
scrappingbeth

I am actually in the middle of a challenge just like this to myself (I made the deal with dh). The challenge was no spending until I created 50 LOs using the stuff I have on hand.

petergabrielfan
Queen
petergabrielfan
In response to scrappingbeth

Isn't it funny that the DH's are often a motivation for this sort of thing?? Mine goes nuts when he sees all the unopened stuff in the basement. I'm not a wasteful person with other stuff in life, so it's my challenge to not be with scrapbooking either!

creater1
Diva
creater1

I have been sbing/collecting for over 16 years. Just last year I gave all of my stickers to a friend for her church group. After so many years of buying I have come to find when I go to the LSS nothing appeals to me much. I have so much that I must use up plus all the stuff is looking so much the same or is making a come back. So for now I feel somewhat well. I no longer feel the need to run out and buy everything that I have never seen before. Hope that continues til my pile dwindles.

Edited by creater1 on 01-20-07 04:57 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

scrapbookbuzz
Diva
scrapbookbuzz

Almost done with the cards. Taking a break from those to do some actual pages! :0)

kikoinonia
Guru
kikoinonia

I will do this! I have so much stuff ... so much stuff! I can't say no to a bargain on something I like and think I will use. Maybe I should get some photos printed and start scrapping as much as I collect things!

I'm addicted to stamps too ...

Scrappingmj , that sounds liek an AWESOME challenge ... I think I'll keep a tally of all the pages I do without new things on them. It will certainly keep me accountable.

scrapbookbuzz
Diva
scrapbookbuzz
In response to kikoinonia

Hey, Kristina! Good to see you! And welcome to our "accountability group!" hee hee

scrapbookbuzz
Diva
scrapbookbuzz

Hey, all, in Phoenix it's cold, wet, and rainy, so it's a GREAT day to scrap! Maybe I'll actually finish some LO's today. The goal is two!

sovip
sovip 
Pro
sovip
  • sovip on 01-21-07 02:09 PM

I am going on a shopping freeze also, I just went from working full to only part time. I have told all my family members that because of my work status i would appreciate gift certificates to my LSS for any gift for me in the next 6-8 months since shopping will be almost unheard of for me.

petergabrielfan
Queen
petergabrielfan

• scrapbookbuzz Said:
Hey, Kristina! Good to see you! And welcome to our "accountability group!" hee hee

I love this name for it--perfect! I just wanted all of you to know I am working on a 6x6 scrapbook for my cousin's fiancee for a shower gift. So far I've completed almost 1/2 of it with nothing new. I have so much stuff I'll get it all done with stock on hand.

Scraps4Two
Expert
Scraps4Two

that is fantastic Sarah! way to go! I had high hopes of scrapping today but too many other things got in the way! maybe tomorrow!

petergabrielfan
Queen
petergabrielfan

• JenWalsh Said:
that is fantastic Sarah! way to go! I had high hopes of scrapping today but too many other things got in the way! maybe tomorrow!

Thanks, but I have to be honest that it's a no-pics scrapbook. I'm leaving it with photo corners so she can do her own. I'm just setting up the pages for her.

scrapbookbuzz
Diva
scrapbookbuzz

Okay, ladies, my first "nothing new" layout of 2007, which also happens to be simply my first layout of 2007 is in my gallery. Check it out!

I happen to be an 8 1/2 x 11 scrapper. :0)

tinkermama05
Expert
tinkermama05
In response to suznut

• suznut22 Said:
I'm just addicted to anything that's on sale or clearance. Everytime I go to HL, M', J's or a LSS, just because its on clearance I think about getting it w/o specifically needing it....I can't explain it.

For example after xmas when all the xmas stuff was 66%off at HL..I bought so much..am I working on a xmas layout? NO! Am I working on a xmas album? NO! So why did I buy the stuff, I don't know I guess for the one time I will have some xmas layouts...I'm such a sucker for sales!

I do the same thing, only I didn't have any xmas supplies before, so I built up my supply lol. Plus I bought a lot of it with a gift card to scrap a xmas album of 2006 cause it was my son's first xmas.

I would join the challenge, but 1) I'm addicted to clearance and they have a BUNCH of clearances at HL right now and 2) I got belated birthday money from my best friend and I'm thinking about using it on getting some of my older pictures developed...

TEENYTAMI
Resident
TEENYTAMI

i try to use what i have, but my hubby keeps taking me shopping!! well at least its his money, not my grocery allowence!!

Momto3greatkids
Veteran
Momto3greatkids
In response to TEENYTAMI

I'm not going to join the challenge but I really should watch my spending. QVC is having their craft day in early February. Gotta be able to spend money there

scrappershelley
Diva
scrappershelley

OH! Can I join your group? I have so much stuff I need to use.

scrapbookbuzz
Diva
scrapbookbuzz
In response to scrappershelley

Shelley, anyone is welcome who wants to truly be held accountable. Everyone else is welcome to visit! :0)

Welcome to the thread!

Nicole Martel
Idol
Nicole Martel

lmao... i've just recently told myself that i NEED To use up most of my stuff before i buy more!! its way out of hand... lol

petergabrielfan
Queen
petergabrielfan
In response to Nicole Martel

That's what I like about this thread--it's not an "official" challenge, so we can all sit and talk about what we've done and haven't done. I definitely feel more accountability since I know I have to rat myself out to you guys. However, I'm also not going to pass up a deal that's too good to miss. Also, does everyone agree (or not agree) that gift cards shouldn't count? People bought me gc for Christmas knowing that I'd want to get sb stuff. Since it's not your money, I don't think it should count.

JenKaMus
Guru
JenKaMus

went to a crop saturday night with a friend at a LSS, i made my page kits using up some of of my scraps stash, also the only thing i bought there was dividers for my paper (2 packs). I wandered around looking at stuff, but nothing jumped out at me like i just had to have it!

I did get a few pages worked on, i need to finish a couple little items on them then I'll post pictures.

I think we finally decided on a house to get!! I'm soooo excited! it will have a 3rd floor bonus room that will be our office and it's big enough that I can get a couple extra tables so my friends will have their own area when they come over to scrap. So the rush for me to hurry up and use up my stuff (so i dont have to move it) and save money for the house is sticking in my brain more!

Scraps4Two
Expert
Scraps4Two

• petergabrielfan Said:
That's what I like about this thread--it's not an "official" challenge, so we can all sit and talk about what we've done and haven't done. I definitely feel more accountability since I know I have to rat myself out to you guys. However, I'm also not going to pass up a deal that's too good to miss. Also, does everyone agree (or not agree) that gift cards shouldn't count? People bought me gc for Christmas knowing that I'd want to get sb stuff. Since it's not your money, I don't think it should count.

i agree that gift certificates shouldn't count. It isn't your money you are spending...plus the money has already been spent to buy the gift certificate...it would be a waste not to spend it!

JenKaMus
Guru
JenKaMus

well it's not an official challenge so do what you want!

I dont think it's a matter of using the GC but rather buying the supplies that are going to collect dust, i think thats what this challenge is about, if you're buying something with the card that is unique for a page that you dont already have something like it that would be fine, but to buy stuff (like i do) that isnt getting used, or for a specific layout i think that would go against this challenge.

madkatter
Idol
madkatter
In response to JenKaMus

Over the past year I have been focusing on using up old product. It's a shame to have so much on hand just sitting, unused!

I try mixing old and new too...or finding ways to freshen up old product. I'm just to attached to purge, so it's getting used!

scrapbookbuzz
Diva
scrapbookbuzz
In response to madkatter

You all have such great ideas!

Let's clarify:

GC's are fine. :0) And, as stated before, this is not an "official" challenge but those that are interested in being challenged to use what they already have are more likely to come back to the thread than those that aren't!

scrapbookbuzz
Diva
scrapbookbuzz

AS I was cutting some shapes out of pp last night, I realized something ironic: I don't really like pp. What I mean is, I like to look at it but I don't really use it that much in my layouts. Hmmm... So, why did I, before I started this thread, split a purchase of patterned paper with my friend? I must be an sb addict!

Jennifer Priest
Governor
Jennifer Priest
In response to KBSL

• treasured moments Said:

Also chococat is accepting donations of premade bookmarks. She has a bookmark challenge in the challenge forum. I think she plans on doing it every month until christmas.

Also there are a few organizations that accept scrapbook donations. You can google for them.

I make baby pages for the hospital in our area for the new parents to put foot prints on and keep as keepsakes. You could ask about something like that.

I know that alot of youth programs also take scrapbook donations. You could ask you local youth groups if they do.

Just some thoughts.
Good luck!

Thanks for the plug!!! We have almost 200 bookmakrs now and it is only January!!! Please come help out--check my siggy for the link!

Jennifer Priest
Governor
Jennifer Priest
In response to Jennifer Priest

I am also doing a controlled spending challenge which is along the same lines as what you guys are talkng about--it is an officla challenge with points and you get a little RAK at end if you "win" but the point is to control your spending and use what you buy. Check my siggy for the link for that as well. You are all more than welcome to join. I will start it up again in Feb.

kikoinonia
Guru
kikoinonia

TEENYTAMI, lucky you! I've been spending form my grocery allowance ... but at least I'm the only one who has to live errr eat the consequences. =)

JenKaMus, congrats on the house!

Accountability is a neat thing ...

scrapbookbuzz ... I've been staring at some really neat patterned paper that I really WANT to use ... and I just can figure out how to use it ... yet!

Here are my first two pages of 2007! (using all on-hand goodies)
mountain treasure - left mountain treasure - right

petergabrielfan
Queen
petergabrielfan

• scrapbookbuzz Said:
AS I was cutting some shapes out of pp last night, I realized something ironic: I don't really like pp. What I mean is, I like to look at it but I don't really use it that much in my layouts. Hmmm... So, why did I, before I started this thread, split a purchase of patterned paper with my friend? I must be an sb addict!

That's funny. My sister came to that conclusion too. I don't think she uses it at all now.

petergabrielfan
Queen
petergabrielfan

I completed that 32-page 6x6 album this morning for my cousin's fiancee. I even made her a card with my existing stuff, too. If the gallery ever gets back to normal, I will post.

Scraps4Two
Expert
Scraps4Two

can't wait to see it Sarah! I have some pages to upload as well but the gallery is sooooo slow...i know they are updating...guess i will wait a couple more days.

kikoinonia
Guru
kikoinonia

I uploaded two more pages ... but I wandered off and worked on some other stuff while it was loading.

scrapbookbuzz
Diva
scrapbookbuzz

Hello, all! I thought of all of you as I was in the thrift store and started to get distracted by all the cool ribbons and other things I could use as embellishments! However, I was victorious in that I bought nothing to use in scrapbooking. Unfortunately, what I did buy wasn't exactly what I was looking for, either, but I instantly found uses for!

For example, a bag full of two small Snoopy stuffed animals and a Woodstock (for my dh for V-day, because he loves Snoopy), a multi-activity cube for my 2 1/2 yo (it was only $1.99) and two dress up items for my 8yo dd.

Anyway, that's kind of OT...

How are the rest of you doing this week?

petergabrielfan
Queen
petergabrielfan

No shopping here, except a friend's birthday gift (scrap stuff). I got a bunch of stuff on clearance. Some friends and I are also doing a basket for another friend. Their son has a brain tumor (non-cancerous and non-fatal, but still very expensive as far as health care goes) so we can donate to the silent auction. They are doing a benefit dinner for the family and the auction is part of that.

scrapbookbuzz
Diva
scrapbookbuzz

No scrapping today but I did put some pics with cardstock to start putting layouts together.

Kitty_wOlf
Guru
Kitty_wOlf

i have to say that i'm at still at the stage of stocking up- since i still have a snall selection to work with....

i guess one has to have some stocks- but you have to be craeful not to go overboard....

scrapbookbuzz
Diva
scrapbookbuzz

Hello, ladies!

I plan on doing SOME scrapping tomorrow night after kiddos are in bed. But not too much because I have a BUSY day on Saturday. Maybe I can do something on Sunday...

Haven't bought anything! Yay!

scrapbookbuzz
Diva
scrapbookbuzz

Just popping in to say, "Hi!" while the kids are eating their snack. Probably won't be on again tonight...unless I have a chance to do some layouts and then I'll upload them! :0)

Have a GREAT day, everyone! May you discover MORE of the already exciting sb stock you already have in your homes!

petergabrielfan
Queen
petergabrielfan

Must confess I've been bad! I found a Sizzix Sidekick on clearance at Joann's for $15. I also bought two alphas for $40 each online. However, I spend a lot on alpha stickers, and my son's name has two of the same letter in it. I'm always running out of that letter and needing to go buy more. I decided to stop spending on alpha stickers, which aren't even a product I love, and get a Sidekick. I've looked at the Cricut, but it's not my style. I like the style of the Sizzix much better, and IMO it's a lot more portable. I've been looking at the Sizzix Sidekick for quite a while, and I couldn't pass up the deal. I did sell some books and things on Evil Bay to pay for my purchases, so I at least did some good.

scrapbookbuzz
Diva
scrapbookbuzz

You're so funny, Sarah!

scrapbookbuzz
Diva
scrapbookbuzz

At least there was a very thought out and valid reason for your purchase. :0)

Enjoy your sidekick!

petergabrielfan
Queen
petergabrielfan

• scrapbookbuzz Said:
You're so funny, Sarah!

I'm such a bad rationalizer!! My husband looked at me like I had lost my mind when I told him my "very valid" reason for my purchase.

You know what, though? I am going to try to make this my last sb purchase for a long time. I have been really good about spending. I hadn't bought anything since September, really. Anyone else want to share failures with me to make me feel better??

scrapbookbuzz
Diva
scrapbookbuzz

Hmmm, I'll have to think of some (sb-wise, that is).

kikoinonia
Guru
kikoinonia

I fell off the wagon today - met friends at a LSS for a crop. But I "only" got a few sheets of the new Blush Basic Grey and the Bazzill Bling.

Climbing back onto wagon NOW. I'm sticking to cropping at home.

petergabrielfan
Queen
petergabrielfan

• kikoinonia Said:
I fell off the wagon today - met friends at a LSS for a crop. But I "only" got a few sheets of the new Blush Basic Grey and the Bazzill Bling.

Climbing back onto wagon NOW. I'm sticking to cropping at home.

Join the club, Kristina. I was worse than you (look 6 posts above this one).

Scraps4Two
Expert
Scraps4Two

I have to say Sarah that at least it was something you will get a lot of use out of. I tend to buy stuff because i "think" i "might" use it one day! Now i have more stuff than i know what to do with!
I didn't buy anything this past weekend. Hope to get some scrapping in today.
Hey, can we think of something to put in our siggy's about this unofficial challenge...like can we have a group name? My siggy is so lonely.

petergabrielfan
Queen
petergabrielfan

• JenWalsh Said:
I have to say Sarah that at least it was something you will get a lot of use out of. I tend to buy stuff because i "think" i "might" use it one day! Now i have more stuff than i know what to do with!
I didn't buy anything this past weekend. Hope to get some scrapping in today.
Hey, can we think of something to put in our siggy's about this unofficial challenge...like can we have a group name? My siggy is so lonely.

Jen, you're enabling me!! Actually, I don't feel nearly as guilty buying non-consumable items that I'll actually use. I used to be famous for buying things I "might" use someday. Since my budget is tighter now, I don't do that anymore, but I'm still using a ton of stuff up from when I did!

Craftie Chef
Expert
Craftie Chef

I'm so glad to find more people like me.
I actually started the year with a resolution to spend NO MORE then $50 a mo on supplies well that flew out the window by Jan 6th.
So I have decided to at least use what I have on stock and put the new stuff at the bottom of each pile.
However I'm pleased to report that I work in a SB store, BOTH days this weekend and I didn't spend a penny!!!! Yea Me!

petergabrielfan
Queen
petergabrielfan
In response to Craftie Chef

Wow...that's awesome, scrampernut. If I worked in a LSS, all willpower would be gone!

scrapbookbuzz
Diva
scrapbookbuzz

Kristina, it's interesting that you mentioned 'sticking to cropping at home.' I was just thinking this morning (and last night) that I prefer to scrapbook elsewhere than home, because by the time I get around to cropping at home, it's around 9pm at night and then I just want to veg in front of the tv and NOT multi-task.

lauracrop
Expert
lauracrop

When I started sb a few years back, I bought and bought and bought. Now I try to plan my projects, go thru my stuff and write down what I NEED to purchase.

My lss offers a sb yard sale a few times a year where we can sell our sb supplies (paper, embellies, gently used tools, etc). Whatever money the store collects for us, gives us a store credit.

Wacky Watson
Guru
Wacky Watson
In response to lauracrop

I know. I just realised the other day when all the stuff i bought wont fit in their places. So far I have done 2 LOs from my stash and am determind to whittle it down.

I decided to set myself a target of 10 LOs and then i can treat myself to a new item and then try again next month to use more of it up.

Page 1 of 45 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics