Username Post: Cricut vs QK Silhouette        (Topic#1413053)
Cica
Cica 
Pro
Cica
  • Cica on 04-05-07 09:26 PM

I want to buy one of these, but don't which. Any feedback would be great.

Jewelybean
Idol
Jewelybean
In response to Cica

There's a pretty big difference, IMO. I have the Silhouette and LOVE it! The Cricut takes cartridges, so you have to buy each font, and the images. Silhouette will cut any font, and any image, so you don't have to buy them. You can buy them, as QuicKutz releases new images each month. It's a lot like the Wishblade . You do have to hook it up to your computer. I think it just depends on what you really want it to do.

Cica
Cica 
Pro
Cica
  • Cica on 04-05-07 09:53 PM
In response to Jewelybean

So anything that you have on your pc you can cut with the Silhouette?

Capucine
Idol
Capucine
In response to Cica

The fonts have to be TTF and the files gsd. There's tons of free gsd files on the web and you can purchase very great ones. I have my Silhouette since March and absolutely love it!

Here are some LOs I did with my Silhouette:
Easter Bunny Card
Snow prints

Here Kitty
Mayor
Here Kitty
In response to Capucine

Could someone give me a price comparison on these machines? I'm really wanting to look into them. Thanks!

zbelly_32
Veteran
zbelly_32
In response to Here Kitty

the lowest I have seen the cricut is about $199 and the sillouette is $369 (machine plus a free 20 digital download card) quite a bit more, but I think you can do more with it. oh and cricut only cuts paper 6" wide (so far, I guess a wider one is on the way) and QK does up to 12"

Here Kitty
Mayor
Here Kitty
In response to zbelly_32

I would love to have either, but the QK seems like it's what I REALLY want. I don't want to have to mess with cartridges. sigh, I'll have to save up money for EVER to get one though.

Nancy Keslin
Queen
Nancy Keslin

You might try looking around. The Silouette, Wishblade and Craft Robo are all the same basic machine. The Craft Robo does tend to sell for less. I have seen them for around $250-$270.

Vivian loves BLING
Deity
Vivian loves BLING
In response to Nancy Keslin

There's pros and cons to any of these.

With the Cricut it's cheaper up front but you're locked into their cartridges. But it's more portable and easier to learn.

With the Wishblade , Silhouette and CraftRobo, they cost more upfront but there's nothing else to buy. You can use ANY font that allows the outline feature. Not all TTFs do. You can also share files that you create with others and vice a versa. That's allowed in the WB forum here, by the way.

You will have to buy more blades and mats with any of these.

I do prefer the larger cutting area of the WBs. Plus being able to use just Xyron backed papers.

Here Kitty
Mayor
Here Kitty
In response to Vivian loves BLING

Thanks for your input ladies, it's always valuable to know what scrappers think of the machines.

MichelleSG
Veteran
MichelleSG

I think Michaels still has the Cricut for $139, sale ends today. The only reason I went with it rather than something that attaches to the computer is because I think I'd spend more time in front of the computer deciding which fonts to use than I would scrapping. At that point I need to move on to digital scrapbooking .

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics