Page 2 of 80 
Username Post: CRICUT 101        (Topic#1412667)
apejaz
apejaz 
Diva
apejaz
In response to luv to scrap

I have never used to the tools either, havent needed to and I have had it for a while.

As for the paper, I also just cut 12x12 in half. It works perfectly!

Anonymous 
  • Anonymous on 04-21-07 03:34 PM
In response to married05

• married05 Said:
Ok I have a question for you guys that have been using the Cricut for a while. Is it really necessary to but the Cricut tools to go with the machine? (The ones to get the letters off with)? Walmart had them for 19 bucks, and Joanns didn't have them at all. I just got the machine today and haven't had a chance to play with it yet.

What about paper - do you guys buy the special paper that's the right size?

Thanks!

I love the Cricut tools, personally the spatula is a must have, and doesn't come in the kit;' you can buy it on the cricut website for about $5 and sooo worth it; I also bought the tool kit about a month ago and find I use a ton of the tools,especially with the Disney carts because of all of the small peices.

Anonymous 
  • Anonymous on 04-21-07 03:37 PM
In response to Huskymom

As far as paper goes, I do use DCWV adhesive cardstock with the Cricut sometimes. It's not my favorite cardstock, I don't like the white core, but it makes it easy to adhere small peices.

MichelleSG
Veteran
MichelleSG

I use the CM multipurpose tool but had I not already owned it I would have purchased the tool kt. Heck if I can get it on sale somewhere I will probably still get it. An exacto knife will do you fine too but I don't like taking a blade to my mat (I'm clumsy) so it depends on how adept you are.

Prettylolo
Queen
Prettylolo
In response to Huskymom

• theboydbunch Said:
As far as paper goes, I do use DCWV adhesive cardstock with the Cricut sometimes. It's not my favorite cardstock, I don't like the white core, but it makes it easy to adhere small peices.

hmmm, never thought about it like that, that makes sense. and although i said i love the jasmine font, i must agree with deb that it is a huge pain in the rump to cut. i just think it looks so pretty when finished.

married05
Idol
married05

Thanks everyone! I can't wait to try it! Hopefully I'll have some time later tonight.

Anonymous 
  • Anonymous on 04-22-07 04:17 AM
In response to married05

Let us know what you make!! I'm so addicted to my bug...I don't know what I did before I had it!

scrapbook girl
Idol
scrapbook girl
In response to Huskymom

• theboydbunch Said:
Let us know what you make!! I'm so addicted to my bug...I don't know what I did before I had it!

I know! I was thinking the same thing!!! I can not even remember what I did??

djtobin
Idol
djtobin
In response to scrapbook girl

I used my mixed up cartridge yesterday and really love that one!

Anonymous 
  • Anonymous on 04-22-07 12:00 PM
In response to djtobin

this is my favorite cart! I even printed out quotes from it and put them on my bedroom walls! there are pictures in my gallery if anyone wants to see them

janet28rn
Queen
janet28rn
In response to Huskymom

Deb I loved looking at your cricut walls AND your altered pictures - such great work!

gg  loves Matthew
Queen
gg  loves Matthew

• scrapbook girl Said:
LOL!! that is so funny!! I can't wait to get home and use mine!! I am in Mexico right now, and am helping my SIL open a LSS and we are making LO for display. I am sooooooo missing my cricut right now!!!! I am having a withdrawl!

Where in Mexico? would it be Guadalajara?

gg  loves Matthew
Queen
gg  loves Matthew
In response to gg loves Matthew

Hi fellow Cricut users....I am on vacation in California...glad to see this thread is going strong!

I will be home after May 9th some time and will be back posting regularily!

Keep up all the great posts!

MichelleSG
Veteran
MichelleSG

20. The Cricut dust covers that you can purchase on evilbay are made by several women on the Cricut message boards. They prefer that you buy directly from them and charge less because they don't have to pay the fees. You can also pick which colors and styles you want, even have a cuttlebug cover made to match. Bug fashion, gotta love it!!

harvick
Expert
harvick
In response to MichelleSG

I have a Cricut question???? Does anyone know why you have to take the blade out to change the depth??? The little green blade holder thingy...

luv to scrap
Pro
luv to scrap
In response to harvick

I was wondering that very same thing. Mine seems to adjust just fine without taking it out. Anybody out there have the answer?

Anonymous 
  • Anonymous on 04-24-07 02:33 AM

• MichelleSG Said:
20. The Cricut dust covers that you can purchase on evilbay are made by several women on the Cricut message boards. They prefer that you buy directly from them and charge less because they don't have to pay the fees. You can also pick which colors and styles you want, even have a cuttlebug cover made to match. Bug fashion, gotta love it!!

I bought a denim one and love it!!

djtobin
Idol
djtobin
In response to Huskymom

Do you happen to know the site for these ladies?

proud_auntie
Idol
proud_auntie
In response to harvick

• harvick Said:
I have a Cricut question???? Does anyone know why you have to take the blade out to change the depth??? The little green blade holder thingy...

You do? I think I am using it wrong then...

tina c
tina c 
Diva
tina c
In response to proud_auntie

I think I read that they want you to take it out to change the setting to make sure no paper or adhesive is stuck on the blade. If there is you can jam up your blade.

MichelleSG
Veteran
MichelleSG
In response to tina c

djtobin, we can't post websites here but go the the Cricut messsage boards on Cricut dot com. They have a shopping section and there are a few threads there on like the 3rd page, duckfansx2 (I bought mine from her) and the other ladies are jwoolze and COVER_DA_BUG on page 4. These ladies are the ones that sell on evilbay but you can just email them and choose which one you like. I bought from duckfansx2 because I liked the fabric she had and the top flap was triangular, no other reason for preference though. They are all great sellers.

harvick
Expert
harvick
In response to tina c

• tina c Said:
I think I read that they want you to take it out to change the setting to make sure no paper or adhesive is stuck on the blade. If there is you can jam up your blade.

Thanks, it just seems like a lot of work just to move the number around!!!

djtobin
Idol
djtobin

Thanks for the info!

mmcrazy773
Veteran
mmcrazy773
In response to djtobin

Just came across this thread Its very helpful as I just got my bug about a month ago

jdtyjsfgbzdfbfgjh
Veteran
jdtyjsfgbzdfbfgjh

Thanks for the post! I will be getting my cricut soon and can't wait. I was wondering if you have found a way to get the letters larger? I'd like to do some monogram pages and the bigger the better! I would wait for the new critcut that is comming out but it is going to be a lot more expencive (it has a 12" setting).
Thanks for the tips!

Anonymous 
  • Anonymous on 04-25-07 03:23 AM
In response to jdtyjsfgbzdfbfgjh

If you haven't already done so, you have to check out the cricut message board!! It is awesome!!! Almost as great as this one

tina c
tina c 
Diva
tina c

Some have asked about cutting photos.

Here is it...
1st pic of the Cricut cutting a photo.

Here it is all cut.

The Cricut cuts the photo perfectly. Just like cardstock.

Anonymous 
  • Anonymous on 04-25-07 06:00 AM
In response to tina c

gorgeous! thanks for sharing! now I need to go through my pictures and find some to cut!!

djtobin
Idol
djtobin
In response to tina c

• tina c Said:

Here is it...

Here it is all cut.

What cartridge were you using for your shapes - just curious?

luv to scrap
Pro
luv to scrap
In response to tina c

• tina c Said:

Here is it...

Here it is all cut.

TFS I really like this idea. I'll have to give it a try.

tina c
tina c 
Diva
tina c
In response to djtobin

• djtobin Said:
  • tina c Said:

Here is it...

Here it is all cut.

What cartridge were you using for your shapes - just curious?

Doodlecharms

Prettylolo
Queen
Prettylolo
In response to tina c

i didn't realize it was necessary to take the blade out to change the depth. i just turn it to the # i need before i put in anything to cut. i have never taken it out and i have changed it several times.

Anonymous 
  • Anonymous on 04-25-07 07:51 AM
In response to Prettylolo

I also don't take the blade out to change the depth; I move the knob on the green holder thing

Shari82199
Diva
Shari82199
In response to Huskymom

So glad I found this thread. Awesome ideas on here.

I have never taken my blade out to change the depth either.

Does anyone have the Mini Monograms? I have a heck of a time if I'm trying to cut something small,sometimes bigger, with the script type fonts. It will tear in some spot and not cut for a little bit. Just thought I'd ask.

djtobin
Idol
djtobin
In response to Shari82199

Thank you - I didn't think that looked like something I wanted, but now I think I like it - OF COURSE!

MichelleSG
Veteran
MichelleSG
In response to djtobin

Shari if you think MM is bad try Jasmine, it's a royal pain with the little letters and tails! Try using a thicker paper, it tends to hold up better. And maybe slow the speed down if it isn't cutting through all the way.

tina c
tina c 
Diva
tina c

• MichelleSG Said:
Shari if you think MM is bad try Jasmine, it's a royal pain with the little letters and tails! Try using a thicker paper, it tends to hold up better. And maybe slow the speed down if it isn't cutting through all the way.

This is why I feel the spatular tool is a must. Even my thin paper with detail cuts are easy to scrap off the mat.

tina c
tina c 
Diva
tina c
In response to JayAndXansMom

I just found this info on the Cricut Machine Tips from Cricut ...
Easy Blade Height Adjustment
One of our favorite tips is to make sure that the black arrow on the green blade assembly is visibly facing out when installed. If the assembly is already installed, just loosen the arm thumbscrew and gently turn the entire assembly to face the front, then tighten the screw back up. Once this faces forward you can easily reach in and twist the top of the assembly to change the blade height WITHOUT needing to remove the assembly itself. It's VERY simply and quick. Try it!

So even though the book says to remove you do not have to.

Shari82199
Diva
Shari82199

• MichelleSG Said:

Thanks, I'll try slowing the speed down. I have tried both regular and thicker paper in with. I figure each font will be different and will have to play with it a little to perfect it.

scrapbook girl
Idol
scrapbook girl

Great ideas!!

Gina, I replyed to you question, but, I guess it did not go through. I am in a small town called Satalite right out of Mexico City.

El Kady
Diva
El Kady
In response to harvick

You don't have to take the blade out. You just turned the dial on the upper portion of the cylinder where you see the numbers.

djtobin
Idol
djtobin
In response to El Kady

Love this thread - thanks to all of you!

Plumb Krazy
Expert
Plumb Krazy
In response to djtobin

Good Morning everyone. I have had my Cricut for about a month and a half now, I love it. Also, I have a pretty decent start on my font collection thanks to the recent sale. I go through mats like crazy and can't go out and buy a new set every week, so I used the taping method someone mentioned towards the beginning of the thread. I use very thin masking tape and tape down all four sides. I have about four older mats and when I start a new project I take a piece of each of the papers I will be working with and tape it to a mat. This way before I even start my project I have four mats with my selected papers ready for cutting. It is kind of a pain to tape the paper so I do it before I even get going, this way I don't have to stop in the middle of a project to tape and untape. Also, my most recent font purchase was bags, tags, boxes and more, alot of fun to work with, you can make the cutest little things. I don't have the tool kit either so I just use a wooden tooth pick to pop off hard to get cuts, like the dots on i's. and flower centers. One of these days I am going to get some Post it glue, I think it comes in a glue stick form and see how that works with keeping a mat in place, also would be useful for pre LO placement, my cats won't be able to knock everthing off when I'm not looking.

scrappinbuddy
Pro
scrappinbuddy
In response to Plumb Krazy

I know there's a Wacky Tack post-it glue you can get from QVC - I've heard that you can apply it to the entire mat and make it like new. I think it's almost like a liquid that you let dry. Haven't tried it, but apparently it works great!

tina c
tina c 
Diva
tina c
In response to JayAndXansMom

Everyone is discussing renewing the mat but my mats become thin...so you can see thru them. I worry about trying to renew because my blade could cut right thru the mat. Does anyone else see this happening to thier mats?

cathyy
cathyy 
Idol
cathyy
In response to tina c

thanks for the great advice!!

Anonymous 
  • Anonymous on 04-27-07 08:29 AM
In response to tina c

• tina c Said:
Everyone is discussing renewing the mat but my mats become thin...so you can see thru them. I worry about trying to renew because my blade could cut right thru the mat. Does anyone else see this happening to thier mats?

this happens to me sometimes, too! I don't try to 'renew' or restick my mat; it voids the warranty and isn't worth the hassle to me, they are only like $10 for a 2 pack and I pick up a pack everytime I go to walmart; I go through a new mat like once every other week if I'm scrapping almost every night. I also mostly use Bazzill cardstock, which is a bit thicker and has more fibers.

teach6athome
Veteran
teach6athome
In response to Huskymom

I have found that a piercing tool works great for removing small pieces from the cutting mat!

MichelleSG
Veteran
MichelleSG
In response to teach6athome

Try cleaning your mat with a baby wipe. It doesn't void the warranty and it refreshes the sticky-ness of the mat.

HollyD
HollyD 
Mayor
HollyD

I would say if you can clean your mat, you aren't voiding the warranty. You're only voiding it if you re-stick it with some sort of product. The soap/water, baby wipes, or lint brush that people have suggested should all be "legal".

Anonymous 
  • Anonymous on 04-27-07 08:26 PM
In response to HollyD

You are correct about wiping the mats does not void the warranty, but if you add any type of additional adhesive to it, it will void the warranty.

gg  loves Matthew
Queen
gg  loves Matthew

• scrapbook girl Said:
Great ideas!!

Gina, I replyed to you question, but, I guess it did not go through. I am in a small town called Satalite right out of Mexico City.

oh, thanks...I have never heard of that town. I asked about Guadalajara because there is a sb store opening there too.....finally......it is 4 hours from me....but my mil lives there so we go often.

Shari82199
Diva
Shari82199

Well, I think I've finally figured out MM. I turned down my speed and even turned down the blade depth. I thought maybe it was tearing 'cause it wasn't deep enough, I guess I was wrong. Now to master it with CS.

tina c
tina c 
Diva
tina c

What is MM?

Prettylolo
Queen
Prettylolo
In response to tina c

• tina c Said:
I just found this info on the Cricut Machine Tips from Cricut ...
Easy Blade Height Adjustment
One of our favorite tips is to make sure that the black arrow on the green blade assembly is visibly facing out when installed. If the assembly is already installed, just loosen the arm thumbscrew and gently turn the entire assembly to face the front, then tighten the screw back up. Once this faces forward you can easily reach in and twist the top of the assembly to change the blade height WITHOUT needing to remove the assembly itself. It's VERY simply and quick. Try it!

So even though the book says to remove you do not have to.

shew! that's a relief too cause i didn't want to be doing something wrong.

Shari82199
Diva
Shari82199
In response to tina c

• tina c Said:
What is MM?

MM is the Mini Monograms Cart. Has proved to be a really hard one to master.

MissMoo214
Expert
MissMoo214

Just marking my spot. Haven't been able to play with my bug in a while but I did make the most adorable little scrapbook with it! I love how it came out so much that I plan on making 6 more as Mother's Day gifts. Will post pics once completed!!

Prettylolo
Queen
Prettylolo
In response to MissMoo214

can't wait to see them!

Anonymous 
  • Anonymous on 04-30-07 07:54 AM
In response to Prettylolo

I made flower bouquets with Walking in My Garden cart this weekend for my secretaries! I'll share a picture of them before giving them to them. They are a big "thing" on the cricut message board so I had a lot of help making them.

tina c
tina c 
Diva
tina c
In response to Huskymom

• theboydbunch Said:
I made flower bouquets with Walking in My Garden cart this weekend for my secretaries! I'll share a picture of them before giving them to them. They are a big "thing" on the cricut message board so I had a lot of help making them.

Did you post a pic in your gallery?? Hope hope. This is the cart. I want.

stephie
Idol
stephie
In response to tina c

i love this cart - so much fun

tina c
tina c 
Diva
tina c
In response to stephie

OK was on Cricut...and love some of the new cart. like Speaking of Winter, and Fall. These would make very creative titles and embellies on pages.

Anonymous 
  • Anonymous on 04-30-07 08:34 AM
In response to tina c

I haven't taken/posted a picture yet, but I will asap

amylashelle
Veteran
amylashelle
In response to Huskymom

I discovered this tip by accident last night. Put your bug on the highest pressure setting (meaning 1) and cut letters of a word or a shape on vellum. It doesn't actually cut through the vellum, but it leaves a cool impression on it. You can then put the vellum on some colored CS and the impression shows up quite well!

tina c
tina c 
Diva
tina c
In response to amylashelle

I was reading forums on Cricut and saw pics and info of this...

While watching the video of the Expression machine, they said that it would cut chipboard by cutting the same piece several times to get through the thick layers. I wondered if it would be possible to do the same with my Cricut, and it worked beautifully!!!!!
I placed my chipboard on my mat, and taped both edges using masking tape for added stability. Using a new blade, I used Base Camp cartridge, and pressed Load Paper. I chose the capital letter H at 5 and 1/2", pressure on 6 and pressed cut. Don't remove your mat from the machine! When it had completed I pressed Load Paper again and it went back to the start. I pressed repeat last and then Cut again. It cut the card in exactly the same spot as before, cutting a little deeper. I did this a total of three times altogether, and then removed the mat.
This is the result!!
I am impressed!

Then someone shared that that is what they are doing with Shrink plastic.

Bonus I thought. Oh almost forget to say LindaF came up with this

Edited by tina c on 04-30-07 08:53 AM. Reason for edit: LindaF credit

djtobin
Idol
djtobin
In response to tina c

Cool!

tina c
tina c 
Diva
tina c
In response to amylashelle

• amylashelle Said:
I discovered this tip by accident last night. Put your bug on the highest pressure setting (meaning 1) and cut letters of a word or a shape on vellum. It doesn't actually cut through the vellum, but it leaves a cool impression on it. You can then put the vellum on some colored CS and the impression shows up quite well!

OMG you can make embossing prints wow OK I know what I am doing tonight. Thanks.

Shari82199
Diva
Shari82199
In response to tina c

Anxious to see the Walk in My Garden cards. I too really want that cart.

Anonymous 
  • Anonymous on 05-01-07 02:44 AM

I have some cards in my gallery that I used WIMG to make!!

tina c
tina c 
Diva
tina c
In response to Huskymom

Thanks theboydbunch for sharing.

HollyD
HollyD 
Mayor
HollyD
In response to tina c

Thanks for the repositionable tape idea that was posted a while back . . . I used it last night, and it worked GREAT!! So happy.

scrapbook girl
Idol
scrapbook girl
In response to HollyD

I am really wanting a new cartridge!!!! Which one should I get. My B-day is friday and I am HOPING to get one, but I need to make my wishes clear!

Anonymous 
  • Anonymous on 05-02-07 05:12 PM

there are carts on sale right now; including disney; if you're interested in the site address; pm me! I just ordered going places for $49.99

cathyy
cathyy 
Idol
cathyy
In response to Huskymom

awesome idea about the vellum!! TFS

HollyD
HollyD 
Mayor
HollyD
In response to cathyy

I finally got opposites attract!! Just in time for my crop tomorrow. So excited. Any suggestions on cool things to do with it?

Anonymous 
  • Anonymous on 05-04-07 07:58 AM
In response to HollyD

It's an awesome cartridge, but does take the getting used to; the "tails" of the letters are very long!!

michongarf
Diva
michongarf
In response to Huskymom

lol...I have been sort of following this and all the info...even though I do NOT own one yet. I told my family that IF I did NOT get one for Mothers day, I was NOT speaking to theM!! lol
I usually dont do this, but I REALLLLLLLLY want a CRICUT!!!! lol
I love that new flower/garden cart too. I just saw it on another site today! cool

scrapbook girl
Idol
scrapbook girl
In response to michongarf

Cool! I just got enough birthday money to buy a new cart!!!

luv to scrap
Pro
luv to scrap

You'll have to let me know about opposites attract. I REALLY want that one but wonder how hard it is to work with.

scrappinmac
Expert
scrappinmac

My DH dialed the phone so I could order the cricut on QVC today!!!! (where's that "drama smilie"?) Hopefully it will ship before the June 5th date, but I'll have to be patient.

It comes with 2 cartridges and it can trace the shape before it cuts it, so the shape is outlined already. Woohoo! I need to save this thread to my favorites, and study it over the next few weeks. Happy NSD to me!!

scrapbook girl
Idol
scrapbook girl
In response to scrappinmac

today, in honor of NSBD......... guess what I did...... I was dareing and went to Joann's and baught a new cartridge for my cricut!!! I have only had the George cart since I got it for Christmas!! I got Opposites attract! I am having so much fun playing with it!! I will post a LO I made with it!!!

scrapbook girl
Idol
scrapbook girl

• scrappinmac Said:
My DH dialed the phone so I could order the cricut on QVC today!!!! (where's that "drama smilie"?) Hopefully it will ship before the June 5th date, but I'll have to be patient.

It comes with 2 cartridges and it can trace the shape before it cuts it, so the shape is outlined already. Woohoo! I need to save this thread to my favorites, and study it over the next few weeks. Happy NSD to me!!

WOOHOOO!!!! You are going to LOVE it!!!!! Aren't those hubbys GREAT!!!

djtobin
Idol
djtobin

I heard from a guy that works at Michaels that the new cricut does not use the old cartridges - I think that stinks!! I love my older version, so will stick with it and hope to see the cartridges fall a lot in price.

I cut pictures with mine last night and it worked great!

tina c
tina c 
Diva
tina c
In response to djtobin

• djtobin Said:
I heard from a guy that works at Michaels that the new cricut does not use the old cartridges - I think that stinks!! I love my older version, so will stick with it and hope to see the cartridges fall a lot in price.

I cut pictures with mine last night and it worked great!

The new cricut does use the old cart. The new cricut just release a bunch of new cart. that also will work in our original machine but is focused at the new machine for teachers. So they can print big elements for classrooms. The cart. say on the box for both machines...so that is why a lot of places have been clearancing down the price...just because our old boxes will not say the new machines name on them. The Cricut web site has a demo of the new machine and says all cart are inter changable.

janet28rn
Queen
janet28rn
In response to tina c

Thanks for clarifying Tina! I had heard the same but was starting to wonder. I did check out the website the other day - lots of neat stuff!

djtobin
Idol
djtobin
In response to janet28rn

Yes, thanks - the guy at Michaels (an employee) really seemed to know his stuff. Sorry for the confusion!

scrappinpeach
Expert
scrappinpeach

I want Opposites Attract, but everywhere I go, there always out of them.

Anonymous 
  • Anonymous on 05-07-07 04:06 AM
In response to scrappinpeach

You can special order them from J's and there is still one coupon floating around that doesn't exclude the carts and expires in June!!

Shari82199
Diva
Shari82199
In response to Huskymom

Wish I could find that coupon. I see opposites attract around where I'm at all the time. Send me some money, I'll get it for you.

Have a great week.

djtobin
Idol
djtobin

Here are a couple layouts that I did for a friend's daughter. The letters and flowers were cut out of pictures of her dress.

http://www.scrapbook.com/galleries/41635/view/ 819575/-1...
http://www.scrapbook.com/myplace/index.php?mod=gallerie...

scrapbook girl
Idol
scrapbook girl
In response to djtobin

Great LO's!

djtobin
Idol
djtobin

If anyone is thinking about selling their old cricut for a new one, would you please PM me with the price you are asking.

Thanks
Darla

HollyD
HollyD 
Mayor
HollyD
In response to djtobin

Hobby Lobby had them (opp att) too . . . $5 cheaper than Joann's!! Which I found out about 30 minutes after I bought mine at Joanns.

Anonymous 
  • Anonymous on 05-07-07 04:03 PM
In response to HollyD

I'll see if I can find the link to the J's coupon that's still good on carts! I will pm you with it, if so

djtobin
Idol
djtobin
In response to Huskymom

Please PM me also - thanks

mmcrazy773
Veteran
mmcrazy773
In response to djtobin

I'd be interested in that coup as well plz! BTW I just got AK, any one got any tips for that one Im still playing with it

MissMoo214
Expert
MissMoo214
In response to mmcrazy773

Just marking my post. Great tips!!

married05
Idol
married05
In response to Huskymom

• theboydbunch Said:
I'll see if I can find the link to the J's coupon that's still good on carts! I will pm you with it, if so

Can you please pm me also? Thanks! I REALLY want a new cartridge, but my dh would kill me if I paid 60 bucks for one.

scrappinmac
Expert
scrappinmac
In response to Huskymom

• theboydbunch Said:
You can special order them from J's and there is still one coupon floating around that doesn't exclude the carts and expires in June!!

Is the coupon good for the store or just online? I'd like it too, please if you find it!

Anonymous 
  • Anonymous on 05-08-07 03:44 AM

the coupon is for in store purchases, not sure about online

Page 2 of 80 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics